Overriding Language Files

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 1.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

RtX
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Overriding Language Files

Post by RtX » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:09 pm

My experience indicates that it is not possible to override language files.  The only way in which to change a language file and see the effect of the change seems to be to edit the core language files themselves. I have tried copying the language directory structure into the template html directory, but any edits I make do not have an affect except when I edit the files located in the core (non-template) language directory.  Is this a misunderstanding on my part?  Many thanks.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Overriding Language Files

Post by infograf768 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:41 pm

You can't override the language files in the template but you can easily edit the en-GB files or, better, if you don't want to change the default English files, create your own pack with another name and choose it as default.
The process is similar to creating a new language pack for Tibetan or Ancient Greek.

Lets say you use en-GB files and want to change just a few strings: install the Translation Manager and create a pack called en-ME, then change at will the strings.

The fact that "ME" is not a country code will not be an issue. Be sure though that you do not change the content of the xml files if the language remains English.

Instructions can be found here:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,254709.0.html
Post moved to Languages 1.5
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - Joomla! 1.5”