How do I reinstall English?

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 1.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

shimanotaka
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How do I reinstall English?

Post by shimanotaka » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:56 pm

I had some problems earlier enabling Swedish, and in desperation I uninstalled English to force Joomla to switch. My site works fine in Swedish now, but whenever I install a new extension, it doesn't install the language part since they are usually English by default and English does not exist in my Joomla settings anymore.

So how do I get English back? I haven't found any English language packs in the extensions section and it doesn't work to just FTP the English language folder back into the language folder on the server.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How do I reinstall English?

Post by infograf768 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:54 am

shimanotaka wrote: So how do I get English back? I haven't found any English language packs in the extensions section and it doesn't work to just FTP the English language folder back into the language folder on the server.
It should, as long as all the files for site are in a folder called en-GB in languages/ and all the files for admin in a folder called en-GB in administrator/languages/

I would check if they are not put into a subfolder of en-GB
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

shimanotaka
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shimanotaka » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:49 am

In that case there is some kind of bug somewhere. I first FTPd the English files back into the correct directory. Since that didn't work, I actually created a English language pack that installed fine. But still several extensions fail to install properly.

For example when I install SmartSEF I get the following message:
JInstaller::install: Språkfilen en-GB.com_smartsef.ini kunde inte installeras eftersom språkpaketet för Administratör inte har installerats eller så existerar inte språkpaketet längre på servern.
Which translates into:
JInstaller::install: The language file en-GB.com_smartsef.ini could not be installed since the language pack for Administrator has not been installed or does not exist on the server anymore.

If I first switch to English (which actually works now even though the installers don't recognise it) I get the following message when installing SmartSEF:
JInstaller::install: INSTALLER LANG NOT INSTALLED

So the English is actually there, but it seems like any English .ini files within any extensions fail to be installed. The extensions don't lack any function, but they lack any informative text. I have to manually open the .ini files to be able to read what different buttons and options do. I have also tried to manually FTP the .ini files into the correct folder, but that doesn't help either.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:28 am

Looks like you may have mistaken SITE language pack with ADMIN language pack.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - Joomla! 1.5”