How to mark a post as solved after the 7 day time limit?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
markchicobaby
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

How to mark a post as solved after the 7 day time limit?

Post by markchicobaby » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:24 am

Hi

We can't edit our posts after 7 days (the Edit button disappears from the bottom of the post form).

My post is now solved, but it took 10 days. How can I change the topic to SOLVED?

Can you mods add a facility for this? Instead of removing the Edit button, change the Edit button into a "Mark as Solved" button" which does one thing only, that is change the topic from

Old topic name
to
[SOLVED] Old topic name

Thanks
M

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How to mark a post as solved after the 7 day time limit?

Post by Tonie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:56 am

The reason we had to resort to the not being able to edit messages that it was frequently be abused by spammers who put their spam in there after posting something.

At the moment, the only place is post in the sites & infrastructure forum and ask that a moderator changes the topic for you.

If there is a PHPBB mod for this that does this, I wouldn't mind adding it to the forum. If not, somebody would have to code it.

markchicobaby
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by markchicobaby » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:42 pm

Tonie wrote:The reason we had to resort to the not being able to edit messages that it was frequently be abused by spammers who put their spam in there after posting something.

At the moment, the only place is post in the sites & infrastructure forum and ask that a moderator changes the topic for you.

If there is a PHPBB mod for this that does this, I wouldn't mind adding it to the forum. If not, somebody would have to code it.
I'm not sure how this solves anything unless there is a design flaw in the Update Post mechanism?

Is there a different filter between a spammer posting something as a new post, or updating an old post? If a spammer can bypass your "new post" anti-spam filters by posting a post, and then hitting it with spam later on, well s/he can do that within the 7 days anyway???

Sorry I don't understand... there must be more to the story because with just the above explanation it sounds like the spammers can get in anyway and the limit on editing just causes grief all around for normal users.

M

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:39 am

What spammers were doing is to create a normal message, often a copy/paste of another. This will not be seen as spam. Then they wait a few weeks, after which they edit their now old posts. They place their spam links in there. Since these posts are not 'new' posts, they are not shown in the 'New posts' lists, and therefore there is a good chance that these posts are not read again by people reading the forum or moderators who can report/remove spam.

Return to “The Lounge”