akeeba backup (basic) -- installation

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
andynic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

akeeba backup (basic) -- installation

Post by andynic » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:37 pm

I am following the instructions in Akeeba Backup Quick Start Guide by Nicholas K. Dionysopoulos.
When I complete this section (quoted from the above):

=======Start quote from the guide=======

Once you have downloaded the component package – its name being something like com_akeeba-3.1-core.zip

– login to your site’s administrative back-end. Once in there, click on the Extensions, Install/Uninstall menu item.

The Extensions installer menu item

In the next page, under the Upload Package File header, click on the Browse button and locate Akeeba Backup's

installation ZIP file. Then, click on the Upload File & Install button.

========End quote=======

I get the following message from Joomla:
Error! Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package

Mac OS X 10.6
Apache 2.2.4
PHP 5.3.26
MySql 5.1.39
Joomla 1.5.26

Thanks for your help.
Andy

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: akeeba backup (basic) -- installation

Post by sitesrus » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:19 pm

Did you download the correct version for your installation? And did you download the correct file in zip format to upload into your extension manager?

Sometimes if you download a package it'll say unzip first b/c it's bundled with more than just a component for example.

What's the file name of the extension you downloaded? And what's in the archive when you view it with WinZip or 7zip or something?
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

sander_v_bergen
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by sander_v_bergen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:24 pm

3.4.3 is the latest version of Akeeba Backup for Joomla 1.5

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Ya that's right, if you aren't using the latest for your correct release it may not recognize the archive at all and fail like that. ie If you use Joomla 3 version on your 1.5 it may not understand the archive contents at all.
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

andynic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andynic » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:45 pm

Thank you all for your replies.

In answer to some of the above questions:
This is the file that I downloaded as it appears in Mac OS's "downloaders" directory: com_akeeba-4.0.5-core.zip
I will see if I can find v3.4.3 and give it another go.

Thanks for your help.
Andy

sander_v_bergen
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by sander_v_bergen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:49 pm

Seems they released a security fix for 3.4.3: https://www.akeebabackup.com/download/a ... 3-4-6.html

Scroll to bottom to download (Core)

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:32 pm

Akeeba should clearly identify the files and what joomla versions they are compatible with, it's up to you to make sure what version of Joomla you are using corresponds to their information. New releases may not be backwards comptible at all and you'll have to specifically go to the Joomla 1.5 version history and reference the correct files at akeeba's website.

Also they may no longer support 1.5 and don't do security fixes or other patches to that line of the software. It will likely be as is and may not even get support.

Not 100% sure how long 1.5 is even being supported for (if it's still being supported either) so you may want to look into that and think about upgrading if LTS isn't still going.

https://www.akeebabackup.com/static-con ... 3-4-3.html

andynic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andynic » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Could not find a copy of Akeeba Backup 3.4.3 to download but did find 3.2.6. After downloading it installed effortlessly. I was able to take a backup though have not tested it yet to see if it will restore the website.
Thanks for the tips.
Andy

samisgolden
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by samisgolden » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:05 am

I have this problem too. Error code. Proper Akeeba Core download page for Joomla. Old versions are divided into different PHP? None I tried are working but how do I know which PHP to choose? I am not a computer tech head I was given a Joomla site ages ago as it would be easy to use.... can't even backup with Akeeba in order to try and update from old version. Everything else seems to complicated. Akkeba sounds the easiest and yet I cant even install it. Please help.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:29 am

You can see what version of php the server is running in "System Information" in the Joomla Administrator.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”