problem with Jobline component in Japanese

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 1.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

grovemonkey
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

problem with Jobline component in Japanese

Post by grovemonkey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:51 am

I tried posting on the Jobline site but haven't been able to access it so I thought I would throw out the question here. I installed the 1.5 Japanese language packs and the base system is english. I switch the site over without any real problems. All the .ini files seem to work well.

Jobline allows me to input Japanese and even save Japanese jobs but when I try to edit the various fields in the language ja-JP.php with Japanese they are displayed on my site with just ???? For example, the field TITLE when I translate it to Japanese just displays back to the browser as ??? any idea what causes this to happen and some possible way to work around it? I've run into this problem with another CMS before but you all seem more responsive and in touch with translation issues.

I don't even mind translating the component to Japanese and posting it up, but I just can't get the characters to display properly on my site. I hope someone can help me out with this.

grovemonkey
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: problem with Jobline component in Japanese *Semi-update*

Post by grovemonkey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:44 pm

grovemonkey wrote:I tried posting on the Jobline site but haven't been able to access it so I thought I would throw out the question here. I installed the 1.5 Japanese language packs and the base system is english. I switch the site over without any real problems. All the .ini files seem to work well.

Jobline allows me to input Japanese and even save Japanese jobs but when I try to edit the various fields in the language ja-JP.php with Japanese they are displayed on my site with just ???? For example, the field TITLE when I translate it to Japanese just displays back to the browser as ??? any idea what causes this to happen and some possible way to work around it? I've run into this problem with another CMS before but you all seem more responsive and in touch with translation issues.

I don't even mind translating the component to Japanese and posting it up, but I just can't get the characters to display properly on my site. I hope someone can help me out with this.
I have been working on this and found that if I take the localize 1.5 versions SJIS formated text and paste it into the jobline ja-JP.php file in the language section that this will output the HTML file correctly in the browser.

So it seems that in order for me to display the characters properly, I need to edit the ja-JP.php file but have all the variables added in JSIS encoding. The problem is that I haven't been able to come up with a good way to convert or even write out characters in JSIS format. I think if I knew this, I could do a solve this problem. Any thoughts?

Return to “Language - Joomla! 1.5”