EasyImageCaption plugin: Bugs and features

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: EasyImageCaption plugin: Bugs and features

Post by LearningByDoing » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 am

@tedpruitt: Hmm, that looks weird. Are you using the regular Joomla! blog layout, or is this an extension? Maybe you could post/send me that part of the source code of the page (not the PHP code, but the browser's HTML output).

@silke: Are you sure? You can check your PHP version in the Joomla! backend: "Help > System Info". I hope it is still PHP4 ;)

@Phil Maxwell: I personally don't use JoomGallery, so I haven't had a deeper look at it yet (only added the general joomplu compatibility). But I think it won't be a problem to implement this option. Put it on my list. Stand by...

@bmheck: That's an interesting idea. Put this on my list, too.

@everyone: Thanks for all your comments that help making EasyImageCaption even better. I never thought my plugin would ever be labeled "Popular" in the extension directory (hope that stands for a while). :) Keep posting.

sil_ke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sil_ke » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:55 am

Heyho,

PHP: 5.1.4-Debian-0.1~sarge1
Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux)

?? ;)

Cheers
Silke

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:35 pm

Well, good for you...

...not so good for me. :'(

I just set up a PHP 5.1.4 system for testing. I am not getting the syntax error (the one with line 153), but you are right - it is not working anyway. With EasyImageCaption plugin active, articles are not shown at all.

I will work on it. Until then: EasyImageCaption requires PHP 5.2 ;)

sil_ke
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sil_ke » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:49 pm

Harhar ;)
Ok! I will go and get a cup of tea ...

the0bald
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by the0bald » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:00 pm

Heyho,
really great plugin! The joomla standard with caption.js is soooo :eek: Your plugin seems to be a great solution and makes me life longer. ;)

But... any chance to get it worked with http://www.imagesizer.de/? This is a great plugin to get thumbnails with a link to a slimbox in the easiest way I can image. Paste, Drag & Drop to resize picture, ready.

But if I activate EasyImageCaption the imagesizer didn't worked any more. I have no idea where i can start to find the problem. Just change the order so that easycaption starts before/after imagesizer, but no changes. Any hint where I can find the problem?

I appreciate your time and consideration. Sincerely,
the0bald

tedpruitt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tedpruitt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:23 pm

I'm just using the standard Joomla blog layout. I am using the SolarSentinal template from RocketTheme - not sure if that makes a diff...attached is the source.

Is it possible that there is something in the CSS of the template that is interfering? I know it's pretty complex. I also noticed that your plugin isn't overriding the built-in 'caption' class - so maybe that's a place to look...

Ted
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

macview
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by macview » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:50 pm

LearningByDoing, Sorry for not getting back to you sooner - I had written up some comments but it never posted for some odd reason.

Anyways, Thank you for the update you made that helped with JUMultithumb compatibility and it works with JUMultithumb 2.2. Unfortunately a lot more breaks in Juimage 2.3 that was released after your update (the images open to a blank page only - no light box and Title mode doesn't work). I am happy though to use what works and don't expect you to make fixes that may be more of an issue at the JUMultithumb side.

That being said for those who do have issues with various plug-ins not working with each other try rearranging their order in the plug-in list. I found that if I had (for instance) The Ultimate Social Bookmarking Plugin ABOVE JUMultithumb the social button images would thumbnail instead of linking to their respective sites. Changing the order fixed that.

Thanks again for your work, appreciated.

gpowell
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gpowell » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:48 pm

I find that the background color width does not take into consideration that I have added a border to the picture.

It would be nice if it computed the border width with the picture width.

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:15 pm

@all:
Sorry for not answering your last posts. Right now I'm just busy doing other things. But be sure, I will take all your comments into consideration when continuing the development.

gosneycyn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gosneycyn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:59 pm

Hello.
I have !JoomlaComment added to my website but for some reason, when i click on "write comment" the page layout goes wacky and all formatting icons as well as all emoticons are listed one on top of each other in a very long column instead of side to side. you can view this layout issue by going to http://www.aSingleParentsLife.com and clicking on "write comment".

I've contacted the folks at !JoomlaComment and thier respons was:
The problem was the plugin called "EasyImageCaption" Cyn, it's the one that puts text under your pictures. Turning it off fixed JoomlaComment. (But i've turned it back to normal before I logged out).

I don't know how we would fix this, you'll have to contact the plugin creator at the thread here http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=473&t=424168 and show them your site

Please help. Do you have any idea how to correct this? thank you so very much!

gosneycyn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: EasyImageCaption plugin: Bugs and features - Part 2

Post by gosneycyn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:07 pm

Oops, I missed this part of the !JoomlaComment forum response. I've included the link to the forum page where i received their assistance.

EDIT: You can also point to this thread if you like, incase the author wants to talk with us.

http://compojoom.com/forum/6-bug-report/6415-layout-bug

Please let me know if you are able to help. Thank you very much!

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi gosneycyn,

unfortunately there seems to be no "smart" solution for this problem right now.

JoomlaComment generates a large <div id='comment'></div> container with all its other code inside. EasyImageCaption should ignore all the images inside this container, but I haven't added the possibility to define element ids that disable the captions yet - it only works with classes.

For now you should try this workaround (assuming you are using JoomlaComment 4.0 beta2):
Open the file "components/com_comment/joscomment/comment.class.php" and change line 827 from

Code: Select all

$html .= "<div id='comment'>";
to

$html .= "<div id='comment' class='no_eic'>";
This change will get lost when updating the component of course. But until then I will hopefully have written EasyImageCaption v0.4...

oldbrit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: EasyImageCaption - Which gallery, thumbnailer to use?

Post by oldbrit » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:38 pm

I need a good working combination of image captioning, thumbnailing, and a basic image gallery to use in Joomla 1.5 content articles.

Which thumbnailer and image gallery have you used with EasyImageCaption in content articles? If I can have the full set of requirements listed below, that would be great, but the most important thing is which captioning, thumbnailing, and gallery plug-ins work together and don't break things!

If you know combinations that don't work well together, I'd like to be warned about that, as well.

I am lucky in that I am starting from scratch on a Joomla 1.5 website, so I can use whatever works well.

Here's my fantasy (I hope you can fulfill it for me!):

If there's a solution that doesn't need EasyImageCaption, I'd like to know about it, but I haven't found one!

I need the ability to insert a few images individually into an article, have them automatically thumbnailed and linked to the original image, and create the caption for the thumbnail and for the full size image from the image title, alt, or description.

I'd like to be able to size the thumbnails individually.

In addition to handling a few images, the gallery should be able to handle a gallery at the bottom of the article with up to 50 images laid out in a grid. (I think the issue is having pictures formatted for text wrapped and a grid of images in the same article without messing things up. In the grid, the thumbnails don't have to display the captions, but the full size images do need to display the captions.

Nice, but NOT required: Specify a folder of images, and they would automatically be laid out on a grid in the article, thumbnailed, and captioned as above. If I have to insert the images into the gallery individually, that's not a huge problem since I have to setup the captions anyway.

The main thing is that this work reliably without breaking a bunch of other stuff. I don't need a bunch of fancy layouts or extensive CSS, just basic, clean layouts.

One other nice (but NOT required) feature: When you click on a thumbnail, the full size image comes up in a shadow box with caption and buttons for previous image, next image, and to close the shadow box.

Thanks!

Liz

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:49 am

Hi oldbrit,

please have a look at this page: http://www.cdu-sinnersdorf.de/index.php ... ut-besucht
I think it uses all the features you mentioned. I am using three plugins there: EasyImageCaption und mavik Thumbnails work very well together. There may be better solutions for the gallery, but I haven't tried them all.

If you are looking for a solution that doesn't need EasyImageCaption... well, then this is not the right thread to ask, don't you think...? 8)

undulce
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by undulce » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:53 am

Macview is right ... EIC doesnt work with JUMultithumb 2.3 , and unfortunatly I cannot seem to find 2.2 version :((

It is the perfect combination for my needs if it would work.
Or at least if I would find JUMultithumb 2.2 somewhere.
macview .... you still have it ? :D

enviado
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by enviado » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi LearningByDoing!

Very very good plugin!!! It saved me :D

I'd like to ask you if it's possible to hide the caption of a new in the front page but show it just when you are IN the new...

any suggestion????

Thank u!!!!

Herb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Herb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi. Great plugin!

I am just having a problem with the text background.
For some reason it does not go to the end of the image and instead runs up the left side of the image?

The plugin also throws off my Tweet this plugin and makes the social bookmarking icons go vertical instead of horizontal?

crashtackle
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by crashtackle » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:12 am

Hi, Seems to be an issue with Simple Image Gallery Pro...

Seems to duplicate the thumbnails being generated by SIG pro... if I deactivate easyimagecaption it works fine...

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:53 am

@crashtackle: I do not have purchased Simple Image Gallery Pro, so I cannot test it. But I think SIGpro has its own caption system included, just like the free version does (if I remember correctly). If you add the classes "sig-link,sig-block,sig-image" to the "Ignore classes" parameter of EasyImageCaption, the images in the gallery will not be affected by the plugin.

(Questions by enviado and Herb have been answered by e-mail. I will check if enviado's idea can be realised in the future.)

webfooted
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by webfooted » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:07 pm

Hi, this plugin looks like it's exactly what I need. However, I'm having a problem with implementing it.

If I add two images side-by-side a duplicate of the first image also displays (without caption). You can see it happening here: http://wfclients.co.uk/joomla/. I've added the first two (clock and article) to the article and a duplicate of the clock is showing.

This is on a completely fresh installation of Joomla with no other plugins installed. I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Cheers, Emily

LearningByDoing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LearningByDoing » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:34 am

Hi Emily,

this is a known but yet unsolved problem. I am sorry.

If you want to put several pictures in a row, you may possibly use some kind of gallery plugin.

webfooted
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by webfooted » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:46 am

Thanks for your response. That's a shame because it would have been perfect otherwise. I'm sure I'll be using for other sites (one image at a time) now that I know it exists.
Thanks again, Emily

Makis77
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Makis77 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:28 pm

This is a great plugin, no wander it became so popular for Joomla users.
I m using it also but i m trying to find a way to have caption over picture and not below, how can i do this?

Thank you in advance.

SjoerdSmeets
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by SjoerdSmeets » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Hello, thank you for this nice plugin.

I have a small problem with the alignment of images. I want them to align center, but only images without caption do that. Images with caption are aligned left. Any ideas why?

Link to an article: http://www.meersonline.nl/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=29

floriansilberhochzeit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by floriansilberhochzeit » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:09 pm

Hello!

I also say thank you for this superb plugin! But... ;) just a small request:

How can I turn one word within the caption into a hyperlink? For example, if the caption is "Photo by royalty-free-pics", the word "royalty-free-pics" should link to some URL. I have put this in the title tag:

Photo by <a href="http://example.com">royalty-free-pics</a>
But instead of displaying a hyperlink within the caption, you can read the above line underneath the photo.

How can I solve this?

Thanks for your hints!

shahram1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shahram1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:07 pm

I installed this plug in but there is one major problem which I experienced. It destroyed my comment box and added caption to all smiles and security code, because I guess reads them as photos.

Is there any way around this?

dcg
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dcg » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Is there any way to stop the plugin from captioning DOClink icons? Or perhaps have it not caption images smaller than a certain defined size?

superligasrbije
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by superligasrbije » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:25 am

Hi,

I have also installed this plugin and it seems to be great but I have a problem with it.

When I caption an image, the content of the article gets under the image and the caption - instead to stay right to the image.

I defined an image class to put the text right to the image and it works normally.

But when I enable the EIC plugin the text gets under the image (and after the caption)..

Does anybody has the same problem?
How can I solve it?

Thanks.

PS Sorry for my bad English and I hope you understand what my problem is.

bughiughi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Captions on front page - odd thing happening

Post by bughiughi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi and thanks for this great plugin, really saved my ass.
I have a problem though: on my test site the caption doesn't apper on the frontpage, only in article view, and i like it this way. On my live site the captions appear even on the frontpage and i don't know what to do. The settings for the plugin and frontpage are the same in both cases...

Thanks!

shahram1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shahram1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:53 pm

I don't know why this topic was created when there is not a single respond from the developer

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”