How to save changes in Firebug?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
Jhonte
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: How to save changes in Firebug?

Post by Jhonte » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:08 pm

Yes, cssUpdater is my current evening work :)

Did you get two entries in the file section at the bottom? And did you try this today? Because I recently changed so that they were hashed on file path instead of file name.

I tried to reproduce it with three different folders but same file name, but I can't in the version that is out right now... so it seems to work now :)

And you are right about saving time, no more need to save and reload the page for every css change. Or the sync problems when you forget one or two properties from the FireBug panel before you reload :D

Please let me know if you find any other bugs (or if you can reproduce the filename bug), thank you very much!

unleash.it
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by unleash.it » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:37 pm

HI Jhonte, I just checked and noticed there was an update since yesterday when I first downloaded, so I updated. Still not working right for me. I haven't done a lot of testing, but I'm pretty sure I've got it set up right. Yes, I've dragged both entries into the bottom. They're both there w/same file name (but I can't verify the paths are correct because long paths are impossible to see since you can't resize the window). The top one updates, bottom won't. Also, I had an instance where the wrong CSS is getting modified upon syncing. (changed the color of the global "a" tag, but a body class changed instead had to end up restoring backup css file)

Unfortunately, now is about the worst time for me to beta test (ordinarily I would be happy to.... especially for something as promising as cssupdater) as I have several deadlines.

P.S. not sure if this is the best place to communicate (they are pretty by the book here). Do you have a forum or another way to send bug reports, etc.?

EDIT: Just to be on the safe side, I just took the time to verify the problems. I was able to repeat both problems by taking the same steps. If I change the link color, for some reason, the color of my body class changes instead...

Jhonte
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jhonte » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks again unleash.it

I'm always available at [email protected], forum and FAQ will be set up in the future. Let's talk there when you have some time over. Meanwhile I will try to reproduce your bug again.

Good thing you had your backup, I been thinking about storing one backup for each file before you sync. So you always can sync - reload - and if it failed - restore the files.

unleash.it
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by unleash.it » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Just sent you an email.

Jason

comments
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

cssUpdater ISSUE

Post by comments » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:27 pm

I get these messages when trying to use it.

1 : 20 PM - Got no connection on ip: 127.0.0.1 port: 1337
1 : 20 PM - Make sure cssUpdater is running and that you use the same port.
1 : 20 PM - Response: Could not send commando, is cssUpdater really running?
1 : 21 PM - Response: Could not send commando, is cssUpdater really running?

What am I doing wrong????

How can I fix this?

ksoweo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ksoweo » Mon May 02, 2011 8:54 am

Here is a good reference on Firebug Tutorial :
http://www.w3resource.com/web-developme ... orials.php

Pauca
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Pauca » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:08 pm

The CSS updater doenst work for embedded css. For the rest its buggy as hell.

johans
I've been banned!

Post by johans » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:38 am

Hi Jhote,

Good to know you develop this kind of add on. It really saves time but it seems like so confusing your procedure on how it works on firebug because it tried it several time it does not work for me.

I hope other user who installed it correctly can post on the step by step procedure on how it works.

Thanks,
Johans

unleash.it
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by unleash.it » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:54 am

I hope other user who installed it correctly can post on the step by step procedure on how it works.
I don't know if you mean me or someone else, but it's not worth it... (at least last I checked a few months ago). It was a nice effort, but in the end I had to agree with:
The CSS updater doenst work for embedded css. For the rest its buggy as hell.

Knupper
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Knupper » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:21 pm

You could try using Greasemonkey. It has support for adding custom scripts that are run whenever you load a page (linked to which pages it should load on) and that can make changes to the page dynamicaly.

aboveb
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by aboveb » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:31 pm

@Jhonte

Thanks for letting know about this nifty CSSupdater combo!

Do you know about any similar functionality for Chrome's Developer tools?

arthisoftseo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by arthisoftseo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:53 am

I think Firebug is only use for editing tool in Browser. After editing in browser you need to edit you code at when your files are located.

TheMightyCheese
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by TheMightyCheese » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:51 pm

MEAT1 wrote:I don't think this is possible. You can not save changes in firebug.CityVille Hack
You can copy your code yes and past it in your html doc but saving changes in Firebug itself can not be done.
This is what I do, would find a save addition rather useful, thanks for the forum guys have found this really helpful I was only a few days ago introduced to FireBug and feel I am slowly getting to grips with it...... I think :D

Amerindian
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Amerindian » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 pm

I use Firebug to modify codes and FileSeek to search codes in files. Is very fast and simple. Cheers

bobbykjack
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bobbykjack » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:46 am

Firebug can only inspect the DOM, which is rendered from the HTML that is sent to your browser when it makes a request. Whether an individual piece of content comes from a flat file, a piece of code, a database, or a third-party via an AJAX request, firebug cannot possibly know. Only a human being with intelligence and access to the backend can do that :-)

My general advice, for finding out where an individual piece of content comes from is:

1. Get to know your backend. In the case of joomla, dig through the modules, components, plugins, etc. that you have in use. Get familiar with the core joomla code. Understand the general mechanisms for how Joomla! fetches content.

2. As a companion technique, get familiar with the UNIX find command. This is a very simple way of finding the source of anything - a particular class, some text, markup, etc. The general form I use is:

find /path/to/joomla -exec grep -l 'search-text' {} \;

That basically says 'look for "search-text" in all files below the joomla root", and print the names of those that contain it. You can easily use find to restrict the search to just CSS files, just files that have changed within the last 2 days, etc. It's really very powerful, and will help you understand just how joomla puts things together.

idemsisvoje
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by idemsisvoje » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:17 am

I use cssUpdater to sync css changes which I make in Firebug
Joomla! based webdesign and online marketing.
http://www.riant.sk/web-stranky
http://www.riant.sk/online-marketing

idemsisvoje
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by idemsisvoje » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:22 am

idemsisvoje wrote:I use cssUpdater to sync css changes which I make in Firebug
I almost forgot to mention Firefile extension for Firefox, that used to be the best solution for me, but there were problems with compatibility after each update of Firefox :(
but you can still check it out, maybe they will start updating the extension regularly.
Joomla! based webdesign and online marketing.
http://www.riant.sk/web-stranky
http://www.riant.sk/online-marketing

Flinkly123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Flinkly123 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:40 am

anything new about saving firebug changes on joomla sources files and DB?

Return to “The Lounge”