Jumping into Joomla - need advice

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
71Corvette
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Jumping into Joomla - need advice

Post by 71Corvette » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:38 am

Hey All,

After thinking about it for a long time I've decided to take the plunge and transition my website originally coded years ago using Frontpage (www.corvette-restoration.com) to a CMS system. In the future I also plan to somehow integrate my existing phpBB forum into the website to drive traffic between sites.

My website has a small but fairly devoted following and gets about 5,000 hits per month. I've also successfully monitized the site using Google Adsense. My ultimate goals are to drive more traffic and improve my revenues.

I very much an amateur at this. I'm a self-taught web programmer (not a great one either) with virtually no experience with CMS. Therefore, I expect this will be a pretty big effort for me. However, in the end I think it will be a huge improvement so it's worth my time.

My goals for this redesign include the following:

*Improve overall site appearance and navigation
*Improve site performance on all device types
*Streamline addition of new content
*Improve SEO
*Drive more traffic and improve revenue

Before jumping in headfirst I realize a bit of research is in order. Based on past research I've downloaded and played with Joomla using a WAMP on my PC, viewed various online training videos and have decided this is the platform I'd like to move forward with. I'm also looking into various templates such as this one - http://www.template monster.com/joomla-t ... 44176.html to use as a starting point.

I'm basically looking for the most important pieces of advice people can provide as I get started. What do I need to focus on most to help achieve my goals? What should I give special consideration to? How should I go about making this redesign as smooth and painless as possible? Should I focus only on Joomla 3.x, or are the older 2.x versions still ok to use?

In my original website design I realize I made A LOT of rookie mistakes. I prefer not to make similar mistakes this time around if I can avoid it. Therefore, I'm open to any advice people can provide.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

crly
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Jumping into Joomla - need advice

Post by crly » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:22 am

Hi! Glad to hear you've decided to try out Joomla! CMS. The template you've chosen looks good, however I have not used Template Monster before, but can give you a few tips that might help you along your way ...

1. JOOMLA VERSION
The template product information says that it's compatible with Joomla 2.5.9, which answers your question as to whether you should start on Joomla! 3. The latest version of the Joomla! 2.5 series is version 2.5.17, so given that you're using that particular template I would run with Joomla! 2.5.17.

2. EXTENSIONS
I'm not familiar with all of the extensions (listed as "Features" in the product information for your template), but having briefly looked at your existing site, those extensions should be fine to meet your needs for functionality such as latest news and updates, etc. I personally have different preferences for extensions, so if you do decide you want to investigate other options you should take a look at the Joomla! Extensions Directory (http://extensions.joomla.org/).

3. HOSTING
I didn't look into your current site thoroughly, but just in case, you should make sure your hosting server meets the technical requirements for Joomla! 2.5 at http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html.

4. FORUM INTEGRATION
I noticed you said you have a phpBB forum site and want to inter-link which is great. However, if you're looking to integrate your members as Joomla users you'll need to investigate "bridges" to link your databases. There should be a few extensions that assist with incorporating phpBB latests posts, etc. onto your Joomla site, and possibly bridging, but I can't recommend any as I have not had to do this. My preference is to use Kunena Forum on my Joomla sites, which keeps it all in the one database.

I hope I've helped you rather than confuse you!
Carly

johans
I've been banned!

Post by johans » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:29 am

I suggest you use 2.5.17 - latest version. For sure you will achieved all this.

My goals for this redesign include the following:

*Improve overall site appearance and navigation
*Improve site performance on all device types
*Streamline addition of new content
*Improve SEO
*Drive more traffic and improve revenue

I hope that helps.

Good luck!

71Corvette
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 71Corvette » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:42 am

Thanks for the responses

The template I showed is merely an example of what I'm thinking I want my site to have for appearance and functionality. I'm thinking it may be better to go with version 3.x just because it's the most recent, but I'm still digging into it. I still have lots of research to do with respect to extensions, etc. I recognize the challenges associated with bridging the website and forum which is why I'm deferring that for now.

I have verified my web host will work with Joomla so that's one think I can check of the list.

Return to “The Lounge”