Drupal Vs Joomla (where Joomla Fails and Major Drawbacks: A discussion )

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
rickb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Drupal Vs Joomla (where Joomla Fails and Major Drawbacks: A discussion )

Post by rickb » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:37 am

addihetja wrote: So far in this discussion nobody has mentioned ez publish. Is it no good?
It is very good to have seasoned users give comparitive feedback - this helps to qualify their argument.

ezPublish does not seem to have their templates in the Demo working for Firefox / Mozilla. Did not try with IE.

Rick

sastian
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sastian » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:55 am

actually I'm running drupal on my current site as of last week. I made the switch from joomla because i was tired of waiting for a wordpress integration or importing solution. Drupal had it. hopefully i can switch back to joomla if it ever gains the ability to accept a drupal convert.  this was where wordpress shined in the past. the inlets and outlets for data. IMHO, what will put a CMS on top of the heap is creating inroads. allow someone to import data from most any other db or xml file. moveable type was good at this too if i remember correctly. I'll still use joomla for client site cause its fast and easy... it just didn't work for my 5 year old blog. and i didn't want to wait around for six months to finish my site.

anyway.. my experiences:

Joomla:

installs takes the silver medal (wordpress still wins for its famous one step install) super easy though.

where this cms shines is upgrades/add-ons. usually just upload a zip and it installs itself

themeing is simple

beautiful backend although it takes a bit to understand. I'm still not sure i understand the need for all the types

id turn a client loose with it in a heartbeat.

needs better permissions structure.

still needs import modules or "inroads" for others to make the switch.

Drupal:

a much more "hands on installation experience. took me about an hour to et it all working. and I'm still tweaking it.

seems like most modules have the same steep install requirements. usually have to patch the db manually to get a module to work

haven't delved into themes/templates yet.

backend is simple but but not segregated as it is in joomla. kinda lacks a interface. more of a really long menu on the same site.

not so sure id be comfortable turning most clientsloose with the admininterface. still a bit steeper learning curve

permissions structure and most other technical "widgets" are superior.

better inroads form other data sources

teamsand
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by teamsand » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:52 am

I just went through the same thing, was using wordpress for a few months, switched over to joomla then drupal.

Ill try and keep it simple since ive tried all 3 but not extensively,

wordpress--- awesome community, generates a good amount of plug-ins that will rival most cms's very soon,  the buggy will be able to race the ferrari in a few more version releases/years. Easy as cake to install and edit on the fly, great interface, lot options, good templates. The main drawback for me was the way it handled users and creating a community, though they are improving this, and the fact its multi-blog is not supported yet. Some of the template code is also a tad messy and requires a lot of custom work if you dont want an out of the box solution. Overall a very well done app and its actually fun to use, imagine that.

drupal-- solid foundation, easy install took me 5 minutes with phpmyadmin, really great user control and a ton modules to support pretty much anything you ever want, decent backend but will take a while to figure out, its works very differantly from anything else as it treats everything as "nodes", very customizable code but steep curve, integrates very well with other php applications. Bloody awful themes, awful css/theme how-to and no design community at all, you can tell these guys concentrate on code I think besides the buggy wordpress theme generator for drupal, theres like 20 templates released in last few years, none very good. This was a major downfall for me as Im doing a project alone on my spare time and don't have the resources to build a badly documented template from scratch. If you have money for a designer or love css/php this is a very solid.

joomla---nice flashy interface... seemed like overkill though, good community, easy as pie to customize, good integration with other stuffs from mambo mainly:) , solid add-ons and easy to use, I used joomla the least of the 3 to be honest, I liked it and all and might try it again but nothing stands out as super amazing or particulary bad, it has way better user functions than wp but nothing close to drupal, kinda in middle of road. Seemed out of the box really geared towrds news sites, makes heavy content and advertising a snap.

overall theres still nothing out there thats really the best, they all do differant things, my dream cms would be:

textpattern:style options and nice front end code
wordpress: blogging and seemless backend
drupal: community builder, user managment, expandability
joomla: hrm I think I covered it all.. but it does do all of those and atm might be best option.
Last edited by teamsand on Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

keymaster
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by keymaster » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:15 pm

Not many people have mentioned the extrinsic reasons for choosing one over the other.

For example, if one had a need for ecommerce together with a cms, one might pick Joomla, as VirtueMart is superior to Drupal's ecommerce component. Or, if one needed a strong industrial class forum, one might choose Joomla for it's SMF integration. If one needed a super strong, active and friendly support community, Joomla again has to take the cake.

If one had a need for a help desk, one might pick XOOPS as xHelp is almost as good as a professional helpdesk, and is fully integrated into XOOPS. Also, if one wanted users to be able to manage static html pages and be able to manage menus and menu items from the front end, XOOPS might be your choice. XOOPS also excels at granular user permissions. So, if you wanted to set up different levels of admin groups or user groups, XOOPS gives great granularity.

If one needed multisite, distributed blogging and community building, Drupal might be best.

.. and so it goes. So a valid approach might be to not start with a CMS's technical capabilities/limitations, rather start with what your major requirements are and see which, at the present time, best satisfies those requirements.

BTW, this has to be one of the best threads on the subject. Keep it up! 

scruffy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by scruffy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:46 am

By Jingo!

what a useful thread you started.

i have looked at a number of opensource cms, including ezpublish (a damn nightmare), mambo, plone (ok if you can install python) and so far drupal has come out on top just because its so versatile and simple - we have an intranet and approximately 5000 users and about 70 updaters who used to use frontpage to make different looking departmental sites, the transition was smooth and now we have as many updaters as we want with no frontpage needed, also we have complete control of the templates used so we have a consistent corporate look.

i would think that if you are capable of writing css and brave enough to get your hands dirty, drupal can be made to look however you want, and after 5 years development, there is a massive support network behind you if you get stuck.

i was thinking about trying joomla, mainly because it looked pretty - i still might try it just to form my own opinion, but your pros and cons comparison has been a big help - thankyou.

rickb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rickb » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:41 pm

keymaster wrote: Not many people have mentioned the extrinsic reasons for choosing one over the other.

For example, if one had a need for ecommerce together with a cms, one might pick Joomla, as VirtueMart is superior to Drupal's ecommerce component. Or, if one needed a strong industrial class forum, one might choose Joomla for it's SMF integration. If one needed a super strong, active and friendly support community, Joomla again has to take the cake.

If one had a need for a help desk, one might pick XOOPS as xHelp is almost as good as a professional helpdesk, and is fully integrated into XOOPS. Also, if one wanted users to be able to manage static html pages and be able to manage menus and menu items from the front end, XOOPS might be your choice. XOOPS also excels at granular user permissions. So, if you wanted to set up different levels of admin groups or user groups, XOOPS gives great granularity.

If one needed multisite, distributed blogging and community building, Drupal might be best.

.. and so it goes. So a valid approach might be to not start with a CMS's technical capabilities/limitations, rather start with what your major requirements are and see which, at the present time, best satisfies those requirements.

BTW, this has to be one of the best threads on the subject. Keep it up! 
KeyMaster - this is one of the most useful post in this thread for me. Like choosing a car or a tool - we must ask, "What is the intended use?"

A - How many well actually use multi-sites?
B - Are you a non-profit that straps you into waring most of the hats and you are not a programmer?
C - Does the need of MyAccount or MySpace a requirement? This allows each member to see pertinent information like: Invoicing / balances, personal calendar, myHelp Tickets, MyBookmarks, My Favorites.
D - A full range of pre-made modules that will well serve you needs?
E - A responsive community for assistance?
F - Easy to embed media objects as you would text?
G - Easy to install or un-install modules at a click of the mouse?
H - The ability to receive support by contract?
I -  Muliti-lingual?
J - Understand the benefits and the long term dis-advantages of hacks?
K - Know your targeted market or your client's profiles - will they need feature and functionality of Drupal or Joomla for instance?
L - Are you primarily a content provider trying to find a CMS for your site?

There may be possibly more questions but we all need to ask ourselves - when each CMS has it drawbacks. Which CMS will allow me and me alone to be empowered to do the task which are needed? If you find someone else to help you - that will be like a bonus - but do not depend on it.

The other way is to hire someone based upon your requirements. Hiring others may leave you out of knowing how to admin or to construct needed task.

Here are my recommendations based upon the profile of class of user / developer:

The need for rapid setup and the plugging in of modules that really work nicely - Xoops

Pros:
1 - Rapid setup and easy module admin - you may plug in or plug out instantly with no problems to data integrity
2 - Embedded media like Flash and Quicktime
3 - Can work with groups or individuals. Say for instance - you want to create a private discussion, you can invite a group or a single member. To have both filters is great and most needed.
4 - Muliti-Lingual support
5 - Has it own forum modules - at which you may embed media as you would text
6 - Through the use of a backup module you may choose to backup: data/ tables / structure or a complete backup right to your desktop. Of course you can backup automatically via crone.
7 - XoopsCube (a fork of Xoops) is now positioned itself for better core development with a great roadmap, a dedicated / well managed team.

Cons :
! - Generally a non-responsive community with many good questions with no replies
2- Security is still an issue
3 - No ability for a MyAccount or MySpace. The core does not allow this.
4 - Development cycles are very long
5 - No muliti-site ability
6 - Core development roadmap is not clear - and it seems like they may have to roll back some of the development in the lastest version
7 - Talented core and module developers have left Xoops development

I am not really qualified to speak on Joomla but wanted to make some statements. I may be incorrect but this is my opinion and will happy to be corrected.

Joomla Pros:
A - One of the most responsive and helpful communities every brought together - ever !
B - Aggressive core developers that seem to have a clear vision
C- Great aesthetic layout for finished ready-to-publish pages
E - Good documentation

Cons
A - Stability and Security issues still exist - the use of HTML text editors does not help this situation
B - Hard to understand plugging in modules that need to be uploaded and made active
C - Difficult in embedding media objects like Flash as you would text
E - Usually out of reach for a content provider
F - Does not have in its core - the ability to add a My Account or MySpace

Con: for Drupal

A - Can not manage individual members - if you want an individual to have certain writes, you must give that individual a group name. It is most strange that the core assigns a member ID but you can not do anything with permissions with that member ID. The member is not an entity - they are all lumped in as a group.

----------------

My organization is running dual projects - one with Xoops and the other with Drupal. The cost of development with Drupal is extreme. Things that you take for granted and are very simple to do with Xoops will be laborious in Drupal and will cost you dearly. If your needs are of industrial  strength and you must have mult-sites - than Drupal is a possible candidate.

I would define Drupal as great ready-made framework which  everything which sits on top needs to be modified and /or customized.

Rick
Last edited by rickb on Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:28 pm

I have been using Joomla for about a year now, and love every min of it... That said, I have been looking into several CMS's for a major project I have been working on (I am prob going to be using 3 or 4 of them).  I have looked into pretty much every major CMS out there, and for what I want to do, Joomla seems to be number 1.  I NEED multi-site capability (the whole premise of the project), and Joomla isn't that hard to modify (I did it already actually).  The main reason Joomla seems #1 is the fact that it's easy to administrate.  I am also going to be using Drupal and Xoops for other parts of the site, but Joomla will be the flagship of it.  I am waiting for 1.5 to come out to take the project into full gear, and get it online.  Once that gets going, I will get the Joomla end up, and then the Drupal and Xoops.  I really like the way Joomla handled the Multi-site mod (as I only needed to modify 3 lines of 5 files, and add 1 file + site configs).  And the way I coded it really didn't open any security holes as far as I could tell (As in if you type in aaa.www.com you get site a no matter what).
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

teamsand
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by teamsand » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:58 pm

I dont agree with the smf referance for joomla since its not really open source , I also prefer the drupal forum or phpbb which can fit into most cms's. After using these for a while I've come to a simple realization, for a large fully customized site with extensive controls  that runs great it's worth learning drupal. For something that you can learn in few hours and still run great joomla is it. I dont think iv spend more than a few hours tinkering with joomla code, it just works out of the box. Two differant cars that will get you to the finish line but will react differently depending on the conditions.

trippe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trippe » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:40 pm

i just installed joomla on a new server. it's running slow. not sure if it's the new server (doubt it) or joomla. Does Joomla bog down a server when you're getting a lot of traffic? Memory? Is Drupal easier on servers?

rickb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rickb » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:58 pm

trippe wrote: i just installed joomla on a new server. it's running slow. not sure if it's the new server (doubt it) or joomla. Does Joomla bog down a server when you're getting a lot of traffic? Memory? Is Drupal easier on servers?
Now let us review what you've just asked.

A - You just installed Joomla on a new server

B - Joomla is running slow and doubt it is the new server

C - Joomla.org has many simultaneous sessions and request- The forum mod is being managed by Joomla.

How are you doubing that your new server or how you've setup Joomla has little to do with performance - when you are on a Joomla site?

Rick
Last edited by rickb on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trippe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by trippe » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:09 pm

good point... i'm on a dedicated machine and am somewhat new to server admin. Not to change the subject of this topic, but anyone mind pointing me in a direction so i can figure out what's wrong with this server. like how to determine what's making it slow and how to improve the situation... hosting with mediatemple and i assume that their machines are good. weird.

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:41 am

Multisites would not be too hard to implement in Joomla really...there are already a few hacks that do it but it could easily be made part of the core...Including a single userbase for all the sites...

Simply remove the use of a prefix in the DB read and writes for users and use different prefixes for the other content and settings data.

You would need some added code to the backend to select which siite you were working on and you would need some way to set up alias' on the server...

You would simply install Joomla to one location that all sites read as an alias in it's folder and which has it's own config...

Same DB, Same users, same components available to every site...
One upgrade location to upgrade every site and you have multisites!

ACL is on the way as is PTTemps which will really add some major felxibility to how your site and content can look...

What more do you need?

LOL

livingegg
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by livingegg » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:02 pm

Like a lot of people here I went through the process of comparing several popular CMS. I am not a web developer (i'm a designer), so I don't know exactly what makes one system better than another, but I do know that back in the days when I was using phpNuke, I found the administration a lot more intuitive than joomla, and likewise i would assume that any other cms based off of phpnuke administration would also be the easiest to get started on, but not necessarily the best thing to use in the long run!

Joomla is very learnable though, i've got a handle on some of the main concepts in less than a week (as opposed to a day, with nuke), but i'm certainly not a power user. To me, the administration features in joomla seem to be unnecissarily complicated, but then again I do not know anything about the type of programming that might necessitate such complications. I do find it very functional though, after spending more time to learn it.

Ultimately I needed to justify a time investement, mastering a CMS, and my decision to go with Joomla was based on:

1) The impression that this CMS was going to be around for a very long time, and would continue to improve (good core team)
2) A VERY active community of users (I tested forum responsiveness on several CMS boards simultaneously)
      (by they way, i found the responsiveness on the SMF boards to be the best i've EVER encountered)
3) A large pool of third-party components available (and the number keeps growing)
4) As a web-designer (not a developer) - this was a system I could actually do something with, and relatively quickly

and I am not even sure if this last point is accurate or not, but
5) I got the impression that Joomla was one of the best CMS to use if you place a high value on the aesthetics, and one of the easiest systems to create custom/graphical templates for. (Plus there were some GREAT tutorials available on how to do this)

I still havn't figured out how to include graphical-rollover menus, etc. into joomla itself, but it was very EASY none-the-less to simply hard-code them into the template.

I'm very excited about joomla, and it only gets better and better the more I learn. I'm very thankful for all the people who spend their time on these boards helping others and putting together good documentation. As I learn more i'll be sure to keep stopping by to help out the ones who are just getting started!
Last edited by livingegg on Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't follow the lights..."  -golem

cylent
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by cylent » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:50 am

Drupal is "Yucky"

I tried it once and got annoyed by how its organized ...
I know about the fact you can setup multiple sites with one installation. Big whoop!

Try to work with the themes or the backend. Drama.

and basically i'll sum it up with: I dont like it even though iam gonna go back and check out if they made any new improvements.

just my .2 cents.
preparing is not cheating.

teamsand
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by teamsand » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:54 am

:laugh:

"yucky" lol , drupal is and will always focus on the code over the design, thats what makes it such a solid cms and why it deters people *cough joomla* who prefer 1 step installs and pretty graphics.

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:18 am

Then again what good is the code if the site looks like crap?

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:35 am

Run this - and do the compare to another CMS site. pretty telling.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traff ... la.org#top

cylent
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by cylent » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:36 am

Thats kinda like saying Linux is bad because the developers focus on the code.
Linux in this example being PHP
and Gentoo (a ditrubution) is the CMS -- whether it be drupal or joomla

So Drupal sucks but Php is all might and power
or
Joomla Rules and PHP also rules.
preparing is not cheating.

teamsand
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by teamsand » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:49 pm

No it isnt, have you even tried both of them out? how about extensivly?, that php comparision is way off and not exactly a review, most cars use gasoline do they all drive the same??
Alexa is also hardly a good measure, did you know that drupal does not pack with a "powered by drupal" in any of the code unlike most cms's, they don't care about stuff like that, a better way is to do a footprint search on google if you want to see numbers, but even then most drupal sites dont even have footprints. Im not saying one is better than the other, but they are different, and there are some pretty good points above in this thread as to why. I am currently using joomla myself on a site because it just so damn simple to use and get things working on, but Im building another site in drupal because I don't like the way joomla handles the requirements.

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:02 pm

teamsand wrote: Alexa is also hardly a good measure, did you know that drupal does not pack with a "powered by drupal" in any of the code unlike most cms's
@teamsand - it simply measures Internet traffic to a website. Deducing what that means is probably a difficult thing.  But, it has nothing to do with "powered by" tags! lol It is just Internet traffic to the domain.

Carry on -- good discussion and points. I like the positive spirit, as well!

vinnydarat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vinnydarat » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:28 pm

What a great thread.

I am relatively new to Joomla and found it to be awesome. The main reasons are:

1) The support community. I don't think i have ever seen a question go unanswered for too long (even the dumb questions.....lol) It's also great to see that even the newbies (like myself) love to try and help out.

2) The good quality templates. I am a designer primarily (get a little lost in the code sometimes) and the look is one of the more important features. I want a good quality, professional looking site without having to re-invent the wheel. I have found the templates very easy to modify to give a more unique and individual look to.

3) Good quality modules and addons (although i have yet to find a good solution for an online booking system for seminars....lol).

Although, i must admit, i have not really looked into any of the other CMS's, just wanted to add my 2cents worth.

rwelti
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rwelti » Fri May 12, 2006 6:12 pm

Try Drupal. 

I've looked at about 5 recently and at the moment I'm sold on Drupal.

The following may sound anti-Joomla, but let me be clear that I applaud and support all people who devote their own precious time volunteering on an open source project, and Joomla has a very bright, enthusiastic core set of developers who are kind and generous folks. Joomla has strong points for those who are not programmers and want a very quick website with nice eye-candy!

• mature, stable, well-documented code, version is 4.7 not 1.0.8,

•  sensible architecture, consistent variable names, file extensions, directory naming schemes, etc.

• no  "mambots" or silly names (mambot = a fembot with large mammaries?)

• larger numberr of more mature developers

• same essential feature set and plugins, etc. ,

• lots of detailed help with good examples on the web site (try getting clear Joomla help!),

• harmony in the ranks (I exchanged email with a disillusioned Joomla developer who implied there is a rift
      growing inside Joomla, and Joomla itself is the product of a bitter split with Mambo!)

• multilingual is ready and working NOW (Joomla requires you to make your OWN translation file! I asked for
      another language and was told basically to create the translation myself)  Drupal uses standard ".po" files
      for translation and there are like a dozen or more available, with about 3,000 translated phrases in each
      one.  Each user can have the site in their own chosen language, in case that is not clear. I downloaded
      and installed German, French, Dutch, Spanish and Chinese all in 1/2 hour and verified they worked.
      [Email me for screensnaps of my site in these languages, each in a different skin]

• multiple sites one codebase NOW (Joomla with plugin?)

• excellent support for posting from desktop CMS/blogging clients

• snappy server response (Joomla, as localhost:// on own desktop Apache server, STILL slow responses!)
     this is a *big* deal because w/Joomla I never wanted to experiment because it took like
     5 seconds to see the results! w/Drupal I try and learn  lots of stuff, snap, snap, snap

• although not as many attractive themes out of the box for Drupal, I found like 20 themes that look nice and can be
     used as starting points for building others

and more...

I have put Drupal through a mean set of tests and cannot find fault yet. In two long days of effort I am getting quite  proficient and fast. My confidence that I am not wasting my time has not been broken (yet!). As a middle-aged "programmer" geek, I know what it means to have wasted time and then bagged it and started over with another tool.

RWelti

rwelti @att yahoo.com if you care to reach me
Last edited by rwelti on Fri May 12, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imago
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Imago » Fri May 12, 2006 7:02 pm

Drupal is overrationalized, to such a degree that one can be virtually lost in taxonomy and ontology games. If you want something sophisticated and highly customizable - go for Drupal; if you need practical application and "use me on the fly" coms, go for the Mambo/Jumbo. I didn't see a dating, or a RE site, classifieds or decent e-Commerce on Drupal (except for the one provided by MBR).

Multisites? - If you need them on subdomains, OpenSEF provides them in a moment (only add an A entry in your DNS zone, and a *.mydomen.dom in your VHost aliases).

E-Journals? - The Drupal ported OJS has almost nothing to do with the original.

The only thing Drupal is very good at, is aggregating full-text blog postings from third parties and presenting them as incorporated nodes. Plus Flexinode, Organic Groups, and the multifunctional role access.

In short, an academic RPG with a big learning curve.
Prof. Dr. Plamen Gradinarov - CEO and Founder, Eurasia Ltd

gravenimagestudio
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gravenimagestudio » Mon May 15, 2006 3:47 pm

wow. I just read this whole thread and although I feel like I've learned much...I'm still somewhat confused.

I am looking to set up a website and I need to select the right CMS for the job. I have used Joomla for several sites but I just don't think it is right for this new concept. Maybe someone could offer some suggestions on a CMS package based on these requirements:

-Image / artwork galleries driven (separated into themes)
-Member registration with profile
-Different membership levels allow different access/features
-Ability to upload original artwork images (for registered members)
-Ability to process payment for higher registration/membership levels (more features/access/etc.)

Based on what I've read above, it sounds like I might need Drupal for the membership levels management. Does anyone have experience using Drupal for image galleries? Or, what about simple eCommerce processes through Drupal?

Would anyone recommend other solutions?

Please advise, thanks!

teamsand
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by teamsand » Tue May 16, 2006 2:46 pm

Drupal has a lot more options when it come to building a community, but that also means you have to do more work to get it the way you want, joomla has faster solutions like community builder and such that you can have up in a few hours.
Both joomla and drupal have all those things you asked about, they also have many differant e-commerce, member managment, photo modules they you would have to evaluate.
As for a gallery it is still one of the features that every cms lacks in terms of being fully fledged and integrated with user managment (drupal comes close)  my advice would be to check out each cms's built in gallery's usually fould in the add-ons or modules section with examples. Both of these cms and many other also have the ability to incorporate image only managment systems like gallery.menalto, coppermine and photopost php, im sure there are a few more but they are worth looking into as well.

dhorn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dhorn » Wed May 17, 2006 9:25 am

To contribute yet another opinion to this interesting discussion -- like many, I'm going back and forth between Joomla and Drupal trying to figure out which one to use. I like them both for different reasons.

Briefly, from an admin user's (not a developer's) perspective:

Joomla's strengths
  • Lots of good components, including integration of proven, popular scripts (e.g. a broad range of forums to choose from).
  • Nice admin interface
  • Easy to get up and running
  • Lots of templates available
  • Good platform for creating community-oriented sites (particularly with Community Builder)
  • Active development and community
Joomla's weaknesses
  • Very limited access control system (this is a MAJOR drawback)
  • Limited, inflexible content model. No way to easily define new content types (this is another MAJOR drawback)
  • Weak metadata features
Drupal's strengths
  • Sophisticated, flexible content model that makes it easy to define new content types (esp. with modules like Flexinode)
  • Strong metadata features (the famous Taxonomy module)
  • Good access control system, especially with the node-level permissions modules like taxonomy_access
  • Organic Groups functionality as it's being developed by Zack Rosen -- though it's not quite there yet, it's going to be very interesting (http://www.zacker.org/magic-groups-screencast).
  • Active development and community
Drupal's weaknesses
  • Lack of some key groupware-type functionality (e.g. a good file repository)
  • Because it has a flexible content model, you can build certain functionality yourself (without programming). However, in some cases you are forced to -- so there's a certain amount of "reinventing the wheel." For example, try finding a good web links module (whereas Joomla has a core component and a couple of third-party links directory modules).
  • Built-in forums are feature-lacking and annoying; no real alternatives. Someone has even created a *fork* of Drupal just to integrate it with vBulletin (vbDrupal -- incompatible with some Drupal modules).
  • Fewer canned templates -- though if you're good with HTML and CSS, it's easy to make a good one.
Drupal really shines as a content management system, and Joomla shines as a community management system. If you need a bit of both, too bad. I should say that Drupal is getting better community features thanks to developments around the CivicSpace distribution.

Imago
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Imago » Wed May 17, 2006 10:30 am

It is too good to be mentioned here. But the learning curve is even longer than with Drupal. And it is short of GPL extension and full of commercial ones. ;)
Xaraya is better.

rickb, Drupal does what you want, except for the second half of p. F

dhorn, Organic Groups are already there. We are using them now 3 months
http://www.yogacara.net/og
Last edited by Imago on Wed May 17, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

rwelti
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rwelti » Wed May 17, 2006 1:07 pm

Well I'm back! I did succeed in finding some weaknesses in Drupal, it just took a while. Now I'm more evenhanded in my asessment probably. My problem came when integrating multiple external modules (components), which is a scenario both Drupal and Joomla have.  I think there is a conflict between two of the 4 modules I added.

And as my experience with Drupal grows I agree with most all I'm reading here. Drupal is the programmer's choice, complex, well-designed, but not as pretty to look at and themes are not as easy to replace. Drupal is more of a CMS and Joomla more the designer's choice, and more of a Community builder.

One person mentioned Admin screens as a Joomla strength, but I still have to disagree. The user management screen of Joomla seems to assume you won't have more than a dozen or two users. You cannot sort users, not on username, not on email, nuthin' .  The Drupal user screen, like most all long lists, all column headers are clickable and when you click it resorts by that column and provides a "triangle" next to column header for changing the sort direction ascending/descending.  A small thing for sure, but it is the many, many touches like that that make me still appreciate Drupal, and again, the quick response time -- being that they are both PHP-based, I wonder why Joomla seems to take so long to cough up the next screen? (It's not server load, this is a dedicated, local Apache serving just myself)

Like many, I plan to keep Joomla in my toolbox and use it for a certain category of site. I would not hold my breath for V 1.5, as I personally feel it will be a while coming and another while getting stabilized.. and main features are internationalization, or so they say.  I would stick to 1.0.8 for the next, oh 6mos to a year.

Cheers from Seattle where this whole week is sunny and 80 degrees!!!

Russ Welti

dhorn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dhorn » Wed May 17, 2006 1:17 pm

@Imago -- I'm aware that the Organic Groups module already exists.  ;)

However Zack Rosen is working on packaging it up with other functionality (see the link I provided above), and in particular with the og2list module (in development) which will provide e-mail to forum functionality. Many groups use e-mail discussion lists but have members that aren't comfortable with being forced to go to forums. This is an important feature for us. I have been unable to determine whether M2F (mail2forum) or CM2F are compatible with Joomla.
Last edited by dhorn on Wed May 17, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imago
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Imago » Wed May 17, 2006 2:10 pm

Neither are they compatible with Drupal, especially the mail feeds. One has to possess total control over the server and even more, to make it work with the listfeed. I personally failed. I understand, most academics (in humanities) can only operate their mail boxes, so fall pray to kind of panic neurosis when having to post publicly on an open forum - especially where there is no premoderation.

I thought there is a mai2forum hack to be used with SMF.

Return to “The Lounge”