User registration extension, recommendations?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
fedster
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

User registration extension, recommendations?

Post by fedster » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:30 pm

Hello,

I need to extend a bit the user registration, need to ask for some extra fields (last name, phones, address and a multiple selection field) I have tried with JUser extension but this has been a nightmare, it was easy to add the fields, but the forgot password won't work, there is some sort of bug with the page after the user has login, it doesn't has an interface to create users from the back-end, I have ask for support (offering to pay for it ) to the ppl who wrote it and no answer.

So I think I have waste valuable time of my project with this extension with no luck, is there an other extension that would extend this functionality that you can recommend?

The other option I have been thinking of is expanding the registration myself but no quite sure if I understand correctly how does this works on Joomla.

Thnaks for any help

wlrdq
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: User registration extension, recommendations?

Post by wlrdq » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:42 pm

Community Builder allows you to do custom user fields. It also provides a lot more functionality, but that may be more than you are currently looking for:
http://www.joomlapolis.com/

You could extend the user registration yourself, like you mentioned, but it depends on how much work you want to put into it. If you are going to just end up with the same thing someone else has already done, might not be a bad idea to use theirs.

If you do try to code it up yourself, feel free to hit me up for questions. If you make something good, I think other people would be interested in using it as well. I think we've all run into having to use Community Builder (no offense to CB) just because we wanted a few more user fields on registration.
Will Mavis - Joomla Developer
http://www.covertapps.com/jam <<< Joomla! on your Android, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
If you think I can help you, PM me a link to your post and I will respond. Please don't hijack another user's thread.

fedster
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fedster » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:55 am

Thanks wrldq

OK I'll try frist with CB and if not will go with the custom change and if needed will ping you! :D

Thanks!

jerryjurden
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jerryjurden » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:01 pm

What did you end up doing on this? Sticking with CB or creating your own extension?

fedster
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by fedster » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:12 pm

I kept the JUser extension, had to fix somethings over here and some over there, but I won't recommend it a lot, I'm waiting for 1.6 to be ready and see if some sort of migration its possible.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”