Why so few top websites are Joomla compared to WP/Drupal

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
NoCoolNamesLeft
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Why so few top websites are Joomla compared to WP/Drupal

Post by NoCoolNamesLeft » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Looking at some CMS usage statistics @ http://trends.builtwith.com/cms

On the "entire internet" section Joomla! ranks as number 2 behind WP as the most used CMS. The share seems to be
1) WP 48%
2) Joomla 10.5%
3) Drupal 2.74%

However as you narrow it down to more and more trafficked sites both Drupal And of course WP leaves Joomla in the dust. On top10k sites the stats seems to be the following:

1) 49% are WP
2) 12% are Drupal
3) and Joomla is now narrowed down to only 1.3%

What are the reasons for this development in numbers? I realize both WP (2003) and Drupal (2001) are older than Joomla by a couple of years (perhaps not if you count mambo). Is Joomla in a situation where it falls between two chairs sort of speak? With WP being the traditional choice for blogging and Drupal perhaps being the most flexible of the 3? I only have experience with WP and Joomla, don't know much about Drupal really. Does the other CMSs market themselves better?

It's certainly not a competition about being the biggest, I am just genuinely interested in some insight on this topic, please enlighten me!
google.com

FlashRebel

Re: Why so few top websites are Joomla compared to WP/Drupal

Post by FlashRebel » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:52 am

Personaly I think similar like you, that Joomla is between two chairs. You can use it for small website - but not so well like with Worpdress, you can use it for big projects, but not so well like with Drupal. Middle is always not important. Ussually users use something very simply or something really powerful ...

Also how Wordpress is growing and its so big with plugins and themes, that simply bloging platform is now really powerfull, bc. many developers choose it, because their users ask for it.

Sure it does not mean Wordpress is better than Joomla, but users sometimes use not better solution, but faster, simplier, more easy solution.

I m relatively familiar with Joomla and use also Wordpress ... many times Joomla make me nervous how some things are, then I do something with Wordpress but there I feel so limited. Things there are simple and easy, but when I want to add something extra I m limited if I dont want milions of plugins, what I dont want :)

If Joomla will be more modern, more easy and more user friendly ... then I think users will jump here soon and personally I think Joomla have still potential to be beat Wordpress in any part, but it needs enthusiastics people in commnunity.

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Why so few top websites are Joomla compared to WP/Drupal

Post by alikon » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:24 am

recently i've read an interesting article comparing drupal to joomla maybe you'll find it interesting too
http://www.butterfly.com.au/what/we-re- ... source-cms

less recently at the jab14 there was an interesting talk with some intersting statistics
http://jandbeyond.org/program/sessions/ ... -data.html
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

Return to “The Lounge”