Joomla! Community Members

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Joomla! Community Members

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:40 am

Now that the Google Highly Open Participation Contest is underway, I want to take a moment to make certain community members know not only are you welcome in this area of the forum, but you are *encouraged* to jump in and provide these students with your assistance and feedback.

Each of these students are between the ages of 13 and 18 years of age and are pre-university students. The students select from 102 tasks that represent real work we know needs to be accomplished in support of the Joomla! community.

These tasks are very diverse, including such things as creating a tri-fold that answers the question "What is Joomla!"; or, making a video demonstrating how to install localhost software and Joomla!; or, creating a "Quick Start to Joomla! v 1.5" guide. Some of the students are actually building Joomla! v 1.5 extensions - software we will use.

You are invited to help these students. Please respond to their questions. Please review their work and provide encouraging and helpful advice. Please point out the location of information you believe will help them be successful with their task. If you have expertise with their specific task, and no one else has volunteered, please let them know you will be their mentor! Above all, though, please pay attention to the newest members of our community and take a moment to thank them for their contributions.

Also, we would certainly appreciate your ideas about other tasks that would be helpful for the students to do. If you want to contribute your ideas, you can do so on Joomla!'s Google Highly Open Participation Contest Site in the comments on that page.

Good luck to all of these fabulous students participating in this contest and thank you for your contributions to the Joomla! community.
Amy :)

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Joomla! Community Members

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:09 pm

Hi Folks,

Just answering an SOS from Amy :)

I understand that there's a student in need of a CSS mentor, if so I'm happy to help out

Waseem
http://www.bulletprooftemplates.com/ - Joomla Templates and Consultancy

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:38 pm

Excellent!  :-*

There are actually a few threads that you could be very helpful with. If you are interested, please post into those threads introducing yourself and offering your assistance. Then, it is up to the contestant to ask for help. Many are very self-sufficient; many are helping one another (which is very cool). EVERYONE's help is very much appreciated. You are, as usual, dependable and I appreciate you responding to th call.
If you need something, please let us know Waseem! Thanks so very much,

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Done, done and done :)
http://www.bulletprooftemplates.com/ - Joomla Templates and Consultancy

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:56 pm

Did anyone tell you --> you are a Joomla! hero  8)

Thanks Waseem!

mtk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mtk » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi,
I'm here to help.
Let me know what can I do...
"In a world without walls and fences,
who needs Windows & Gates?"

http://www.smartmtk.com | http://www.lighthost.co.il/webhosting-for-joomla

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:50 pm

Cool! It's really easy, just walk through this forum looking for questions and help keep these students moving forward. In cases where you see the exclamation point, the student is nearly complete and likely has a link to a document or an extension that needs review. Take a close look and give your honest feedback.

And, thank you! Prepare to be impressed; these are some remarkable teens!

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”