Question About Extension Registration Process

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
magshare
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Question About Extension Registration Process

Post by magshare » Thu May 05, 2011 12:12 pm

Folks,

I'm waiting on a component to be approved.

Kind of a long process, but not that big a deal.

However, if I need to go through this for every single point release, then it is a big deal.

I'm used to the WP process, where the directory points to a live project, under the control of the developer.

That does not seem to be the case here. It's hard for me to tell, as the process is so opaque.

Question: Do I have to go through this approval process for every single point release?

I sometimes need to get releases out there toot sweet, to address critical bugs, and I don't want multiple versions floating around, while a buggy version is sitting in the main repository.

If this is the case, then it's just not worth it for me to maintain releases here. My plugin is not ever gonna make the download-o-meter even twitch. It's extremely vertical-market, with a vanishingly small target audience.

It may just be a better idea to do what I've been doing for the last year and a half or so, and maintain a SF project. I just figgered I'd give this a try, but I'm getting nervous.

madchris
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Question About Extension Registration Process

Post by madchris » Sun May 08, 2011 12:22 am

Are you referring to becoming listed at the Joomla Extensions Directory (JED) at http://extensions.joomla.org? It can take quite some time (several weeks or even longer) for new JED listings to be approved. I cannot speak for the JED team, but as I understand it, once your JED listing is approved, you can edit the listing whenever you have new versions to release without requiring a new round of approval. The file(s) for your extension are not actually downloaded by end users from the JED itself, but are linked to from the JED using the download page you specify. I'm guessing the main reason for uploading the extension file when creating the new listing is to make it easier for the JED team to review the extension.
http://www.madblanks.com - Quiz, survey, assessment, custom calculator, general purpose form extension

magshare
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Question About Extension Registration Process

Post by magshare » Sun May 08, 2011 1:36 am

Oh, it's OK.

Since I asked, the project was approved, and all my questions were answered.

I appreciate the speedy approval (I'm giving up on Drupal, and set up on GitHub).

Thanks!

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”