my 1.5.3 sites refuse to install any extensions

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: my 1.5.3 sites refuse to install any extensions

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:25 am

Bill - Please stay on topic. Whether someone loves Joomla! or chooses another option is not the topic of this thread. Try upgrading your software to 1.5.3. There could be a bug fix that might resolve your problem. We can't help you with 1.5.2.

++++

ilox - Are you willing to share your admin ID so we can check out what's going on?

Who else is having a problem now?

Please keep strictly focused on the problem and we will try to help.
Amy :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:45 am

ilox wrote:How weird is this bug?
I fixed mine by upgrading PHP but not changing any permissions.
You seem to have fixed yours by simple change of permissions.
I wonder if we are seeing the same bug or different problems that when combined give the same effect - no installs - but are coming from different causes?

Just how long is it before someone who knows of this problem comes up with an explanation for it?.
mcsmom wrote: Most of the problems that you are seeing are caused by:

1. Unsupported versions of php
2. Failure to save the ftp information in configuration.php either deliberately or because of the next issue
3. Ownership of the files is incorrect

If you use the forum post assistant people will be able to help you with this.
Ian - you are finding to be true exactly what Elin has found given years of volunteer work in the forums and on the bug squad. These problems can be caused by versions of PHP, like yours was, or FTP configuration issues, or ownership issues, like the other person's was.

It appears your problem is resolved. That is fantastic - I'm only sorry it took so long - it can be VERY frustrating.

Bill - please please please get your Joomla! upgraded to current levels - we simply cannot help you if you are on old releases. Maybe the problem has been fixed! Let's at least rule that out.

Now that Ian is on his way and Bill has an idea to try, is there anyone else who still cannot move forward?

Thanks...Amy :)

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:09 am

Amy, my solution isn't available to all, in fact very few people can fix up their PHP. My PHP version before the update wasn't 5.04, it was 5.2 something. The biggest thing I did was get an extra module loaded up so that I didn't have the nobody ownership problems that batter many other folks.

I didn't initiate FTP like it was suggested, that didn't work, I blanked out all the FTP settings because I also read that you only need FTP set if there is some thing not working with your direct access.

I never touched my permissions yet my problem resolved. Why do others have permission problems when installing a fresh version of Joomla?

Now how can each of us have the same error messages, and the same outcomes yet fixing mine is way different to fixing another's problems. I don't understand how it can be anything else but something to do with Joomla, or at least something that Joomla is a partner in the problem. I just cannot accept the assertion that Joomla is squeaky clean and the whole blame lays on the customer for trying to use a product that his setup doesn't allow.
If it works for 1.5.1 then what exactly did happen within Joomla such that it stopped working in 1.5.2 or 1.5.3?
If it works with the 1.0.xx series then what is so different in 1.5 series that it cant work?

Surely that indicates that Joomla is part of the problem and therefore should be part of the solution? Well that is what it appears to me to be like.
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:08 am

Ian -

Joomla! is *not* squeaky clean - that's why Elin and I volunteer time on the Bug Squad. I sort of help out - she lives in the bug squad and can tell you where all the softspots are and what must be fixed and what the priorities are. When she says those are the three common resolutions, dude, that's money in the bank. Trust me when I tell you -- there is no one else who pushes harder for quality than Elin and she does that with testing, digging into the code, writing patches, testing patches for other people, connecting problems with the right people who can fix those problems.

Now, I get it that you are frustrated -- and looking back when you started this thread - hey! that's frustrating! But, you are now asking questions about other people's problems and they are not here to help us understand what their specific issues are/were. Can you see how that isn't going to be productive?

Now as far as whether it is Joomla!'s fault, or not, let's say it IS! Great! Now that blame has been properly affixed, let's find someone who still has this problem and see if we can help them resolve it by the time tested approaches of verifying the versions of PHP, reviewing permissions and validating FTP configuration issues.

Better yet! If someone can find a line of code that should be fixed and is willing to provide a patch, we are all over that! That would rock. If there is a way to improve Joomla! and we can work together find it - no one will stop us from applying that fix.

That's what we do, Ian, day after day after day. Fix things that are wrong with Joomla! and it feels really good knowing that the software is getting better and better and better.

Anyone interested in helping out? A fun way to get started is to join us the next two weekends for the Pizza, Bug and Fun event where we work together to smash bugs and get other work done for the project. All skillsets are needed. All Joomla! users are welcome. Ian - you are personally invited to join us - especially since you are an old timer around here -- heck - you might even have fun with us! So, please give it some consideration.

Bill - you are invited to join us as well. But, only after you upgrade to 1.5.3. ;)

+++

Back on topic - does someone else still have a problem? Step forward - don't be shy! :D

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:11 am

Jooming wrote:A problem that surfaced immediately after installing 1.5.2 (for me) was that every time I accessed Global Configuration from the back-end and tried to save my settings there, a dialog box would come up asking me which password I was trying to change??? I was never changing any password when in there. I was merely changing some server settings that needed changing. For what it's worth, this still exists in 1.5.1 as well! I simply click cancel when it happens now and it lets me save my settings. However, this bug shouldn't even be occurring at all! I don't know what is causing it, but I don't want to jeopardize my existing installation since everything else is working now and I DON'T want to have to start again!!!l
Bill, same problem still exists in 1.5.3, I just gave up trying to set the thing in Global and instead changed the settings manually in configuration.php. I blanked all reference to FTP!
I still have no idea why it thought I was changing any passwords but it caused me lots of grief with log ins until I decided to change it outside of Global config.

Now surely that isn't something to do with my permissions or my FTP settings?
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

Jooming
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jooming » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:17 am

mcsmom wrote:Bil, I have read the whole thread and you have not yet posted complete environment information according to the instructions given, but you know that right?
No, I don't know that. I provided everything I saw everyone else providing. It is too late to provide anything more on that install now since it has been deleted. But, I really don't see what else you would need to diagnose the problem?
mcsmom wrote:So far we know what causes it sometimes. Those are the issues I listed. They will 100% of the time cause this problem.

If you have php 5.0.4 you will not be able to install extensions 100% of the time. Fact. - I have 5.2.5.

We know that if your file ownership is not correct, that is if apache owns your files, you will not be able to do updates to the files and you probably can't save your session etc. 100% of the time. - wasn't an issue in my case.

We know that if your tmp path is unwritable or mist named in your configuration file you will not be able to install extensions. Fact. - wasn't an issue in my case.
mcsmom wrote:Thanks to those people who are helping to figure out what the problems are. That is, people who are testing suggestions and providing detailed reports on their installs and also on what is happening step by step.
I not only did this, by I have been doing it for several weeks on this thread and others...along with many other folks who have had the same problems or have tried to help the ones who did. But, no time during that time period were there any mods trying to help us. That is why we have been trying so hard to get your attention. We have been trying to figure all of this out by ourselves.
mcsmom wrote:One thing you might want to consider is turning your error reporting to high and also checking your apache error logs for any messages when you have a failed install.
As I said, I am no longer having any issues since installing 1.5.1.
AmyStephen wrote:Bill - Please stay on topic. Whether someone loves Joomla! or chooses another option is not the topic of this thread. Try upgrading your software to 1.5.3. There could be a bug fix that might resolve your problem. We can't help you with 1.5.2.
I strayed from the topic for one post because I was merely trying to set the record straight with Ian about my thoughts. I apologize if I offended anyone.

First, I no longer have 1.5.2 installed. Second, you cannot get me to install 1.5.3 over my current 1.5.1 if you paid me a million bucks!!! I am finally able to work on my clients project (which, by the way, I have already had to give them a discount on for the delays the extension problem caused). There is no way in H*LL I am going to muck that up again! It is working now and that is the way it will stay.
AmyStephen wrote:Bill - please please please get your Joomla! upgraded to current levels - we simply cannot help you if you are on old releases. Maybe the problem has been fixed! Let's at least rule that out.
As I just stated, there is no way I will upgrade given the current situation. I have no need to upgrade anyhow because as I have said several times now, my current version is working fine. Again as I stated earlier, I don't need help with this any longer! I am simply trying to get help for the users who still have the problem. But, up until this week, no one has helped!

We have all been working through this issue for a couple of months now. No one has come to help. We were all on our own (mostly within this thread) sharing ideas and possible solutions to try and help each other out. Some were lucky enough to find a resolution, while most were not. We have all done tons of research throughout this forum and beyond while trying to solve it. NO solutions were found. When I say NO solutions, I am talking about a common solution that will help the majority of users experiencing the same problem. Anyone who was able to find the cure, may have actually had one of the criteria you listed. The rest are all doing everything by the book, but still having problems. How do you explain that?

Bill
Jooming (Bill) :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:24 am

ilox wrote:
Jooming wrote:A problem that surfaced immediately after installing 1.5.2 (for me) was that every time I accessed Global Configuration from the back-end and tried to save my settings there, a dialog box would come up asking me which password I was trying to change??? I was never changing any password when in there. I was merely changing some server settings that needed changing. For what it's worth, this still exists in 1.5.1 as well! I simply click cancel when it happens now and it lets me save my settings. However, this bug shouldn't even be occurring at all! I don't know what is causing it, but I don't want to jeopardize my existing installation since everything else is working now and I DON'T want to have to start again!!!l
Bill, same problem still exists in 1.5.3, I just gave up trying to set the thing in Global and instead changed the settings manually in configuration.php. I blanked all reference to FTP!
I still have no idea why it thought I was changing any passwords but it caused me lots of grief with log ins until I decided to change it outside of Global config.

Now surely that isn't something to do with my permissions or my FTP settings?
That could be true, but I still want to see him upgrade. Lots of good reasons to get the newest code. Do you have a serious objection with trying the latest version of Joomla! -- with all of it's bug fixes?

As far as your password changing issue goes, that's your browser prompting you. It has nothing to do with this problem, at all. If you have ever saved a password, Ian, the browser sees the password fields on that form and offers to help out. It's not so helpful, though, is it? Kind of irritating, actually. Thankfully, you can turn that off in your browser if you wish.

Thanks for continuing to help!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 am

Jooming wrote:
AmyStephen wrote:Bill - please please please get your Joomla! upgraded to current levels - we simply cannot help you if you are on old releases. Maybe the problem has been fixed! Let's at least rule that out.
As I just stated, there is no way I will upgrade given the current situation. I have no need to upgrade anyhow because as I have said several times now, my current version is working fine. Again as I stated earlier, I don't need help with this any longer! I am simply trying to get help for the users who still have the problem. But, up until this week, no one has helped!
OK. Just an idea! If you are happy with your solution, I'm happy!
Jooming wrote: We have all been working through this issue for a couple of months now. No one has come to help. We were all on our own (mostly within this thread) sharing ideas and possible solutions to try and help each other out. Some were lucky enough to find a resolution, while most were not. We have all done tons of research throughout this forum and beyond while trying to solve it. NO solutions were found. When I say NO solutions, I am talking about a common solution that will help the majority of users experiencing the same problem. Anyone who was able to find the cure, may have actually had one of the criteria you listed. The rest are all doing everything by the book, but still having problems. How do you explain that?

Bill
Bill - actually lots of people were here helping one another - that's how it works - we help one another. It's a community! You are not taking advice offered you now - and that is completely your choice. But, you are also denying our advice -- and then saying we won't help you - and you can't have it both ways. ;)

From what I am hearing Ian and you both say - you have your environments working and you do not want to make further changes. That's cool - I'm glad you are okay, now.

++++

Is there anyone else who needs help? This can be a tricky issue. Let's keep the topic focused on those who have problems who are seeking help.

Thanks!

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:35 am

AmyStephen wrote:Ian -Joomla! is *not* squeaky clean - that's why Elin and I volunteer time on the Bug Squad. I sort of help out - she lives in the bug squad and can tell you where all the softspots are and what must be fixed and what the priorities are. When she says those are the three common resolutions, dude, that's money in the bank. Trust me when I tell you -- there is no one else who pushes harder for quality than Elin and she does that with testing, digging into the code, writing patches, testing patches for other people, connecting problems with the right people who can fix those problems.
But those three "faults" just shift the attention away from what changed in 1.5.2 and 1.5.3 that brought about the "mismatch". Elin said clearly that it was a hosting problem and not a Joomla problem. Sorry, it is a mismatch that still exists and sending users flying around their system to fix what happened in an upgrade seems to be the wrong way around.
Now, I get it that you are frustrated -- and looking back when you started this thread - hey! that's frustrating! But, you are now asking questions about other people's problems and they are not here to help us understand what their specific issues are/were. Can you see how that isn't going to be productive?
I wish they were here, I wish we could get everybody together that has this problem and then find out just what is the commonality other than being something the user has wrong in their system.
Now as far as whether it is Joomla!'s fault, or not, let's say it IS! Great! Now that blame has been properly affixed, let's find someone who still has this problem and see if we can help them resolve it by the time tested approaches of verifying the versions of PHP, reviewing permissions and validating FTP configuration issues.
I'm not at all interested in laying blame, I want to do all I can to stop others going through the frustrating times that I went through. Joomla always used to install without grief. Even up to 1.5.1 it would install for me without grief. Without changing anything in my settings suddenly my Joomla wouldn't work and the answer to questions 1, 2 and 3 didn't make a difference because they were not the problem. So I still want to find out what the answer is when I go to upgrade my other commercial sites. I want to be certain that putting time into the changeover will give me the simple install that I expect. That's why I am still here, that's why I am still pushing for some answers on what changed.
Better yet! If someone can find a line of code that should be fixed and is willing to provide a patch, we are all over that! That would rock. If there is a way to improve Joomla! and we can work together find it - no one will stop us from applying that fix.
I only wish I could help you but I am not a coder though I have coded in the past.
That's what we do, Ian, day after day after day. Fix things that are wrong with Joomla! and it feels really good knowing that the software is getting better and better and better.
and I completely support all that you do and have done and the same for Elin and the many other volunteer staffers. You do what I cant do and I get the benefits, unfair but that is something I cant fix at the moment.
Anyone interested in helping out? A fun way to get started is to join us the next two weekends for the Pizza, Bug and Fun event where we work together to smash bugs and get other work done for the project. All skillsets are needed. All Joomla! users are welcome. Ian - you are personally invited to join us - especially since you are an old timer around here -- heck - you might even have fun with us! So, please give it some consideration.
I can look through code and scripts but have little understanding of what is happening and even less understanding of how a fix might be applied. Now if you wanted me to help you with BASIC and chasing down GOSUB's, I'm good at that, or I used to be ;)
Bill - you are invited to join us as well. But, only after you upgrade to 1.5.3. ;)
But Bill cant upgrade, he would be breaking the client's site if he did, that's why he is trying as hard as I am to find an answer to the problem.
Back on topic - does someone else still have a problem? Step forward - don't be shy! :D
I wish they would speak up, the more that contribute means the more likely that a pattern can be seen and a solution proposed, the more the merrier. Come on folks, you have all posted a me-too post about the problem, speak up now and lets work through the factors till we find what is causing all of this grief.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:41 am

AmyStephen wrote:As far as your password changing issue goes, that's your browser prompting you. It has nothing to do with this problem, at all. If you have ever saved a password, Ian, the browser sees the password fields on that form and offers to help out. It's not so helpful, though, is it? Kind of irritating, actually. Thankfully, you can turn that off in your browser if you wish.
Now that's an assumption on your behalf that is just silly. Don't you think that after all these years in IT I would know if it is Firefox talking to me or the application? Bill is a host and a site developer off years experience, he wouldn't have said about it if he thought it was his browser.
This is in Joomla code and it is asking which user I want to change the password for, and it then lists the registered users for the site. Firefox doesn't have that information, it is coming out of Joomla! and it should not be doing it. To my understanding it has nothing to do with the registered users, it is a setup routine for the FTP access.
confirm_password_change.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:52 am

Ian - that's not a Joomla! prompt - sorry! :D

I completely understand Bill's need to focus on delivering his project. He has things working the way he needs them to work. I'd do the same thing! Later, when he has that project done - if he wants to resume where he left things off, we can do that.

Now, if others want to work on their install issues, let's help them. I appreciate your continued involvement, Ian, it takes everyone's help to fix things. Configuration and system issues are always the most frustrating.

One favor I ask - let's focus on those who are here who will interact with us and help them instead of speaking about this issue in broad terms. We need facts to solve a problem. If this is a huge unsolved problem - then - SADLY - we will see lots of people coming in with questions and we will look for patterns.

Ian - I have dozens of 1.5.3 sites up and install extensions all the time without any issue. That isn't saying no one is having problems. That isn't saying it's their fault when they have problem. It isn't saying Joomla! isn't to blame. I just don't know any other way than to help individuals with their issues at this point.

PS - Aw! Basic! Yes, I remember that. As far as the Bug Fix goes --> there are tons of tasks, tho, Ian, not all coding and you are very welcome to join in! We *will* put you to work, trust me. ;)

Jooming
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jooming » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:09 am

In Ian's defense... that is not a Firefox or IE prompt, or Opera or Safari for that matter. If anything, the only dialog box that would pop in a browser when using software would be to provide you with a saved user name/password to enter when logging in. This box pops while already inside the application and is specifically titled: "Confirm Password Change".

Firefox or any other browser I know of would never ask if you want to "change" a password.

I appreciate the fact that you can understand my situation. After all, I do have a business to run, clients to satisfy and employees to pay... so, I cannot take chances with my livelihood. As I said, if the problems are found and fixed, I may change my mind later.

As far as others who are having this problem... just read all of them in this and other threads! They are all over the place! Maybe they are not responding now because they are not available, different time zones, what have you. I'm sure they will start to surface again soon as they usually do each and every day!

Bill

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:10 am

Amy, don't know what you think it is but that IS a Joomla Prompt. It only appears when I try to change the password settings for FTP access. It hasn't got a single thing to do with the browser, only ONE of those accounts has ever been accessed through the browser. If it was a browser generated box it would have come up when I was logging in, if you could have seen the rest of the page you would see it was grabbed while viewing the Server setting page of Global Configuration. No browser would have any interest in an internal page.
Now, it is something that both Bill and I have experienced, and that I just recreated in one of my sites so that I could show you what it looks like.
Please don't keep telling me I don't know what I am talking about. Joomla! asked me the question by putting up that box. Nothing else did. If you have not seen that box before then that is just more evidence that people are not getting the same experience out of the box that one would expect. I cant tell you why you have not seen it, just go into Global Configuratuion --> Server and change the FTP password then try to Apply the change. The box appears at that point.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:21 am

Certainly, I would never say you don't know what you are talking about! If you want to explore that issue, maybe a new thread would be best. If you find out I'm wrong, PM me and I'll apologize in the new thread for being wrong yet another time! It happens a lot. Trust me. :-[

But, let's keep this thread stay focused on Joomla! 1.5.3 sites that are unable to install extensions. Both of you have indicated your sites are working and you do not wish more changes. But, there are others who reported this very same problem in this thread. So, let's move forward and not spam this thread, okay?

Thanks!

Jooming
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jooming » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:41 am

Amy,

Please don't consider "this post" as a spam posting. It certainly is not.

We are all adults here and I can see that you really do want to help the users who are still experiencing this problem. If that truly is your motivation, then surely you can see the connection between the dialog prompt and the extension loading problem. Several users have already said their problems have had something to do with the FTP layer. Since the FTP layer is accessible through the back-end, Global Config, there is potentially a link here that should be investigated. Don't you agree?

In fact, more often than not, the reason most people list when asking about this issue is the FTP layer. I don't know about you but I find it curious that the dialog pops up when trying to set the FTP layer.

Ian and I may have our fix for now, but our future sites rely to some extent on Joomla. If we cannot find the problem, and I can't speak for Ian, but I will probably go back to asp, or maybe find another cms. I would prefer to use joomla since for the most part I like it!

Why do you refuse to look at a possible clue to the problem? Please help me to understand that.

Thanks,
Bill

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:58 am

Tell you what, Bill, I'll ask around on that, okay? We certainly can rule that out or include it. I'll report back my findings - see if I can get some truly geeky developer to explain what's going on. 8)

Thanks to the both of you for your patience.

Jooming
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jooming » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:04 am

Thanks for your help Amy! :D
Bill

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:42 am

We are keeping the thread focussed on why it wouldn't install. You want to change what we are saying insisting that we are talking of other things.

We were all told to fix the problem of not being able to install by setting up the FTP Access Layer within Global Config. I couldn't do it that way because this popup box would insist that we were changing a regular user's password. So I created an FTP only user. The popup still insisted that I wanted to change a registered user even though the username did not appear on the list. Then I tried to add the info for a registered user and use the previously accepted password for that user. It still popped up and insisted I was changing the password for a user.

I gave up in disgust, swore about beta software, then directly changed the values in configuration.php. It made not a scrap of difference to whether I could install or not yet we are still hearing the cry, set up the FTP Layer. So I blanked out the Layer data. This time the error messages were more detailed and related to a J-something value not being valid. I guess that was progress. That's why I added the extra module into PHP, because the problems had nothing to do with FTP, to me talking about the FTP Layer was just another red herring from people grasping at straws. I made sure that it wasn't anything to do with the "nobody" ownership debacle I had recently been through with other providers.

So, and this is getting so circular, why talk of setting FTP Layer up when it had zero effect, why did this Joomla routine insist we were changing passwords when we were not. Why doesn't somebody follow up to see what effect that new little routine might have had on why 1.5.3 would not allow an install.

And while talking about configuration.php, the data provided by the install routine to be pasted into your new configuration.php is quite a bit different from the data shown in configuration.php once changes have been made in Global Configuration. Maybe that is another anomaly leading to 1.5.3 refusing to install programs.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:10 am

Amy,

I have been subscribed to this thread and other threads related to installation issues for quite some time now.
Many ordinary users have issues which have NOT been sufficiently addressed.

OBVIOUSLY, there are installation issues which affect many, many users.

Some of the server settings may actually interfere with each other related to Joomla.
These may be the most agregious situations.

IF you can get multiple Core Team Members to commit to answer direct questions,
I will commit to thoroughly document the various installation and upgrade issues.
In formats PDF, CHM, and HTML.

Mod_security affects Joomla installation and/or issues.
Base_URL affects Joomla installation and/or issues.
Path to Log folder - need to make sure this is correct info.
Path to Temp-folder - need to make sure this is correct info.

PHP info - this must be current.
FTP settings - this is a base for the issues.
It would not be productive to deal with any issues not in the mix.

Any definitive resolution REQUIRES that developers be involved.
Commit to any developer involvement.
ANY answer would be welcome.

There are many issues which involve developer involvement.

COMMIT to ANY involvement which has the following stipulations, and I will
commit to "doing the required" connections.

Cumon - let's do the connections.
Big eats - who cares?.
Do not want to deal with the silly issues.
[censored] em.!!!!
Mr. Bill.
Morons.

Brain Dead.
██ LibreTraining

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 am

Thanks Ken, always appreciate the extra tasks that you and Amy take on, even if you are often coming at them from different viewpoints ;)

I am more than happy to try anything out within my sites. Even create dummy sites and share out admins so folks can play around. Heck, I'll even break my VPS server if it means we get this fixed.

This wont go away just because there is a list of Three Red herrings to be used to baffle the users. It is time this silly problem got hit on the head once and for all.

Just ask, I'll be there to help.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:20 am

Hi all,

If someone wants to send me a super admin account (through private message) I'd be more than happy to have a look, see if I can spot something.

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:23 am

Thanks for posting all the information. Thanks for posting the issue on the tracker. It might not be visible, but a tracker item keeps status "open" until people can confirm the issue. I have taken a look at your problem, but it simply does not occur with me so the artifacts keeps that status for now.

The empty config file is most interesting to me, because what Elin states is true, during extension installation there is nothing written by Joomla! to the main config file, so when this one is overwritten it is interesting. Of course the other problems are also interesting, but as Elin states most of the times (not all) this is due to set-up problems. Anyway, I am not debating that the problem does not exist...this is clear to me given your postings here ;-)

Can you replay your problems? If so, please contact me and I am happy to take a look an pinpoint the problem.

Regards, Wilco

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 am

@Wilco, ken & RobInk, shortly you will find PM's with access info and account codes to a brand new site I have created just for this exercise. Maybe you can see something there that helps, it is the least I can do to help track down this bug so it can be squashed once and for all.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:29 am

Ian,

Sometimes when you upgrade the file ownership changes. So what was working before will not work after.

How exactly did you upgrade? did you unzip the package and then ftp to over write the files? Or did you upload the zip file and then unzip on your host? Did you use the upgrade package or the complete installation package?

I have seen hosts where the ownership is messed up by the ftp method and others where it is messed up by unzipping using cPanel filemanager.

So if you could try an experiment that would be very helpful.

Create a test subfolder
move a file there using ftp and see who owns it
move a zip file
unzip the file however you normally do that (using cPanel?)
see who owns that file

I find the extplorer extension useful for this since it shows file ownership.

p.s. i love that when boys post--even ones who make unproductive posts and are not active in the development -- you are all of a sudden willing to accept help. I guess we know the real reason you are not taking the help offered to you.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:40 am

mcsmom wrote:p.s. i love that when boys post--even ones who make unproductive posts and are not active in the development -- you are all of a sudden willing to accept help. I guess we know the real reason you are not taking the help offered to you.
First things first, what's this about, "all of a sudden willing to accept help."
I have always been willing to accept help. I have always tried out the help that has been offered. I have low tolerance for help disguised as patronising put downs. I have low tolerance for help which is nothing more than saying that the fault is mine and if this doesn't work then we don't give a rats because it is your problem and look at the Emperor's shiny new clothes.
I have been around this Forum as long as you have, I started with Mambo back in February of 2005, I have always offered help wherever I could, I have always gratefully accepted the help that has been given to me over the years.

That is what this Forum, until recently, has been all about. People gladly helping out other people.

Lately the help offered in the Forum is way down the ladder from the way it used to be. We have been banging our heads away for a month or more in this thread and in the last couple of days we get some help, and the help given is trotting out the tired old mantra of 3 things we have already tried. Blame the user.
Many people have reported the install problem, it has been going on for a long time, same result, put downs from those who you would expect to have helped. Blame the user.
And then we also get told we don't know nothing, Bill and I don't - apparently - even know the difference between a browser popup and and an application popup.
And now you are patronising us by calling us boys and slinging off at us because you don't think we have been accepting help. In fact you think you know some reason why we are knocking back the "help" we have been offered. Well when you are wrong you are really really wrong and this is one time when you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I have never tolerated being BS'd to no matter who it was doing the BS'ing.
It has been many long years since Bill and I have been a boy and almost as many since we last tolerated people calling us a boy so if you want Bill and I to continue to participate in this conversation then please don't do that ever again.
------------- now that the slinging match is over lets get back to the problem ------------------
mcsmom wrote:How exactly did you upgrade? did you unzip the package and then ftp to over write the files? Or did you upload the zip file and then unzip on your host? Did you use the upgrade package or the complete installation package?
I didn't upgrade my Joomla site. Each time it has been a fresh install in a fresh site. I download the latest version to my HD, unzip it, FTP the files up into the proper folders. That is how I have always installed my Joomla sites.
After trying everything else to get the Installer to work I finally upgraded my PHP for my server by adding the helper package of suphp instead of dso. This was simply because of the 'nobody' 99 ownership problems caused by sites using the default dso handler. By luck this also cleared up the Joomla installer problem, though I never did a thing to change permissions nor change any settings for /tmp etc.
mcsmom wrote:So if you could try an experiment that would be very helpful.
I don't unzip on a site, the only time a zip file nears the site is when I install it with Joomla. If that is what you want me to check then sure, I can do that. If you are asking me to do something else then please clarify exactly what you are seeking.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

willebil
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by willebil » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:46 am

ilox wrote:@Wilco, ken & RobInk, shortly you will find PM's with access info and account codes to a brand new site I have created just for this exercise. Maybe you can see something there that helps, it is the least I can do to help track down this bug so it can be squashed once and for all.
If possible I want more then access to the CMS, I for sure want to validate the installation on the file level (including rights etc.). Before I do start looking I really want to know if you are able to re-play the problem, if so I suggest to set up a test installation where we can dig around so that your original site will not be influenced.

I am especially interested in the situation that an extension installation overwrites the global configuration, and of course the situation that you cannot install the extension.

So please provide me with the access information, and information about the extension you are using. If possible all in a mail: [email protected]. And again, the steps that you perform to replay the problem.

Thanks in advance.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:55 pm

By luck this also cleared up the Joomla installer problem, though I never did a thing to change permissions nor change any settings for /tmp etc.
Luck has nothing to do with it.

You changed the settings, the problem was solved. You may not know which setting did it, but something did.
For example, changing the environment may well change how ftp''d files are handled. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make if you have already shown on your own install that the environment was causing the problem. Now what would be useful would be if Joomla! would put up a big red warning when it isn't going to work and if the error, warning and notice messages had more detailed and accurate information. Writing those up would be a very useful contribution.

Also I'd suggest as a start, that you go over to the wiki and start a page on trouble shooting this issue and I hope everyone on this thread will contribute.

When the boys show up, even ken with his "sucks" contribution, you are so excited and happy to have attention from them. When Amy and I try to help you just get defensive and accuse us of blaming you. No commentary needed.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:56 pm

AmyStephen wrote:Tell you what, Bill, I'll ask around on that, okay? We certainly can rule that out or include it. I'll report back my findings - see if I can get some truly geeky developer to explain what's going on. 8)

Thanks to the both of you for your patience.
Sorry to quote myself, but I wanted to let Bill and Ian know that I confirmed with a developer that it is, indeed Firefox's password saving option that is prompting us to save our password on the FTP page.

I have reproduced the situation on my own machine.
  • Go to the Tools-Options-Security menu option in Firefox:
    Make certain the "Remember passwords for site" checkbox is selected.
    Click the "Exceptions" button and make certain your site is not listed as an exception (if it is, remove it.)
    Then, logoff the Administrator.
    Logon the Administrator.
    Allow Firefox to save your Admin username and password.
    Return to the FTP page.
    Add FTP user and password information.
    Press Save.
    Firefox will prompt you to save a password, again.
To stop this from happening:
  • Return to the Tools-Options-Security menu option in Firefox.
    Deselect the "Remember passwords for site" checkbox.
    Or - add your site to the "Exceptions" button.
    When you return to the FTP page, you will no longer be prompted.
To recap where we left things last night, Ian's site is working now. Bill's site is working for 1.5.1 and he simply does not have more time to invest in resolving this problem with 1.5.3 since he must finish a project that has fallen behind. So, he might come back later.

Others who are having trouble with a Joomla! 1.5.3 sites that refuses to install any extensions are encouraged to share.

Thanks!

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:30 pm

willebil wrote:If possible I want more then access to the CMS, I for sure want to validate the installation on the file level (including rights etc.). Before I do start looking I really want to know if you are able to re-play the problem, if so I suggest to set up a test installation where we can dig around so that your original site will not be influenced.
See the email where you have been given full and open access to a site down to root level. I have uploaded the same build of 1.5.3 as I have used on all my other sites so that you are working on as level a playing field as I can find. Only other thing is that I might have to rollback PHP to an earlier version if that is needed. Just say the word.
I am especially interested in the situation that an extension installation overwrites the global configuration, and of course the situation that you cannot install the extension.
No, that's not what I said. When you first install Joomla it doesn't write to configuration.php as there is no such file so it provides the text for you to paste into a blank configuration.php. What I noticed was, that pasted text is changed considerably once you make any changes in Global Configuration. Comparison of a before and after file will show that parameters and values will change in several places as well as the whole layout changing.
So please provide me with the access information, and information about the extension you are using.
So it isn't an extension that is changing the configuration.php file, it is Global Configuration that is overwriting it.
From then on we found that we were not able to upload ANY extension, plugin, template, whatever. Nothing would install and we have all tried a whole range of files without any success.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:53 pm

AmyStephen wrote:Sorry to quote myself, but I wanted to let Bill and Ian know that I confirmed with a developer that it is, indeed Firefox's password saving option that is prompting us to save our password on the FTP page.
I cant believe that, Firefox created the popup! Blast, Blast! Blast! What a nuisance that box has been while fighting off all the other bushfires going wrong in our sites.

Amy, I unreservedly apologise for the claim over this popup. I was convinced I knew where it was coming from and I was 100% wrong in my assumption. I went back and recreated the problem with other accounts that hadn't been used to log in. The box knew nothing about them yet when we had the problem the only accounts that we had were also what we were using to log in with so they were of course the same accounts showing in the box. Fooled me. Sorry for my intemperate language. You didn't deserve that for trying to help me.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”