Template Contest Entry - [JA Purity]

This forum is for the Joomla! 1.5 template contest, where people can post their templates.
BaldrickThe4th
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Template Contest Entry - [JA Purity]

Post by BaldrickThe4th » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:29 am

Hi there

I've been trying to change the width of the left column so that the main content is wider. But can't seem to do it. Anyone got any pointers in the CSS that would help?

I'm using a 3 column layout, but the menu on the left doesn't need to be as wide as it is.

Thanks.
Last edited by BaldrickThe4th on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:33 am

vette wrote:seeing something odd in the main navigation menu

- only using IE7, if you go to the demo site

http://demo.joomlart.com/contest/index.php

- select for example "Joomla! License" (that button gets highlighted)
- then select "More about Joomla!" (highlight moves to that button)
- the press the browser back button

now both buttons are highlighted!
Yes there is bug due to a bad handling of em heights in IE7. Hope Joomlart is fixing this or some that know how to do it...

faceit
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by faceit » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:01 am

Hi there,

I am a joomla newbie. Does anyone know how to display a flash header (it is "swf" format file) in the header place and like to give me a help? I explored index.php, template.css, and ja_templatetools.php but did not find a good way to do this. It may possibly display gif file in the header (defined in ja_templatetools.php) but gif format flash size is too big and low resolution, so I prefer swf format. I thought another way is to take off this template original codes for head display and replace them by some new codes but this seems not good. Can anyone give a kind help?
I do need a flash header and it would be best if some new codes to display swf file are inserted into the header display place of ja_templatetools.php so that the index.php does not need change. Any help would be highly appreciated.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:28 pm

You can use this smooth slideshow that is GPL 2 . Pls show how you did to make it in the header! :)

http://smoothslideshow.jondesign.net/fi ... otools.zip
-----------------------------info-------------------------------------------------------------
• All the code is now wrapped in objects, permitting you to put more than one slideshow at a time in the same webpage.
• Images don't have to be at the same size as the slideshow. This way you can use different image ratio for one instance of smoothslideshow.
• JonDesign's SmoothSlideshow now uses mootools instead of moo.fx and prototype.lite.js (but don't worry, there is still a version using moo.fx available ;-))
• Some graphical changes (yeah everyone wants to look cool :-))
• And last but not least, a lot of bugfixes.
How to use it ?
To use it, just insert those lines of code in your html files:
In the header
1. Include those lines in your header (external requirements): <script src="scripts/mootools.release.83.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
2. Then include in your header:
o If you want the timed mode: <script src="scripts/timed.slideshow.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
o If you want the showcase ("changed by hand") mode: <script src="scripts/showcase.slideshow.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
3. And finally, include the css: <link rel="stylesheet" href="css/jd.slideshow.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />
In your web page
1. This code (here I added 2 elements) to define the slideshow elements:
<script type="text/javascript">
countArticle = 0;
var mySlideData = new Array();
mySlideData[countArticle++] = new Array(
'image1.jpg',
'article1.html',
'Item 1 Title',
'Item 1 Description'
);
mySlideData[countArticle++] = new Array(
'image2.jpg',
'article2.html',
'Item 2 Title',
'Item 2 Description'
);
</script> As you see, the first argument is the image file (relative to the current document).
The second one is the url of the page the current element links to.
The third one is the title, and finally, the last one is the current element's description.
2. Prepare a container for your slideshow:
<div class="jdSlideshow" id="mySlideshow"></div>
3. Then add this code to launch the slideshow (you can also put it in a separate JS file):
o If you want the timed mode: <script type="text/javascript">
function startSlideshow() {
var slideshow = new timedSlideShow($('mySlideshow'), mySlideData);
}
addLoadEvent(startSlideshow);
</script>
o If you want the showcase ("changed by hand") mode: <script type="text/javascript">
function startSlideshow() {
var slideshow = new showcaseSlideShow($('mySlideshow'), mySlideData);
}
addLoadEvent(startSlideshow);
</script>
In your stylesheets
1. The final step, set the slideshow size in your stylesheets like this (the default size is 320x240):
#mySlideShow
{
width: 400px !important;
height: 200px !important;
}

jurgentje
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Small bug in 1.0.13 template - [JA Purity]

Post by jurgentje » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi,

I bumped into a little bug in the 1.0.13 adaptation of the template: not using the file "template_css.css" has a few consequences:

1. we can't edit it from inside the Joomla-back-end (not that bad since there are better ways for this)
2. some text-editors rely on this file to extract CSS styles...
3. using the "print" button results in a missing stylesheet

Tamas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Tamas » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:26 am

Congratulations, Matt!

I am trying out the template (http://www.west-apartment.com), and it is really nice. (in Hungarian...)
Thank you.

I would like to create a new color-theme. Pink.
What are the files I have to modify?
Should I create a new folder(s) for it? And if so, how can I handle it from the template-manager?

Thank you, again,

Tamas
p.s.
This is the very first site I am doing in Joomla 1.5 And, anyhow, I am rather new in Joomla...

clem75
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by clem75 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:26 am

Hi.

For some reason the scroll down menu does not go down as far as it should. It seems to fail randomly.
Anyone experienced this? Are there any known fixes? I hope this hasn't been caused by my CSS tweaks.
I use Safari on a mac, by the way.

Here is a pic of my problem:

Thanks in advance for your help!

rdbean
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rdbean » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:52 am

Hi All, Trying to figure out how to move the random header graphics over about 20 px.

I've tried the CSS etc, and can move the header mask but not the header graphics themselves...

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:27 am

Does anyone know the political issues behind the Joomla Template Contest and the JA Purity template?
This template won the J 1.5 template contest hands down and is still not included in the J 1.5 download.
Why?

JA is not updating this template.
No response to template issues here in this forum.
No response to template issues in the JA forums either.
This would lead one to conclude there is something else which is not being discussed.

Direct questions to Joomla core developers about this issue in other threads have been ignored.

Does anyone have the scuttlebutt on the real issues?
What are the real political issues preventing support of this excellent template?

Please save the transparent "conspiracy theory" posts - the lack of input makes it obvious to any intelligent being that something is not being said here - WHAT IS IT?
No one completely stops talking about something without an issue in play.

The greater Joomla Community would benefit greatly from support of this excellent template.
PLEASE discuss and resolve this issue.

Note: Have the real story?
You can PM me privately via this forum, the SOBI2 forum, or the SmartSEF forum.
I would really like to know what the actual issue is which is preventing support for this very useful template which will benefit the entire Joomla Community.

Thank you.

██ LibreTraining

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:32 am

I see that it is a problem with the right column too when using browser Opera 9.26
version 8835 Win32 Windows XP. Can anyone else check if this is a problem for them too?

The right column falling down under to the right...

jeremy217
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jeremy217 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:38 pm

Probably one of the reasons is because the template is open source meaning the js code isn't encrypted. So, instead they make the js code, css code and everything else so confusing that theres no point on even using it to show off what 1.5 can do but what joomlart can do.

That could be one reason.. I can understand joomlart trying to protect how they make templates but lets be real. If your going to make something that will be included in the default install, at least provide instructions on how to understand the confusing code.

Hils
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Hils » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:27 pm

darb wrote:I see that it is a problem with the right column too when using browser Opera 9.26
version 8835 Win32 Windows XP. Can anyone else check if this is a problem for them too?

The right column falling down under to the right...
check out
http://browsershots.org
and search for:
for http://demo.joomlart.com/contest/index.php

There are views from 23 different browsers on different systems at a width of 640px and none of them have that right column falling.

Hils
Founder Member of OpenTranslators & Joomla Community Member
https://twitter.com/HilsCheyne

rogue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rogue » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:28 pm

The code is really confusing.
=/
I think JA just won because of the apearence.

clem75
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by clem75 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:02 am

clem75 wrote:Hi.

For some reason the scroll down menu does not go down as far as it should. It seems to fail randomly.
Anyone experienced this? Are there any known fixes? I hope this hasn't been caused by my CSS tweaks.
I use Safari on a mac, by the way.

Here is a pic of my problem:

Thanks in advance for your help!
Upon further investigation, I've discovered that the menu doesn't fully draw if the mouse is over a menu item before the whole page has loaded. This is most likely a javascript issue. Is there a way to make the javascript file load a bit later or earlier to avoid this problem?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

sahara
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sahara » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:40 pm

Could someone please tell me how to make the suckerfish menu work. I can't get either menu to work. I have the TopMenu activated across the top and the MainMenu on the side. They have different names/menu choices.

Do the menus only work with the MainMenu? Do the links from the menus need to be Section/Category...blog, articles or what?

I have used the Extensions/template/ja_purity to switch from embedded menu - suckerfish or jamoo and changed from TopMenu to MainMenu. Nothing seems to make a difference. The changes are being written to the params.ini file.

Please give me a step by step example. I see that some people have this working.

** No one has answered. Can't anyone help with this?
Last edited by sahara on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bambaaacha
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bambaaacha » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:19 pm

sahara wrote:Could someone please tell me how to make the suckerfish menu work. I can't get either menu to work. I have the TopMenu activated across the top and the MainMenu on the side. They have different names/menu choices.

Do the menus only work with the MainMenu? Do the links from the menus need to be Section/Category...blog, articles or what?

I have used the Extensions/template/ja_purity to switch from embedded menu - suckerfish or jamoo and changed from TopMenu to MainMenu. Nothing seems to make a difference. The changes are being written to the params.ini file.

Please give me a step by step example. I see that some people have this working.
the same question I was going to ask myself, but I notice that the 2 menus are the same except the slow animation when the childs of a node expanding in Jamoo. In suckerfish the menu is expanding without animation (firefox).

bernardpc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bernardpc » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:06 am

i don't know where to post this exactly. however, i have a question about the top menu position of ja purity. is there a way of moving the menu a little bit far right (see attached image)? any help would be highly appreciated. thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fly974
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Fly974 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:12 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mustiy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mustiy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Hey guys, im kinda late to the party but i thought i would come in and just say how great this theme is! :) Now onto my questions regarding ja_purity:

1) I have 2 right modules currently, the "Polls" and "Who is online" how can i get these modules so the color of the Ja_purity theme im using fills in the module? Currently the color inside the module is white, i would like it to be blue just like the color theme of _japurity.

2) how can i remove the "CSS" and the "XHTML" button on the bottom right corner of every page? How can i also remove the "ABOUT JOOMLA!" "FEATURES" "NEWS" "THE COMMUNITY" buttons on the bottom of each page as well?

Edit: I found the answer to #2. I had to add "_blue" suffix to the module parameters.

bergmannn
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by bergmannn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:06 pm

kenmcd wrote:.

Does anyone know the political issues behind the Joomla Template Contest and the JA Purity template?
This template won the J 1.5 template contest hands down and is still not included in the J 1.5 download.
Why?
It will be great to have some answers to this.... :eek:
Martin Bergmann

dzungvn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dzungvn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:51 pm

dear all,

has anyone developed a phpBB3 template that is matched with JA_purity?

Thanks

Roar
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Roar » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:51 pm

bergmannn wrote:
kenmcd wrote:.

Why?
It will be great to have some answers to this.... :eek:
Why should this be a political issue? The template contents rules said the winner would be in the 1.5.1. Yes the winner is not in the 1.5.1 but what do you prefer, realise of 1.5.1 to handle a security issue or wait.

I just wonder why this question is asked; can’t you just start using the winner as it is?

tommylogic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tommylogic » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:02 pm

yeah, I see a LOT of questions from some VERY supportive users... and very FEW responses from the creators.

I think everyone should note that they SELL templates, and give support to their customers. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.. but, I'll say this. They are not particularly interested in helping you. We are not paying customers, and this is a FREE template that they made for other reasons.

Of course it's confusing, if you figured it out, then you could change it and make it better to suit your needs. It's much more profitable to them if you just display their template (as advertisement for their portfolio no doubt) as is and leave it alone. Quit trying to modify it. Of course, I can only assume this based on their lack of community involvement in this particular project... I believe the reason it wasn't included in the 1.5.1 release is because that was mainly a Security issue fix.

Now that said, I do quite like the template... hands down one of the best I have had yet, I use it myself. For those looking to make sitewide changes in appearance, most of them can be done by examining the files in the "../styles/" folder... look at the folders "background, elements, header" to make most of those changes.

I have had some luck tweaking this template. It involves opening up their template in an external editor and setting it up on a WAMP server, opening pages in Firefox, viewing the source in external editor, modifying it piece by piece, check for changes in Firefox... etc. NOT very user friendly, to say the least. If you use the WebDev toolbar for Firefox, that will help you out a lot.

As for the Suckerfish / Jamoo question I saw. Suckerfish is just the CSS version of more or less the same Jamoo Javascript version. If you post a link to the site, I might be able to find out what's wrong with your CSS. It could be a browser issue, file location, anything.

Good luck eveyone.. If I find any answers to any questions I see here, I'll try to get them to you.

sahara
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sahara » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:55 am

I would sure appreciate it if you could find the answer to my question. Suckerfish menu not working.
My site has not been transferred from the old site yet. It is on siteground, Joomla 1.5 prod stable (installed by siteground), PHP 5.2, params.ini set to 755, etc. Suckerfish set in template set up for top menu. I have articles and sections.

site: 75.125.60.1/~colora16

tommylogic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tommylogic » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:12 am

sahara wrote:I would sure appreciate it if you could find the answer to my question. Suckerfish menu not working.
My site has not been transferred from the old site yet. It is on siteground, Joomla 1.5 prod stable (installed by siteground), PHP 5.2, params.ini set to 755, etc. Suckerfish set in template set up for top menu. I have articles and sections.

site: 75.125.60.1/~colora16
Its very difficult for me to speculate as to the issue without a link to a live site so I can review it.

sahara
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sahara » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:36 am

I can see the site by going to http://75.125.60.5/~colora16/

Isn't this available to you?

rubras
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rubras » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Hi
very nice template.

How do i make the right side wider? i have been looking to the posts to see any idea, but no lucky
can someone please, tell me step by step how to do it

thanks

tommylogic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tommylogic » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:56 pm

Sahara,
I can get to it today, it wasn't working yesterday for some reason.

Anyhow, the menu is working fine on my end. I see that it is set to the "topmenu" in your template preferences.
I'm not sure what it is that you are expecting it to do that it's not.. but it is functioning as planned.

There are no dropdown menus on it because of the directory structure you have set up. For example; under your Breeders page, I see that you have 8 sub sections. Those won't drop down from the top menu because you have "Breeders" as a sub section of your "Home" menu as seen here in your Breadcrumbs:
Home--> Breeders--> Herding Group Breeds

In order to give that the dropdown effect that I THINK you are looking for you need to make "Breeders" a top level menu item. Here's how you do that (as you have it now):

Goto Administrator--> Menus--> Top Menu-->
--> Once there you will see "View Menu Items" (the layout of your entire Top Menu)
--> That will look similar to this:

.........Home
...............|_Breeders
.................|_ Herding Group Breeds
.................|_ Hound Group Breeds
.................|_ etc, etc, etc

Select "Breeders" and "EDIT" (or double click on Breeders) to bring up its properties.
Once in Menu Item [Edit],
--> Go down to "Parent Item" and select "TOP"
--> Then down to "Order"and select "LAST"
--> Save your settings and Preview your site

You should now see the "dropdown effect" in the Top Menu when you point to it with your mouse.

Also of note... If I were you I would download the component Xmap in order to set up a sitemap for your site. This is a critical step for many reasons, inluding search engines and user accessibility. I would have been able to figure this out a lot quicker too, had I been able to see your sitemap. IF you goto my page and click on "Sitemap" located at the bottom (footer) of my page , you'll see what it does (it's also submitable to Google. HUGE help there). If you need any help setting that up, PM me & I'll give you a hand with that (its a simple two step process).

A couple more things while we're on your site... Another interesting thing I noticed, you have all the default images in your header still. You may consider replacing tose images with some pictures of dogs or something. Get some pictures you like and crop them down to 400x80px and saving them in the directory -->templates--> ja_purity--> images--> header (delete the default images). That might suit the "theme" a bit more. If you do this, also crop down "header-mask.png" to the same dimensions and save that file to -->templates--> ja_purity--> images You want to do this because I notice in smaller monitors your Site Name is being clipped.. it looks like this:

The last thing is that your Home page still shows "Welcome to the Front Page".. you should change that to match your site... something Search Engines can find maybe?
Goto Administrator--> Menus--> Main Menu--> Home--> Parameters - System (on the right side) and modify 'Page Title'

Hope this helps--> Best of Luck,
Tommy Logic | Total Web Solutions
Last edited by tommylogic on Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tommylogic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tommylogic » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:18 pm

rubras wrote:Hi
very nice template.

How do i make the right side wider? i have been looking to the posts to see any idea, but no lucky
can someone please, tell me step by step how to do it

thanks
I presume you are talking about the modules on the right side of the page.
Those are controlled by the CSS located in:

--> templates--> ja_purity--> css--> template.css

Open template.css in any external editor (notepad.exe works fine)
In that file scroll down to where you see this:

.........#ja-col2 {
..............float: right;
..............width: 20%;
..............overflow: hidden;
}

The width is controlled by the width: 20%;
--> Set 20% to whaever value you prefer.
--> Save the changes to the file and upload to your site (be sure to save it in the correct folder)
--> Test your settings and make changes as needed

NOTE: It seems I saw a question about the left column from someone else.. same thing there only it is controlled by the width in #ja-col1.

Hope this helps--> Best of Luck,
Tommy Logic | Total Web Solutions

sahara
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sahara » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Thank you for replying to my post. I really appreciate it.

I tried doing what you said about editing the "breeder" in the top menu. But the change to Order - last isn't saved. The structure I am using is Section (breeders) Categories (working, sporting, etc), articles under categories. I must still not be doing something correctly. It is set up as Articles - Section.

What structure in general should be used for the Suckerfish Menus to work? Does this work with just articles or is section or categories required?

I have downloaded the Xmap (com_xmap-1.1-beta1.zip) to the server. Where do I unzip the file to, etc?
I tried to look at your site http://www.tommlogic.com, but nothing came up.

I am planning to change the header files for the site. Thanks for the instructions on how to do that.

I thought I had already removed the "welcome to the front page" on the site. But, I will try to add it back with a message better for the search engines" Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Template Contest”