Joomla vs wp for seo purpose?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
zelenazaba
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla vs wp for seo purpose?

Post by zelenazaba » Tue May 19, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi im new here and also quit a beginer in joomla but it seems pretty easy to use and im curios to create a site in joomla but i wonder if anyone can tell me the diffrence between joomla and wordpress if you use the site for seo purpose? Thanks in advance!

/Ermin

ramarjun
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Joomla vs wp for seo purpose?

Post by ramarjun » Tue May 19, 2015 1:55 pm

hi,

i have use both to create Website's,my self joomla provide best futures on SEO Service,its simple make your page rank higher
Web Design company bangalore | Web Development company bangalore - Xennex Technology

Claudia_A
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Claudia_A » Wed May 20, 2015 1:37 pm

Hello Ermin and welcome to the forum!
For beginners, even though it's an article from 2 years ago, information is pretty solid. I recommend you read this - http://magazine.joomla.org/issues/issue ... la-website. :)
Best Regards,
Claudia A.

http://www.thePHPfactory.com || Professional Joomla! Extensions

NivF007
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by NivF007 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:46 pm

I worked for Bing a few years ago (although under Non-Disclosure Agreement which prevents me from publishing information not publicly known).

I will say emphatically that none of the search engines provide any preference or favor WP, Joomla!, Drupal or any CMS over another - it does not make sense from their main goal, which is to return the most 'human' relevant results based on the intent of the person utilizing the search engine.

Google, as an example, changes it's search algorithms about 500 times a year, refining the criteria on which it returns results in order to improve the human relevance of the search results. The SEO companies tweak their algorithms based on human feedback (annotators) who review and rank results based on the relevance to specific sets of keywords - those rankings get fed to the programmers, who make adjustments to the search engine algorithms - and the cycle repeats. In the end, it's human relevance that counts.

Please keep in mind that 'content is king' - so from the search engine perspective, all they care about is providing the best and most authoritative content which matches the searchers intent as closely as possible.

For major search engines to design their algorithms to permit one CMS to rank over another would be contrary NS counter-productive to their main goal: returning the most relevant results. If more relevant content exists on a site using ACME CMS over XYZ CMS, then the search engine will strive to rank the ACME CMS page higher.

Think about it - if you were to search, for example, for the "History of Surfing in Peru" - as the searcher, you are looking for the best match with respect to content and could not care less as to wether that content is found on a Wordpress site, a Joomla! site or any other CMS - it's not the CMS that you are looking for, it's the relevant and authoritative content you want.

The major search engine companies (although they keep their algorithms secret) tell you exactly how you should structure your site and you should follow these recommendations. Google publishes a very helpful SEO Guide which I strongly recommend to follow.

See http://static.googleusercontent.com/med ... -guide.pdf

If you are keen on mastering SEO you can do so on *any* platform without worrying that one CMS has any SEO advantage over another.

Some helpful resources:

MOZ's Free Beginner's Guide to SEO see https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo

Keyword Intelligence by Ron Jones (Highly recommended!)

See http://www.amazon.com/Keyword-Intellige ... 1118061837

Whatever CMS you use, make sure you do some research on specific settings for that CMS to make them more Search Engine Friendly - lots of information out there!

Choose your preferred CMS (I happen to think Joomla rocks!), but know that your choice on CMS has no bearing on SEO rankings.

michalp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by michalp » Sun May 24, 2015 5:17 pm

Clean and new wordpress installation seems to be a bit more seo friendly than joomla. But after a couple of tweaks you can make Joomla site even better optimized than WP

noor7300
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by noor7300 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:48 am

Its just perception of the users that joomla will give you good result, but its the content which is sought by Google to be great and its just mean to Google only.

nikosmdtps
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nikosmdtps » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:45 pm

Hello

I used to use Joomla for my websites, but the last 2 years i switched to Wordpress. I use Yoast SEO to help me achieve my goals and i think that the combination of Wordpress and Yoast is powerful. Is there any SEO component like Yoast for Joomla?

johnjbloomfield
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by johnjbloomfield » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:22 am

Although the search engines don't care which CMS you use as previously stated as a user I suspect you mean which is the easiest to SEO yourself.

At the moment I would say that Wordpress is as there are several plugins available to help you with things like rich snippets and structured data that make it easy Joomla lags behind on this and there are no simple to use components to help your users or end customers to implement schema markup easily regardless of how they are using their Joomla site.

Also Wordpress uses header tags properly out of the box Joomla does not making all article headings H2 - you have to install a plugin to take manual control of this or you will suffer in search engine rankings. When I fixed this on one of my sites recently it went from page 5 to item 5 page 1 for a particular search term overnight.

I still love Joomla I have been using it for a long time but the extensions and components don't seem to be keeping pace with SEO developments over the last two years or so so I am starting to think it may be time for a change. I currently run about 180 joomla sites and I'm thinking of switching a couple to wordpress to see if the better SEO tools makes life easier and the site more successful.
John

Jesper Brixen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jesper Brixen » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:04 pm

You can find 1000+ comparisons on Google, and a lot of people will swear to one or the other.

I mostly use WP, and just love the amount of good plugins

heartitco
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by heartitco » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:20 pm

As a developer who has used all of the popular CMS platforms over the years, I personally can see no difference with regard to the 'preference' of one CMS over another. There simply is no preference. NivF007 summed it up perfectly.

However with regards to ease of use when it comes to setting up a nice clean website with good code and effective SEO addons and extensions, I'd say go with WordPress. Joomla is great but it's not quite as good when it comes to SEO addons/plugins.

In the realm of self-hosted sites, WordPress accounts for 18.9% of all websites. That’s even more astounding when you consider that over 70% of sites worldwide do not use a CMS. With this in mind, understand that with hard work and interesting content you can have a high ranking CMS website.

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by AlexVega » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:54 am

Hi there!
johnjbloomfield wrote:Joomla does not making all article headings H2 - you have to install a plugin to take manual control of this or you will suffer in search engine rankings
This was also related with the template, not just joomla!, so that will depend
on how well it is built.

Cheers!

henna451
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by henna451 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:09 am

WP is any day better not because of feature set but its simplicity and usability. Joomla also can provide same features but they are not out of the box where as for wordpress its all built it. Install Yoast SEO and it handles all.

Jesper Brixen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Jesper Brixen » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:21 pm

But SEO-wise good content will beat any cms every time.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:50 pm

I realise that this is a really, really old topic but I wonder if anyone really looked carefully at the subject and the text in the first post?
zelenazaba wrote:I wonder if anyone can tell me the difference between Joomla and Wordpress if you use the site for SEO purpose?
I suppose we will never know what @zelenazaba intended because he/she has long since now left the room but I find it a little intriguing to be asking a question about using a site "for SEO purposes", don't you?

I don't know about the rest of the people who create websites—some people like to create websites to sell things, some people like to use websites to post pictures of funny cats or movies of their favourite bands, other people like to blog about whatever issues of the day fill their innermost desires ...

... but to create a site "for SEO purposes"? Does this mean that some people's only goal in life is to figure out what makes search engines tick inside and to utilise that knowledge to win that elusive "target" of being number one in the SERP stakes?

Well, if you want my opinion w.r.t. the question "which is better, Joomla or Wordpress, 'for SEO purposes'?" the answer is neither of them is better than one another (or any other webcraft technology). It would take too long to explain the differences but, if anyone is interested (and prepared to pay several thousand dollars for a 20,000-word report) I would be delighted to go into further detail. :)

Return to “The Lounge”