Facebook share button Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
4red3s
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Facebook share button Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine

Post by 4red3s » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:21 pm

[quote="JTS-post Problem Description"]When using Facebook \"share\" buttons, the text description that goes with the share, \"Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system\" this text appears with all \"share\" modules or plugins, etc.[/quote]
JTS-post Diagnostic Information wrote:Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.20 Stable [ senu takaa ] 18-July-2010 18:00 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 444 ) | Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.28.5-grsec-sg2 ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.31 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 PHP-CGI/0.5 | PHP Version: 5.2.9
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5 or above): Yes | iconv Support (1.5 or above): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 45 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.91mm-log ( Localhost via UNIX socket )
Joomla 1.5.20, Site Ground Hosting

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Facebook share button Joomla! - the dynamic portal engin

Post by dhuelsmann » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:57 pm

How about providing a specific extension example and exactly where you see the phrase you quoted?
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

sajan_r_shakya
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by sajan_r_shakya » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:09 pm

It seems that the problem is related with the file and folder permission. Please refer the article http://docs.joomla.org/How_to_solve_Ins ... on_Manager. It may help you to solve the problem
Regards,
Sajan

4red3s
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 4red3s » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:42 pm

Not sure why the text "Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system" was displayed when sharing content on Facebook. I made it go away by using myApi instead of the other share extensions. The configuration of myApi is very extensive with lots of choices but easy to figure out.

- now the text displayed in my content share is the information that I put in my metadata box on the edit content page.

I hope this helps someone too.

P.S. To answer some of the posts made while I was typing this:
The problem arose when I had enabled several share on Facebook extensions. When I clicked on the share button, a window opens with the Facebook share information. I can add a comment or not and can select the image I want or none. There is text that is displayed under the link and to the right of the image - this is the text that had the "Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system" which is true but didn't go with the item I wanted to share on Facebook.

Thanks to all here! :)
Joomla 1.5.20, Site Ground Hosting

imgjohn
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by imgjohn » Tue May 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Anything on this? I am getting this as well.

sourcecoast
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sourcecoast » Wed May 11, 2011 3:16 am

imgJohn,
You need to specify the proper Open Graph tags to describe your page to Facebook, otherwise, FB will simply 'guess' at what your page is about. There are multiple extensions that can help you with this, including ours, JFBConnect. With JFBConnect, at least, you can specify a default title, description and image to use across your site, but also override it on individual pages with a specific tag like {JFBCGraph title=New Title} or {JFBCGraph description=Better description than the default}

For more information about JFBConnect, which does a lot more than just Open Graph tags, see our JED listing:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ation/7215

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Alex Andreae | SourceCoast Web Development
Developers of JFBConnect - The easy Facebook integration suite that's used on the JED!
https://www.sourcecoast.com/ | https://www.sourcecoast.com/joomla-facebook/

TuLe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TuLe » Tue May 31, 2011 8:50 am

Have to pitch in here, as I have a problem that is leaving me dumbfounded to say the least.

I am using the XFBML version of the like button, and currently it's working almost great. The thing is, on single article pages it doesn't pick up any description I give it at all. It picks up only the default one mentioned here, i.e. "Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system", even though that description can't be found anywhere anymore?!

I've even added the open graph description text, and nothing. The weird thing is of course that on e.g. Sobi2 component views, and even a category views the description is picked up fine and pasted into the feed of Facebook properly.

Cheers for any ideas, I'm out of ideas for now.

TuLe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TuLe » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:33 am

Seems like it was simply a Facebook cache thing. The Facebook URL Linter showed right info, but still the like description was incorrect... the tool for testing being this: http://developers.facebook.com/tools/lint/

Better always try that first before going insane.

thomaswelton
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by thomaswelton » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:16 am

Since the time the original post was made myApi has been updated with new open graph plugins, and TuLe makes a good point Facebook cache the data they find, so if you had likes on a page before you added the open graph tags they changes may not be reflected instantly on Facebook when liking the page again. But using the URL linter will solve this during testing.

And many thanks to 4red3s for the compliments, have you left an official review on my JED listing?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”