Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions

Post by mariusvr » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:55 pm

It has been almost three weeks since the original report on this problem. There has been no comments or advice offered from any of the developers or heros on the forum. Is this the wrong place to be discussing this or do we need to sent out a personal email to Johan Janssens?
JFusion is a revolutionary new universal user integration tool for Joomla. Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more details.

stoopkid
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by stoopkid » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:23 pm

so is there any fix for this yet?
i can't install extensions.

aini
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by aini » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:19 am

I will try to find what is going on ...
be patient plz .....
just ordinary woman :-[
http://nuraini.net

pasamio
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pasamio » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:31 am

Can you please give an example of your extension that isn't installing properly. Are you trying to install a 1.0.x extension with legacy mode enabled and this is failing or are you using a native 1.5 installer?
Sam Moffatt
Updater, Installer and Authentication Systems
JoomlaCode Backend Systems
Pie.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:03 am

Thanks for the interest Sam, it is greatly appreciated. I tried a couple of extension, including the joomla 1.5 hello world extension from (with and without the legacy mode enabled(:

http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

I turned on debugging on in the global configuration and the error message when installing a new extension turned into:

*  JFolder::create: Path not in open_basedir paths
    * Unable to create destination

(ftp mode is disabled on my system, since Joomla has write access to all files and directories).

I tried to turn on the ftp system, but that caused an error, where the administrator global config page could not update any settings (it said settings updates succesfully, but no changes made). I'll submit this as a separate bug report with the configuration.php that caused the problem. (manually deleted the ftp settings and problem resolved)

I double checked the path in the configuration.php file and compared it to the path in my smoothly running 1.0.13 version. It is the same with the exception that I am running 1.5 in a subdirectory. Strange that the open_basedir setting is not a problem for 1.0.13, but it can't run with joomla 1.5

Have any other people successfully run 1.5 on a server that has safe mode enabled? My guess would be that at least for me the problem is caused by a bug that incorrectly forms the file path. Maybe other people can turn on debugging in the global config file and find out a more detailed description on what is going wrong.

Thanks, Marius
JFusion is a revolutionary new universal user integration tool for Joomla. Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more details.

aini
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by aini » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:17 pm

Hello mariusvr,

Which Joomla 1.5 version are you using now ?
I 've tested your problem in Joomla 1.5 RC3 nightly build (SVN trunk) and it works
I suggest you to try it again.

Last but not least....
if you wanna to report some bugs, please send it on Joomla Development Forum http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/board,199.0.html
this is better way to get respond quickly than in this place

maerkus.com
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by maerkus.com » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:46 pm

Well, I tried to modify my rights, but my webhost does not allow direct modification >:( (guess who I will be replacing? ???)
But they confirm the directories have been set to all access rights!

So I decided to give Wamp a try, I love it. I can install my plugins and components and I just upload my entire website to the internet and it works great. ;D. this way my site also stays secure. :P

It is a work around though, so I am still waiting for a good response to the issue. :pop

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:37 pm

Hi Aini,

I have tried RC2 and a clean installation of RC3 (both have this problem). Has this bug been fixed in the nightly builds?

Thanks, Marius

yoopilive
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by yoopilive » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:24 pm

Hello, I had the same problem as you with joomla 1.5 rc2, when I install a module it posts me the following message:

Warning!  Failed to move file
Unable to find install package

j'ai pu régler le problème comme ceci:

1- supprimer le fichier "configuration.php" qui est à la racine de votre site.
2- copier le dossier "installation" à la racine de votre site
3- tapez l'adresse de votre site dans votre navigateur (internet explorer, mozilla ...), il devrait vous emmener à la page d'installation de votre site.
4- remplissez les champs comme si vous allez installer de nouveau votre site joomla, sauf quand vous arrivez aux champs de la base de donnée : utilisez une autre base de donnée que celle utilisée déja auparavant.
5- quand vous arrivez aux champs de paramètres ftp faîtes ceçi:
  - cocher OUI pour activer le ftp
  - renseigner les nom d'utilisateur,mot de passe et cliquez sur détécter l'adresse de racine ftp, il doit le détécter automatiquement
  - cliquez sur paramètres avancés et activer le : et renseigner l'adresse host du ftp (exemple: ftp.monhebergeur.com)
6- cliquez sur suivant
7- quand il termine l'installation, allez dans votre espace d'hebergement copier le contenu du fichier "configuration.php" et coller le dans un fichier texte sur votre disque dur nommé également "configuration.php"
8- supprimer donc le fichier "configuration.php" sur votre espace d'hébérgement. assurez vous bien qu'il a été supprimé
9- ouvrez le fichier "configuration.php" qui est dans votre disque dur, remplacez les valeurs des champs comme indiqué en bas:

var $user= 'le login de votre base donnée ancienne installé auparavant dans joomla et que vous voulez utilisez toujours'

et var $password= 'le mot de passe de votre base de donnée installé auparavant dans joomla et que vous voulez utilisez toujours'

et var $db= 'le nom de la base de donnée ancienne installé auparavant dans joomla et que vous voulez utilisez toujours'

lorseque vous avez faît ces modifications, vous enregistrer votre document toujours avec le nom "configuration.php"

10- copier le fichier "configuration.php" dans le dossier où est installé joomla (où on a supprimé déja "configuration.php"

11- vous pouvez vous connectez à votre espace d'administration ( avec le login et le mot de passe que vous utilisiez avant dans joomla mais pas celui indiqué dans la dernière instllation).

Note importante:
lorseque vous créez sur votre disque dûr le fichier "configuration.php" il faut aller dans bloc notes et coller le contenu de "configuration.php" de votre espace d'hebergement comme indiqué plus haut, en enregistrant le document, tapez le nom "configuration.php" et assurez vous que le type de fichiers est mis "tout type de fichiers".

yoopilive
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by yoopilive » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:42 pm

I could regulate the problem like this:

1 to remove the file "configuration.php" which is with the root of your site.

2 to copy the file "installation" with the root of your site

3 type the address of your site in your navigator (Internet to explore, mozilla...), it should take you along to the page of installation of your site.

4 fill the fields as if you will install your site joomla again, except when you arrive at the fields of the base of data: use another base of data that that used déja before.

5 when you arrive at the fields of parameters ftp ridges ceçi: - to notch YES to activate the ftp - to inform the name of user, password and click on détécter the address of root ftp, it owes the détécter automatically - click on advanced parameters and to activate it: and to inform the address host ftp (example: ftp.monhebergeur.com)

6 click out of following

7 when it finishes the installation, in your space lodging will copy the contents of the file "configuration.php" and to stick it in a textual file on your hard disk also named "configuration.php"

8 to thus remove the file "configuration.php" on your space of hébérgement. ensure although it was removed

9 open the file "configuration.php" which is in your hard disk, replace the values of the fields as indicated in bottom: VAr $user>= ' the login of your base given old installed before in joomla and that you want use toujours' and VAr $password>= ' the password of your base of data installed before in joomla and that you want use toujours' and VAr $db>= ' the name of the base of old data installed before in joomla and that you want use toujours' lorseque you have faît these modifications, to always record you your document with the name "configuration.php"

10 to copy the file "configuration.php" in the file where joomla is installed (where one removed déja "configuration.php"

11 you can connect yourselves to your space of administration (with the login and the password which you use before in joomla but not that indicated in the last instllation). Important note: lorseque you create on your disc dûr the file "configuration.php" it is necessary to go in memo pad and to stick the contents of "configuration.php" of your space of lodging as higher indicated, by recording the document, type the name "configuration.php" and ensure that the type of files is put "very standard files".

aini
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by aini » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:02 pm

@mariusvr and yoopilive

Yup, it has been fixed several days ago

q_veta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by q_veta » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:34 pm

aini wrote: @mariusvr and yoopilive

Yup, it has been fixed several days ago

and where we can find this fixed version ?

Zazza
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Zazza » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:09 pm

mariusvr wrote: I have tried RC2 and a clean installation of RC3 (both have this problem). Has this bug been fixed in the nightly builds?
I have tried both RC3 and the latest nightly build (as of today) without any success.
I still get the ""Failed to create directory".
I am not sure if I am doing something (or what I am doing) wrong. Everything works locally on my computer running XAMPP.

@mariusvr - any luck yet?

Thank you aini, pasamio & everyone else trying to solve this!
Cheers - Zazza

q_veta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by q_veta » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:49 pm

I think I've found the solution.
On my local pc (using xampp ) it works without a problem if at the installation of joomla we have the right settings for FTP(not go to next step without to check the settings !). if you try to fix it later you can't check if this is correct and hard to find that .
For example if I will not set correctly the FTP root i receive this error :

* JFTP::store: Bad response
        * Warning! - Failed to move file

Zazza
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Zazza » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:32 pm

Many thanx q_veta! :D

I tried a new install, configuring the ftp settings and checking them
plus changing permissions for folders that needed to be changed,
before proceeding with the installation. And now everything works.

Once again - thanx q_veta!

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:31 pm

Tried the latest SVN, but problems are the same. Same error message without the FTP option enabled in global configuration.

It is great that other people have bypassed this bug by enableing the FTP layer. However, I want to run Joomla without the FTP layer. For starters because I don't want to upload 3516 different files by FTP (this particular host doesn't have the option of decompression of files uploaded by ftp.) instead I use an existing Joomla installation to upload and unzip Joomla 1.5

So the story so far: Joomla 1.5 without FTP layer enabled doesn't work on a system with PHP safe mode enabled.

Solution: use the FTP layer (as some people have done here), but I don't want to use the FTP layer and therefore I can not use Joomla 1.5 until these childhood diseases are cured. Joomla 1.0.13 works great on the same server and don't feel the need to spent most of my free time debugging these issues.

If a developer want to have a try to fix this problem on my server, give me a PM

Cheers, Marius
Last edited by mariusvr on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gavu
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gavu » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:01 pm

try this:

chmod 777 your-joomla-root-folder
chmod 777 /tmp
chmod 777 /plugins
chmod 777 /plugins/content

good luck

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:29 pm

cmhod 777 is not secure at all. Any program that need these kind of settings to run or install a new components sounds dodgy to me.

There is also no need to chmod the directory's as Joomla (i.e. www user) is already the owner of the files/directories and can write/modify/create any file or directory in its own path.

The reason why I insist that it is a bug in direct file access layer in Joomla 1.5 is that Joomla 1.0.13 runs perfectly on the same server with the same settings.

Cheers, Marius

pifette
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pifette » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:26 am

I have the same problem, tried the "chmod" action but I still have the following messages (different from what I read). Could be a different problem?
When I install the package com_jxplorer.v.1.5.beta3.zip (It says that is it only working with joomla1.5), I got the message:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 24576 bytes) in C:\wamp\www\isisFr\administrator\modules\mod_menu\menu.php on line 170

When I install the unzipped files from a local directory it says:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 54 bytes) in C:\wamp\www\isisFr\libraries\joomla\i18n\language.php on line 321

Did I do someting wrong in the setting of Wamp? or is it the same bug?

Autinhorse
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Autinhorse » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:53 am

I tried to change all possible directories to 777, but still not work.
I had a look of my tmp folder, I found every time I tried to install the template, there will be a new folder as install_471abe474521b was created, but it is empty.  The user of this folder is 'apache' and the permission is 755.
I tried the way to upload my template by FTP and install from directory, but failed also. Everytime I tried, I got error 'Unable to create target folder'.
I guess the problem is caused by the permission for different user in different phase of instaillation. Such as user apache to create a folder but user of php need to put file into it.

I am really surprise this issue has been put here for so long time but cannot be fixed. Maybe I have to move to 1.0.13.

q_veta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by q_veta » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:54 am

A part of this problem is also the PHP version we use .
For example my server use php 4.4.4 and local i use on my pc php 5 :) (I use xampp).
pifette you use wamp who's the old version of xampp and I', pretty  sure you use an version 4 of php.
On the php4 we have no chance to make to work our ftp settings (I have that XML  error )
Now I will request to my hosting company to change my php version on my server and I will keep you informed about the results

pifette
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pifette » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:32 pm

q_veta wrote: A part of this problem is also the PHP version we use .
For example my server use php 4.4.4 and local i use on my pc php 5 :) (I use xampp).
pifette you use wamp who's the old version of xampp and I', pretty  sure you use an version 4 of php.
On the php4 we have no chance to make to work our ftp settings (I have that XML  error )
Now I will request to my hosting company to change my php version on my server and I will keep you informed about the results
PROBLEM SOLVED !!! :laugh:
To others with the same problem! I was a problem of memory allocation in the php (for info I have version 5)
Edit php.ini and change in it
memory_limit = 20M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB by default)

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:01 pm

Good to hear you solved your problem pifette. However your problem was a different one to most people in the thread. As you had an error message specific to PHP being out of memory. Therefore increasing the memory allocation worked for you.

I would still like to see some interest of a developer or a Joomla hero, to give some insight on how to solve the problem for the other many people that have problems getting a basic functionality up and running of Joomla 1.5. As there is no solution in sight for the rest of us.

Cheers, Marius

jansverre
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jansverre » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:39 pm

I have the same problem, BUT I have two hosting accounts. Setting up Joomla! 1.5 RC 3 worked like a charm on one hosting and FTP layer works brilliantly. This hosting runs PHP 5.2.4 However I get some other bugs there like website won't load when using RSS feeds, so I tried my other host, created a subdomain, installed Joomla! 1.5 RC3 like before, made a FTP user, but when I try to install something I get the errors :

JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
Unable to create destination

But all was okay dring install when I assigned FTP user. On this host I run linux and PHP 5.2.3. It is really annoying that this happens and no info about how to fix it. And seeing it works on one linux host but not the other makes me extra mad at it. Im so totally tired of changing permissions everytime I have to change some code somewhere and files don't uplaod correctly. And on the host where FTP layer won't work the RSS thingie works perfectly.

might be something Ive set up wrong somewhere but some more info about the FTP layer would be great. maybe som settings somewhere, but Im not a good coder so Id need some points where to look :)
Last edited by jansverre on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

gspark
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gspark » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:51 am

I think any cms that requires the root to be chmod to 777 is at the bottom of the barrel in terms of superiority, joomla has way too many files that require chmod to 777

worcester4x4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by worcester4x4 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:22 pm

However I still have a problem with RC3 and installation of extensions..... I can't! Every time I try to upload and install any extension I get a JFTP Bad Response error. The FTP settings are fine with other FTP clients so I don't understand this issue, neither do I understand the lack of response about it; it's a major bug it appears and all we get is silence.

Never had any issues with 1.0.x

Does anyone have an answer for the FTP issues because 1.5 is currently unusable if extensions can't be managed! 

Pete
In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

jansverre
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jansverre » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:51 pm

Im no programmer but I think it must have something with the PHP servers to do seeing I have 2 hosts and it works perfectly on one of them and the PHP server is the only thing thats different (except mysql db, but thats not probable). What php version are you running? it works fine for me with php 5.2.4, but not on the host running 5.2.3. But the lack of soulutions on this problem that alot of people are experiencing is not good for the joomla! people :(

worcester4x4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by worcester4x4 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:23 pm

My server's running 5.2.4 whichis the version that works OK for you!  :(  ???

I really don't understand why someone in "the know" can't at least say that there is a problem and it's being dealt with or whatever??? Why the conspiratorial silence?

Pete
In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

rcarver
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rcarver » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:20 pm

I'm not "in the know" and I'm not a joomla dev, but I am a software engineer by profession and I've got over 20 years experience. 

I suspect that the largest problem is being able to reproduce the problem.  Personally, I've done 3 1.5rc3 installs.  All clean, converting data only.  I haven't seen anything remotely like this, and I don't have FTP on either.

The best way you can help the devs is to publish the knowns.  Stay out of conjecture.  Some things that might help:

PHP version
mySQL version
Server OS and version
Type of install (Clean Install/Upgrade)
Data Migrated or Sample Data installed?
Specific extension that won't install (I know for some of you its any, but for others it appears not to be)
Randy Carver - carver-family.com

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that understand binary and those that don't.

worcester4x4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by worcester4x4 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:39 pm

Agreed rcarver.

The problem is that I have offered this information but no one seems to be interested in asking questions. I, and others have posted about these issues and I have not seen one reply asking for more information. Come to think of it I haven't seen any replies at all, just total silence.

It's definitely a 1.5 (and in my case RC3) issue because on the exact same server I can run 1.0.x, PhPBB, FTP clients galore, etc, all with no problems at all. 1.5 itself runs perfectly fine, it's ONLY the JFTP issue that's the problem for me.

If a dev wants to see the site, needs a login or wants any other information then please ask and I'll provide whatever is needed, I'm more than happy to put in the time, I just want it solved as do several others.

Pete

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”