my 1.5.3 sites refuse to install any extensions

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Toli
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: my 1.5.3 sites refuse to install any extensions

Post by Toli » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:01 am

ilox wrote:
Toli wrote:I have upgraded today to version 1.5.3. Still can not load extensions. Still playing around with different settings. Will have another go at it tomorrow.
When you say you have changed permissions, have you been doing this through FTP or through your CPanel? And have you been changing /tmp to 777 while you attempt the install and then back to 755 once you have either succeeded in the install or given up on it?
Changing my PHP to include the SupHp module fixed one of my servers. One the other hosted server I worked from CPanel, changed permissions to 777, then tried the install. It worked so I set it back to 755 for security.
I have been changing the security through FTP. Will try c-panel as you suggested. Did you change the security to 777 for the entire website or just particular folders?

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:07 am

As far as I have found out, the only folder that needs to be changed is /tmp, the rest seem to work fine. And yes, it seems to make a difference changing the permissions in CPanel.
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

Toli
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Toli » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:17 am

OK tried changing the permissions again on the /tmp folder. Still no luck.

Is the cpanel part of Joomla, or is that my host? I have changed the permissions in both places with no luck.

I am going to have a break for an hour or so then come back do some more reading and attempts to fix it then.

Cheers for the help so far.

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:12 pm

CPanel is the tool that many hosts provide for you to manage your site. Perhaps they have other tools, lxadmin is one that comes to mind. Anyway, if your host provides you with a tool that allows you to change the ownership or permissions of the /tmp folder then using that just might help.

If that doesn't help then we need to look at other steps that can be taken.

While thinking about that, have you communicated to your Host that you are having problems with your site due to a mismatch between Joomla and the environment that have provided you? Have you asked them to make any changes such as allowing PHP to work in cgi mode which would help a lot with ownership and permissions.
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

Davey_Speedstar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Davey_Speedstar » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:16 pm

Problem Description:
I cannot upload extensions or templates using the control panel

Log/Error Message:
[quote]JFTP::store: Bad response [/quote]
Actions Taken To Resolve:
I'm guessing that it\'s something to do with the file ownership, but as I don't know very much about this sort of thing I wanted to confirm this before I talk to my hosting company.

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.2 Production/Stable [ Woi ] 22-March-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 644 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE ( i386) | Web Server: Apache/2 ( http://www.daveyspeedstar.com ) | PHP Version: 5.2.6
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.45 ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

Extended Information:
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Enabled | htaccess: Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: apache2handler | MySQLi: Yes | Max. Memory: 128M | Max. Upload Size: 2M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions:
MySQL Client: 5.0.45 ( latin1 )

Davey_Speedstar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Davey_Speedstar » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:16 pm

Since I made the above post I have checked the file permissions using my hosts cpanel. In addition I have ensured that none of the files are owned by apache. I have tried different stetting on the configuattion.php file (777 & 755), but nothing seems to work.

I really would appreciate a hint as to what I should try next

Here's the current info

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.2 Production/Stable [ Woi ] 22-March-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 755 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE ( i386) | Web Server: Apache/2 ( http://www.daveyspeedstar.com ) | PHP Version: 5.2.6
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.45 ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

Extended Information:
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: apache2handler | MySQLi: Yes | Max. Memory: 128M | Max. Upload Size: 2M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions:
MySQL Client: 5.0.45 ( latin1 )

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SpacePyrit » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:20 pm

I have not been on the computer for several days and have missed a lot, so bear with me as I catch up. The first remedy I saw was to put up JTS. I followed the instructions from Amy but could not find a Directory File and Permissions Audit tab. I will try a few remedies of my own but what I don't get is I was able to install just fine before I changed over to Mysql 5 and J1.5.3.

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:24 pm

Hi Davey, all I can suggest is what you have already done. For my 2 servers, the first one is under my control so I fixed PHP so that ownership is not a problem. The second server is not under my control buy changing the value of /tmp through CPanel's File Manager to 777 allows the Install routing to work. I then change it back to 755 so that it is secure again.

Perhaps the next thing you can do is request your host to switch PHP to CGI mode so that SuExec is active. That will put your access account in charge and resolve the ownership problems.
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:26 pm

SpacePyrit wrote:I have not been on the computer for several days and have missed a lot, so bear with me as I catch up. The first remedy I saw was to put up JTS. I followed the instructions from Amy but could not find a Directory File and Permissions Audit tab. I will try a few remedies of my own but what I don't get is I was able to install just fine before I changed over to Mysql 5 and J1.5.3.
Agree with you mate but Amy and others are emphatic that Joomla 1.5.3 is not at fault. They say it can only be your permissions or your PHP version or something else with the environment that you are trying to run Joomla in.

Me, I'm from the old school way of problem solving. I look at what I last did when it was working and then start to suspect whatever it was that I changed. Kinda like, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Bill did that, he could make 1.5.1 work fine, he went up to 1.5.2 and it refused to install. He did what I would have done, he went back to what was working, 1.5.1. But when Bill and I foolishly suggested that the problem must have been in Joomla 1.5.2 or 1.5.3 we were soundly castigated for heresy (well nearly so, we were certainly disabused of that idea. Oddly, nothing was ever put up to explain why our thinking was in error, just that we were obviously wrong).

So, just for the record, and because I like to keep an open mind when I am problem solving, what Joomla version were you using before you switched to 1.5.3?
Cheers, Ian
by Sea-Life

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:03 pm

Davey:

Try changing file ownership or getting your host to do it, as per the instructions repeated many many times on this thread.

@space

Can you please use the forum post assistant if you can't get JTS to work.

@Ian,

I'm really sorry to have to post this.

Since fixing permissions, tmp and session path, php version and the other issues described has fixed all of the issues in this thread for which we have complete information, including your issues, I really don't know why you are posting such things. Are you deliberately trying to be destructive to this community? At this point, it's the only thing I can think of that might be motivating this behavior.

It takes me 30 minutes or an hour or sometimes more to write each post in this thread. I research each answer separately just in case this really is the brand new issue that you are imagining. How much time are you spending on each post?
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SpacePyrit » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:48 pm

Don't slam me for saying this, but I am open to agree that it is either a simple permissions problem or Joomla has a fatal mistake. I have FTP layer on so Joomla should be able to operate without everything being writable, nope, I guess I am wrong. Then 'mod'ing things to 777 or 755, that creates security issues. Regardless of what people are saying, look at logic. I last used J1.5.1 then upgraded. BOOM! I can't install. Many others in this thread could install in J1.5.1 and below but not 1.5.3 and for some 1.5.2. Correct me if I am wrong, but something was changed in the Joomla core to where it could only run under certain conditions. I am not objecting to this, but I must ask why it was necessary. Again, I may not be totally correct, I have some other theories I just chose this one.

mcsmom: JTS is installed, I just don't see the tab.
mcsmom wrote:
@Ian,

I'm really sorry to have to post this.

Since fixing permissions, tmp and session path, php version and the other issues described has fixed all of the issues in this thread for which we have complete information, including your issues, I really don't know why you are posting such things. Are you deliberately trying to be destructive to this community? At this point, it's the only thing I can think of that might be motivating this behavior.

It takes me 30 minutes or an hour or sometimes more to write each post in this thread. I research each answer separately just in case this really is the brand new issue that you are imagining. How much time are you spending on each post?
Whoaaa! I would hate for the forum to throw out accusations. I have advice for both mcs and Ian.

@mcsmom
Don't draw hasty conclusions, they are often wrong. :) Accusations like this are serious, look over the facts and see if any of Ian's posts have helped any. Also I have heard Ian say he is behind work and doesn't have much time. Not everyone has the time to spend hours over a post.

@Ian
mcs has some good points. Use logical deduction and reasoning and try to imagine if your solution to a prob is really a solution. Spend a little more time on posts if needed.

I am not trying to start or become involved in a flame war, I am trying to dissolve it. Don't take me for being mean, I am just sharing my opinion. 8)

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:06 pm

totally OT probably. but could i also add that when people do post in their JTS results they remove the domain url so that any potential flaws are not utilized.
thanks
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SpacePyrit » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:10 pm

Problem Description:
Here's my diagnostic info.

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.3 Production/Stable [ Vahi ] 22-April-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 777 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.4.33.2 ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/1.3.35 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1.2 PHP/4.4.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Rewrit/1.1a ( www.pewsondor.com ) | PHP Version: 4.4.4
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Disabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): No | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.26-standard-log ( pewsondor.com via TCP/IP )

Extended Information:
PHP Environment: API: apache | MySQLi: No | Max. Memory: 18388608 | Max. Upload Size: 20971520 | Max. Post Size: 20971520 | Max. Input Time: -1 | Zend Version: 1.3.0
Disabled Functions:
MySQL Client: 4.0.26 ( latin1 )

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:06 pm

I have FTP layer on so Joomla should be able to operate without everything being writable, nope, I guess I am wrong.
Yes you would be wrong if the files are not owned by the ftp user.

Again please look at the documentation provided. The files and folders have to be owned by the same user that is attempting to change or alter the files or folders. If the files and folders are owned by the ftp user then the ftp layer will work for you. If the files and folders are owned by the server, then the server has to alter those files or folders. If those files are owned by the hosting account user then the hosting account user has to alter those files or folders.

All of these users are different. Ask your hosting company to change the ownership of your files to your ftp user, except for cache and tmp (those two should be owned by the server).

@Ian. The magic word in your above post is "when I upgraded". How did you upgrade? By upgrading did you then create a situation where you had a mishmash of owners for the files and folders in your Joomla! install? Did you install using one user, and upgrade another (it frequently happens people install and files are correctly owned by their account holder and the server, they then upgrade through ftp and that creates a mishmash of owners)?
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SpacePyrit » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:11 pm

MMMedia wrote: All of these users are different. Ask your hosting company to change the ownership of your files to your ftp user, except for cache and tmp (those two should be owned by the server).
That's what I CAN'T do. My host says that they would have to run PHP as a cgi program so Suexec can run under it.

Sorry if I am sounding like Joomla is the problem. It's NOT the problem, it's permisions. What I was trying to say was while Joomla is not the problem, it may be the cause. Anyway, I'll see if my host can change some things.
Thanks everyone for your patience and help.
-Space

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:21 pm

Your host doesn't have to do anything but run a simple cron script on their end that chowns the files to your ftp user. If they don't understand how to do a chown then you have bigger issues than not being able to install things in your Joomla! site.

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SpacePyrit » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:25 pm

MMMedia wrote:Your host doesn't have to do anything but run a simple cron script on their end that chowns the files to your ftp user. If they don't understand how to do a chown then you have bigger issues than not being able to install things in your Joomla! site.
What is this pertaining to? Is it the PHP/Suexec thing or FTP?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Ian -

Please confirm or deny that by following Elin's advice you fixed your ownership issues and are now able to install Joomla! 1.5.3 extensions without any problem.

Please confirm or deny that we really don't know what Bill's problems were since he will not upgrade to reproduce his errors and SVN records clearly indicate there have been no changes to the Installation code base since Joomla! 1.5 RC4.

I urge simple answers, Ian, to these simple questions. Confirm or deny. Nothing more, nothing less.

For those of you in need of help, please look at the FAQ Elin initiated for us -- it is entitled Why can't I install any extensions? There, you will find tools and facts to help you with your Web hosting environments.

Thank you,
Amy

ilox wrote:
SpacePyrit wrote:I have not been on the computer for several days and have missed a lot, so bear with me as I catch up. The first remedy I saw was to put up JTS. I followed the instructions from Amy but could not find a Directory File and Permissions Audit tab. I will try a few remedies of my own but what I don't get is I was able to install just fine before I changed over to Mysql 5 and J1.5.3.
Agree with you mate but Amy and others are emphatic that Joomla 1.5.3 is not at fault. They say it can only be your permissions or your PHP version or something else with the environment that you are trying to run Joomla in.

Me, I'm from the old school way of problem solving. I look at what I last did when it was working and then start to suspect whatever it was that I changed. Kinda like, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Bill did that, he could make 1.5.1 work fine, he went up to 1.5.2 and it refused to install. He did what I would have done, he went back to what was working, 1.5.1. But when Bill and I foolishly suggested that the problem must have been in Joomla 1.5.2 or 1.5.3 we were soundly castigated for heresy (well nearly so, we were certainly disabused of that idea. Oddly, nothing was ever put up to explain why our thinking was in error, just that we were obviously wrong).

So, just for the record, and because I like to keep an open mind when I am problem solving, what Joomla version were you using before you switched to 1.5.3?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:22 pm

SpacePyrit wrote: Many others in this thread could install in J1.5.1 and below but not 1.5.3 and for some 1.5.2. Correct me if I am wrong, but something was changed in the Joomla core to where it could only run under certain conditions.
Space -

I do want to correct that misunderstanding. The fact is one person said that downgrading to Joomla! 1.5.1 allowed them to install extensions. This person encouraged others to try that approach but no one was able to do so and get extensions to install. Given the number of times that point has been raised, I am not surprised you thought it was "many others" but it was actually just one person.

From our SVN records, we know there have been no changes to the code base for the Installer since RC 4. If there is a problem with the Installer, that problem was there for 1.5.1 since there was not change to that process for 1.5.2 or 1.5.3.

Here's another thread where people are having trouble. Dan Stanley reports that he discovered a change at his Web host caused path changes that created this problem. That is point 2 on the Why can't I install extensions FAQ.

Please, read the Why can't I install extensions FAQ and think carefully about the File ownership advice from ianmac section. There is a tool right inside of the Joomla! Administrator that lets you review file and folder permissions and ianmac discusses it.

ianmac is someone credited by many as having excellent teaching ability. He is somehow able to take complex topics and break those ideas to pieces that are understandable. He did a great job with his explanation on ownership issues. He talked about the FTP part and it can help you if you read it and consider about how it applies to your hosting situation.

Kind regards.
Amy :)

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:24 pm

SpacePyrit wrote: That's what I CAN'T do. My host says that they would have to run PHP as a cgi program so Suexec can run under it.
I responded with:
MMMedia wrote:Your host doesn't have to do anything but run a simple cron script on their end that chowns the files to your ftp user. If they don't understand how to do a chown then you have bigger issues than not being able to install things in your Joomla! site.
What your host said is simply not true. They do not have to run php as a cgi to give your ftp user the ownership to the files. What they do have to do is run a simple chown script that changes the ownership of your files to your ftp user. Hosts do it all the time, and hosts specifically not running PHP as cgi or phpsuexec, should expect to get requests from their clients to chown files for them regularly, or what a lot of hosts do is give their clients shell access so they can run the script when they need to themselves.

Before my host switched the way they ran their servers, they regularly had to do chowns for clients. If your host is saying that they cannot do a chown for you then I would suggest you have a much bigger issue to concern yourself with regarding your host, than the issue of whether or not you can install extensions.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:21 pm

@space

I hope you see from this thread that I NEVER draw hasty conclusions. This thread has now cost well over 50 hours of JBS time from at least 5 people. This is time enough to test maybe 15 pending issues in the tracker. It is 7 pages long. Many people have been constructive and helpful, as is typical in this community. We help each other, that is one thing I love about Joomla!. However, a few people clearly are not interested in helping but seemingly only in upsetting other users at a time when those users are already frustrated. Or maybe they just enjoy attention, I don't know.

Okay I lied; this post only took me 10 minutes. Back to the tracker and MY sites and my other responsibilities.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SpacePyrit » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:29 pm

AmyStephen wrote: Space -

I do want to correct that misunderstanding. The fact is one person said that downgrading to Joomla! 1.5.1 allowed them to install extensions. This person encouraged others to try that approach but no one was able to do so and get extensions to install. Given the number of times that point has been raised, I am not surprised you thought it was "many others" but it was actually just one person.

From our SVN records, we know there have been no changes to the code base for the Installer since RC 4. If there is a problem with the Installer, that problem was there for 1.5.1 since there was not change to that process for 1.5.2 or 1.5.3.

Here's another thread where people are having trouble. Dan Stanley reports that he discovered a change at his Web host caused path changes that created this problem. That is point 2 on the Why can't I install extensions FAQ.

Please, read the Why can't I install extensions FAQ and think carefully about the File ownership advice from ianmac section. There is a tool right inside of the Joomla! Administrator that lets you review file and folder permissions and ianmac discusses it.

ianmac is someone credited by many as having excellent teaching ability. He is somehow able to take complex topics and break those ideas to pieces that are understandable. He did a great job with his explanation on ownership issues. He talked about the FTP part and it can help you if you read it and consider about how it applies to your hosting situation.

Kind regards.
Thanks for clearing that up and sorry for MY hasty conclusions, but as I said, I do not have time to read all posts. I read the FAQ and to be honest, the explanation was real simple and did not really clear my problem.
MMMedia wrote: What your host said is simply not true. They do not have to run php as a cgi to give your ftp user the ownership to the files. What they do have to do is run a simple chown script that changes the ownership of your files to your ftp user. Hosts do it all the time, and hosts specifically not running PHP as cgi or phpsuexec, should expect to get requests from their clients to chown files for them regularly, or what a lot of hosts do is give their clients shell access so they can run the script when they need to themselves.

Before my host switched the way they ran their servers, they regularly had to do chowns for clients. If your host is saying that they cannot do a chown for you then I would suggest you have a much bigger issue to concern yourself with regarding your host, than the issue of whether or not you can install extensions.
One thing about my host is that they are really slow. I am still running on PHP 4! I just asked them to chown down the script, so hopefully that will get done. If not, I am lost.
mcsmom wrote:@space

I hope you see from this thread that I NEVER draw hasty conclusions. This thread has now cost well over 50 hours of JBS time from at least 5 people. This is time enough to test maybe 15 pending issues in the tracker. It is 7 pages long. Many people have been constructive and helpful, as is typical in this community. We help each other, that is one thing I love about Joomla!. However, a few people clearly are not interested in helping but seemingly only in upsetting other users at a time when those users are already frustrated. Or maybe they just enjoy attention, I don't know.

Okay I lied; this post only took me 10 minutes. Back to the tracker and MY sites and my other responsibilities.
While I realize that posts should have effort put behind it, others may think they know the problem so post the answers. This can sometimes lead to confusion. So I guess my advice to everyone would be "Make sure the solutions you give are facts, not theories." I would hope everyone on this forum, and the Joomla commute for that matter, and work together to help and build, not destroy. People DO make mistakes and we need to allow for that, however.

Happy Jooming!
-Space

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:59 pm

Space, I do sympathize with your situation, but the reality is you are not lost if your host cannot accommodate your needs. If your host's customer service is lacking, and if they are not up to speed on how to best configure their servers, you may have to think about a hosting change. And I only recommend that if people aren't getting the service and support they deserve. If your host is someone you can work with in a timely manner, and they perform what is needed to help, the by all means stay with them.

This thread may help you. http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=6856

I know a hosting change can be traumatic, but most good hosts will help you make the transition, if you have to do so.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:02 pm

SpacePyrit wrote: Thanks for clearing that up and sorry for MY hasty conclusions, but as I said, I do not have time to read all posts. I read the FAQ and to be honest, the explanation was real simple and did not really clear my problem.

One thing about my host is that they are really slow. I am still running on PHP 4! I just asked them to chown down the script, so hopefully that will get done. If not, I am lost.
Either way, if the host helps or not, you aren't really stuck. You have access to all your files, but some have to be accessed via different means. Presumably you have cpanel access and you have FTP access. If you ftp'd up the files in the first place, you can modify all of them using ftp. If you created the files using cpanel, you can modify them using cpanel File Manager.

What I would try is to first of all, get rid of all your files (presuming you haven't done too much to the site yet). Then, upload all of your files using FTP. Then, remove the cache directory using FTP. Create the cache directory using cPanel and copy the index.html file into that folder.

Then, perform the normal Joomla! 1.5 installation, making sure that you properly enable FTP mode.

If you follow these steps, you should be able to install successfully and install extensions. If this doesn't work, let me know and we'll see what we can do.

Ian

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SpacePyrit » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:10 pm

ianmac wrote: Either way, if the host helps or not, you aren't really stuck. You have access to all your files, but some have to be accessed via different means. Presumably you have cpanel access and you have FTP access. If you ftp'd up the files in the first place, you can modify all of them using ftp. If you created the files using cpanel, you can modify them using cpanel File Manager.

What I would try is to first of all, get rid of all your files (presuming you haven't done too much to the site yet). Then, upload all of your files using FTP. Then, remove the cache directory using FTP. Create the cache directory using cPanel and copy the index.html file into that folder.

Then, perform the normal Joomla! 1.5 installation, making sure that you properly enable FTP mode.

If you follow these steps, you should be able to install successfully and install extensions. If this doesn't work, let me know and we'll see what we can do.

Ian
Wow, you ask a lot. My site has thousands of files, some I don't need though. I did try just making all my files 777. Every directory and file had 777 for its permissions, but even that did not work. Hopefully my host is chowning right now.

EDIT: Here is the conversation between me and my host throughout this whole problem. Let me know if I am on the right track.

Code: Select all

[quote]

ninjaweb said:

My content management system has the ability to install zip package files. It seems that after I switched to a mysql 5 server, that ability was lost. I now get this error:

* JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
* JFTP::chmod: Bad response
* JFTP::store: Bad response
* Warning! - Failed to move file

I do not think it is a problem with the CMS, it may be a permissions problem, I don't know. Can you give me any help?

2008.06.13 - 12:28 pm

CWH Owen said:

Hi Tim,

we can't provide support for 3rd party scripts because well, we're not familiar with all of them really. it sounds like a permissions issue though, if it's a PHP script the directory in which things are being created in by the script need to be chmod 777. please note this is a security issue, so you have to make sure your scripts are secure in that they don't allow arbitrary uploading of files/creation of files/directories which can allow for exploits to be run from your site,

thanks,

owen

2008.06.13 - 13:45 pm

ninjaweb said:

Well, I may be finding the problem. I would like to ask you if you can do the following:

[This is part of my system info]
[can you change the User and Web server accounts over to me?]

And could you tell me how to turn off Global Registers?

Thanks.

2008.06.18 - 14:59 pm

CWH Owen said:

Hi Tim,

we don't run PHP under suexec (it has to be run as a cgi for that to work). the typical install of PHP is as the apache (web) user.

to turn off global registers you can make a .htaccess file with

php_flag register_globals 0

have a great day!

owen

2008.06.18 - 16:04 pm

ninjaweb said:

Thanks, I had no trouble turning Global Registers off, but my problem still stands. I am going to implement a few ideas, but I will need your patience and support. Is it possible to DEGRADE to Mysql 4? And is there any way to run Suexec as a cigi or whatever I would need to do in order for it to run under PHP?
Thanks!

2008.06.23 - 10:23 am

CWH Owen said:

Hi Tim,

we can move you back to a mysql 4 machine without issue. you can run php as a cgi but it would involve a lot of work. basically each php file that is an executable would need to be set with appropriate permissions (ie 755) and each php file would need a line in at the top added

#!/usr/bin/php

this way it'll run as a cgi, which we do have suexec turned on for,

thanks,

owen

2008.06.23 - 11:07 am

ninjaweb said:

Can I move back to Mysql 4? Thanks. As for the PHP, that may wait until later.

2008.06.23 - 11:10 am

CWH Owen said:

Hi Tim,

not a problem, did you add your subdomains after the move last time? if so you may want to remove these and set them up again after, as there may be an issue with them during the move.

if they made it over last time perhaps that has been fixed in the move process,

thanks,

owen

2008.06.23 - 12:05 pm

ninjaweb said:

My subdomains were added after. I have not messed with them in a while so I am not sure if they work. I really have no data worth keeping on them so I am not worried about that.

2008.06.23 - 12:19 pm

ninjaweb said:

I don't know if you can do this, but my problem seems to be a permissions issue. Is there are way you can make me the owner of all my files? Could you change the ownership to my ftp user?

2008.06.23 - 13:13 pm

CWH Owen said:

Hi Tim,

we can do this but it could affect how the script works. typically a PHP script will require a chmod of 777 (all permissions) on certain directories or files (666 on files). it should tell you this information though.

this is to allow the script to install things it needs to. the issue is it's a security hole to do that, so generally you have to trust the script to have sorted all that out before hand. i would suggest referring specifically to any permissions documentation the script provides.

if you still wish us to alter permissions just let me know, but it'd probably be best to review the documentation and check permission on an individual directory/file basis as needed,

thanks,

owen

2008.06.23 - 15:30 pm

ninjaweb said:

Could you just chown down the files? I have heard that hosts do not need to change the PHP script but just chown the files down to turn the permissions over to me.

2008.06.24 - 11:18 am

CWH Owen said:

Hi Tim,

we can do that of course, the warning would be that it may stop your script from working if it's expecting different permissions. but if you'd like us to do that just let us know and i'll adjust permissions on them,

thanks,

owen

2008.06.24 - 12:19 pm

ninjaweb said:

Yes, please go ahead and do that.

2008.06.24 - 12:22 pm
[/quote]

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Space -

Ianmac is asking nothing of you. He is offering you a solution that will help you get rid of your ownership problems since you requested help. (The wiki FAQ we continue to point people towards provides this advice, as well.)

In that email correspondence you are sharing with us, your host repeatedly warned of the danger of setting your files and folders all to 777.

If you follow Ianmac's advice, you won't have to make your Web site vulnerable (and, thus, will be following your Web host's advice) and you will not have ownership issues (which is why you are here seeking assistance). This is the same advice Elin provided earlier. When Ian (from Australia) finally tried it, his Extension Installation problems went away.

I think it's time to bite the bullet and just follow the advice you are requesting. That saves volunteer time if things don't have to be repeated. And, honestly, if you simply follow these recommendations, this problem will be resolved and you'll have a better grasp on how to use your hosting environment.

So - you have what you need, Space - just go for it! It will work!

All the best,

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SpacePyrit » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:06 pm

Well, having my host turn over all the files to me did not work. I am going to follow Ianmac's advice and see what happens. The only thing is I'd hate to lose all my progress...

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:16 pm

Before you do anything...

There is nothing to say that you can't download all of your files...

and then when you reupload them they should have the proper permissions.

Ian

SpacePyrit
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: my 1.5.3 sites refuse to install any extensions[Wohoo!]

Post by SpacePyrit » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:23 pm

:) Hoorah! I am now able to install extensions. Thanks Ianmac for your advice. I reinstalled everything, lost a little data, but in the end it was worth it. I want to say though that it was quite confusing. I had some say my files had to be handed over to me, some said my files needed to be writable, and others said to restart it. I want some clarification, was this, in the end, a permissions problem? Will I have this problem often? How can I keep it from happening again?
Thanks a bunch to all who helped me out!
-Space

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:38 pm

I'm sure it was a permission/ownership issue.

You should be good to go now. Do you have FTP layer enabled? If you do, then ALWAYS upload your files using FTP. If you don't, then ALWAYS upload your files using cPanel.

The easiest was is to try and do as much as possible through Joomla! itself. Then you shouldn't have any file ownership issues.

Glad to hear you are up and running!
Ian

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”