Building the Ship - IDE

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Building the Ship - IDE

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:45 pm

Ubuntu always has a free "snail mail" option, too. We can keep working with this. For some, it will be a great idea and documenting how to obtain and use this is smart. Good stuff, thanks! Amy :)

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:29 pm

mudoch wrote: Ity was on a DVD that came with the MAG.  The Image file is about 1.3gig. and the VM utility for windows is about 13MB.  The image expands to 10Gig giving a 10Gig Virtual Machine (HDD). Perhaps this could be done through bittorrent or an ISO image download.  I'm sure someone here can build the basic image file and tarball it for us all to download. The VM tool is, Innotek VitrualBox (http://www.innotek.de). Overall performance on my Dell Latitude D800 is not bad, actually it is very good considering its running on WinXP  :'(
Wow, that's really great.  I've been using VirtualBox for some time now on my linux machine to host a windows install (still hooked on itunes...)  It's been very reliable and stable. 

Mudoch,  I would be willing to host the vm for download at http://www.bluejacketsoftware.com - it would just be a matter of setting up my ftp server again.

I don't think we have enough people to get a good bittorrent going.  It probably won't have enough seeds to make it worth while unless there's one assosciated with Linux Format already.  - I just looked and it doesn't seem like they offer a download.
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway.

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:06 am

Good news.

I have a working install of Xammp, Eclipse + PDT, Xdebug and Subclipse on a windows box.  I'm working on a how-to that will make install and configuration of this environment straight forward. 

Originally I had it configured to use dbg but that had it's limitations.  Xdebug is much better and I'm not finished exploring it's capabilities yet!

I have a question for the group but first a little back ground.  In all the different configurations / distros of eclipse I've discovered one very important thing:  each of them are constantly developing - out pacing each other and the required plug-ins.  I've downloaded working versions of each of the required files and have a successful install.  I'm going to host the versions of the files at my site : located here just to make sure we have a constant matched set available.  I intend to keep it updated with the latest stable versions.

The question I have is would it be best to host the how-to at my site or post it here for easy access?  I like the idea of having all of our how-to's located here for easy reference but there's something to be said for keeping the how-to with the required files.  What does everyone think?

I'm putting the finishing touches on the how to and I expect it to be ready for general use this weekend.
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway.

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:15 am

Very good news.

Hopefully this weekend (cross your fingers) we'll have a forum for that and if you post the faqs, I'll be sure to sticky them on the sub-forum which will make it available to everyone.  Still working on it.
If you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem.

CirTap
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by CirTap » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:25 am

seadap wrote: The question I have is would it be best to host the how-to at my site or post it here for easy access?  I like the idea of having all of our how-to's located here for easy reference but there's something to be said for keeping the how-to with the required files.  What does everyone think?
I'd suggest you initially write and host the how-to on your site, get it straightened out, formatted, reviewed etc., and then give permission to "Joomla" to publish it in the Development Wiki (i.e. CC licence).
I'm confident Chris and Ian will find a good spot for this :)

I personally don't like the idea to have a gazilliion great tuts spreading through, and become "well hidden", in all the many forums and subforums. Forum search often gives bad results (unless you try via Google's site search) so all the many good information is often very hard to find -- if at all. Attempts for useful research on a particular subject in *any* forums of this size is a pita, frustrating and truns into what we can see every single day: same questions asked and answered over and over again. It just happens to be so, and there's little one can do against it. Few poeple have the time, nervs, and skills to *research* successfully.

If there'll be a sticky in this forum with links to all the many great ideas, best practices, and how-tos that I can see evolving, a brief description of each linked document is far better than have each one of them burried in the masses -- and I don't believe 20 stickies at the top of a forum page, swallowing screen estate, is of any good :) You tend to ignore them sooner or later.

The Security Check List is a great examples of how such a linked list could be done.
Refer to or ask to get added to Resources: Developer Software and Tools.
I'm sure some forum members know of other great stickies or resource lists that can be helpful to "joombies".

Have fun,
CirTap
Last edited by CirTap on Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can have programs written fast, well, and cheap, but you only get to pick 2 ...

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:37 pm

Spoken like the fine development team member you are, CirTap! I agree! Ian setup the topic a couple of days ago for the Joomla! Development for Beginners in the Dev Wiki for us. This weekend, I am going to place [url=http://Joomla!%20Beginning%20Developer%20Course]the draft outline[/url]. Scott volunteered to work in the Tools section right now. Bruce told me that he would help, as well.

Scott - Thanks! I am looking forward to being your first documentation reviewer and tester to get this setup on my box.

Now - I am guessing after we get the curriculum out there, the documentation team might decide Tools should be listed somewhere else, move it and leave a link for us in the curriculum. I know I sure would be rearranging this rich material for benefit of the whole community. But, for now, Ian's got us a spot for it. ANYONE who wants to help, please, review the draft list, pick a spot, and post your interest in this thread. Ian will set up your access and we'll start work!

@Cirtap - it wouldn't hurt if you wanted to post the license information in that thread, as well, so that everyone understands.

Amy :)

CirTap
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by CirTap » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:09 pm

Thanks, Amy :)
I read past over the new "red item" in the Wiki, and admit to not have looked into the thread you mentioned; didn't attract me for (hopefully) obvious reasons ;)
However...
AmyStephen wrote: @Cirtap - it wouldn't hurt if you wanted to post the license information in that thread, as well, so that everyone understands.
your wish is my command  :laugh:
I'll add a note about the documentation licence.

Have fun,
CirTap
You can have programs written fast, well, and cheap, but you only get to pick 2 ...

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:50 pm

I don't think any of the tutorials or relevant posts that merit attention will stay in the forum permanently.  The wiki will most assuredly be a better place for them.  BUT, it doesn't hurt to give them a home here at the onset.  It may even promote some collaboration, or feedback.  If nothing else than to have a link if people are working on tutorials outside of the forum, if they are interested to have people view, try, and give feedback on.

Geoff
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Geoff » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:03 pm

Rogue4ngel wrote: Very good news.

Hopefully this weekend (cross your fingers) we'll have a forum for that and if you post the faqs, I'll be sure to sticky them on the sub-forum which will make it available to everyone.  Still working on it.
We could put that in the FAQ section of the site.
Maybe under Joomla Coding 101 or something?
Backup, backup, backup!
The "Master" .htacess file by Nicholas http://snipt.net/nikosdion/the-master-htaccess

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:04 pm

The documentation for how to set up the IDE with Xdebug and Subclipse has been posted and is ready for review.

I look forward to being able to post it in the wiki as soon as we start getting write access.  Is there an application process for that or is that being handled already?

Just for grins, I'm going to try to install the Aptana plugin in my working environment to see if it works.  It's got some great code-completion stuff that I think could be highly useful.

Also, I'm going to work on a Linux version of all this too.  If it becomes necessary, I will create some screen casts to show the install process too. 

If its wanted/needed, I can try my hand at creating a virtual machine for everyone to play with.

Enjoy!

Edit:  Modified the link to point to the J! wiki.
Last edited by seadap on Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drapichrust
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Drapichrust » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:15 pm

seadap wrote: The documentation for how to set up the IDE with Xdebug and Subclipse has been posted and is ready for review.

It works! Thank you very much seadap!

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:45 pm

You are very welcome.  Hopefully others will meet with the same success.  There are a few other things I was thinking about doing such as including the modified php.ini file in the downloads but if it's not needed then maybe I won't.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to make the howto easier to follow?  I'm not the best documentation writer in the world.  Coming from the perspective of a software developer, it makes perfect sense to me but I've known end users to think otherwise.

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:29 pm

I just realized that I chose bad names for the files.  I'm fixing it now.  Also, I'm working on the howto in the wiki. 

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:54 pm

I've finished updating the wiki with the howto.

Please have a look and let me know if I've made any errors.

matthewhayashida
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by matthewhayashida » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:46 pm

Good job.
One little 'error' I saw:
Step 2: Install XAMPP
Run the installer. I will refer to the xampp home directory as from here on on.

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:17 pm

Hah!  Thanks for pointing that out.  Got it fixed.  Were you able to get your ide setup using it?

matthewhayashida
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by matthewhayashida » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:57 pm

I didn' try it becuase I am quite busy now. I will soon. Thanks for your hard work :)

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:27 am

Hey all,

The linux setup howto is finished:

http://dev.joomla.org/component/option, ... linux-ide/

It's based on Ubuntu Feisty.

Let me know what you think....

Rogue4ngel
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Rogue4ngel » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:24 pm

Amazing work Scott and Amy.  It is easy to see how much work you're putting into this.  Appreciate all your efforts!

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:34 pm

It's fun.  Glad to be of help.

mudoch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mudoch » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:17 pm

seadap wrote: Hey all,

The linux setup howto is finished:

http://dev.joomla.org/component/option, ... linux-ide/

Let me know what you think....
Not sure if you meant to use in step ten, also the screen shot looks a lot like a windows screen......  Thus far I've gotten things to work. My Edgy Elf VM install is going fine..... It had most everything I needed. Except Eclipse, GD, xdebug, java (jre)... I'm going to build a clean VM of Fiesty.... If this week stays calm I can get this up into a VirtualBox VM by Sunday..

Mudoch (a.k.a. Larry)

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback Larry.  You are very right, those are windows screen shots.  The original tut that I referenced didn't have screen shots at all.  I was sorta combining the windows version and his original linux version as I was configuring my machine.  I should have taken screen shots when my linux install was working but I didn't think about that.

Also, I ment to replace all the tags with the actual paths.  Looks like I missed one!  Thanks again for your help.  I'll update it when I get home this evening.

I'm not sure why but I couldn't get any version of Ubuntu to install in VirtualBox.  I'm glad you are having better luck.  Did you use a dynamically resizing disk or static?  I look forward to playing with your vm.  Have you figured out where you are going to post it for download?  My original offer to host it still stands.

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:15 am

@Larry

I changed the screen shots to be more authentic  ;) and modified the path.  Anything else you see wrong?  Are you up and running okay?

mudoch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mudoch » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:00 pm

seadap wrote: Thanks for the feedback Larry.  You are very right, those are windows screen shots.  The original tut that I referenced didn't have screen shots at all.  I was sorta combining the windows version and his original linux version as I was configuring my machine.  I should have taken screen shots when my linux install was working but I didn't think about that.

Also, I ment to replace all the tags with the actual paths.  Looks like I missed one!  Thanks again for your help.  I'll update it when I get home this evening.

I'm not sure why but I couldn't get any version of Ubuntu to install in VirtualBox.  I'm glad you are having better luck.  Did you use a dynamically resizing disk or static?  I look forward to playing with your vm.  Have you figured out where you are going to post it for download?  My original offer to host it still stands.
Scott, As soon as I have a clean VM I'll PM you to arrange this.    to answer your question on the setup the one I',m playing with is the one from Linux Format....  but attached is the screen shot of the setup info.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

soup a loignon y crouton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by soup a loignon y crouton » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:08 am

i have a question about the next piece of the environment.

i am using eclipse since a long time for java development and i am used to it and it will work for php.

however, another element now is the mvc programming pattern . since setting up Eclipse to work with Cake is fairly simple, i am planning to use cakephp as a learning tool to become familiar with this architecture.

do you know if the joomla core developers are using a specific tool to work with the mvc architecture or do they code everything by hand ?

i noticed as well that there is an extension allowing to run cakephp inside joomla thus maybe allowing for a faster development environement?

ideas or tools links welcome
note to self : OMG FH UY and IYF

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:19 am

Honestly I don't know how the devs are getting on.  Someone mentioned they are using J!Code which is to say easyeclipse.  The next build of J!code will have some MVC templates in it.

I haven't heard of cakephp in so I don't have the answer to that one either.  I'll do some digging and see what I can find.

mudoch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mudoch » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:56 pm

Good morning all;  Well last nite was a good session on getting the IDE up and running.  Thanks all for getting us up and going. Learned a lot.

After hearing everyone talk I'm continuing to get the VM up and running. I also think I'll be creating an instruction set on building the VM from scratch. This way fgolks will only have to download the VirtualBox Engine a copy of their fav. Distro and then add in our xamp setup along with the ide. 

Scott I also believe for the folks who really want a running system out of the box we should have a VM tar ball as was discussed previously.

I'll PM you later when I have both the VM and the how-to ready. 

BTW how late you u all up?  OK Scott You're excused for being on the West Coast.

seadap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by seadap » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:02 pm

LOL!  I'm glad I got a hall pass.  I was just thinking about how lucky I am that I don't have to stay up 'till midnight just to be part of the group.  Lucky I guess.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:09 pm

I was thinking that we are going to have a hard time finding a time and day that works for people all around the world! We will have to give that some consideration - when is a good time?  :P

mudoch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mudoch » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:28 pm

AMy glad u posted the "When", I was think after enough hard drinks anytime is a good time.... 6pm PST (9pm est) seems to work for me... give me time to get home, eat, and do a little of the home work we'll be assigned... :P

Return to “Joombie Tools of the Trade”