Magento Ecommerce For Joomla!

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
The Boot Dr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Magento Ecommerce For Joomla!

Post by The Boot Dr » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:29 am

Has anyone heard anymore about Magento being available for Joomla 1.5.2 Stable and if so will I have to install JFusion also.

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:37 am

I tell ya, I am really hoping this happens - and soon (JFusion or not).
Magento's features just look so much more functional and sharp than VirtueMart.

The Boot Dr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The Boot Dr » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:56 am

A friend of mine said a retailer he knows is using Magento and it is quick and clean and has increased his sales because customer don't get frustrated and back out of the sale.

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:26 pm

Any updates on the Magento + Joomla integration ??

:)

da8iwr
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by da8iwr » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:17 pm

The Boot Dr wrote:A friend of mine said a retailer he knows is using Magento and it is quick and clean and has increased his sales because customer don't get frustrated and back out of the sale.
I have to say i truly dont believe that. VM and Joomla running on the correct hosting environment Vs Magento is very similar. Joomla is a lot more complex so yes it does run slower, but not to the stage where people will leave the site compared to Magento.

On all the sites i have running on my server, i have found almost no problems at all, and then when you update the sites to J1.5 with VM1.1 things are much better.

I dont think it is fair that people are comparing Magento (a brand new system) against 2 old systems that are out of date (J1.0 + VM1.0) and the new systems (J1.5 + VM1.1) which have taken many thousands of man hours to create are also sitting there.

Considering VM 1.1 isn't out yet, i dont believe your friend has given the new Joomla systems a try before just throwing them out and going straight to Magento.

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:32 pm

VirtueMart 1.1 has been released and is available for download.

While it does appear that VirtueMart has added some interesting enhancements, there still leaves much to be desired in terms of innovative/progressing module development and offering.

da8iwr
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by da8iwr » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:41 pm

Aha your right
I haven't checked for a few days, as i saw this and new it was soon
http://virtuemart.net/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=57

Looks like they have a new site as well though to make the whole VM corp id look a little better.

The thing is people forget, is that Magento is a commercial company who have a team of guys dedicated to this, for financial gain, VM is one bloke with a team of helpers that do things in their spare time.

VM has a lot of work still, and the support on their website is CRAP!!!!

I have had major issues many times and not had any responses at all, but as magento is commercial, then I'm sure they will be very keen for you to like their product or service.

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:56 pm

da8iwr wrote: The thing is people forget, is that Magento is a commercial company who have a team of guys dedicated to this, for financial gain, . . . . as magento is commercial, then I'm sure they will be very keen for you to like their product or service.
It's amazing to me, then, that they would not have had the aforethought to have created an integration for the most popular CMS systems - such as Joomla, WordPress and Drupal - as part of their initial release offering.

I suppose, if a Joomla user really wanted to utilize the Magento system (absent a stable integration system), one could simply post product links on their Joomla site that point to their altogether separate Magento store . . . though then one would have to painstakingly deal with layout consistency, link integrity, etc.

The best thing the Magento Team could do for the open source community, at this time, is step it up with development of integrations for the most popular open source applications - especially Joomla.

The Boot Dr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The Boot Dr » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:16 am

da8iwr wrote:
The Boot Dr wrote:A friend of mine said a retailer he knows is using Magento and it is quick and clean and has increased his sales because customer don't get frustrated and back out of the sale.
I have to say i truly dont believe that. VM and Joomla running on the correct hosting environment Vs Magento is very similar. Joomla is a lot more complex so yes it does run slower, but not to the stage where people will leave the site compared to Magento.

On all the sites i have running on my server, i have found almost no problems at all, and then when you update the sites to J1.5 with VM1.1 things are much better.

I dont think it is fair that people are comparing Magento (a brand new system) against 2 old systems that are out of date (J1.0 + VM1.0) and the new systems (J1.5 + VM1.1) which have taken many thousands of man hours to create are also sitting there.

Considering VM 1.1 isn't out yet, i dont believe your friend has given the new Joomla systems a try before just throwing them out and going straight to Magento.
Misunderstanding here. I wouldn't shoot down Joomla or Virtuemart. Everyone that has worked hard on this project deserve a lot of credit. The only thing I was bringing up about Magento is the check out page from what I was told was easier for the customer. Also in trying to setup multiple sizes of an item I ran into a problem doing this. Most likely this is due to my being new to the Joomla/Virtuemart world. If you know of some good tutorials please let me know.

Thanks

cpetrauskas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cpetrauskas » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:49 am

The best thing the Magento Team could do for the open source community, at this time, is step it up with development of integrations for the most popular open source applications - especially Joomla.
Believe me I'm chompin' at the bit for that myself but given finite resources (time, money, devs) I think the best thing that the Magento team can do for the open source community is... Magento.

I know for a fact that they are interested in some of those CMS bridges but Magento is not even a month out of beta yet. Let's give it some time to teethe.

C.

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Thu May 15, 2008 5:59 pm

I gotta say, just in reading the continuing upgrades and added features, I am getting closer and closer to thinking about abandoning VirtueMart and migrating to Magento. Of course, the issue remains that if I do so, it seems as though it will be difficult to bridge my established (or any) Joomla sites with the Magento ecommerce functionality . . . . unless they are maintained as two separate sites altogether, but with similar customized layout.

Has anyone here been trying out Magento ??? If so, any insight you can provide the community?

dax702
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dax702 » Thu May 15, 2008 6:17 pm

Magento does look nice and has lots of support and a rapidly growing community. But it's not the only one out there.

There's currently development of a Zen Cart Joomla component called Cartage, waiting to see what that's going to be like. I understand they are doing beta testing now.

Another very promising cart is LiveCart (www.livecart.com) It's commercial at $200 (and pretty much unknown right now), but I really like the backend admin (almost all AJAXified) with superb realtime filtering. The developer seems like a good guy too. I chatted with him at length on Skype the other day and informed him about the need for a fully featured Joomla component cart. Of course he said something like that would be a major undertaking. But he said a user integration would be possible. I'd have to say that LiveCart is my favorite as of right now. Yes some features are missing but he is aware and will add them (export to [spam], Magento-like promotion/discounting capability)

Also not to be overlooked is PrestaShop, still has a ways to go but also a contender perhaps.

And Freeway, I'm not crazy about the backend admin area. It doesn't come close to the filtering power of Magento or LiveCart. But it may work for some people who have specific needs that it fulfills (subscrptions, events. Freeway supposedly has Joomla integrations available but I have not checked those out....

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Thu May 15, 2008 10:31 pm

Sorry if this had been posted previously . . . . but a friend found this for me with regard to integrating JFusion with Magento - to at least merge user registration. Not sure if it works, as I haven't tested it.

Nevertheless ---> http://www.joomla.com.br/blog/2008/02/1 ... mla-howto/

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Sat May 17, 2008 3:42 pm

this is old...

the current version of jfusion is 1.0.6c (1.0.7 is on its way). Currently the integration doesn't work.

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Sat May 17, 2008 4:23 pm

What is involved in getting the integration to work ??

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Sun May 18, 2008 4:02 pm

basically setting up a jfusion plugin to authenticate against magento db (this is ok) and force a magento session creation (this is a bit problematic).

"Problem" (quoted because I don't think this is a problem, as jfusion is getting better and better) is that jfusion is changing too much too fast and I don't have enough time anymore as I no longer work as a php dev.

icfjs
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by icfjs » Sun May 18, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi all, I have been struggling with magento for over a month now and I could not get it to work. Could anybody let me know if there is going to be a solution to integrate magento with Joomla 1.5? Its almost six month that the gurus from magento are trying for a solution and is a non ending story. I am currently testing IXXO Cart but the price is a bit high and it hurts, although it seems to be the only fully featured solution for Joomla for the time being. Any other ideas?

dax702
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dax702 » Sun May 18, 2008 9:42 pm

You could go my route and just have your shopping cart be separate from Joomla. Hire someone to make whichever shopping cart's template you decide to go with look the same as your Joomla site template. That way the customer doesn't realize he's not "in" the Joomla website anymore. I've been testing LiveCart www.livecart.com for a few days now and I really like the direction it's headed. Developer said a couple more weeks til the next version. Or you could go with IXXO or the other one, forgot what it's called but yes, they are expensive solutions.

Then again, if you were to go with Magento, you would still have to hire someone to make its template match the Joomla one and I don't know how much that would cost. It seems that anyone doing Magento work charges big bucks from what I've seen so far.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Mon May 19, 2008 10:00 am

Hi Everybody,

I have started a chipin project for JFusion, that will hopefully allow me to work full-time on developing an integration for Magento. Many new functions will be implemented, including a master/slave functionality and the option to integrate multiple software simultaneously. For a complete list of improvements and on how to donate go to:

http://jfusion.chipin.com

Your donations and help to spread the word on this chipin project would be greatly appreciated. With your help a fully developed Joomla-Magento integration could be as little as two weeks away.

Thank you,

Marius van Rijnsoever
JFusion developer
JFusion is a revolutionary new universal user integration tool for Joomla. Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more details.

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Any update on this project - or general integration of Magento with Joomla ??

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:20 pm

I started a thread/poll over on the Magento Community Forum in effort to try and get the Magento Development Team to make CMS integration (especially Joomla) a top priority.

See the thread/participate in the poll here --> http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/9915/

:D

||NeX||
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ||NeX|| » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:56 pm

I added my comment.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:19 am

good idea, I hope to see an involment between the Magento team and the Joomla one for a better integration too.
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:22 pm

It seems as though Marius over at JFusion is very close to releasing his latest integration project - though I am not entirely sure Magento is included within this upcoming release. Anyone know anything more detailed?

???

andyshare
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andyshare » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:34 pm

Help needed from Magento developers. Marius, the JFusion developer is about to publish a developers guide. His recent answer on the integration work developments is:

“Only the phpBB3 JFusion plugin has the capability of being a JFusion slave at the moment. The other plugins (including magento) do not have the updateUser() function that allows JFusion to create/update a magento user. I would certainly appreciate the help of the community for creating these functions. That is why I added the developers manual on my todo-list for the next couple of days, as this guide would open up development to other developers.”

Please watch this thread for development updates: http://jfusion.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=572.

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Any updates on this?

andyshare
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andyshare » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:56 pm

The expected new version of JFusion (1.0.7) has been released (though the bugs are still being resolved). It's completely rewritten version that allows integration of various third-party applications. For Magento, a specific plugin needs to be programmed. According to JFusion developer this should be pretty easy (for those familiar with programming Magento). So now, it's up to enthusiast programmers who can devote some time.

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:56 pm

Don't we have a bunch of these people here - enthusiast programmers?

dax702
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by dax702 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:44 pm

I'm still debating whether to go open source and free with Magento or pay for a shopping cart and be able to get good tech support... Magento's tech support packages start at $500 per year.....

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:37 am

it's up to you... maybe you could start by free and if necessary and if not satisfied, well, in that case you maybe can take a look at a commercial stuff
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”