XML-RPC MetaWeblog API plugin

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
g0rg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: XML-RPC MetaWeblog API plugin

Post by g0rg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 pm

still testing and googling to find a solution but... ;)
maybe one step ahead...

I installed a fresh new joomla 1.5.11 stable locally with metaweblog0.9 plugin and rsd 1.3 plugin, and also web services activated .

by locally I mean: windows OS with wamp server 2.0 , PHP 5.2.6 , apache 2.2.8 , mysql 5.0.51b

Open a new M$ word 2007 blogging page, put a title , a text and insert a local image.
click on publish and ... EVERYTHING APPEARS CORRECTLY

That means that the way to upload images seems to be wrong , or a better answer would be , the ftp from my web provider requests different settings to do the trick.

What I know about my provider is:
- linux server
- i tried to get into the picture folder from the windows explorer and everything is ok, i can add , delete, rename files and folders.
- i chmoded the pictures folder to 777 , and it's ok.
- pictures uploaded are chmod 644

is someone experienced the issue ? ???

g0rg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by g0rg » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:11 pm

is there anybody in the house ??? :'(

zachbrowne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zachbrowne » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:46 pm

Awesome, implemented it on JoomlaAssist.com and it works great. I actually used MyBlog by www.azrul.com and then assigned it to the MyBlog section and it works great! Thanks a lot!

emagin
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by emagin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:43 pm

Has anyone gotten this to work with Google Docs?
http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=37571

I can make it work with ScribeFire fine, but GDocs keeps giving me
There was an unexpected problem (Server returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL: http://domain.com/xmlrpc/index.php?rnd2 ... 2005051581).

When you post to blog nothing happens
When you TEST it gives the error above.

Thanks

filmjbrandon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by filmjbrandon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:07 pm

First of all thanks for the plugin. Seems like it might be the answer to a lot of headaches I've been having trying to use full blogging extensions like WordpressMU - because Joomla works best with it's own Content. Before this plugin, I wasn't able to edit it except within the admin tool and that wasn't feasible for the client who was going to be using the site I built.

My configuration:

Joomla 1.5.12 Stable
Apache 2
Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10)
PHP v5.2.6-2
sh404sef
MetaWeblogAPI 0.9

Anyway, the errors we've all been seeing, are actually not errors, but related to the system giving "JError::raiseNotice()" messages when it attempts to read/write to certain directories. If your host has Warnings enabled in PHP, then this will cause text to be written to the standard output before the XML response is written - resulting in the error message you see.

Incidentally, it's unclear why, but the images are by default being stored in /media/USERNAME folder, so you'd probably want to fix that as well (there are TWO places where you need this fix).

You can either disable Warnings by changing your php.ini (outside the scope of this post), or just comment out the lines with the code.

Code: Select all

Line 587:      // JError::raiseNotice('SOME_ERROR_CODE', 'Could not make the folder writable');
Line 595:     // JError::raiseNotice('SOME_ERROR_CODE', 'Could not make the folder unwritable');
Also, if you want to fix where the images are saved look at lines 572, and 616. I was able to change this to goto "/images/stories" here:

Line 572:     $dir     = JPATH_ROOT . DS . 'images/stories' . DS;
and

Line 616:     'url'     => new xmlrpcval(JURI::root() . 'images/stories/'.$file['name'])
HTH,

FilmJ

bhavani2003in
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bhavani2003in » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:06 am

Hi everyone,

I am new joomla and I need to work with XML-RPC. I have read the forum for XML-RPC MetaWeblog API plugin, as Justo told, I have installed MetaWeblog and RSD successfully. I have even enabled the Webservice from site global configuration.

The next step mentioned was, need to edit the blog and create a new account by giving username and password.

My question is: Where and how to edit the blog and create new account.

Your help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

g0rg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by g0rg » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:51 am

In fact you need to know which blog feeder you want to use.
Some of us are using Scribefire, blogger, m$ word,google,live.etc...

Choose yours , you need to enter your blog account details.

nuxnix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nuxnix » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Thanks Joomla 1.5.14 works well now with with MacJournal 5.1.4 . Auto discovered. Nice Job.

rgreen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rgreen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:31 am

I've run into trouble with Live Writer. I can open, edit and report but I cannot seem to create brand new posts.

fidoboy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fidoboy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:49 am

Sundog_AK wrote:This "stripped xml parser" bug drove me crazy for a long time, since WLW worked fine and then stopped. For those of you experiencing the issue where the html tags are getting stripped out such as "<" and ">" so that the formatting is all mangled, it is a known bug between PHP versions less than 5.2.9 and libxml2 2.7.3. It was introduced when libxml2 upgraded around in mid 2008 to the 2.7.x series. This is why it can "appear" on your server when things were working fine if you are on shared server and they upgraded libxml at some point.

There was some "debate" about if it was the libxml or php bug, but I think in the end it was decided it was an issue of hack code in php that worked fine, up until the libxml team upgraded their package and broke the hack. This issue wasn't fixed in PHP until 5.2.9, which came out about 1.5 months ago.

The known fixes are to either downgrade version of libxml to 1 series, recompile php to use another library other than libxml, or to upgrade to libxml 2.7.3 or newer and php 5.2.9. Note these are server level upgrades, which will have to be done by your service if on shared server. You have to have both the libxml 2.7.3 and php 5.2.9 versions or it will still be broken since there appears to be some mutual problem code on both pieces of software on prior versions.

See:

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=45996
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... ec06b142b/

My service just upgraded to php 5.2.9 and libxml 2.7.3 and the issue was resolved for both WLW and ScribeFire.

Wordpress users had some patches on their end to fix regardless of the php and libxml versions.
http://blog.hoofoo.net/2009/01/14/wordp ... 2-version/
Many thanks for the info, i'm using xampp 1.7.1 on my linux server. Do you know how can i solve this problem? i suppose that i need to upgrade libxml2 in my php build, but i don't know how to make that (i've googled and no info). There is any other workaround to solve this issue? newest builds of xampp does use PHP 5.3 so i can't use it, because it causes many problems with joomla 1.5.

regards,

wallacemw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wallacemw » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:52 am

I found the following information very helpful. Right out of the box, it worked with Word 2007.

Prior to using this, one should set up a Blog Section and a Blog Category. Then, create a Blog menu item of type "Category Blog Layout", and set the parameters to Blog Category. Then, just follow the steps below.

I have not set up facilities for pictures (yet). So can't use the drawing aspects of Word, or upload pictures. That may involve using FTP. But this was a good start for me.

Retrieved 09-24-2010 http://reallyclicking.com/our-blog/39/1 ... g-api.html
Publish Joomla blog or Article via Microsoft Word directly – metablog api
Friday, 15 January 2010 10:26 Written by Troy

Wonderful people have posted in a forum some bits that put together the ability to connect Microsoft Word 2007/2010 and other blog publishing software to your Joomla site. I wanted to put it all in one place and help people get this rolling – this is a free and simple enhancement that helps you put content on your site in a much faster/easier way.
  • 1. Download the plugin from us, or the internet. (http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/metaweblogapi/frs/)
    2. Go into your Joomla site backend administrator
    • 1. Global Configuration -> System, Enable Web Services (ON)
    3. Plugins -> turn OFF the XML RPC plugin that is on by default
    4. Install the metablog plugin (linked above)
    5. Publish and configure the plugin by clicking on it in the plugin page of the admin tool
    6. Open Microsoft Word
    • 1. Write an article
      2. Share/Publish – to Blog
      3. New blog account
      4. Type: OTHER
      5. Type: change from Atom to MetaBlog API
      6. In URL: http://{yourdomain}/xmlrpc/index.php
      7. Username: your username
    7. Start having fun!
Will update this in the future with video tutorials..
There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who do not.

robbiebrown34
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by robbiebrown34 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi All,

I am having a little trouble getting the API to work correctly, unsure whether its the actual Plugin or the Iphone App (Blogpress)

Basically, I have installed the plugin and told it where to put the articles within the settings, in my case its "Blog/Blog Entries"

I can upload blogs absolutely fine, but they go to the wrong category, they go to "News/2007 News" and no matter what I try it just continues to go there. There is no way of changing the category within the blogpress app either.

I have deleted the 2007 News category, and now it goes to "News/News Archive" - I then readded 2007 news and it went back to there.

I then tried adding "News/Blog" - that doesnt work either.

Really confused here and cant for the life of me figure out why its doing that.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Regards

Robbie

Rafib
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Rafib » Sun May 29, 2011 5:22 pm

g0rg wrote:still testing and googling to find a solution but... ;)
maybe one step ahead...

I installed a fresh new joomla 1.5.11 stable locally with metaweblog0.9 plugin and rsd 1.3 plugin, and also web services activated .

by locally I mean: windows OS with wamp server 2.0 , PHP 5.2.6 , apache 2.2.8 , mysql 5.0.51b

Open a new M$ word 2007 blogging page, put a title , a text and insert a local image.
click on publish and ... EVERYTHING APPEARS CORRECTLY

That means that the way to upload images seems to be wrong , or a better answer would be , the ftp from my web provider requests different settings to do the trick.

What I know about my provider is:
- linux server (how to gain weight fast and weight gain)
- i tried to get into the picture folder from the windows explorer and everything is ok, i can add , delete, rename files and folders.
- i chmoded the pictures folder to 777 , and it's ok.
- pictures uploaded are chmod 644

is someone experienced the issue ? ???
Not sure dude.

Zaxxen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Zaxxen » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:56 am

robbiebrown34 wrote:Hi All,

I am having a little trouble getting the API to work correctly, unsure whether its the actual Plugin or the Iphone App (Blogpress)

Basically, I have installed the plugin and told it where to put the articles within the settings, in my case its "Blog/Blog Entries"

I can upload blogs absolutely fine, but they go to the wrong category, they go to "News/2007 News" and no matter what I try it just continues to go there. There is no way of changing the category within the blogpress app either.

I have deleted the 2007 News category, and now it goes to "News/News Archive" - I then readded 2007 news and it went back to there.

I then tried adding "News/Blog" - that doesnt work either.

Really confused here and cant for the life of me figure out why its doing that.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Regards

Robbie
Exact same problem. Blogpress just uses the "first" section/category, even though I set it up in the API... :(

thleeree
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by thleeree » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:43 am

API is no use here...
Spy Earpiece How does it work?
Undercover Operations With The Spy Earphone

erika_wilson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by erika_wilson » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:16 am

Same problem here... tried but failed. :(........ And how do you say that there is no use of API ?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”