EasyImageCaption plugin: Bugs and features

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
floriansilberhochzeit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: EasyImageCaption plugin: Bugs and features

Post by floriansilberhochzeit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 pm

shahram1 wrote:there is not a single respond from the developer
In fact he has responded several times.

However, I would be more than delighted if he was going to answer the latest requests.

superligasrbije
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by superligasrbije » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:26 pm

floriansilberhochzeit wrote:

However, I would be more than delighted if he was going to answer the latest requests.
Yeah, me to.. Caption is really important for me, but the plugin has a small problem, that has to be solved, so I can use it.

shahram1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shahram1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:29 pm

superligasrbije wrote:
floriansilberhochzeit wrote:

Yeah, me to.. Caption is really important for me, but the plugin has a small problem, that has to be solved, so I can use it.
Well, I can not call my problem small, when it captions all smiles and Captcha in my site which renders it useless

superligasrbije
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by superligasrbije » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:43 pm

Well, I can not call my problem small, when it captions all smiles and Captcha in my site which renders it useless
well, that seems to be a real problem. what component for comments do you use?
I use JoomlaComments, and so I don't have any problems with smilies and captcha.

shahram1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shahram1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:26 pm

superligasrbije wrote:
well, that seems to be a real problem. what component for comments do you use?
I use JoomlaComments, and so I don't have any problems with smilies and captcha.
I am using the same thing and all my smiles get caption

superligasrbije
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by superligasrbije » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:37 pm

thats really weird. what version do you use?
I use the version JComments 2.1.0.0 and with it I don't have problems

shahram1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shahram1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 pm

Joomlacomment 4.0

superligasrbije
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by superligasrbije » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:02 pm

well, that could be the problem..

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:19 am

Hi there,

I am very sorry for not answering earlier. I was busy doing other things - and unfortunately the forum did not send notification mails about new posts, so I just discovered all your questions. :(

Actually I have started to work on my plugin again and hope to release a new version this week. There are several issues that have to be solved urgently.

@Makis77: I will add the possibility to put the caption above the image.

@SjoerdSmeets @superligasrbije: That is the same problem that webfooted/emily encountered. And it is a major error, so this will definitely be fixed soon (I think I already got it working here, needs some more testing).

@floriansilberhochzeit: I am planning to implement some control characters that would then be converted into HTML tags, e.g. you type |a|example.com|royalty-free-pics| or something like that.

@shahram1: The problem with JoomlaComment was described in this post (http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 9#p1847129) which I answered. In the upcoming version however you will have the possibility to define HTML ids inside which no image will get a caption. That should solve the JoomlaComment problem.

@dcg: I will have a look at the DOClink icons. An option to ignore very small images is an interesting idea - and should be easy to implement.

@bughiughi: Difficult to say what causes the problem without seeing the sites. But if it works in one Joomla installation and does not work in another one, the problem is not necessarily EasyImageCaption related. Some setting seems to be different on your live site - and I think you will have to find that difference first.

As I said, I am planning to release at least a beta version this week. So please stand-by a few more days...

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:55 pm

A new version of EasyImageCaption is available for download on my website.

This version has been labeled "beta" because of the numerous modifications (not sure if I did enough testing). However, since the plugin only affects the output of a website and does not change any data, it can be considered "safe". Just uninstall or deactivate it, if some bug messes up your layout. And please tell me about it. Version 0.3 is still available.

If you have been using previous versions of EasyImageCaption with external CSS for caption styling, you will have to change the CSS to match the new HTML structure! Parameters have also changed.

I hope you like it. :)

superligasrbije
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by superligasrbije » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks for the new version.

I still have a question. Where can I find "element.style" because it destroys the view of the caption. Because of "element.style" -> (I have seen it on firebug) I can't style the caption how I want to.

can I change it anywhere?

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:32 am

Hi superligasrbije,

the CSS style declarations that are written directly into the HTML tags through the STYLE property, are called "element.style" in Firebug.

Example

Code: Select all

<span class="easy_img_caption" style="display:inline-block;line-height:0.5;vertical-align:top;width:200px;float:right;margin: 0px 0px 10px 10px;">
Some of these declarations are necessary for displaying the captions and should not be overwritten. If you have the internal styling of EasyImageCaption activated, all the style settings from the parameters are written into that style property, too.

Example

<span class="easy_img_caption" style="display:inline-block;line-height:0.5;vertical-align:top;background-color:#F2F2F2;text-align:left;width:200px;float:right;margin: 0px 0px 10px 10px;">
For individual styling you may deactivate the internal styling and write all your CSS declarations into your template's CSS file.

If you want to overwrite single properties you have to use the "!important" statement in your CSS file. Otherwise the tag's style property has priority.

Example

span.easy_img_caption {margin-bottom: 30px !important;}

superligasrbije
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by superligasrbije » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks a lot!

Now I have no problems with the plugin anymore, so I can enjoy it!

Thank you!

jmv95
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmv95 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Do not work when the plugin SuperBlogger (by JoomlaWorks) is installed a solution would be welcome

jmv95
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmv95 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:07 pm

jmv95 wrote:Do not work when the plugin SuperBlogger (by JoomlaWorks) is installed a solution would be welcome
1 message on the forum, 2 mails to the author and still no response. :(

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Sorry for not answering earlier, but I have been busy and traveling recently. I intend to answer all questions and try to fix all problems, but after all, EasyImageCaption is a "just-for-fun-project", done in my spare time. So please do not expect a 24/7 premium support.

SuperBlogger is a commercial plugin which I have not purchased, so it may be difficult to tell anything about compatibility issues with my plugin.

In your first mail you said that when using SuperBlogger, EasyImageCaption displayed the title of the article instead of the image's ALT content. That is partly correct. I have had a look at several sites using SuperBlogger. It seems that SuperBlogger by default puts the article's title into the first image's ALT. So EasyImageCaption works as always. You should have a look at SuperBlogger, if this behaviour can be changed (maybe through some parameter). Or try the joomlaworks.gr forums and ask the developers directly.

If there are more problems concerning SuperBlogger and EasyImageCaption, please show me some example pages, preferably with EasyImageCaption activated as well as deactivated. So I can compare.

sosh2005
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sosh2005 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:36 am

Hi everyone, i love this plug in, but im having and issue with internet explorer that i cant solve! :-[

there is a lot of padding in the left of the picture so it make the picture move all the text a lot (lol) i dont know hot to explain it clearly, so i let you the sample of one of my articles:

http://[no tiny url]/9Y6Dft

also i attach you a screencap of my setting in de administrator panel,

i how you can help me, thanks in advance,
carlos
santa fe
argentina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tangelvy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Front end bug

Post by tangelvy » Wed May 12, 2010 2:01 pm

Hello,
I'm very happy with this plugin, but one bug is very problematic : as soon as I edit an article from the front end, title and alt tags of the images just disapear... Someone figured how to solve this ? Thanks for your help !

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Mon May 17, 2010 8:57 am

@sosh2005:
In your parameters you have set a 15px horizontal margin. That is 15px to the left AND right. The plugin's internal stylings are limited, so for further stylings you will have to use your CSS files.

If you are inserting your images through a common editor like JCE, I suggest you set the margins for the current image in the corresponding inserting dialog. These image margins will be preserved when "captionizing" the image.

@tangelvy:
I have to admit I usually do not use frontend editing. If the title and alt tags are really removed from the HTML code upon editing, then this looks more like a Joomla error (or editor error) to me rather than an EasyImageCaption error. My plugin is only able to convert the tags to caption. If there is no tag, well... nothing to do. :(

Markus101
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Markus101 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:32 am

Hello,

Thanks for creating a useful plugin. I am experiencing a few problems, perhaps you could help. I created a couple custom CSS classes that are defined in template.css and css_editor.css (so I can select them from the "Style" dropdown menu in JCE). I am not using JCE's built in caption plugin. I apply it to images in my articles, to float them, apply a margin, and apply a 1px border. I have the "Apply custom CSS code" enabled in the EIC plugin. However, I'm finding that when EIC creates the new "outer" box, it copies the border property (which I want) , but does not remove it from the actual image being inserted into the newly created layout. This results in two borders being applied, one on the image, the other on the newly created box. The CSS code I use to apply the style for image left or right:

I created a sample here to demonstrate the problem:

Code I'm using to float image left with a right margin and 1px border:
.imgLeftBorder {
margin: 0px 5px 0px 0px !important;
float: left;
border:#cccccc solid 1px;
}

As you can see from the code, I had to include the "!important" in the margin code, because I found that without it, the margin was not applied. Anyway, the margin is being applied correctly now that I've included the !important.

Also, perhaps my plugin is not installing properly. I have the following errors (I think) in the EIC configuration panel.

I tried creating my own CSS class and disabling the "Copy image classes" , but found that I was having difficulty getting the text box to format correctly. I really just wanted to specify a different font and font-spacing, because the EIC configuration panel does not allow for selecting a different font using the "Internal Styling". Perhaps you could publish some basic instructions on how to write the CSS so that it works correctly with the plugin? I named my class .span.easy_img_caption but still was not able to get the exact margin spacings I wanted to apply to the caption text. (everything else was working ok).

I have found a way of fixing the border problem after applying the custom styles, and that is to edit the picture, and specify "border: 0px" in the appearance > style box, but this seems like it defeats the point of creating the custom CSS code to easily apply the correct classes, and each picture has to be manually "fixed" using this method.

I notice sosh2005 had a similar problem.

Please reply if you have any suggestions.

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Fri May 28, 2010 2:01 pm

@Markus101: Thank you for this detailed description of your problems. I will work through it as soon as possible and hope I will be able to help you.

gumibear
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gumibear » Sat May 29, 2010 12:29 am

Hi Mr. Römer,

Thanks for all your work on this great extension. Everything seems to be working for the most part, but I have a couple issues.
1) I too am seeing the same code highlighted in yellow by Markus101 in the backend.
2) I see this message above every article: Notice: Undefined variable: margin_is_set in C:\wamp\www\insite_mag\plugins\content\easyimagecaption.php on line 668

I'm developing on wamp php v5.9.2-2, mysql v5.1.36

Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks again!

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:21 pm

@gumibear: The second problem you mentioned will be solved in my next update. I guess it is some general php setting on your system that requires variables to be explicitly defined.

@gummibear & Markus101: I was not able to reproduce the backend problems, but some other user send me an e-mail dealing with the same problem. So I did what he suggested and hope that will do it. If this error is still alive in the upcoming version though, please tell me.

@Markus101: If I understood your border/margin problem correctly, it works best for you with having "Copy image classes" enabled and you just want to get rid of the additional border. Try adding the following to your CSS:

span.imgLeftBorder img.imgLeftBorder {
border: none !important;
}

This should put no border on images with class "imgLeftBorder" if they are inside a span with class "imgLeftClass" (not sure if the "!important" flag is necessary here).

The EasyImageCaption box consists of two elements (+ image of course): the "outer" span with "easy_img_caption" class that holds both the image and the "inner" span with "easy_img_caption_inner" class. On one of my own sites I am using the following CSS code to style the captions for example:

.easy_img_caption {
background-color: #E6EFF4;
font-size: 8pt;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
line-height: 1;
text-align: left;
}

.easy_img_caption_inner {
margin: 0;
padding: 4px 8px;
}

You may define the font settings in the inner class as well; the "text-align" property however must be declared in the outer one. The margin around the outer box in this case is defined through the JCE editor individually when inserting an image. Hope this helps.

Markus101
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Markus101 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:44 am

Thanks. The code for the two easy image caption classes was super useful. I've got things looking pretty much the way I want. I've decided to go without the borders for now. I'm not a CSS coder by any stretch of the imagination, and need to get a book to learn the basics so I can get everything working with the borders. Thanks again for a very useful plugin.

jdockum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdockum » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:58 pm

**EDIT: I overlooked the option, should have spent another 10 minutes looking around. Please disregard this post. Could a friendly Moderator delete this?

Anyway.. Thanks for your superb plugin!

delroyp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by delroyp » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:27 am

How do i make the background the same size as the image.....?

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:05 pm

Sorry for the late answer.

Actually this is all about CSS. I guess you have margins set for your images through a CSS class. If that is the case, then you will need to turn EasyImageCaptions "Internal styling" off and style everything via your CSS file.

Turn the EasyImageCaption parameter "Copy image's classes" to "Yes". The < span > element that is wrapped around the image by EasyImageCaption will then get all the image's classes as well, so that you can define new CSS statements for this span and for the image inside. You have to know about CSS to do this.

If you need more help, please show some example page.

---
@everyone: I don't look into that thread very often. So if you don't get an answer within some days, please write me an e-mail via the website http://joomla.roemer-online.org.

mehinger
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mehinger » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks for a great plugin! I think I've found a bug, though. If the image width is specified in percent, e.g. 90%, EasyImageCaption transforms it into 90 pixels instead...

Obvious work-around: Since width specified in percent only (?) works in Firefox, I should transform them to pixels instead anyway...
"Primum vivere diende philosophari" (Live before you philosophize. ("Leap before you look."))

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:25 am

You are right. :eek:

And no-one has ever noticed. Now that's something I will have to fix. Put it on my list.

FluidDruid23
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by FluidDruid23 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi,

I can't seem to get the plugin to work for me. Images have alt and/or title, but no captions are being displayed when I choose either.

Here's a sample page, where the 3rd and 4th images have titles: http://www.usfoodsight.com/profile/soup ... -deli.html

Help, please?

Thanks,
Matt
purpleplanet - Software Solutions :: Custom Joomla Development at http://www.purpleplanet.com :: Free Quotes, Excellent Fresh Designs :: 10% Discount When You Quote "JoomForum09"

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”