sigplus/image gallery extensions total # images limitation

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
thorndog
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

sigplus/image gallery extensions total # images limitation

Post by thorndog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:57 am

Hello, I'm using sigplus and have found that if I have more than 153 images in my folder being sourced that the site just shows blank, does anyone have any similar experiences? Each image is between 15kb and 45kb max

I've also noticed that this is occurring when I use other gallery extensions.

The version of sigplus is the plugin and is latest version as at 02/02/2012.

Any help appreciated

hunyadi
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: sigplus/image gallery extensions total # images limitati

Post by hunyadi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:38 pm

When sigplus is displaying a gallery for the first time, it has to generate preview images and thumbnails. This is a resource-intensive operation. Unfortunately, servers typically impose a maximum limit on the time a script can run, which is typically 30 seconds. If sigplus would take longer than this to generate images, the servers "kills" Joomla/PHP before any output would be generated. Usually, if you refresh the page, sigplus can resume where it was interrupted, and after a while generate the entire gallery. This is a one-time cost, once the gallery is fully generated, it is never incurred again until some change occurs (e.g. new image added, settings updated).

In order to avoid this rather annoying situation, next-generation versions of sigplus continuously monitor execution time. If sigplus detects it is running out of time, an error message informing the user of such is returned. The procedure (as explained in the error message text) is the same: refresh the page to continue the operation.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”