092 - Write a document on PHP essentials for template designers.

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
malarzm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

092 - Write a document on PHP essentials for template designers.

Post by malarzm » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:38 am

Hi everybody :)

I'm writing about PHP essentials for template designers and I'm wondering should I describe only PHP things or basic Joomla functions too.

Thanks

Claimed: Nov 29 Due: Dec 6

Google Task
[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
Last edited by AmyStephen on Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: 92 - Write a document on PHP essentials for template designers.

Post by Chris Davenport » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:03 am

Read the task description carefully.  The purpose of the document is to explain some basic PHP syntax to template designers who are not familiar with the language.  Of course, your examples will probably include elements of Joomla! API methods and properties, but that is not the focus of the document.  Note that examples should be drawn from Joomla! 1.5 templates, not earlier versions.

Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

malarzm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 92 - Write a document on PHP essentials for template designers.

Post by malarzm » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:55 am

Thanks, in previous thread about this task (which is closed now) there was a question about it so I wanted to be sure :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 092 - Write a document on PHP essentials for template designers.

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:20 pm

Malarzm -

Thanks for your patience as we worked through a couple of bumps in the road! This is a very important task and one that many community members could use already, so thanks very much for your willingness to contribute in this area.

There is a resource that you might find helpful that HarryB, a long-term Joomla! community member, has provided: http://rc.hrpr.com/trunk/joomla-15-template-primer .

Please ask questions, as you have them, and let us know what you need. If a community member would like to mentor this task, please volunteer! That would be great!

Have fun and good luck with the contest!
Amy :)

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi malarzm,

I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself, I've been building Joomla templates for nearly 4 years now (since the mambo days). I've also been known to help out in the community now and then :)

If you need an help with your project, like finding out what php essentials make for a more robust and flexible template, then I'll be happy to help out.

Waseem
http://www.bulletprooftemplates.com/ - Joomla Templates and Consultancy

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:32 am

malarzm -

We need to hear from you within 24 hours or we will reopen the task for someone else. This task is past due.

Thanks!
Amy 

malarzm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by malarzm » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:17 am

Hi!

I'm very sorry but I was sure that it's two week task. I returned home today after programming competition and I have done something about 50% of my job so far. Of course it's my fault so I'll accept your decision without discussion. I can finish it in max two days.

I'm very sorry about that,

Malarzm

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:46 pm

Thanks for your response. I must admit, I was surprised to see it be one week, as well. I do believe it is a mistake on our part since we were trying to have two and four week tasks. If it is a two week tasks it would extend the date to Dec 13. If that works for you, I see no problem with it.

Hope you did well in your competition. Try to allow time for the community to review and provide feedback in your work. Look forward to seeing your entry.

Again, appreciate your prompt response,
Amy :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:39 am

Malarzm -

We opened this task for someone else.

Even if we did extend your due date for two weeks, instead of one as it has been posted, there was no interaction with the community and the work would have been due today.

You are free to try, again, but not with this task. Please do not do sign up for another task unless you have time to do the work. We expect contestants to open a forum immediately, interact every few days with the community, allow review of work, and respond to feedback.

This task is reopened.

Amy

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”