Basic questions

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jjtbsomhorst
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Basic questions

Post by jjtbsomhorst » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:49 am

Hello People,

currently I'm busy reading the paragraph about components in the Joomle extensions book from Packt. In the examples, and alot of Joomla components, the custom JModel implementations are nothing more then just an wrapper around de database data. This is ofcourse the idea but not that an implementation should get information about itself from the db.

I'm currently a bit confused coming from Java where I'm used to create an factory that does all the generation of objects regardless where they come from ( so an JForum object does not contain code to create itself or get information about itself from the DB). Is is possible within Joomla to do the same thing?

p.s

Ofcourse I can do it aswell in PHP but that would mean to go partailly around the Joomla Framework and well that is not very nice to say the least.
Last edited by jjtbsomhorst on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vhg119
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Basic questions

Post by vhg119 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi,

I'm new to Joomla as well. From what I can gather, Joomla's DB access mechanism does not abstract the database tables metadata into classes. There is a JTable class that seems to resemble something of an ORM object, but I haven't found much useful documentation and tutorial around it.

I hope someone can correct me on this.

Vince

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”