JomSocial vs. CB vs. Joomunity vs. Others

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jmfavre
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: JomSocial vs. CB vs. Joomunity vs. Others

Post by jmfavre » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi,
reading this very interesting thread. Yes, many people are fighting to get some social features on top of joomla. If you read this thread you might what to read the one on elgg and joomla. Elgg is nice and community oriented (and free ;-) ). Joomla is nice as well, so ...

"JConnect - Connect Your Software with Joomla"
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 73&start=0

http://megaplanet.org/jean-marie-favre Jean-Marie Favre
Software Language Archeologist and Software Anthropologist
University of Grenoble - LIG - ACONIT - France
Signature rules - Literal URL's Only.

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:34 pm

hello many thanks for posting
jmfavre wrote:Hi, reading this very interesting thread. Yes, many people are fighting to get some social features on top of joomla. If you read this thread you might what to read the one on elgg and joomla. Elgg is nice and community oriented (and free ;-) ). Joomla is nice as well, so ...
"JConnect - Connect Your Software with Joomla" http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 73&start=0
sounds very interesting. Plz Jmfavre, can you tell us more!? That would be very good. I love to hear from you.

Elgg seems to be very interesting.

regards

:)
regards un-leash,
a big fan for ++ 11 years now: With Joomla you can easily create and extend your website: see the site, that offers you ideas & modules - extensions.joomla.org - it lists over 4000 extensions

jmfavre
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmfavre » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:10 am

I'm investigating, but at the moment I've not found more information than the one on this forum, and some information on the elgg.org forum and jfusion forum. For french users, there was the joomla day in paris 15 days ago, and next week there will be the first elgg camp in paris at "la cantine". I will try to go there and learn more. It would be cool at some point if both communities talk together.
:-)

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:36 am

hello dear Mate,

good day - great news. Well it is really great to see the first elgg-camp coming. And in Paris - what a great place. Please go there and meet the elgg-people.

You are somewhat a technology-evangelist and you have a mission.... ;)
jmfavre wrote:I'm investigating, but at the moment I've not found more information than the one on this forum, and some information on the elgg.org forum and jfusion forum. For french users, there was the joomla day in paris 15 days ago, and next week there will be the first elgg camp in paris at "la cantine". I will try to go there and learn more. It would be cool at some point if both communities talk together. :-)
Agreed - It would be very cool at some point if both communities talk together.... Perhaps it is helpful to contact some of the elgg-guys to do some agenda-setting for the meeting at "la cantine"

what do you think .-...?

keep us informed - and let us know what we can do..

best regards

joo :)

update: see some links http://elgg.elgg.fr/pg/groups/623/projet-elggcamp/
perhaps we should make some elgg / joomla-folks aware of the meeting... eg like here:

http://community.joomla.org/blogs/commu ... ially.html

http://community.elgg.org/mod/groups/to ... guid=59063

http://classic.elgg.org/mod/vanillaforu ... ionID=1022
Thanks,

I have been using Joomla/Mambo for many years now. I have much experience in customizing and picking at templates to suite my needs. This template is a converted Joomla template. I stated in another post that I can take any template and make it work with elgg. I do not know if you browsed around at some of the community profiles or not. But, so far I have tried templates from freecsstemplates.org, Joomla, Drupal and here. I am guessing that a wordpress theme would be no problem as well.To answer the other question about the sidebar. This is all done by altering the pageshell and css. Inorder to get the different modules you have to hardcode the markup and add css classes into the css. I was able to use most of the features from the original template like ltr styling sheets, png fixes and all that kind of stuff. Why I am using elgg. Joomla is the best "content mngt sys" but lacks in the user interaction area. So I decided to mesh Joomla with Elgg. Joomla is handling my databases and Elgg is taking care of my members. Another thing to note about this particular template is that I have not altered any of Elgg Core. It is straight up html and css with some javascript thrown in.

My email is webmaker at yoddle.net I would love to have some work so pick your template from anywhere and send me a note. I will get right on it.
just to share this with you ;-)
regards un-leash,
a big fan for ++ 11 years now: With Joomla you can easily create and extend your website: see the site, that offers you ideas & modules - extensions.joomla.org - it lists over 4000 extensions

Beat
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Beat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:42 pm

I've been following this long thread, and wished to participate earlier, but always lacked the time to. Anyway, took now an hour to read through and address questions/issues/points. :)

There are number of things in this thread that need to be commented and others which need to be precised. Don't really know where to start, but let's take them in a random order...:
  • Joomla 1.5's ACL can perfectly be replaced/extended. It's API allows this, and number of components do this. One example: There is a hack-free ACL for automated social memberships management for Joomla+CB, CBSubs which uses Joomla 1.5 (and Joomla 1.0's) API for adding fine-grained automated ACL depending on memberships, free or paid. ;)
  • Joomla is massively used for community sites, together with Community Builder (CB), Joomla's most popular extension on the Joomla Extensions Directory since the directory exists. There are many other non-Joomla solutions for building community sites, and that's really cool (I really mean it), but if you look at community size, Joomla + CB is by far the most used one. CB Team has also been cooperative with Joomla core team at each Joomla release, to ensure integration, and Joomla 1.6 will be no exception. Also we give great care at keeping our APIs stable, so that the 180 extensions specific for Community Builder continue working fine in new CB releases. 8)
  • Regarding lack of integration of users-lists in joomla.org here, I guess this is simply due to fact that Joomla is big, and requires several servers for being able to serve the load, and while a fully integrated site would have been easy to make on a single server, the solution chosen here is the most pragmatic one to keep the load on the infrastructures and moderation teams bearable.
  • Community Builder 1.2.1 has come a long way, and most core plugins have been refactored for web-2.0 and using a social-mvc approach. MyCommunity template and a few other commercial templates have shown that CB can be templated. More are in the works and to come. :)
  • Forum integration: CB 1.2.1 has tight integration with Joomla's #1 forum component Kunena 1.0.10, and very soon now (works already in SVN) Kunena 1.5 native. It even allows to show profile information with each post ! :p
  • CB Team has helped Kunena team in testing and stabilizing Kunena 1.0.10, and is now doing same for Kunena 1.5. We are also very excited about the new simple but efficient and well working moderation tools being developed Kunena 1.5, which should close the biggest gap of Kunena compared to other forums.
  • CB Team has taken over (friendly) GroupJive to make it stable and smoothly runining with CB, and we are now putting a new team in place, which will have someone almost full time to get it stable.
  • JFusion integrates well with CB. 8)
  • CB is GPL and free, since long time. Installation and first config parts of manual are also free (34 pages). The full manual (200+ pages) is available to yearly CB doc-subscribers, with a few other GPL-thank-you-presents. ;)
  • CB ProfileBook 1.2 RC2 runs natively on Joomla 1.5 and 1.0 and has a blogging tab, as well as a module for last blogs. It's GPL and free for doc subscribers in RC state, and will be free for everyone once released stable. :)
  • CBSubs (commercial, with flexible pricing) adds membership levels, ACL, membership payments, members-donations management and comes with 15+ integrations with main joomla extensions, and completely integrates with CB. ;)
  • Joomla 1.6 is a great advance in ACL and users/members management, and CB and CBSubs will be running fine on it when it's released. We are already working with Joomla 1.6 svn versions to test interoperability, and giving feedbacks and improvement ideas in the Joomla developers-chat.
  • CB has a captcha plugin, actually several ones, the latest one from CB Team is available as thank you to doc subscribers (GPL)
That's just some of the answers and additional informations about Community Builder. If you have any questions, we have an active forum team and community over at joomlapolis.com that can answer quickly any questions you may have.

We do highly appreciate cooperation with many extensions-developers, and also appreciate other solutions emerging, as the needs are really very diverse, and while CB covers a lot, it can't cover all. ;)

There is one main thing about CB that got already pointed out above:
  • CB is a social framework, it's not something which will give you a "standard MySpace" out of the box, but it will allow you to configure and extend it to your own needs. It requires some time and understanding, but gives it a very different approach from other joomla and non-joomla ready-made social-applications.
Now that we have almost finished the rework of our social framework and API "under the hood", there will be quite some news and releases coming out with highly-visible web-2.0 features coming out. Thanks to our supporters and doc-subscribers, as well as CBSubs customers, we are extending our team further, and will have some more great news coming along regularly. :p

Ok, that made a way longer post as initially intended, sorry about that, but hope it contributes to this interesting discussion. :)
Beat 8)
www.joomlapolis.com <= Community Builder + CBSubs Joomla membership payment system - team
hosting.joomlapolis.com <= Joomla! Hosting, by the CB Team

FidelGonzales
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by FidelGonzales » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:42 pm

@Beat

Thanks for the extensive and particularly insightful update as to the tremendous progress Community Builder has recently made.
http://www.MediaArmory.com - WEB | PHOTO | WRITE | MARKETING | DESIGN
http://www.DirtArmory.com - Off Road Sports Lifestyle

jmfavre
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmfavre » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:31 am

Hi,
Thanks beat for the detail description ;-).
It looks like advertisment, but saying "don't forget community builder" is certainly fair.You've served the community for a long time. Many thanks !

I'm a doc subscriber of community builder and I like this component very much. I would say that this is a "must" for any joomla plateform and this is one of the best component for joomla.

But currently community builder is mostly a (very good) "user manager" (I'm not refering to the paid subscription which add the control "user - content").

And though I would be very happy to continue with it as I feel very comfortable with its features, I think that it is *unfortunately*rather far from a tool for community management and social networking.

"Social" means puting the emphasis on communication, relationships, and dynamic groups of users. Community builder takes its roots in "user management". This is perfectly ok, and as said before this is certainly one of the best component for joomla. No doubt about it.

But a "social network" would require an integrated set of communication tools, a set of tools to show what's happening in the community, tools for invitation, group management, etc.

I also gave a donation to groupjive some months ago, to push its development, and I don't regret it, though the project stopped (that's life, and I'm happy anyhow to help those who help the community). I've been very happy to know that there will be some integration with community builder at some point. Flexible group management is a must for social networks. But the problem then is to make the bridges between groups, content, and communication channels. Groupjive makes it possible to manage groups, but there is not too much functionalities offered for groups. Having a "board" for a group (and some private forum threads) is important, but groups should also be able to share content, calendars, etc.
I've found by the way that ProjectFork is an excellent component as it has group, nice control management, calendar, etc. It is oriented towards project management but it is still very interesting.
I also found that GMAccess is truely excellent for access control. This is a french component (though there is a english translation) and I guess that this is not very well know outside from the french community.

Another aspect which is very important when considering social network is that the web 2.0 features of current tools put the standards as rather high in term of user interface, design, etc. The MyCommunity template for community builder is a good step in this direction, but I think that many web master are reluctant to use community builder because it GUI is rather "old fashion" and the design does not meet what we can see on the web. I would say that community builder suffer from its "look & feel" and that a set of templates (rather than only one) would greatly help.

In fact, considering the evolution of community builder from an external point of view, I would say that is start with "extended user management", leading to the bright component we all know. Then it goes to the "paid content" direction. Which is somewhat natural given the fact that joomla is mostly about content, and that there is certainly a buisiness in "paid content" domain. If you have a website and your business is about selling content, then CBSub is certainly a very good alternative. CBSub is "expensive" but this is because all the model is based on the fact that your are going to get more money by selling the content of your web site.

But while community builder was evolving from "extended user management" to "subscriber management (user-money-content)" many other tools evolved or appeared to be platform for "social network". If you really think about, community builder is not really about "community". There are only a few elements that give a flavor of social network. I would say the first element is the management of "friends" (I can say that someone is your friend but this information is not really used - lack of integration with other component). The second element is the template "MyCommunity". As you know a template does not change anything. It just looks better. I would say that this is however important, because it gives a look and feel that is most suited to what you "social user" might get use to.
But all in all, community builder is currently not a tool for social networking. You might be able to create something on top of it by assembling different components, etc. But this is quite some hard work. You may consider having a look at other social component mentionned in this thread (but I would personnaly prefer to remain with Community Builder as it is a open source component). I'm not sure that there is a business in building social network based on free content, and anyway the business of community builder has been about paid content, not social networking.

If you want to build a social network with something out of the box and totally free, you must have a look at elgg. By contrast to Joomla/CB that started with content/user, elgg started (as far as I know) with social networking. It looks great, its free, there is a growing community, etc.
You might also want to consider ning or things like that.

Summing up:
- community builder is excellent for "user management" (this is a must).
- if you want to sell some of your content and make money with this, then you can buy CBSub, which is a commercial component made for you
- if you have no money and want a "social network" out of the box, then consider elgg
- if you have many things in joomla, but want to build a social network, then ... you are just like me, having a lot of trouble to find the best path to solve your problem ;-)

I think that an integration between elgg and joomla would be really cool. I will meet some elgg guys soon. But I will also continue to have a look at how to extend community builder. There is no optimal solution.

The benefit with elgg, is that everything is connected right from the beginning because the framework is social oriented. The problem with joomla is that there are many pieces (components) that you have to integrate (1) to make them fit together, (2) to make them "social" aware. This could be partly a nightmare and the resulting look and feel good be disapointing.

To be honnest, I think that here there is a treat for the future of joomla. Web 2.0 and social networks are going to continue to develop in a fast mode (and at some point will include more features for content management - features that made the success of joomla). If there is nothing in joomla evolution that goes in this direction, my bet is that it will be superseed at some point (and as a result will be considered as legacy cms). I see a really big risk there. This *really* makes me unhappy because I love the joomla community and I've invested a lot of time on joomla.

Let's see how I can contribute in the future.
Let's see how community builder evolve in the direction of social networking. The problem is to find a business model. I discussed with many people and most of them found that the existing commercial component such as joomsocial are rather expensive for what they provide (or at least that this too expensive to include this on their web site as they do not make enough money for justifying this cost).
Community builder provides a free framework. The problem is how to add a free social framework on top of it and find a business model to get money for some extensions. But I think that the framework should be free if one want to attract third parties developer and have a eco system on top of the social network.
The elgg platform is free, it is social based, and there are a lot of extensions for it. Nice eco-system.

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Beat wrote: 
I've been following this long thread, and wished to participate earlier, but always lacked the time to. Anyway, took now an hour to read through and address questions/issues/points. :)
. . .
Think you could stuff any more keyword/key-phrase links in that post?

Blatant free SEM advertising at work.
██ LibreTraining

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:17 pm

h @ all hi Jim

thx for your contribution. thx for these interesting ideas - food for thougth!
jmfavre wrote:Hi, To be honnest, I think that here there is a treat for the future of joomla. Web 2.0 and social networks are going to continue to develop in a fast mode (and at some point will include more features for content management - features that made the success of joomla). If there is nothing in joomla evolution that goes in this direction, my bet is that it will be superseed at some point (and as a result will be considered as legacy cms). I see a really big risk there. This *really* makes me unhappy because I love the joomla community and I've invested a lot of time on joomla.

Let's see how I can contribute in the future.
Let's see how community builder evolve in the direction of social networking. The problem is to find a business model. I discussed with many people and most of them found that the existing commercial component such as joomsocial are rather expensive for what they provide (or at least that this too expensive to include this on their web site as they do not make enough money for justifying this cost).
Community builder provides a free framework. The problem is how to add a free social framework on top of it and find a business model to get money for some extensions. But I think that the framework should be free if one want to attract third parties developer and have a eco system on top of the social network.
The elgg platform is free, it is social based, and there are a lot of extensions for it. Nice eco-system.
well very interesting - and great starting points for a fruitful discussion

look forward to this discussion here

regards un-leash,

FidelGonzales
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by FidelGonzales » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 pm

kenmcd wrote:
Beat wrote: 
. . .
Think you could stuff any more keyword/key-phrase links in that post?

Blatant free SEM advertising at work.
Great criteria to consider but a seemingly faulty assessment.

If SEM was indeed the objective, the likely keywords and keyword phrases to link would have included a more global "social networking" phrase as opposed to the current references to "Community Builder," which is already secured in search results.
http://www.MediaArmory.com - WEB | PHOTO | WRITE | MARKETING | DESIGN
http://www.DirtArmory.com - Off Road Sports Lifestyle

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Can we please keep the moderating to the people assigned to that task ;) Back on topic !

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:25 pm

hello dear friends, well dear mates - peace to you! ;)

plz stay calm. The world of joomla has got so much to offer: take the best of it.

just wanted to share this with you some updates:

1. joomunity: drstonyhills - one of the main-developers of joomunity is back again..see http://forum.yooonity.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=843

dstonyhills says:
(just back from exams, disapearing for the rest of the week) For now appologies for the absence! (replying from phone, so can't write much now)
good: The joomunity-development goes on.... :)

2. Anahitapolis: And the second good news: for Anhahita the first release is announced http://twitter.com/anahitapolis . Some say that the first demos are available allready: see more of anahitapolis: http://anahitapolis.com/ - just head over and follow the development.

Rastin Mehr aka Aristocrat, one of the lead-developer wrote here http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... &p=1726831
Anahita Social Engine will be released under GPL license and you will be able to download it from the Joomla extensions directory. Anahita Social Applications will be available through a club subscription model. and we will keep everything GPL. You could even build your own social applications for Anahita and list them on the joomla extensions directory if you like. check out this video, I think it contains many of the information that you want to know: http://www.vimeo.com/5091589
travel over and see it http://demo.anahitapolis.com/

It is a great thing to see such great systems evolving.

Just thought that it is of general interest... ;)
regards un-leash,

klempit
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by klempit » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:18 am

We use MyBlog for client sites and find it an acceptable solution. V 3.0 seems much better in many respects. Also, it stores content in joomla items, so it would seem that if there was a reason to move away from MyBlog that wouldn't be too difficult (some minor article formatting idiosyncrasies aside). We are building a pretty large consumer site that is a club with community features. CB Subs, Kunena (latest versions with CB/Kunena integration), MyBlog seem to be a pretty compelling package on a functional level. Not as "slick as snot" as Jomsocial, but the subscription component enables our business model quite nicely (cost of documentation and commercial components seems very reasonable for a profit-making project, IMHO). On the proprietary (and expensive) side, Ektron and Siteforum are fully integrated CMS/Social Site/Kitchen Sink solutions worthy of a look-see, albeit with all the issues of proprietary s/w. Thanks guys for this great thread.

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:13 pm

@ jmfavre: what bout the elgg-conference held in Paris - La Cantine [franco-italian word for le Mensa, just kidding :)] Well - what are the outcomes. Is it worth to wait for the bridge of elgg and joomla.

Well Doctor Livingstone - the guy behind Joomunity is back home. He mentioned last week that he is willing to work on joomunity.

the team behind anahitapolis is working hard to get the social engine out of the door very soon.

i follow them on twitter - and i want to share this with you: they have told that the release will be in the near future... See the great roadmap and all the superb things that come with the anahita...

http://anahitapolis.com/screen-captures

http://anahitapolis.com/feature-list

just wanted to share this with you

regards
regards un-leash,

chouxpastry2002
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chouxpastry2002 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:20 am

i am still confuse that any system in joomla provides functions as elgg provides as i am hardcore joomla user but have to turn out to elgg because of some features available there!!!
Follow me on Twitter : @chouxpastry2002
Submit your Joomla themes: http://www.duothemes.com
Tutorials On Web - Free web design tutorials: http://www.tutorialonweb.com

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:35 am

hello dear chouxpastry2002, good day. Hope everything is all right

- great to see you here. And many many thanks for your engaged words: Man, you took the words right out of my mouth.. And i guess that JimVafre would say the same! He is an addcited Elgg-man. [@ Jimfavre - what can you tell from your meeting with the Elgg-folks at La Cantine - the great place in Paris.]
chouxpastry2002 wrote:i am still confuse that any system in joomla provides functions as elgg provides as i am hardcore joomla user but have to turn out to elgg because of some features available there!!!
BTW; head over to the page: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 0#p1746834

Rastin the developer of Anahita is talking bout the latest news from http://www.anahitapolis.com
Just follow the developergroul on twitter: http://twitter.com/rmdstudio or just hear what rastin says:
At this moment we are only using the Anahita Social Discussions with Anahita Social Engine to provide a discussion board functionality. Groups will be implemented after the public release. See, most project have hard-coded something that behaves like a group functionality you see on popular social networks.
We like to provide something more flexible which is the concept of sub-container. A sub-container can become a Group, Event, Organization Page, Etc. via either configuration or or simply extending the Anahita API. you can use/assign multiple social apps inside a sub-container (discussion boards, photos, links, etc ...)
Which is why we are waiting a bit for the Anahita Social Engine API to become more stable a bit since we don't want to just hard code groups in the system. Using a more flexible approach you will be able to have not only groups sub-containers but also type of sub-containers that haven't even been used or created in the existing social websites. We'll leave that to the community member's imagination :)
See more infos: Rastin Mehr - Web Application Architect http://www.rmdstudio.com - Custom Social Networks, CMS, and iPhone application development http://www.Anahitapolis.com - The Anahita Social ™ Engine project
And head over to http://twitter.com/rmdstudio - folllow them and leave a note! Say that you support them. Well - the Anahita-project is very very promising. The devs work hard to release the great social-engine. The featurelist is very impressive. i suggest: just head over to twitter

Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/anahitapolis
http://www.twitter.com/rmdstudio
http://www.twitter.com/peerglobe

Blogs http://blog.anahitapolis.com
http://blog.rmdstudio.com

On twitter you can follow the guys - rmd-studio... etc.. love to see you there. And now i love to see a fruitfull discussion bout Anahitapolis, Elgg, Joomunity and Joomsocial

Come on and share your ideas, whishes and experience with us all

regards un-leash,

chouxpastry2002
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chouxpastry2002 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:54 pm

Hello Joo_jesus,

Many thanks to you that you have a word on my comments on the system. I personally do liked the features list for Anahita and following all the link against it.

Also waiting for its stable release so that i can implement it on couple of my websites.I have also requested a partnership for it.

The question i wanted to ask to you is :

1. Is there any system in Joomla which provides the users with groups,Albums,Files per users and groups.

2. The users with different roles which are moderators and authors for groups.

3. Forum posts and blog assigned for each user. Commenting system.

I saw some functionality in

http://www.jomsocial.com/community.html

But it lacks in files storage for each user and groups.The files must be searchable by registered in website but access to only members of that particular group which is major requirement for website.

Also user album is a major feature for the website.

Please suggest the system so that i can give it a try. For time being i have already built the website using elgg for my community.

Also gave a try to buddypress as wordpress is my favorite platform next to joomla.

And still i would like to give a try to Joomla as it is my favorite CMS all time. It is because i loved the support and development for Joomla over other CMS systems

So i am waiting for your expert advice on it.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Regards,
Sam.

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:06 pm

good evening dear chouxpastry2002

well unfortunatley i am no expert.
Please suggest the system so that i can give it a try. For time being i have already built the website using elgg for my community.
i also think about elgg-integration - but the guys of Anahita talked bout a early release

Well - i am sure that there are some guys here that can help out in the issues.
JmFavre - i think he is a expert on elgg-things.

i come back later

joo

update- i just came back from the http://www.blog.tuiyo.co.uk/ .. i read all bout the great Joomunity-follow-up: get all news at blog.tuiyo.co.uk: work in progress, sustainable development ahead read more http://tiny url.com/qm3cl2
regards un-leash,

Curtsong2
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Curtsong2 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:09 pm

Hello JMFavre,

I have been reading, and researching and spending money and time on the whole social networking for some web projects that I've undertaken. And found your articles to be enlightening.

I started out with CB and then purchased SuperActivity plugin to make it more social, and then found JomSocial and purchased that allong with it's JomComment and MyBlog. I was very excited to use JomSocial with it's plugins, thinking that it would be an all-in-one package instead of using string and tape with a Community Builder approach.

I've become very dissatisfied with JomSocial as their documentation and support is very very poor considering it's commercial social plugin. Their documentation isn't even complete. I'm rather exhausted with the amount of time I spend with third party plugins that publish their products before completely testing the integrations and without the full documentation support of their products. It seems that we are subjected to the "Windows" paradigm with the "Vista" debacle. Everyone releases an unfinished application.

I do realize that it all takes time and resources and money to have a fully completed product. I'm not a truly qualified developer. Just self taught in simple html, css, and starting in php. Joomla was a great way for me to see php in action and learn from construction. I still have quite a long journey in that realm.

I'm eager to learn but, it certainly isn't easy when I run into these hurdles.

Your contribution to this subject was very enlightening and hopefully, it raised the awareness of the importance of keeping Joomla on the cutting edge and competitive with the social community functions that we will all need starting now.

Thanks.

chouxpastry2002
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chouxpastry2002 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:55 pm

saw something useful at

http://community.joomla.org/blogs/commu ... ate-3.html

It says that it can integrate joomla with Elgg so i am giving it a try to it lets see how much it gets successful!!!

chouxpastry2002
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chouxpastry2002 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:19 pm

I have tried it but not able to get it working can anyone please try to get it workinng ??

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:59 pm

hi there chouxpastry2002

well great to hear from you. I really appreciate your interest in getting Elgg - running under Joomla. I did not try it yet. But i t looks very very impressive.

well - i think from time to time we need a wrap-up of the development-news:

If you want to apply a social-component then think about the following systems;

1. Joomsocial.com
2. Joomunity - now running under new name http://www.blog.tuiyo.co.uk/ and corresponding
blog.tuiyo.co.uk: work in progress, sustainable development ahead read more http://tiny url.com/qm3cl2 . see the very impressive screenshots of the new and enhanced system at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26553320@N07/3690036664/ - it is very impressive!!
3. http://www.Anahitapolis.com
4. http://www.Elgg.org [not native to Joomla but now with a big success]
Read more here: GSOC JConnect Status Update 3 - great success http://tiny url.com/m2skrr

JConnect - The Integration Engine for Joomla is now pretty much ready.(OK we say it BETA). Before we going into much details lets talk about it's features. It can do following with it's External Applications.. (Currently only Elgg)

See also some corresponding links/threads where you can find more infos - for the overall-discussion: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=470&t=354994 and http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 4#p1749534

and for the systems: http://www.Anahitapolis.com - The Anahita Social ™ Engine projec
http://blog.anahitapolis.com and http://blog.rmdstudio.com :: Anahita™ was showing skin at the DemoCamp Vancouver 07 http://blog.anahitapolis.com/2009/06/an ... couver-07/ head over for more at http://www.Anahitapolis.com

hope that helps - to inform about the latest - and now please discuss and share your ideas

regards joo_ ;)
regards un-leash,

chouxpastry2002
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chouxpastry2002 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:53 pm

yes those are indeed the latest systems available but no joomla components are having features as elgg. But elgg also do have many problems.

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:33 pm

good evening dear chouxpastry2002 hello dear mate!! :) and hello Curtsong2

well, how easy can we put elgg on a standard web account. is it very difficult? I heard about that it takes lots of work to do a standard-installation!?

Hmmm

- or is it as easy as setting up joomla!? If so - i would love to give it a try

I look forrward to hear from you. Let us discuss this - and find a sloution.

cheers
joo ;)
regards un-leash,

chouxpastry2002
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chouxpastry2002 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:47 pm

what do you mean by standard web account ???

Well i have tried various way whole sunday but none of them worked for me so sunday wasted!!!

My assignment remains lol got to do it now!!!

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:03 pm

hi there chouxpastry2002

well - i heard that ELGG does not run on CGI-Accounts
you must run php someway other ....

by the way - just do some requests - to the anahintapolis.com - developers and to the tuiyo.co.uk developers - and the corresponding twitter_accounts.

they are just heading a release.. if we ask them to give us a early-beta release -... that would be great

what do you think.. about this?!

look forward to hear from you :)
regards un-leash,

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:15 pm

So they say.

Elgg 1.2 runs on CGI. 1.5 may be able to as well.

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:41 pm

hi dpk good evening... ;)

great to hear from you !
dpk wrote:So they say. Elgg 1.2 runs on CGI. 1.5 may be able to as well.
had a quick view on the settings:

apache
apache Loaded Modules: mod_cgi

Apache Environment:
GATEWAY_INTERFACE CGI/1.1

PHP Variables:
_SERVER["GATEWAY_INTERFACE"] CGI/1.1

hmm - that means i can install Elgg 1.2 on my server!? Well i think i give it a try...
Has anybody tried the JConnect-Bridge with Elgg 1.2? I would love to discuss with you.

Joo... jesus ;)

BTW: if the folks that develope at Anahitapolis.com and Tuiyo.co.uk would release - then all would benefit - the development would get a bunch of feedback - and the user would see whats the both open-source-apps are about:

1. http://www.Anahitapolis.com with the great feature-set
2. Joomunity - now running under new name http://www.blog.tuiyo.co.uk/ and corresponding
blog.tuiyo.co.uk: work in progress, sustainable development ahead read more http://tiny url.com/qm3cl2 . see the very impressive screenshots of the new and enhanced system at - very impressive images!! see the screenshots of the Joomunity-follow-up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26553320@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26553320@N07/3690036664/
regards un-leash,

chouxpastry2002
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chouxpastry2002 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:39 am

Both the systems are very good but the thing lag behind in all the systems is that files storage per group and access control which Elgg provides properly.

So i am still on elgg checking out with servers for specifications though.

Sam.

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:27 am

Hi Sam

many thanks for the update. Let us try out the bridge-solution. Guess that
JimFavre and perhaps dpk also will work /and discuss this great thing

look forward to a fruitfull discussion

Joo

vanilla-installation - of ELGG - @ JimFavre... and all the other experts.... who wants to participate in the install-workshop!?

http://www.installationwiki.org/Installing_Elgg

gardez: http://www.installationwiki.org/Installing_Elgg

Installing Elgg

Now that we have a platform ready for Elgg, let's move on to the most important step of setting up Elgg. Download the latest version of Elgg from its website. At the time of writing this tutorial, the latest version of Elgg was Elgg-0.8. Elgg is distributed as a zipped file.

To uncompress under Linux: Move this zipped file to /tmp and uncompress it with the following command:

$ unzip /tmp/elgg-0.8.zip

To uncompress under Windows: Right-click on the ZIP file and select the Extract here option.

After uncompressing the ZIP file, you should have a directory called elgg-<version-number>, in my case, elgg-0.8/. This directory contains several sub directories and files. The INSTALL file contains detailed installation instructions. The first step is to move this uncompressed directory to your web server.

Note - You can set up Elgg on your local web server that sits on the Internet or on a paid web server in a data center anywhere on the planet. The only difference between the two setups is that if you don't have access to the local web server, you'll have to contact the web service provider and ask him about the transfer options available to you. Most probably, you'll have FTP access to your web server, and you'll have to use one of the dozens of FTP clients, available for free, to transfer Elgg's files from your computer to the remote web server. Optionally, if you have "shell" access on the web server, you might want to save time by transferring just the zipped file and unzipping it on the web server itself. Contact your web server provider for this information.

The webserver's directory where you need to copy the contents of the Elgg directory depends upon your Apache installation and operating system. In Ubuntu Linux, the default web server directory is /var/www/. In Windows, WAMP5 asks where it should create this directory during installation. By default, it's the www directory and is created within the directory you installed WAMP5 under.

Note- Another important decision you need to make while installing Elgg is how do you want your users to access your network. If you're setting up the network to be part of your existing web infrastructure, you'll need to install Elgg inside a directory. If, on the other hand, you are setting up a new site just for the Elgg-powered social network, copy the contents of the Elgg directory inside the www directory itself and not within a subdirectory. Once you have the Elgg directory within your web server's www directory, it's time to set things in motion. Start by renaming the config-dist.php file to config.php and the htaccess-dist to .htaccess. Simply right-click on the file and give it a new name or use the mv command in this format:

$ mv <original-file-name> <new-file-name>

Note- To rename htacces-dist to .htaccess in Windows, you'll have to open the htaccess-dist file in notepad and then go to File | Save As and specify the name as .htaccess with the quotes.
regards un-leash,

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”