Drupal Vs Joomla (where Joomla Fails and Major Drawbacks: A discussion )

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Drupal Vs Joomla (where Joomla Fails and Major Drawbacks: A discussion )

Post by newart » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:34 am

As per your information, up to now all my sites aren't Drupal, anymore. The coming 1.5 is marvelluos and with the help of 3D components I don't feel the need of Drupal. My last site with Drupal is now in J! and I am sure to be a good choise ;)
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

ibnhafsun
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ibnhafsun » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:40 pm

my client wants to know the best CMS system for a site with the following functionalities (verbatim):
Well, it depends. Here are my options:

Robust: Drupal
User friendly: Joomla!
Has pod-casting capability: it depends , but Drupal with the radio station module
blogs: Drupal
classifieds: Joomla! (3PD extensions: mosets tree, marketplace)
e-commerce: Joomla! with Virtuemart
discussion forum: Joomla! with SMF
events calendar: Drupal, with Events and Location, but you have the events extension available.
polls: Joomla!
poles: if you mean language handling, Joomla! with Joomfish.
search engine: Joomla!
capability to process payment: Joomla! with Virtuemart(note: You don´t process the payment, you have payment gateways)
wish list: Drupal

IMHO, I would prefer Joomla!.
...nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses...
http://www.todosjuntos.org
http://inmo-e.com

sean9999
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sean9999 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:37 pm

i am glad i asked about podcasting, because as far as i understood, podasts were simply mp3 files and an XML file that references them. and why would i have to serve them from a different  box? congestion?

could i get away with serving them from the same box if it were a small site?

ibnhafsun
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ibnhafsun » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:06 pm

It depends (again): you should use different servers for live podcasting (ie, a radio station); it´s a question of resources and performance, concurrent users, bandwith, etc, etc, etc...

If you only need to stream small mp3s files, Joomla! will do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/
Last edited by ibnhafsun on Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses...

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:07 pm

Mod note: Post that had entire text of post edited by the poster out was removed from this thread.  The reply pertaining to the content that was edited out by the poster was also removed.

We now direct you back to your regularly scheduled long thread.  :)
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:15 am

PLS read that:

http://www.alledia.com/blog/general_cms ... ht_for_you?/

It seems to me as a good comparison!

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:21 pm

That was a pretty fair comparison....

They gave a tie to external integration but I think it is probably easier to create extentions for Joomla than Drupal...It may be easier to INTEGRATE with other content in Drupal (right now anyway) but just about any PHP program can be plugged into Joomla with little effort especially concerning modules.

But all in all it was a pretty unbiased comparison.
It depends (again): you should use different servers for live podcasting (ie, a radio station); it´s a question of resources and performance, concurrent users, bandwith, etc, etc, etc...
True but a bit over simplified...It's a lot more than just a different server. Server loads are not as important as the bandwidth issue....
If you have two servers hooked up to the same fat pipe (say a T3) it really won't matter much that you have two servers running the different services as they will both be fighting for the same pipe and  that pipe can only give one of them packet priority.

If Live casting is what you want to do then it is most important to have a seperate pipe just for the streaming server and to do it well (no latency) you really need to set up regional peering (multiple servers) each with it's own pipe...

Live streaming is not really practical unless you have a ton of money coming in as the cost for decent streaming can be exorbitant on a monthly basis.

I consult my clients to never stream live unless the the production requires live interaction with the target audience. If your not taking phone calls or interacting with the users it is better to do it as an archived stream which is cheaper and more stable and easier to stream.

tmaiaroto
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tmaiaroto » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:20 am

personally i think they are different enough...

i don't know WHEN i would use drupal....I use Joomla for pretty much everything...but drupal is weird. It's just very different.

i would absolutely not agree with whoever said drupal is more powerful. That's a completely subjective opinion and lie. There is no sufficient research or proof to back that claim up. same goes for joomla being more powerful.

i am a joomla fan. I have first hand seen severe issues that people had with drupal....under EXTREME conditions...I have not seen but probably WILL see joomla put under heavy stress for a project I'm currently working on.

you have to really choose which is right for your project. there is no one magic cms.

all i know is this

#1: Joomla took an award over Drupal
#2: Joomla does in fact have a larger community base and more 3rd party extensions
#3: Joomla seems to be (from what I personally can tell and this is quasi opinion) advancing faster than drupal (more versions, etc.)

#4: Not all CMS' do the same thing...so to compare apples to pears...well yea they are both fruit...but you get the idea.

goodman123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by goodman123 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:25 pm

does joomla support a frontpage like what http://www.ecademy.com has (blocks of articles on the body of the frontpage)? no mambo/jooma site that i visited has such a layout. i tried news_dn, but it did not seem to work.

tmaiaroto
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tmaiaroto » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:11 am

there are several content modules that will allow you to do that.
joomla can really look however you want i've discovered...just sometimes takes a good bit of work.

look into content item or flexcontent, etc. for modules. i forget all the ones there are, but you can display any content item in a block on the front page...or several items...or a list...or intros of several items...or intro of one...or full text... etc. u get the idea.

it should be a standard module with joomla I think..but I can see where it would get crazy and confusing.

goodman123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by goodman123 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:31 am

thanks, it would be great if you could remember the names of those components/modules.

manuman
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by manuman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:30 am

The standard Latest News module does that... simply do multiple instances each pointing to a different category or section.
Shayne Bartlett - Joomla Co-Founder
CTO/Web Architect: Elastik Limited https://elastik.space

goodman123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by goodman123 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:49 pm

it is easy to copy modules obviously. but how to add 20 such modules on the frontpage? how to create positions? the name of the module is not clickable, that is, you can not click it to go to the full list of articles/news. will com_tree do the job?

madhuprasanna
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla vs Drupal

Post by madhuprasanna » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:46 am

Hi,

My intention is not to start a CMS war, but to know the suitability of Joomla for large scale, enterprise level application. We have decided to start our new/first website development in Joomla. Our requirements goes as follows:

1. We will completely customize the front end.
2. We need a CMS mainly for article management. We don't need any portal.
3. We need professional level session management and scalability. We expect about  300,000  users to register and use the site within first year of the launch.[We expect about 1000 hits daily]
4. We expect to publish around 10-15 articles per week. The articles will accumulate over the period of time and we need archival facility.
5. We need fine grained access control to the articles.

I know from Performance section of Joomla forum that, these number are achievable with Joomla. But the following links confused me a lot :-\.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/i ... -osource1/

Also I have used http://www.cmsmatrix.org/ to compare Joomla and Drupal. I am concerned about the following result sections which Joomla is not having, but thats needed in my site.

Security -> Granular access control, Pluggable authentication, SSL compatible
Support -> Test framework
Performance -> Load balancing

There is a general report in other forums that Joomla is not doing well in SEF urls and search engine ranking. And I am now considering both CMSes and would like to know which CMS would suit my requirements.

Regards,
Madhu

duvien
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Joomla vs Drupal

Post by duvien » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:40 am

I think you should check out this post before posting yet another J! vs D: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,4364.0.html

Everyone has their own opinion on which CMS is more suitable for certain types of website. My suggestion is that you should give both a test drive because only that way you can better evaluate and come to a conclusion of which CMS works for YOU. It may take more time but these time spend are crucial and will not be wasted if you are going to stick to either one or both for the forseeable future.

Bottomline is you can only learn so much from other users' opinion but your own experiences will hold more merits. So i would go play with both CMS.

good luck.

P.S. In my opinion, both CMS has a good and stable future to continue to outshine the rest.
Custom website design | blog | tutorials | Photography | Downloads
Freelance Web Designer/Developer: www.duvien.com

madhuprasanna
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madhuprasanna » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:05 am

Sorry for posting without searching.!!

Thanks for the pointer. I will try both and let me know my decision.

Thanks again,
Madhu

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:53 pm

Merging with the other thread on this subject.
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Forsh » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:01 am

I really love using Joomla. THe one things I wish was easier to get working, would be SEO URL's.  :D

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:29 am

THe one things I wish was easier to get working, would be SEO URL's.
J! 1.5 has it!

Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Forsh » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:04 am

Cool! When is that slated for release?

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:54 pm

When it's done!

goodman123
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by goodman123 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:47 pm

if you want to build a website that caters for a small number of people, then choose joomla. if you want a scalable website with minimal latency, then choose drupal.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:54 pm

yeah because the Joomla.org site is only used by a small number of people.  Especially the extensions directory.

Ian

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:21 pm

LOL Ian,

You beat me to that one!

manuman
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by manuman » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:27 pm

Ditto Asphyx :D
Shayne Bartlett - Joomla Co-Founder
CTO/Web Architect: Elastik Limited https://elastik.space

ibnhafsun
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ibnhafsun » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:30 pm

When I registered at Drupal my ID was +50000...

How many registered users have joomla.org? and extensions.joomla.org? This forum is powered by SMF.

What features are available to the extensions.joomla.org users? what are available to the drupal.org users?

alledia
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by alledia » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:35 pm

I was about to say something similar...

I don't think the poster wrote enough to make his opinion clear.

Did he mean "people" in the sense of logged-in users actively creating content or "people" in the sense of visitors?

If he clarifies that it will be easier to make a Drupal/Joomla comparison.
Joomla extensions and templates: http://Joomlashack.com

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:52 pm

was replying specifically to:
if you want to build a website that caters for a small number of people, then choose joomla. if you want a scalable website with minimal latency, then choose drupal.

I wasn't really responding to the comparison aspect of it...

merely to the comment that Joomla! is only suitable to 'build a website that caters for a small number of people'.  This IMO just isn't true.  Joomla! is certainly scalable and has fairly low latency.

understood that forum doesn't run on Joomla!  That's why I mentioned the extensions directory instead, which does.

We have 674 guests and 57 members online (from extensions.joomla.org).  This has really low latency.  I'm sure there are others that also have many more users (that don't necessarily display thus number).

Ian

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:00 pm

I'd like to add at this topic my experience. As per your knowledge I followed Drupal since 4.0.0 RC1 (maybe 2002/2003 I don't remember) and my comparison among a lot of CMSs was only based on how it is a system fast / easy / beautiful / large community of real active users / more than a very small core developpers / resources needed by the server / tutorial / learning curve / if the project has a future / about security and ...many more.

In this thread we've discussed in various way about the comparison Drpl / J! and if you like to read all posts there are all the answers to your questions; I prefer to not mention them as it is needed a comment behind and beyond that particular consideration / sentence.

In the last 2/3 posts I see an important question about why SMF if we are Joomla, but the reply is just why not... this CMS has a lot of features, is connectable to other good products, and moreover we have other forums available for joomla as the last totally resident fork of the forum punbb (I don't remember the name and where I read this atm, sorry).  And the other question is about the real value of our users, I think that we can answer to that viewing their efforts in the new forge, the gForge system.

Please take note that extensions aren't all available in internet about extensions for Joomla, it is very important but not the only one.

Then about what written by ianmac I have nothing to say. He's right!

peplm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peplm » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:36 pm

Hi

Sorry I make this question again. I was looking at a similar forum in Drupa and most people prefers Drupal, here most people prefers  Joomla and I am very confused. It seems that the best CMS depens on the circumstances, these are mine:

I am not a profesional, I do this as a hobby. I have programming background but use php/perl/cms only as a hobby. I don't care programming in php, in fact I like it, but I have very little time for administration and maintenance.

I use a host provider using a shared server, this makes some restrictions, I don't have access to install binaries, I don't have access to a shell promt or something similar to run unix commands.

I am already running a site using Joomla (http://aparatodigestivo.net). I liked the easy of installation, I programmed a componnent and found the API a little bit too complex.

I run a second site (http://ropits.com). The site is becoming popular with around 1M page visits a year. Most of the site is static html but the most popular part is dynamic content that I create and maintain with a set of scripts in Perl. I have programmed the scripts quite from scratch. I want to move the site to a CMS, Joomla o Drupal. I need a CMS to increase the interaction of users (create personal files, forum, interact with the contents, ...).

My first option is Joomla because it is what I already use. But I would like to know what Drupal can offer before I invest a lot of time. I anticipate the need to program new components programming in php. I will need some type of framework to continue using my Perl scripts because they contain around 5k lines and migrating to php is not straight forward.

Any recommendation in my situation?

Sorry for the long post and thanks.
Webmaster Aparato Digestivo .net : Información y consulta médica on-line en aparato digestivo, nutrición y diietética. Patologías digestivas, dietas adelgazar y dietas clínicas.

Return to “The Lounge”