User registration - after approval?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Alzibiff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

User registration - after approval?

Post by Alzibiff » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:39 am

Hello,
I have been learning Joomla 1.52 for around three weeks now and am getting ready to "go live" with my site. This will be a Cricket Club site whose content is generally available to all but with some pages restricted to those who have registered.

I have disabled the function which will allow users to self-register as I want to make sure that only club members can see the restricted pages. I would like users to complete a registration form, by submitting their name, username and EMail address but not be given immediate access to the restricted pages - I would match names against our membership list and then set them up in the backend - and then EMail them their password.

So... how to do this? I guess that I cannot use the "default user registration" menu item and need to create a custom form with a submit button - submitting details to the EMail address carried in the Joomla config file.

I am sure that this is a common requirement but cannot find anything in this vast forum or in the two Joomla 1.5 books which I have been working with - I have done plenty of searching believe me - this isn't a "lazy" post by any means.

Hope you can help.
Alan

NickWilson
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: User registration - after approval?

Post by NickWilson » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:08 am

There are a number of tools that can help you achieve this as far as I know. The most common one that I've come across is an 'extension' called Community Builder.

It may be slight overkill for this one function, as there are many other things it can do ... but it's probably one of the best known components of this class and should have great community support as a result.

HTH

Nick

Alzibiff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Alzibiff » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:51 am

Thanks Nick, I appreciate your time to reply. I downloaded that last night and read through the PDF on how to install it ..... and it failed at hurdle number one :( - I have had problems in the past installing plugins and components and suspect that it is all to do with permissions back at my provider's end. Saying that, some components/modules/plugins install with no bother so I am not too sure what is going on there.

If Communitiu Builder is the way to go, I will pursue it but I thought that what I am after would be a fairly common thing as allowing self-registration gives no control on who is looking at what on a website.

Alan

Geoff
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Geoff » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:11 pm

I have disabled the function which will allow users to self-register as I want to make sure that only club members can see the restricted pages. I would like users to complete a registration form, by submitting their name, username and EMail address but not be given immediate access to the restricted pages - I would match names against our membership list and then set them up in the backend - and then EMail them their password.
Use a form extension such as ChronoForm.
Backup, backup, backup!
The "Master" .htacess file by Nicholas http://snipt.net/nikosdion/the-master-htaccess

NickWilson
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by NickWilson » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Alan,

No worries. Sorry you are having problems with CB. It's a pretty widespread set of plugins to answer, among others, exactly the sort of requirement you have. I think one can even extend it to allow for paying susbscriptions.

Anyway ... guess that doesn't help at the moment. Maybe if you're happy to post the sort of error message you're getting, someone here might have a spark of inspiration on what's up and be able to help getting that working.

GL with whatever you want to try.

Nick

Alzibiff
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Alzibiff » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Nick .igeoffi,
Top advice and thank you. My site is now live and running Community Builder - quite excited about CB in that it seems to have a lot of features which I can/will experiment with over the coming months.

Also - thanks for pointing me to the form builder extension which again, will be interesting to look at for my site.

Now then ... just seen that 1.5.3 is available... time to look at upgrading my new 1.5.2 site.

Thanks again,
Alan

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”