Need Help - Hurricane Katrina Scripting-Please

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.

What domain do you like?

dsphone.org (dsphone.com)
85%
dspp.org
8%
other
8%

Total votes: 13

Peter Koch
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Need Help - Hurricane Katrina Scripting-Please

Post by Peter Koch » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:35 am

scott717 wrote: Go to the patients pulldown, and click on new.  Click on the tabs.  This program is very rudimentary, I have a client that is a board certified pediatrician, I'll ask what else should be there.
I suggest to better ask him what we can ommit. Do you really need drivers license, billing modes, martial status in this disaster situation?

Make printscreens of the tabs and cross out everything not urgently needed for life saving, and add what may be missing.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott717
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by scott717 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:41 am

No we won't, but before I say we will omit from the demo I pointed you to, give me some more time, and I'll show you a much more realistic medical record program.  Working on it now.

Go to bed, you can read about it when you wake up.

joncutrer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joncutrer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:04 am

I’ll try to restate some of our goals and also define what addition help we need at this point.  Please feel free to modify this or add to the list of needs.

Our efforts exist at http://www.disastersearch.org/ and here is what we are trying to accomplish.

- Unified central name database – A list of missing person but also survivors and relocated refugees.  We are working to merge records for various scattered name lists and databases such as those that exist at msnbc.com, nola.com, etc.

- Medical records system – This would be used by triage doctors as they treat patients at the Astrodome and various other places.

- Shelter database - A listing of shelters that will advertise their capabilities and needs for food, beverage, etc.

…and at lower priority the following…

- Morgue list – A list of identified and unidentified bodies.

- Aid forms database - A document library of government aid forms.

- Refugee Job Board – A way to get them back in the system to receive new jobs.

- Refugee Forum – To communicate with family.

Resource Link database -  A directory of links to important aid sites.

We have a number of volunteers working the project in various ways.

- Some have been in contact with FEMA and a few Congressmen trying to get a voice behind the website.

- Others have been in contact with EV1 trying to get server power and bandwidth for the website.

- Several are working on the Name and Shelter database.

In my eyes here is what we need from volunteers at this point.

- Someone to find, install, and test a good medical records application like freemed or similar.

- Someone to install, setup, moderate a phpBB forum(or something similar).

- A publicist with good writing skills to write news at disastersearch.org and prepare press releases for CNN and others.

- Someone to install and begin creating the Resource link directory, maybe with the Bookmarks 2.x component.  This person would need to create a directories structure that is easy to navigate.  Djesus, want to help out with this?

- An internet promotion coordinator to get the word out to other internet sites and companies so that they may link back to use or place one of our new banners on their website(s).

- Anyone that has political or corporate connections to help us out.

- And once the databases are ready, People out in the refugee shelters and at bus pickups/dropoffs to encourage the use of the database by volunteers and doctors to register people as they are check in/out or treated.

Everybody please fill in the blanks or correct me on anything I said wrong.

Thanks for everyone’s help so far!!!

scott717
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by scott717 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:12 am

OK,

I think what I am going to do is use another medical program that will be stand alone.  I found the one I was looking for, and will get it configured on the server.  They will have to re-enter data, but it's a small price to pay to have the medical coordination it can provide.  It's really well done, made to run a hospital, and covers just about every medical dicipline.  It's damn good.  I'll show it off when it's configured.  It'll be a software that you should all be able to utilize to make money with. 

GREAT LIST!!!

Let's attack the other issues.  The medical is done.  I have to stop for today, but will be back in the morning.  Incredible job everyone.  We're farther than I ever expected we'd get in a day.
Last edited by scott717 on Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Koch
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Peter Koch » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:24 am

Signing off for now and creeping into bed. It's 5:20 in the morning here and I need a cup' of sleep.

CU

joncutrer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joncutrer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:18 am

I have installed the bookmarks component and created the 'Resource Directory' (Name subject to change) at  http://www.disastersearch.org.  I created a couple of starter categories and links.  Everyone is encouraged to help out by adding links and suggesting categories.  Submissions are moderated so they will not show right away.

I will also be installing the bookmarks searchbot and contentbot shortly.

Thanks!

joncutrer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joncutrer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:32 am

I have recruited the help of the following two people.  They are here to help with proof reading on the website as well as the following...

Krislynn Robison (My Fiancée) - She will be working to create a definitive list of donation links, phone numbers, and mailing addresses at http://disastersearch.org/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=37.

Karen Cutrer (My Sister) - She will begin creating the link directory, adding links and updating the Important Numbers page with most emergency phone numbers for people that are in trouble or need rescue. http://disastersearch.org/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=36 and http://disastersearch.org/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=35

Peter Koch
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Peter Koch » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:19 am

Great work Jon!

We should set ourself a schedule when to go public. It cannot be perferct from the start, but every minute counts.

Could you for that time prepare to compile a new set of person lists to import?

Are there any other lists besides churchofthe.net, MSNBC (missing/safe), and CNN (safe) I should make import programs for?

joncutrer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joncutrer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:16 am

I have completed creation of the disastersearch module and now need a few beta testers.  The module is running at http://www.disastersearch.org/ but would like if a few people install it on their own website or test site.

If anyone is interested in beta testing for me please download the module here.
http://www.pronique.com/component/optio ... Itemid,26/

mod_Disastersearch is a module to add a search form on your website for the missing persons database at http://www.disastersearch.org website.

Thanks

joncutrer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joncutrer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:25 am

Peter Koch wrote: Great work Jon!

We should set ourself a schedule when to go public. It cannot be perferct from the start, but every minute counts.

Could you for that time prepare to compile a new set of person lists to import?

Are there any other lists besides churchofthe.net, MSNBC (missing/safe), and CNN (safe) I should make import programs for?

I will get a few people on rounding up lists if you will let me know what format you need the lists in.  Please be specific.

Or, When you say import scripts are you pulling the data directly from their HTML code?

guider
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by guider » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:36 am

Maybe this can help for anything press related, please put in details.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - September 3rd, 2005.

Every time a disaster happens there’s one goal for all people who lost contact – to regain it. Numerous lists exist at numerous places. Disastersearch.org tries to unify most of those lists. From now on it’s possible to get registered into a global system when you’re at a refugee camp, are wondering weather this camp is in need of supplies, or if you’re a doctor looking for quick medical data other family might upload. Everyone with an Internet connection can look into this huge resource of information.

Databases from CNN.com, MSNBC.com, Nola.com and others were brought together to create the largest refugee-related database on the planet. Lead developer behind the technical aspects of this task is Peter Koch, known for his programming work as a developer for the Content Management System named Joomla. He and other members of this very board openly responded to the call of (JayDee&Scott full names please). Within a few hours, the website was put up and is being further enhanced as you read this. The database system is ready for usage.

The team behind this project felt the need to step in when hurricane Katrina’s help efforts got handled in a very unstructured way. Team members picked a task varying from the technical setup, promotion with local authorities, developing communication tools to gathering information to put on the Distastersearch.org website. Together there’s one goal; helping as much people as possible. Both in the days after Katrina and during every other major disaster the earth faces.

Visit http://www.disastersearch.org for uploading information, searching for refugees and to get publicity tools for promotional activities.

***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed ********** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****___

BELOW THIS LINE NOT FOR PUBLICATION

Press questions can be emailed to [email protected]. Please allow some time for a response. If you’re in the Houston/Texas area, email [email protected] or call (John Doe) at 0000000000 for a personal interview.
Please read it and correct where wrong. I figured it would be nice to have family members upload that for instance John Doe has diabetes and bloodtype X. I'm not sure if the system allows for this way of inserting information, it can be saving a life I think. Also, I suggest including a disclaimer page that says all submitted medical information is made public to allow for maximum response. Because, how can you tell if somebody logging in is a medical expert? If this could be checked (I doubt it) then the information could be disclosed to that group only. I'm no lawyer so perhaps the medical part should be considered by authorised parties.

Ofcoarse only release the Press release when the medical system is confirmed.

Peter Koch
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Peter Koch » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:40 am

joncutrer wrote: I will get a few people on rounding up lists if you will let me know what format you need the lists in.  Please be specific.
Or, When you say import scripts are you pulling the data directly from their HTML code?
I have a program to upload and read in files, where the type/layout of the records can be selected. I saved the three tables from your excel file as 3 individual csv files before importing. So far I have these 3 layouts:

CSV (semicolon separated):MSNBC missing:  Lastname,Firstname;City,State;Message

CSV (semicolon separated):MSNBC safe list: Lastname,Firstname;City,State;Message

CSV (semicolon separated):CNN safe list: Lastname;Firstname;City;State;Status

I can easy add other variations of the lists, if only they are in a flat file with some minimal structuring.

The minimum structure requirements are:

- Name
- Is that person missing or safe

But please give me all information available in the original lists, so I can make the best out of it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

joncutrer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joncutrer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:12 am

OK, here is who I would like to handle the list work.

Anybody that is willing to help please submit links of any know missing persons lists(large or small) to the Resource Directory category Survivor and Missing Person Databases found here...
http://www.disastersearch.org/index.php ... =0&search=*

Karen will moderate and approve these links as they are submitted.

Once we have a good list of sites we can split and assign the work load to a number of people.  Any persons willing to help, please read the above posting for import requirements.  As Peter noted, he is flexible on format but try to stick with one he has already mentioned.

Hint: I created the first import files in excel by a simply copy and paste from MSNBC's list.   Peter then exported from excel as a CSV file.

Something like this is not going to be as easy with importing names from forums such as http://www.nola.com/forums/searching/in ... itial=true.  We are just going to need more manpower.

Calling any and all! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help out with this in any way you can!  It would be great if any moderators or Core Members could spread the word about this project and task.
Last edited by joncutrer on Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

joncutrer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joncutrer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:17 am

guider wrote: Maybe this can help for anything press related, please put in details.
Thank you! that is great! I'll have Krislynn and Karen proof read.

konlong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by konlong » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:29 am

JB at mambosolutions sent me a skype mssg about all this &  said that you might have use for my member access levels component.  I would like to offer my abilities to this effort, I just need a little guidance to get started.

John Long
Newark, Delaware
Last edited by konlong on Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

joncutrer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joncutrer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:34 am

konlong wrote: JB at mambosolutions sent me a skype mssg about all this &  said that you might have use for my member access levels component.  I would like to offer my abilities to this effort, I just need a little guidance to get started.

John Long
Newark, Delaware
Email me at joncutrer AT gmail DOT com for access info.  I'll let Scott or Peter fill you in on what needs to be accomplished with permissions.

joncutrer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joncutrer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:40 am

Anyone willing to tackle the setup or make recommendation for discussion board at disastersearch.org? 

I see that this forum is SMF, is that the best way to go?

I would prefer to setup at forum.disastersearch.org for scalablity reasons.

I would like the mambo users and forum users to be unified.  I assume that is what SMF Bridge is for, is that correct?

guider
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by guider » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:49 am

Correct, get SMF and the Bridge. It will get you a new registration page and a new login module. The setup is easy. Do make sure you use seperate databases. One for Mambo and one for SMF.
Last edited by guider on Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Koch
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Peter Koch » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:59 am

joncutrer wrote: Something like this is not going to be as easy with importing names from forums such as http://www.nola.com/forums/searching/in ... true.  We are just going to need more manpower.

Calling any and all! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help out with this in any way you can!  It would be great if any moderators or Core Members could spread the word about this project and task.
Try getting support from the site admins with all the various lists, even if you can cut/past the data yourself. We should get them on board to link back to the central repository instead of continuing individual lists after disastersearch.org goes public.

joncutrer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joncutrer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:46 am

konlong wrote: JB at mambosolutions sent me a skype mssg about all this &  said that you might have use for my member access levels component.  I would like to offer my abilities to this effort, I just need a little guidance to get started.

John Long
Newark, Delaware
John has communicated to me that he will be creating a mambot  based on the already created disastersearch module.  Sites may use such a mambot to embed a search form in the content area of their' website.

guider
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by guider » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:49 am

After the Forum is setup it would be nice to have a Press/Promotion page on distastersearch.org. There could be the press release, banners and the module&mambot.

joomlasolutions_JB
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joomlasolutions_JB » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:58 am

I have submitted our news and I skyped with Andrew Eddie just now, who has published the news. He also mentioned that while he himself is strapped for time currently, he asked what kind of coder help do we still need...said he knows a couple people that owe him favors.

http://www.joomla.org/content/blogcategory/0/33/

I will also try to sumbit to news.mamboserver.com
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joomla! Template Shop www.joomlathemes.org

Joomla Template Club
templateclub.mambosolutions.com

joncutrer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joncutrer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:30 pm

guider wrote: Correct, get SMF and the Bridge. It will get you a new registration page and a new login module. The setup is easy. Do make sure you use seperate databases. One for Mambo and one for SMF.
I took a few minutes to setup the subdomain forums.disastersearch.org and tried a Fantastico install of SMF with no luck.  See my results here http://forum.disastersearch.org/.  If anyone has some experince SMF and would like to install it, please email me for access. joncutrer AT gmail DOT com

guider
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by guider » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:34 pm

Email dispatched.

joncutrer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by joncutrer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:54 pm

I'm going to take a break for a few hours.  Everybody keep up the good work!

wisecounselor
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wisecounselor » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:38 pm

Hi, I'm a PHP developer with previous Mambo support/dev.  I can write well, design/develop database apps, etc.  I'm in Birmingham, Alabama, quite close to a lot of this.

If I can help please let me know.

brian at n2solvingproblems dot com

joomlasolutions_JB
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joomlasolutions_JB » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:41 pm

CNN is announcing that people can go to http://www.redcross.org to search for missing relatives. i checked it out and it has a link to the ICRC to a list and registration options.

http://www.familylinks.icrc.org/katrina/locate

Not sure what i am getting at here, but it seems to me that we need to open this site reak quick like, or its going to be obsolete for this situation. There are already 'people search' databases that are getting used. What is going to make ours different and what will make people aware of it?

Just asking the tough questions. I am behind this 100%

What are our criteria of thiings to have functioning on this site before we go live?

Joomla Template Club

JayDee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JayDee » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:50 pm

Anyway we could get that MSN and CNN sql injection of names over at COTN? We are still seeing a constant flow of people searching here too...

Thanks,
Jay - http://www.churchofthe.net
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's all about the bean ... no, no, the COFFEE Bean!

joomlasolutions_JB
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joomlasolutions_JB » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:59 pm

guider wrote: After the Forum is setup it would be nice to have a Press/Promotion page on distastersearch.org. There could be the press release, banners and the module&mambot.
agreed. I was just trying to login to the site admin to work on the banners code but the site is offline right now. Anybody know why?

Joomla Template Club

Peter Koch
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Peter Koch » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:05 pm

Just returned from a short break, I also have no idea why it is offline.

Looks as if the database is not available. I will try to figure out whats going on.

Return to “The Lounge”