Magento Ecommerce For Joomla!

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Frankd4
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Magento Ecommerce For Joomla!

Post by Frankd4 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:42 pm

CirTap wrote:@Frank: good car crash, hum? -- and I was called harsh ;)
You made good points throughout, especially abut the front-ends simplicity. Magento's interface, and Im not talking about the "looks", is well designed with easy-to-use features you can also find on VM's own todo list.

I should have said 'bad' car crash. Four folks is not very deep. Heck, they could get in an argument and that could be the end.

I don't worry about getting support from either Varien (purchased) or the Magento community (free); +10k members in ~12 months, numbers growing. Their forum software suxx, but I was able to find my answers.
Varien's new "partner programm" is a serious (professional + commercial) approach to support shop owners (my clients) and implementors (that's me). They definitely Think Big <g>.
The Magento site is becoming pretty busy recently -- and slow; the production release is expected by the end of this month -- unless there's a bus crash.
Let's see if their staff manages to iron out the ~300 "high/normal" severity issues in their bug-tracker <g>
CirTap
Thinking big is not necessarily good. Rapid or uncontrolled growth kills more small businesses than any other cause. How are these Irubin Consulting folks financed? If they grow too fast they will lose control of their company to investors.

Looking at Magento's forum it looks like they are doing well -- a very low number of unanswered posts. Like I said, I am looking forward to using this product.
I may not be very good, but at least I'm not too fast.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CirTap
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by CirTap » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:58 pm

Frankd4 wrote:How are these Irubin Consulting folks financed? If they grow too fast they will lose control of their company to investors.
maybe you're right, but I can't tell, ask Mr. Rubin :)
Meanwhile you may have a look at: http://www.varien.com/
Varien wrote:Our clients include Zend (the PHP company), The Hollywood Reporter, Microtek, La Curacao, Elsewares, and hundreds more. Our solutions generate our customers over $150 million/year in sales.
CirTap
You can have programs written fast, well, and cheap, but you only get to pick 2 ...

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams

Frankd4
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Frankd4 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:08 pm

I am all for these guys. Their product looks great. I'll post back if I am able to get it up and running and let you know what my experience is with their forum.
I may not be very good, but at least I'm not too fast.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dalex
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dalex » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:00 pm

I have been using magento for the past month and I agree with what has been said.

Their forums it seems that they only reply to posts Monday through Friday "Makes sense"

dalex
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dalex » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:05 pm

There looking for beta testers of the Magento and Joomla...

Read More:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/group/bl ... group/141/

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:43 pm

The last post in that thread is in February . . . one would have hoped that some of those beta-testers would have/could have provided some feedback by now.

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:23 am

hhehe having no beta testers is quite frustrating. but the project is froze until the release of a stable version of magento (the code is changing too much and too quickly to keep this plugin up-to-date.. sorry guys).

cheers,
bigo

unleash.it
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by unleash.it » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:00 pm

Bigodines, sorry that I just disappeared on you. Basically I was having problems installing the current version of Magento. After going to their forum, I found numerous posts on people having trouble with Windows servers. About the same time I came down with mono...so I haven't spent much time on it. At this point I agree with you and I'm just going to wait until the final release comes out, which shouldn't be long. Do you know if there are any plans for adding plugin support to Jfusion, or if that's even possible?

As for the disussions we were having about Virtuemart, in my opinion I don't think they're off topic. They may have been a bit long winded :eek: but then again it's not always easy to say what you need to say in a sound byte (just be thankful we aren't in the times of Plato my friends!). But luckily for me, I'm a very fast typist... Anyways, I think most people here are excited about Magento, but may be interested in comparing the alternatives and the pluses/minuses of Magento integration. I'm excited about seeing the options for Magento/Joomla evolve, but in the mean time I'm getting good results with VM. It's been interesting to hear the reviews from other experienced users, but I do find some of them (not all) a bit more negative than useful. VM could have a better template out of the box, but e-commerce isn't for complete newbies in my opinion. Anyone with a little HTML/CSS skill can make any interface they want without much trouble. The argument that e-commerce must completely integrate with a companies existing systems is I think still futuristic for most med/small companies. This will eventually change of course, but for now most of the companies I work with don't even fathom this. Even still, there is a commercial plug-in for VM that is said to integrate with [spam] and possibly other software such as UPS.

My point is simply please don't knock something too heavily simply because it doesn't work for you. Certain customers will require more, but I believe VM has potential and I don't see why it can't succeed as long as it receives our support. At any rate, I don't think it will go away any time soon for Joomla users unless a true integration of Joomla/Magento (or something else) shows up.

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:25 pm

Don't forget, too, that VirtueMart is OPEN SOURCE - which means that anyone can modify the code any way they want, or build components/modules/plugins to their hearts content. If there is something that VM doesn't do/have now that one wants, post a project on joomlancers.com or ifreelance.com - I'm quite sure one can find a php guru who would be able to assist you (for a price, of course).

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:43 pm

I'm not gonna say anything about VirtueMart. We're all free to use whatever fits our needs.

About magento, I do plan to release a plugin version for Magento 1.0. But I'm waiting the stable release to start coding (code is changing too much and too fast right now..)

-bigo

unleash.it
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by unleash.it » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:54 pm

B- The Virtuemart discussion was intended for those involved. As far as your Magento integration, I'm still curious about it and would be glad to help test it when the stable comes out and you're done.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:56 pm

Maybe offtopic.. but have you seen openfreeway? http://www.openfreeway.org now with Joomla 1.5 integration...

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:37 am

brad wrote:Maybe offtopic.. but have you seen openfreeway? http://www.openfreeway.org now with Joomla 1.5 integration...
I'd like to see a comparison between Magento vs FreeWay...
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

unleash.it
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by unleash.it » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:12 pm

This is interesting. I noticed the extension go up a few weeks ago, but I didn't think much about it at the time since it was called "Freeway Link". That may have been a bit misleading.

Freeway certainly has some great stuff that VM is lacking, including the ability to book events, sell subscriptions, an affiliate program and newsletter system built right in and a lot more. Also it seems like they're pretty ambitious if you check out their roadmap. However, from just the quick glance I took I don't think the Joomla integration is quite ready for prime time. It sounds like it will improve, but right at this moment it seems to be missing some basic things like listing a category of products (either as a page or in a menu) and SEF urls (within Joomla). From their forum, one of the developers I believe:
The Category linking is coming very soon. We are testing it now before a release.

Integrating Freeway admin into Joomla - Wow, don't think we have enough energy for that in the near future!

Freeway SEO inside Joomla is interesting. I have not tested the Freeway search engine friendly URLs inside Joomla. As you know, we have a lot of work to do on templates before we are satisfied they are optimized.
Here's a link to their Joomla 1.5/Freeway Guide:
http://www.openfreeway.org/extensions/e ... 60ef5c6d1a

One thing you do get with this that's really cool are a set of modules that install into Joomla. However correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like some of the functions you might expect are missing. That said, I would gladly step aside for anyone who has time for a more in depth review.

Damian Hickey
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Damian Hickey » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi,

I would strongly recommend you take a close look at the Freeway extensions for Joomla now as a way to sell your products and services very flexibly and powerfully right now. The extensions and Freeway is GPL so it binds very nicely with Joomla.

A number of Joomla sites With Freeway products and or events inside Joomla are close to Go Live. We are building some production sites ourselves, one for Joomla Day Byron Bay which will handle ticketing for that event. You can review a demo of the extensions at http://www.openfreeway.org/demo/joomla15 In the demo, you will see how the sale of products is integrated and the sale of event ticketing, services (represented in the demo by tennis court bookings) and subscriptions of various types.

Based on the feedback from testers, we will be able to change the status of these Freeway extensions for Joomla to Stable at the weekend. Again, many thanks to all the Joomla developers who have provided feedback on the extensions.

Cheers,

Damian Hickey
Damian Hickey
www.jentla.com
+61 (0) 415 981 852
email [email protected]

HADEE_16
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HADEE_16 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:46 am

Can I use for joomla 1.5.2?
http://www.118cd.com فیلم نرم افزار بازی های روز دنیا
http://www.drlearn.irکلیه ماژولها و کامپوننتهای تجاری به صورت رایگان و نول شده وآموزش کامل جوملا

Damian Hickey
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Damian Hickey » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:52 am

Hi there,

Are you referring to Freeway, if so, we have integrations for both Joomla 1.0 and 1.5.

Cheers,

Damo
Damian Hickey
www.jentla.com
+61 (0) 415 981 852
email [email protected]

Hils
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Hils » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:54 am

Damian Hickey wrote:... You can review a demo of the extensions at http://www.openfreeway.org/demo/joomla15 In the demo, you will see how the sale of products is integrated and the sale of event ticketing, services (represented in the demo by tennis court bookings) and subscriptions of various types.
Could you check this link please Damian - I am getting a 'forbidden' message and I can't wait to check it out!!
Founder Member of OpenTranslators & Joomla Community Member
https://twitter.com/HilsCheyne

Damian Hickey
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Damian Hickey » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:22 am

Woops! Can you try to have a look at the demo now?

http://www.openfreeway.org/demo/joomla15

Cheers,

Damo
Damian Hickey
www.jentla.com
+61 (0) 415 981 852
email [email protected]

Hils
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Hils » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:26 am

Damian Hickey wrote:Woops! Can you try to have a look at the demo now?

http://www.openfreeway.org/demo/joomla15

Cheers,

Damo
Works fine now - thank you. ...I shall have a good look :)
Founder Member of OpenTranslators & Joomla Community Member
https://twitter.com/HilsCheyne

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:23 pm

visiting the demo, but I hope not to miss a good Magento only for a problem of "integration"...
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

||NeX||
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ||NeX|| » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:19 am

So what's the state now? There is no official release for Joomla integration, but they plan to do?

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:16 pm

AFAIK, we'll never see an official integration between joomla and magento.

i'll start working on the unofficial integration :P

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:40 pm

That would be fantastic . . . I wish I understood php coding/programming well enough to help out.
Alas, I do not ... It might as well be written in martian.

What is involved in coding such an integration?

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:27 pm

for those interested in helping out. I've published a preview of the plugin which is available for testing.

This required jfusion ( http://www.jfusion.org ) 1.0.5e, Joomla! 1.5.2 and Magento 1.0

More details (and download link) available here:
http://www.joomla.com.br/blog/2008/04/0 ... update-ii/

||NeX||
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ||NeX|| » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:12 pm

bigodines wrote:for those interested in helping out. I've published a preview of the plugin which is available for testing.

This required jfusion ( http://www.jfusion.org ) 1.0.5e, Joomla! 1.5.2 and Magento 1.0

More details (and download link) available here:
http://www.joomla.com.br/blog/2008/04/0 ... update-ii/
1.0.5e? You mean 1.0.15? I'd like to test Magento and if I can test with Joomla together I'll give it a try this month.

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:19 pm

I mean:

JFusion 1.0.5e
Joomla! 1.5.2
Magento 1.0

-bigo

||NeX||
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ||NeX|| » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:46 pm

Ok, so no support for 1.0.15. Then I'll wait till I try first 1.5 and Magento 1.0 seperatly. Thx for your effort.

Cheryl101
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Cheryl101 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:49 pm

Hi Guys,

I had seen mention of Dev (aka Freeway) earlier in these posts and I just wanted to let you know that the waiting is over. Freeway is completely compatible with J1.5. It took some patients, yes and some help from the Freeway forum, but through their great support I do have a very classy looking store running. My client is ecstatic because of the ease of use in the back-end - he can manage it fully on his own. His product sales have even gone up because it looks so great! We are guessing that people feel safer buying from now because of the professional appearance.

If you want to see go ahead: http://www.pathtoharmonycentre.com

For what it is worth, it really kicks butt so far over the other e-commerce extensions for Joomla. 8)

tcraw1010
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tcraw1010 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:06 pm

bigodines wrote:I mean:

JFusion 1.0.5e
Joomla! 1.5.2
Magento 1.0

-bigo

So, is this to mean that we are closer to a Joomla/Magento integration ??

;D

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”