Boycott TPD's that block forums

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
mlewis
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Boycott TPD's that block forums

Post by mlewis » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:11 am

I don't know about you but I'm sick and tired of watching forums being shut down to subscribers only. While you are a subscriber, you also are contributing to those forums so it seems only fair that you should continue having access even if you let your subscription lapse.

Third party vendors seem to be on some sort of high lately with prices that rival all out commercial offerings and worse, that keep the average hobbyist out of the open market by making it more and more difficult for them to find good addons for their site ideas.

Subscription prices are getting rather silly and there seems to be a practice of never ending 'fixes' to keep those subs coming. It is also becoming rather scammy how people are being treated if they aren't subs and even if they are.

I recently purchased a $100.00 addon only to be treated like crap by the author each time I asked a question. Since that time, I admit that they have been nicer so I'm hoping it stays that way.

Sure, I understand capitalism and I'm all for it but I am not for greed and am sick of seeing it in all forms of large corporations and now on this level as well. Part of my own belief in open source is that it is community driven with an ultimate purpose of giving people choices, mainly through Linux but in other forms as well. The more we allow commercialization of Joomla for example, the more it will become less relevant or will have to cover so many bases that it will become impossible to maintain.

To prove my point, three times this week alone, I was stranded trying to find information because I didn't have an up to date subscription. I had a problem with an addon and at first, wasn't able to get any help. I was told the problem was with sh404sef. I went to those forums only to find out that I could no longer post since my sub was expired. Then I had a problem with JomSocial this week, and of course, headed over to the forums, only to find out that they no longer allow expired users to post either. That's THREE TPD's this week alone and I can't recall how many the week before. That's simply not fair since I helped to contribute to all of those forums, or at least, I and/or others on my team. This is BS!

Anyhow, don't bother arguing with me if you don't agree, just make your points and let's see if others agree or don't agree.

I for one believe it's time to have this discussion because things are on a slippery slope right now. I'd love to see some boycotting or something come together as a plan of action if others agree with me. If no one does, so be it, I'll deal with it.

Mike
Last edited by imanickam on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum General Questions to the forum Lounge

mlewis
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Boycott TPD's that block forums

Post by mlewis » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:46 pm

I'm sad that you moved this. Most people don't read this forum and I was trying to ask the community. You're basically ensuring most folks don't see this.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

I am just curious as to which forum it should be in.
* Its not about a single extension (despite you mentioning one in particular and the rant in another post about another)
* its not a question directly regarding joomla operation and its extensions
* its not about open source that i can see (how is "support" open source?)
* i am sure that a similar situation exist for other extensions/cms/blogging platforms etc.

Beyond that, yes the situation you describe can be very annoying.
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

mlewis
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mlewis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:01 pm

Joomla IS an open source project and if it is to continue supporting addons, it should look at what is going on around itself. Of course this is a joomla issue.

Etc, on all of the other points I made.

mlewis
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mlewis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 pm

PS: As to which forum, that I cannot say other than it would have been nice to see this allowed in a forum where plenty of users visit. I took the time to make the post because to me at least this is an important discussion.
We have been pushing joomla for YEARS and it is becoming more and more frustrating for too many reasons. I basically would like to know what direction things seem to be heading towards before we continue spending so much time pushing something which might have a direction we are not interested in.

So far, it appears to me that the joomla 'team' doesn't want to see this discussion happen. Not sure why of course but where is the problem either way. It's just forums, it's just text, it's just a conversation which people can take part in or not. Why be so hard nosed about it. Doesn't cost a cent to anyone.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:35 pm

I am sure a more knowledgeable person will come along but in the meantime
from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software
Open-source software (OSS) is computer software that is available in source code form: the source code and certain other rights normally reserved for copyright holders are provided under a free software license that permits users to study, change, improve and at times also to distribute the software.
The customers pay to direct the developers' efforts: to have bugs prioritized and fixed or features added. Companies or independent consultants can also charge for training, installation, technical support, or customization of the software.
Or (pardon the pun) take your complaint about OS developers and support to the source http://www.opensource.org/
also page http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd is a good read on The Open Source Definition

i wont bore you with how i was treated by another OS project on their forum when i asked a simple question (i cant tell them i found the answer as im now banned from it )
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

mlewis
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mlewis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:43 pm

I asked for constructive conversation, not trying to close it right off the bat.
Thanks for your input though but I'd still like to see the average user sharing their thoughts.

Return to “The Lounge”