How To Remove Phoca Gallery 2.6.0 Powered By Text

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
kurchania
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: How To Remove Phoca Gallery 2.6.0 Powered By Text

Post by kurchania » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:34 am

hi jan,
for me i strongly feel you have done a lot for this community. i learn a lot of mvc architecture from your component.
for those guys who feel Remove Phoca Gallery 2.6.0 Powered By Text make very big sense its really not the case.anyone who develop component work really so hard for that component.requesting a developer to remove the text script is just a kind of donation to that developer to sustain the project for lifetime.
but that is my view.
If you are trying to become rich as an extension developer than i suggest that you put your extension up as commercial and make your money the official way
for those guys who comment like this i strongly feel why don't you create better component than phoca gallery and contribute here?

Edited:its always easy to comment easy to use but tough to contribute or develop in some project.

Regards
Abhijeet
abhijeet kurchania
The future depends on what you do today

PierreB
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by PierreB » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Jan, nice to see you commenting on this thread. Since I've made great use of your GuestBook and Gallery components, I was actually bothered by the subject of the thread and the comments made here.

It's seems that the monopoly of commercial software applications and firms in various fields has left a scar on the users' mindset. People continue to think too much in a "crack it", "by-pass it" kind of way...

To my mind, there's recognizing hard work and giving credit (morally, economically even) and there's restrictive patents and limits and economic exploitation and unequal distribution of resources and gains.
Communism is when a large webdesign firm contacted me and threatened me that unless I change the name of the component according to their wishes, then they devalue my name on the forum and attack my site ... this is a real communism - someone is working and the other is trying to collect jobless benefits from the work of others.
That sounds more like capitalism to me, though...take it from somebody who was raised in a capitalist country (and historically under the weight of foreign powers, where both social and "national" freedom has been undermined).

iKaspars
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by iKaspars » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Or you can just simply use jquery
for firefox

Code: Select all

$("div[style*=rgb(211, 211, 211)]").hide();
and for other browsers

$("div[style*=d3d3d3]").hide();

hobosalesman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hobosalesman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:46 am

I registered just to write a reply. I just had 20 minutes of my time wasted by Jan and I thought I'd write my opinion on what he's done.

Making your software intentionally more difficult to use through redundant nag links for the purpose of generating "donations" is contrary to the spirit of the GPL, that's obvious if you've ever actually read it. Either write free software or don't, but I don't expect to use something represented by the author as free only to be nagged into a payment. It's called extortion, what you're saying is:

GIVE ME MONEY OR I'LL WASTE YOUR TIME

I like this software, it's well written, I use it now and will use it in the future, I will never donate to this project or provide support for it in any way. Here's some traces and hints on how I found the various nag links in phoca gallery2.7.6:

renderfront.php:

function getString() {
return "";
/*
return '<'.'d'.'i'.'v'.' '.'s'.'t'.'y'.'l'.'e'.'='.'"'.'t'.'e'.'x'.'t'.'-'.'a'.'l'.'i'.'g'.'n'.':'.' '.'c'.'e'.'n'.'t'.'e'.'r'.';'.' '.'c'.'o'.'l'.'o'.'r'.':'.' '.'r'.'g'.'b'.'('.'2'.'1'.'1'.','.' '.'2'.'1'.'1'.','.' '.'2'.'1'.'1'.')'.';'.'"'.'>'.'P'.'o'.'w'.'e'.'r'.'e'.'d'.' '.'b'.'y'.' '.'<'.'a'.' '.'h'.'r'.'e'.'f'.'='.'"'.'h'.'t'.'t'.'p'.':'.'/'.'/'.'w'.'w'.'w'.'.'.'p'.'h'.'o'.'c'.'a'.'.'.'c'.'z'.'"'.' '.'s'.'t'.'y'.'l'.'e'.'='.'"'.'t'.'e'.'x'.'t'.'-'.'d'.'e'.'c'.'o'.'r'.'a'.'t'.'i'.'o'.'n'.':'.' '.'n'.'o'.'n'.'e'.';'.'"'.' '.'t'.'a'.'r'.'g'.'e'.'t'.'='.'"'.'_'.'b'.'l'.'a'.'n'.'k'.'"'.' '.'t'.'i'.'t'.'l'.'e'.'='.'"'.'P'.'h'.'o'.'c'.'a'.'.'.'c'.'z'.'"'.'>'.'P'.'h'.'o'.'c'.'a'.'<'.'/'.'a'.'>'.' '.'<'.'a'.' '.'h'.'r'.'e'.'f'.'='.'"'.'h'.'t'.'t'.'p'.':'.'/'.'/'.'w'.'w'.'w'.'.'.'p'.'h'.'o'.'c'.'a'.'.'.'c'.'z'.'/'.'p'.'h'.'o'.'c'.'a'.'g'.'a'.'l'.'l'.'e'.'r'.'y'.'"'.' '.'s'.'t'.'y'.'l'.'e'.'='.'"'.'t'.'e'.'x'.'t'.'-'.'d'.'e'.'c'.'o'.'r'.'a'.'t'.'i'.'o'.'n'.':'.' '.'n'.'o'.'n'.'e'.';'.'"'.' '.'t'.'a'.'r'.'g'.'e'.'t'.'='.'"'.'_'.'b'.'l'.'a'.'n'.'k'.'"'.' '.'t'.'i'.'t'.'l'.'e'.'='.'"'.'P'.'h'.'o'.'c'.'a'.' '.'G'.'a'.'l'.'l'.'e'.'r'.'y'.'"'.'>'.'G'.'a'.'l'.'l'.'e'.'r'.'y'.'<'.'/'.'a'.'>'.'<'.'/'.'d'.'i'.'v'.'>'*/

renderfront.php:

function getDivs(){

return "";
/*
return '<div style="tex'

.'t-align: center; color:#d3d3'

.'d3;">Power'

.'ed by <a href="htt'

.'p://www.pho'

.'ca.cz" style="text-decor'

.'ation: none;" tar'.'get="_bl'

.'ank" title="Ph'

.'oca.cz">Phoc'

.'a</a> <a href="http://www.p'

.'hoca.cz/phocagallery" style="tex'

.'t-decoration: none;" ta'.'rget="_bla'.'nk" title="Pho'.'ca Gal'

.'lery">Gal'.'lery</a></div>';
*/

}

views/categories/view.html.php:

$tmpl['phoac'] = '';
/*
$tmpl['phoac'] = '<div style="tex'.'t-align: center; color:#d3d3'.'d3;">Power'.'ed by <a href="htt'.'p://www.pho'.'ca.cz" style="text-decor'.'ation: none;" tar'.'get="_bl'.'ank" title="Ph'.'oca.cz">Phoc'.'a</a> <a href="http://www.p'
.'hoca.cz/phocagallery" style="tex'.'t-decoration: none;" ta'.'rget="_bla'.'nk" title="Pho'.'ca Gal'.'lery">Gal'.'lery</a></div>';
*/

/front/view/categories/view.html.php
#Another one
/*
$tmpl['phoac'] = '<div style="tex'.'t-align: center; color:#d3d3'.'d3;">Power'.'ed by <a href="htt'.'p://www.pho'.'ca.cz" style="text-decor'.'ation: none;" tar'.'get="_bl'.'ank" title="Ph'.'oca.cz">Phoc'.'a</a> <a href="http://www.p'
.'hoca.cz/phocagallery" style="tex'.'t-decoration: none;" ta'.'rget="_bla'.'nk" title="Pho'.'ca Gal'.'lery">Gal'.'lery</a></div>';
*/

H13
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by H13 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi,
I just had 20 minutes of my time wasted by Jan
If you are using Phoca Gallery, you have saved 5 years of hard development.
Making your software intentionally more difficult to use through redundant nag links for the purpose of generating "donations" is contrary to the spirit of the GPL
See:
http://www.phoca.cz/support

There are so many ways to help the project, you don't need to do a donation.
GIVE ME MONEY OR I'LL WASTE YOUR TIME
I have never said or wrote something like this. Please don't lie.

I have saved many years of work for many users. If you don't want to use Phoca Gallery, just don't use it.

If you are still using it, please write the truth - I have saved you 5 years of your life, you don't need to develop such software, I didn't waste 20 minutes of your life. I don't want, you should give me your money.

For all users: If you don't want to use Phoca Gallery, just don't download it and don't use it and please:

- don't attack my server
- don't write here or on other forums untruths
- don't insult me or other developers (nobody forces you to use some software)

Phoca Gallery is free software. Implementing every new feature depends on my freetime. If somebody wants to help this project, will be great.

Making improvements, making documentation, answering posts in the forum, reporting bugs, etc. is much appreciated.

As I allways say, it is a free software and it depends on users. If they will help the project, then the project will survive. If not, then there will be no other way then to buy commercial extensions. This applies to all free extensions. VirtueMart is great example.

Thank you for understanding.

Jan
- Phoca Cart - Joomla eCommerce App - https://www.phoca.cz/phocacart
- Phoca Gallery - powerful image gallery
- Phoca Restaurant Menu - https://www.phoca.cz/phocamenu
- Phoca Download - download manager for Joomla

Siyadibanisa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Siyadibanisa » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:27 am

Hi guys,

None of the above seems to work for version 2.7.6. Any ideas?

Siyadibanisa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Siyadibanisa » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:31 am

Siyadibanisa wrote:Hi guys,

None of the above seems to work for version 2.7.6. Any ideas?
Here is the answer: http://www.techguywebsolutions.com/remo ... -text.html

Just remember to use '' (two single marks) and not " (one double mark). I forgot and messed everything up! >:(

:)

hannylicious
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hannylicious » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 pm

This thread is a little sickening.
Jan is a great guy who goes out of his way to help people using his extension - on these forums, his own forums, and everywhere else.

I have had clients ask to remove the 'powered by' link, but I prefer to just explain to them they can donate to have it removed, or leave it.

In my opinion, a little link like that is an insanely small price to pay for such an amazing extension that's withstood the test of time.

As Jan has already stated - if you don't like it? Don't use it. Go write your own (odds are you won't because you either don't know how, or won't take the time to); stop hating on someone who has done what you can't, or won't.

That said - this thread is sad.
Pushpin Designs
www.pushpindesigns.com

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Remove "Powered by Phoca Gallery" Text (v2.7.6)

Post by kenmcd » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:10 am

Sickening is the seemingly never ending stream of surrogates and sycophants supporting this sleazy extortion business model.

Sickening is creating an extension which can only exist because of a large GPL ecosystem,
and which utilizes the tremendous free advertising of the JED for marketing this extension (as free GPL),
and then use a twisted, self-serving, misinterpretation of the GPL in an attempt to justify extorting a fee.

Sickening is then having the audacity to claim the moral high-ground.

Sickening is taking advantage of the GPL ecosystem without actually embracing what it means.
Who with any integrity can say the authors of the GPL intended enabling this extortion?
That is a ridiculous assumption.

Sickening is the "poor developer has to eat" argument.
Bank robbers and other thieves also have to eat.
Do they get a "poor robber" pass too?

The solution is simple:
- change to an ethical and honest commercial GPL business model
- learn how to market your product honestly and ethically
- stop trying to justify the extortion business model based on completely bogus assumptions
- stop sending in the surrogates, sycophants, and other whiners to support this nonsense

Remove "Powered by Phoca Gallery" Text (v2.7.6)
http://www.techguywebsolutions.com/remo ... -text.html

The only issue with that page is it refers to "how to remove the copyright" in v2.7.6.
This is not removing the copyright.
The copyright remains in the code where the GPL requires it.
The instructions are for removing a visable nag text which exists only in order to demand a fee.

██ LibreTraining

hannylicious
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Remove "Powered by Phoca Gallery" Text (v2.7.6)

Post by hannylicious » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:10 pm

kenmcd wrote:.

The instructions are for removing a visable nag text which exists only in order to demand a fee.

This is the part of your post that completely and entirely erased any sort of valid point you may have been trying to angle for.

In no way, shape, or form has Jan ever (read as - EVER) demanded a fee. It's never happened (that I am aware of).
To say that it (the tag) exists to 'demand' a fee means you've either never read any of his posts, can't read the tag that is put on his work, or have no understanding of what 'demand a fee' actually means.

It's clear from that statement you've never been to his site (beyond downloading his wonderful extensions), and you've never been part of his community there. He even says in his previous posts that as long as you're involved in the phocagallery community, he has no problem giving you the ability to remove the copyright - NO MONEY INVOLVED.

So to say he 'demands a fee' really shows your ignorance on the subject involving this particular extension, the author, and the visible tag he has which does nothing but give props where props are due (in no way does it 'demand money').

If you need to validate your hacks with rhetoric & propaganda, be my guest. But don't try and pass that poor logic off as some sort of 'fact', or pretend that it should make sense to anyone with more than 1/2 a brain. Making vague comparisons in areas that are completely different (both ethically & socially) do nothing to bolster your point, but rather makes it appear just full of fluff (for lack of a better word).
Pushpin Designs
www.pushpindesigns.com

hobosalesman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Redundant obfuscated nag screens in free software

Post by hobosalesman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:41 pm

Here's truth: You intentionally placed the nag in multiple places and then obfuscated it in multiple ways to make it difficult to search for and remove. I think you did this to encourage donations, either cash or through "community involvement" time donations or whatever. This is using coercion to support what's being represented as free software. Coercion and freedom are mutually exclusive and using coercive tactics to motivate your user base is contrary to the spirit of free software, if not the letter of the GPL specifically.

I have no problem with your coercive coding tactics to squeeze support out of your user base but don't call it free software. I think your choice of license obligates you to use a single non-obfuscated nag link. Either write code for the public good as the GPL intended or don't GPL it.

H13
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by H13 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi,
I think you did this to encourage donations
If this was written to me, then you think it wrong.

Seems like hannylicious has the fully true. Anybody who disagree with me, does not read what I have written. I know, my English is not good, but I think, my posts can be understandable. :-(

Anyway the main reason of "multiple places" is the MVC.

All my answers to "free software", "free" and "freedom" was written in my previous posts. For now it looks like the developers do not have any freedom and any rights :-( :-(

Jan

hobosalesman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hobosalesman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:22 pm

I'd like to hear the explanation of how a design pattern MVC dictates that you obfuscate your nag notices. I thought your site says if you donate (money, forum support, code, time, etc) and email you that you'll send an update that removes the notice. Nothing anyone does with your nag notices infringes your rights or freedom. I wonder what would encourage more donations, coercive notices or good will?

hannylicious
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hannylicious » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:31 pm

hobosalesman wrote:I'd like to hear the explanation of how a design pattern MVC dictates that you obfuscate your nag notices. I thought your site says if you donate (money, forum support, code, time, etc) and email you that you'll send an update that removes the notice. Nothing anyone does with your nag notices infringes your rights or freedom. I wonder what would encourage more donations, coercive notices or good will?
If the tags said "donate to Phoca Gallery" they could be called 'coercive'.
They don't say they that - they say "powered by" - in no way is that coercive to anyone. Not in any way, shape, or form. The same way a car maker puts their mark on a car they designed. Does it change the car? Nope. Does it change anyones opinion of said vehicle? Nope.

How about all the freeware that exists where the programmers and designers put 'thanks to: their_name_here' in title screens and at the bottom??? How about all those designers who put "designed by: their_name_here" on their websites they make with Joomla?
According to you guys, they're all in the wrong too. If they have a 'paid version' and a 'free version', clearly the free version that has 'thanks to' or 'designed by' on them are coercive and demanding money, right? According to the logic you guys have port forth, that is how it is. Are you starting to see how ridiculous the lies and twisted logic sound when applied to other comparable scenarios?

Once again you folks are searching for things - by saying things that just aren't true. His tags are NOT coercive, nor do they demand or even ask for money. Nothing of the sort.

I'm hoping some day someone will open a dictionary before they continue to post up these blatantly wrong comments that are nothing but rhetoric and lies.

But I suppose everyone has to justify their unethical decisions somehow... hell even Hitler thought he was doing the right thing.
Pushpin Designs
www.pushpindesigns.com

H13
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by H13 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi kurchania,

please read at least the post above, then you cannot write such things like:
go to his site pay donation and ask for script
why don't you use ioncube for such thing and encrypt your code and once someone pay you give this code
Really no idea If I should build a robot which will repeat still the same, so some people understand. Why you are still talking about paying. Nobody wants you should pay something. Please read posts above before answering. :-( :-(

BTW: Or maybe is this some kind of discrediting, writing still the same untruths here. :-(

Thank you for understanding and that you will read what I have written in future.

Jan
  • Nobody wants you will pay for something
    Nobody wants to encrypt the code (e.g. with ioncube). I by myself support people who are customizing Phoca Gallery and I like it if I see great looking customized Phoca Gallery. If you will search Phoca Forum, you will discover it
    Phoca Extensions are developed in MVC to easily customize them in templates, so it does not make any sense to encrypt the code
  • If someone is discrediting Phoca extensions because some of them (cca 9%) include "powered by" than the same way he/she is discrediting Joomla! (look at the bottom of your site after installing Joomla! itself) :-( :-( :-(

kurchania
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by kurchania » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:53 pm

hi jan,
just read this.
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 1#p2342461
i always support you and will support you in future.
Thank you for understanding and that you will read what I have written in future.
apology if you feel something like this.
@hannylicious
those people who want to support jan can support him.
other people can download the same file from here.
just read the whole line.
If you need to do custom changes in some Phoca project or you need to remove the footer information, you get more information about these changes here: info[at]phoca[dot]cz .
If you are active in answering posts in the Phoca forum or you are active with continuously translating Phoca Extensions or you are active developer of extensions which are working with Phoca extensions or you are member of some core Joomla! team or you are regularly writing user guides about how to use Phoca extensions or you have donated to Phoca, just send email to info[at]phoca[dot]cz to get file which adds new parameter to your Phoca extension. With help of this parameter you can hide the footer information easily in Parameters - Component. Any help to any Phoca project means a project survival and obtaining new features. (E.g. answering questions in the forum will save time of developer which can be spend then to make new features). Thank you for any support.
if you will do it without any donation it will be great to know.but still people have different thought on it.
BTW: Or maybe is this some kind of discrediting, writing still the same untruths here. :-(
apology again.
i will unsubscribe this topic and edit my previous post.
Regards
Abhijeet
abhijeet kurchania

H13
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by H13 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi kurchania,

sorry, sometimes it is really hard to orientate myself in the topics. :-(
if you will do it without any donation it will be great to know.but still people have different thought on it.
Yes, but I really don't want to prohibit this kind of support, It depends on people which method they will select (The more options the better for the users). And if someone selects this method, for me, it is a sign, that such user supports the project. If it is a donation or writing documentation or helping to answer posts in forum, or ..., it is still support which I appreciate.

All this can make my freetime more free so I can spend it for depeloping new features, to solve difficult problems which are not solved by community, etc. (e.g. to release all of the 90% of my extensions which do not include "powered by")

Jan

kurchania
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by kurchania » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:43 pm

hi jan,
you know i am very big fan of you.i learn basics of mvc from phoca gallery.
If it is a donation or writing documentation or helping to answer posts in forum
i will try to support you jan by helping to answer posts in forum.i customize phoca gallery and phoca map.
sorry, sometimes it is really hard to orientate myself in the topics. :-(
no worries.if i am at your place i will also feel the same way.
(e.g. to release all of the 90% of my extensions which do not include "powered by")
but still people will give there suggestion jan.you cannot convince anyone here.

Regards
Abhijeet
abhijeet kurchania

hobosalesman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hobosalesman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:06 pm

THe issue, quoted from your website above, is that you require action from your user base to provide your help in removing the nags. When you consider that you go the extra step (obfuscation) to make it extra difficult to remove the nags, that's called coercion according to a dictionary. Whether you want money or forum support or time or code or whatever, the point is it's the basis for taking away the freedom to use free software, and you're going the extra step to prevent your user base from using the supposedly free software as they like. There's no such thing as mostly free.

And why bother with ioncube when in order to distribute your encrypted GPL software you're REQUIRED TO DISTRIBUTE THE UNENCRYPTED SOURCE CODE WITH IT?

hannylicious
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hannylicious » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:36 pm

hobosalesman wrote:THe issue, quoted from your website above, is that you require action from your user base to provide your help in removing the nags. When you consider that you go the extra step (obfuscation) to make it extra difficult to remove the nags, that's called coercion according to a dictionary.
The tags do nothing to harm anyone - they simply say who powered the software, the exact same way Internet Explorer has it's name on the software, or Firefox (a free bit of software) has their name on their program. According to you - firefox is BAD, and deserves to be endlessly hacked because they're not "REALLY" free - they're coercing donations by putting their name on their stuff! (are you seeing yet how stupid that sounds?) In no way shape or form does Jans tag coerce anyone. It's simply a label, sorry to bust your bubble. Just because people want the world to think they wrote the code for their entire site, and are having a tough time doing that - why is that Jan's problem? It's not coercion, because he's not asking for anything to use his software, nor is he using the tags to force people to behave in an involuntary manner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coercion). They are simply a 'who made this' kind of tag. Not 'demanding money' or 'requiring a fee' as you guys have tried to mislabel it before.
Whether you want money or forum support or time or code or whatever, the point is it's the basis for taking away the freedom to use free software,
Wrong again - he's not taking anyones freedom away - at all. Users are ALL free to use his software as they see fit, or to use some other software - the freedom is completely in the peoples hands throughout the entire process - further evidence that there is NO use of coercion. There are other options and because the people refuse to take those and hack them to their hearts content, why is Jan blamed? He's blamed because people are too lazy? That's dumb.

And also the software is still free - it costs you nothing to download, use and enjoy. Again, because other people want the credit for something someone else did? That's their problem - nothing to hold against Jan - so quit trying to pit it against him.
and you're going the extra step to prevent your user base from using the supposedly free software as they like. There's no such thing as mostly free.
First off 'supposedly free'? It is free. What's hard to understand about that? Did ANYONE pay to download it? No? Then it's free. Not 'supposedly free'.

I believe I covered this in my last reply - but in case I didn't put it clear enough: There's nothing preventing the user base form using his software as they like. Quite literally NOTHING. They get full use of every feature and perk that this software has to offer if they do not donate, and the same is said if they do donate. The software is 100% identical. And before you say "well if you donate there's no tag", that's not true at all. The software is still IDENTICAL. Jan simply gives you a bit to put in that removes the powered by tag from being seen, which you do not even have to do if you don't want to (i.e. you could donate and still leave his tag on there)... so it's not like just because you donate the tags magically gone. So if you were going to say that the software if you donate is different than the software if you don't donate - you're wrong. Therefore, there is 100% no 'user base' that is being prevented from doing anything with any of this software. None at all - so everything you've written thus far is completely irrelevant and incorrect.

I sincerely hope you guys can either see the reality of the situation or stop saying things that are blatantly (if not ignorantly) untrue. The lengths you guys are going to in order to justify your sorry activity is pretty surprising - especially in such a typically good spirited community.
Pushpin Designs
www.pushpindesigns.com

hobosalesman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hobosalesman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:37 pm

- he's using the nags to force people to behave in an involuntary manner, ie if you want to remove them then you need to do X, very common with joomla extensions. GIve us your email to download, pay us, donate your time, etc, it's all coercive and it doesn't happen in communities that believe in the principles of free software, ie. go look on CPAN for modules with obfuscated nag notices, encryption, etc, it's not there, just free software written for users

- it's not about taking credit for his work, I don't want 50 nag notices all over every site I build, I generally put them all on a credits page instead, but the reality of Joomla means the number of notices is absurd

- do you even know the difference between different meanings of 'free'? I'm not talking about cost or money

- the software is not identical, one has nags, one doesn't, different.

- what sorry activity am I justifying? My right to edit GPL software as I see fit? I'm not DOS/hacking his site, I'd suggest if he weren't so manipulative with his nags maybe others wouldn't either

- he has teh legal right to use his nag notices however he wants, anyone has the right to strip those notices and distribute the nag-free version

hannylicious
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hannylicious » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:36 pm

hobosalesman wrote:- he's using the nags to force people to behave in an involuntary manner, ie if you want to remove them then you need to do X, very common with joomla extensions. GIve us your email to download, pay us, donate your time, etc, it's all coercive and it doesn't happen in communities that believe in the principles of free software, ie. go look on CPAN for modules with obfuscated nag notices, encryption, etc, it's not there, just free software written for users
Wrong. I gave you the definition of coercive and you still don't understand. The tags simply state what is powering the component, it's not causing anyone to behave involuntarily because there's no side effect from the tag (go read it again!). If the tag bothers you: there are plenty of other components to use so go use one of them! He's not infringing on anything here as you said he was before. Keep trying, but you're really grasping at straws.
- it's not about taking credit for his work, I don't want 50 nag notices all over every site I build, I generally put them all on a credits page instead, but the reality of Joomla means the number of notices is absurd
Okay - so use another component. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. He's said it, I've said it - it seems like common sense. Also, 50 tag notices? I don't know how you're using the software if you see 50 tags on your pages, but I think you're doing it wrong. I'd be interested to see this 'credits' page you talk about... It's not often I see one of those if ever. You don't like the tag that says he built it; everyone gets that. But no one is forcing you to use this software - if you don't like it you're free to choose something else. You should probably write Firefox, and the makers of other great quality free software too to see if they'll remove their tags since it's clearly coercive!! How dare they!
- do you even know the difference between different meanings of 'free'? I'm not talking about cost or money
It is free, in every form. You have to do nothing but download it and install - what other meaning could it have in this case? You're not making any sense.
- the software is not identical, one has nags, one doesn't, different.
Wrong, again. The software is identical - all the code for the tags is in place in a version that does not display the tags, as the version that does display the tags. All the CODE is still there - therefore, the 'versions' are IDENTICAL. Do you not understand how this stuff works? If not, that's okay, and it makes me understand a bit more why you would come on here saying a bunch of the stuff you've done thus far. There is a spot in the configuration where you can input a bit of code that removes the tags from view, and when you do that the tags are gone. Meaning, you have the exact, same, identical version of the software in either case. One of them simply isn't displaying some additional text to the page. The same is if you turn certain options on, and others off in a component. All of the options are still present in the component, if you looked at two installs of whatever component but each had different options turned on and off, the code is still identical - they are still identical versions of the same component. Do you get it yet? If not, I am afraid I can't be much more clear.
- what sorry activity am I justifying? My right to edit GPL software as I see fit? I'm not DOS/hacking his site, I'd suggest if he weren't so manipulative with his nags maybe others wouldn't either
Heaven forbid you talk to him to see about removing them. From the sounds of it - in many cases you don't have to do anything to get the tags removed. Sure he'd probably like to see some forum posts or something, but he seems like a realistic fella who would gladly provide you with how to remove the tags at no cost to you. But you'd never know that would you, because you're too lazy to do that. Instead you'd rather try and hack up something as opposed to doing it the legit *and free* way. Congrats on working harder, not smarter.
- he has teh legal right to use his nag notices however he wants, anyone has the right to strip those notices and distribute the nag-free version
Or people could just talk to the creator of it and without hacking the code have the ability to remove the tags (since the 'versions' are identical as proved above).

Regardless the length you guys go to in order to justify this stuff is really sad.
Pushpin Designs
www.pushpindesigns.com

hobosalesman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hobosalesman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:44 am

Bored now, nice chatting with you

Bladiks
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Bladiks » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:07 pm

For version 3.0.
administrator \ components \ com_phocagallery \ librarie s \ phocagallery \ utils \ utils.php
92 string change -

echo '<div style="text-align: center; color: rgb(211, 211, 211);"> Powe'
. 'red by <a href = "http://www.ph'
. 'oca.cz "style =" text-decoration: none; "target =" _blank "title =" Phoc'
. 'a.cz "> Phoca </ a> <a href =" http://www.phoca.cz/phocaga'
. 'llery "style =" text-decoration: none; "target =" _blank "title =" Phoca Gal'
. 'lery "> Gall'
. 'ery </ a> </ div>';
to this -

echo'';
And rejoice)

joomrocky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joomrocky » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:52 pm

FDev, free is free.

If you want to remove the copyright in version 2.7.6 which is the most recent version.

You can easily remove it by going to this file location:
components/com_phocagallery/views/categories/view.html.php

In view.html.php go to line 261.

Just replace this string:
$tmpl['phoac'] = 'Power'.'ed by Phoc'.'a Gal'.'lery';

With this string:
$tmpl['phoac'] = '';

nicmehr
I've been banned!

Post by nicmehr » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:25 am

Bladiks wrote:For version 3.0.
administrator \ components \ com_phocagallery \ librarie s \ phocagallery \ utils \ utils.php
92 string change -

. 'llery "style =" text-decoration: none; "target =" _blank "title =" Phoca Gal'
. 'lery "> Gall'
. 'ery </ a> </ div>';
to this -

echo'';
And rejoice)
its good
but it is not completely cleard.

ep98
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ep98 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:57 pm

As what I'm reading from here, no one pay attention that most of the extensions still free and those extensions make your clients happy, so where the f#$# is the problem to pay a small fee for removing the Powered by links in Phoca Gallery, jDownloads or Kunena.

Till when Joomla.org will maintain such threads ?

My patience is nearly to it's end, what about if I change Opensourcethatmatters in the footer link to "biggest blind idiots on the planet" and release the useless 1.6 core as Foomla or Dumbla (Dumbs or Blind or Blind dumb idiots 1.6.1 ?)

Why I should keep any back links to Joomla.org since joomla.org support they're removal ?

Also till this passive-aggressive stance continues I'll do something to change it.

1st there are some "preferred" developers here, such as Azrul and JomSocial.
From today this application and all others released as Paid via GPL (Long live piracy, that stupid license and blind idiots here) will be available for free from direct web server, not shared hosts such as Megaupload.com, bcz u (joomla.org) and the stupidest GPL license give me that right.

2nd not only Azrul.com will be affected by this actions, all paid extensions released under GPL will be available from several servers on direct downloads, untouched and unmodified source code, bcz ..... I can't hear u - GPL allows me to do that.

3rd Joomla will be repacked as something_stupid-1.6.1 with removed links Powered by and released without touching the other part of the code and leaving credits to the authors, bcz ..... GPL allows me to do that

And this will continue no matter how long, till u change your attitude to the hard work of all those thousands PHP developers which made the F#$d up already (core 1.6) so popular, if all this extensions didn't exist, where should this CMS will be ?

Start think and work fast, banning (from this forums) will not stop me in any way to do the above :)
May The Source Be With You !

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:36 pm

I just had 20 minutes of my time wasted by Jan
H13 wrote: If you are using Phoca Gallery, you have saved 5 years of hard development.
H13 wrote:
Yes, but I really don't want to prohibit this kind of support, It depends on people which method they will select (The more options the better for the users). And if someone selects this method, for me, it is a sign, that such user supports the project. If it is a donation or writing documentation or helping to answer posts in forum, or ..., it is still support which I appreciate.
Appreciate your attitude, Jan.

This is certainly well within the rights of the GPL and Jan is sharing some very cool code with the community. There is no reason to ask for more than the GPL requires, it's very generous.

I also appreciate Jan's attitude that he supports users helping one another in this manner and sees it as supporting the Phoca Gallery project.

All good stuff. Folks should relax and enjoy.

H_Hadavi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by H_Hadavi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:01 am

nicmehr wrote:
Bladiks wrote:For version 3.0.
92 string change -

. 'lery "> Gall'
. 'ery </ a> </ div>';
to this -

echo'';
And rejoice)
its good
but it is not completely cleard.
which part is now completely cleared?? i dont see them being showed!

MCHammerdad
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MCHammerdad » Mon May 16, 2011 9:02 pm

^ It looked completely cleared to me.

Now does anyone know how to remove the "powered by" txt on Phoca Download v 3.0.0?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”