What is inserting a phone icon and link

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
graemelg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

What is inserting a phone icon and link

Post by graemelg » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:42 pm

Can anyone tell me what is causing a phone icon and link to be automatically added to my article when it detects a phone number in the text? When I delete the code it comes right back again.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: What is inserting a phone icon and link

Post by brian » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:07 pm

It is either a plugin you have installed into joomla OR and most likely an addon you have installed to your own web browser. There is nothing in the core of joomla that will do this.
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

nextSteps
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nextSteps » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:01 pm

I had the same issue on one of my pages. The only update I can think of was an Akeeba backup update followed by a second update a day or so later.

I went into the extensions manager and turned off the Akeeba components , deleted the phone icon code from my article and then turned Akeeba back on and the phone code has not returned.

I'm not sure if Akeeba had anything to do with it. But the phone Icons appeared sometime between June 13, 2014 - june 16, 2014

nextSteps
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nextSteps » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Update: Akeeba was not the issue. The phone icon returned.

It appears that this has to do with Microsoft Lync. I was confused at first because I couldn't see how the auto generated code could appear in my own code. it should only be a function of the browser. Then I stumbled across this article for Sharepoint:
http://blog.davidjwise.com/2012/06/08/p ... lync-2010/

Apparently because CMS uses a browser based code editor, Lync is able to inject its code just as it does for any web page. Then when we click 'save'....

According to the article it is necessary to train the content editor to ignore Automatic Phone Number Detection when editing content. That or disable Lync in your browser whenever in an editing session. Alternatively you can enter empty span tags in the middle of the phone number so that Lync won't recognize it.

abbylee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by abbylee » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:29 am

nextSteps wrote:Update: Akeeba was not the issue. The phone icon returned.

It appears that this has to do with Microsoft Lync. I was confused at first because I couldn't see how the auto generated code could appear in my own code. it should only be a function of the browser. Then I stumbled across this article for Sharepoint:
http://blog.davidjwise.com/2012/06/08/p ... lync-2010/

Apparently because CMS uses a browser based code editor, Lync is able to inject its code just as it does for any web page. Then when we click 'save'....

According to the article it is necessary to train the content editor to ignore Automatic Phone Number Detection when editing content. That or disable Lync in your browser whenever in an editing session. Alternatively you can enter empty span tags in the middle of the phone number so that Lync won't recognize it.
Same problem with both phone and email.
Thanks! nextSteps ;)

Best regards.
Abby Lee

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”