076 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Worship"

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
J. Ramsay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: 076 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Worship"

Post by J. Ramsay » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:46 am

Hi Amy,

Thanks for that. I had actually revised and fixed up a few of those things below, but hadn't noticed others. I created a Version 1.4 but hadn't uploaded it. Your suggestion on the GPL bit was much more fluent than what I had written (V 1.4). I also reworked the cover so that it wasn't so black and over powering (see converstation with "pvh123" above).

DOWNLOAD: http://rapidshare.com/files/74171456/Jo ... .pdf.htmll (512 KB)

Hope you like!
Cheers,
James

P.S. I am hoping that this will be the version for submission to Google Code, but we shall see :P
Zebras don't have stripes, every photo you have ever seen has been Photoshoped!

J. Ramsay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by J. Ramsay » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:16 am

UPDATE - Version 1.6

- Few typos (missing fullstops, comas)
- Slight changes to clouds on front page image
- Decreased transparency of frame around front page heading

DOWNLOAD: http://rapidshare.com/files/74175180/Jo ... 6.pdf.html (516 KB)

Cheers,
James

DanBollinger
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DanBollinger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Amy, good point about folding. I'd forgotten to mention these issues, they are something I do without thinking about.

I don't know if the contest rules mention whether or not this will be a pamphlet people print on color laser printers for themselves, or if this is something tht Joomla! will have a commercial printer do for them and make available for its members. This needs to be clarified. Here's why:

Laser printing services (Kinkos' etc.) normally reduce the image ever so slightly, to about 98%. Also, their machines have margins they cannot print in, about 0.2"  Because of these reasons, you need to move the crease in your design to accomodate the printer.

Home laser printers also reduce slightly, and have even larger margins. This is probably why Amy saw something happening with crease misalignment.

Commercial printing services (aka ink on paper) don't reduce, and typically print on larger paper and then trim to size and finally crease the page.  While laser printers cannot reproduce color that bleeds (goes past the edge of the paper) a commercial printer can. The trick here is to design your page with a custom page size adding 1/8" all around for bleed, which will be trimmed off later. Then, put the folds exactly where you want them to go, no adjustments needed.

Also, if the contest rules should specify RGB file output if the results are for laser printers and CMYK if for commercial printers.

Dan

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:04 pm

I would assume home printing as a top priority. Dan sounds like the expert on that - I have nothing to add to his comments.

LOVE THE WHITE BACKGROUND!!!! I did not want you to get rid of the black. But, Pieter's recommendation was right. I am surprised at how much better it looks!

Now, we are getting into TINY picky stuff:

Consider adding "designed" to this sentence?
Joomla! is an open source content management system (designed) for creating and maintaining websites of many applications. Joomla! is also a huge online community which is both diverse and friendly.
Is the font on Why slightly bigger than the rest?
Why Joomla!?
This one is my problem  :-[ - consider adding the (words) - remove strike outs (thank you so much for working with me on the GPL issue!)
Joomla! is distributed under (the) GPL, so you are free to study, adapt, change, and distribute (share) your work (with others). There is also no charge to download and use Joomla!.
2 How Joomla! works - word choice. Consider changing "to your" to "than your."
Joomla! operates in a very different way to your typical HTML based website.
pages as the user requires them.
Sweet!  8)
The new content will instantly appear to your sites visitors. How easy is that?
Consider changing "for a calendar" to "on a calendar"
but it can store other information such as appointments for a calendar.
Try to get rid of that passive voice at the end.
Components and modules use this ability to enhance the core features of Joomla!, allowing the site to meet the users specific needs.
I would remove this - or add a sentence about diversity of extensions. It is important for people to know that third party developers can charge for their work and we should support our developers. I know I am being a stickler on this, but it's important. Giving back to the community is really important. I do not want to give people the impression developers are supposed to work for free - volunteers are supposed to freely answer your questions - everything is a free gift and you don't have to do anything. We have too many people (IMO) who come with a sense of entitlement already. While that is true that much is freely offered, it is also true that we hope very much that everyone will give something back. That is what makes this work! (end of preachy lesson. ;) ).
Nearly all of these components and modules are free and are very easily installed through the Joomla! user interface.
Lower case Automatically:
Joomla! Automatically recognises what type of extension it is and does the rest.
straight forward should be --> straightforward

Remove "we" from church example. Keep it in third-person, instead.

This is a very very very fine piece of work. It is absolutely beautiful. You have talent. You are close to finished.
Amy :)

DanBollinger
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DanBollinger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:20 pm

You know you are close when people begin talking about commas!  :D

The title might be insufficient depending on where the pamphlet is used. If at a Joomla! event, then it is OK. If at a table in a religious festival, then think about making it" Joomla! software for Worship.

I would adjust the 'levels' of the screenshot. It is a tad gray. If you don't know how to do that in Photoshop Elements or not, hint:

Goto: Enhance: Brightness/Contrast: Levels, then move the right slider left about 1/8" and the middle slider left about 1/4", or so until the image 'opens up.'

Dan

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:24 pm

DanBollinger wrote: The title might be insufficient depending on where the pamphlet is used. If at a Joomla! event, then it is OK. If at a table in a religious festival, then think about making it" Joomla! software for Worship.
Love all your ideas, Dan, you've been a real help. But, I disagree with this one idea. (Even understanding your point.) But, we just never talk about it as "Joomla! software." I would not like to see it in a title, I think.

Thanks!!!!!

DanBollinger
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DanBollinger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:31 pm

Fine by me, like I began my first post with: "Use what you can, lose the rest!"  :pop

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:36 pm

My feedback should be viewed with the same caveat!

Again, I want you to know how much I appreciate you stepping in here and contributing. You have been more helpful than you might imagine. Props!

J. Ramsay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by J. Ramsay » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:48 pm

Amy and Dan,

Thanks both for your tremendous help! The brochure is turning out to be very good and without your help it would not have been possible.

Dan,

I will modify the page for printing at home, once the content has been finalised and also keep a copy without borders for commercial printing. That way I only have to keep 1 version up to date at a time.

Also, yes, I noticed the picture was too grey. It turns out in my 3D rendering program, I had forgot to turn on the light in front of the picture.

Amy,

Mad the changes. Yes, the font size of "Why" was bigger for some reason. I am glad you like the new front cover with white. Another reason against black is cause it is a nightmare to print at home (never looks quite right and uses HEAPS of ink).

DOWNLOAD: http://rapidshare.com/files/74313007/Jo ... 7.pdf.html (529 KB)

Cheers,
James
Last edited by J. Ramsay on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:33 pm

Sorry that this was not responded to more quickly.  :-[

Fabulous - you know what I think of this - it is GREAT!

Is this text slightly darker?
The PCEA site now sees many visitors from
around the globe and requires little effort to be
kept up to date thanks to Joomla!.
Other than that, I think it's ready. One more judge has to agree, then we'll close this task and you will be able, if you want, to select another.

The final output should be available in a form that we can modify, if needed. So, gather your source files and the PDF, create a zip file, and get it ready to publish.

Thanks so much for participating, your work is an encouragement and sets a high standard of excellence,

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chris Davenport » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:04 pm

Overall visual appearance is very good but if it were me doing it I would try to get some sort of visual element at the bottom of each of the 3 inside pages, not just the right-hand one.  This would give it a bit more balance.  The right-hand one is also a little large for the space available making that page look a bit crowded.

Not sure about the back page; maybe another image to fill out that glaring white space?  New images could be screenshots which emphasize the community aspects of Joomla! perhaps.

There is one occurrence of "Joomla!." where you can drop the superfluous full stop.

I would suggest dropping the http:// in the URLs and making "Joomla.org" all lower case.  That's a personal preference really, I just think it looks better that way.

But overall I'd say it's very good and pretty nearly finished.

Regards,
Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:09 pm

Yo dude. Loving this. Looks awesome.

I was wondering about the white area in the middle column of the first page. I think it'd be kinda neat to see a worship building (small chapel or church). I can see a small church with a steeple sort of skewed to one side sitting right there. But over all, from start to finish, this thing looks great!
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

DanBollinger
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DanBollinger » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:23 pm

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Chris and Chad. White space defines the designer's skill. 'Plugging' in images, or text for that matter, to fill empty space is not needed. 'Plugging' is a solution looking for a problem. White space, or empty space, is not a problem. For instance, so-called empty space in a building is the hallmark of a good architect. I think the product as it exists right now is well balanced and is ready for press. Dan

J. Ramsay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by J. Ramsay » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:00 pm

Hi Everyone....

Amy-
Wow, sharp eyes. I spotted it a day or so back after I had printed it but didn't think it warranted a new version. I always seem to find the mistakes after uploading the file.

Chris Davenport-
Thanks for your input, but I personally think that adding extra images will not really add to the brochure, and could actually ditract by appearing visually cluttered. I have fixed the superfluous full stop.

Chad-
Uhm, problems with putting a church building/chapel is that the brochure is "Joomla for Worship" which encompasses religions of all description. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Dan-
Thanks for your help and support throughout the process. Your insights have been very, very helpful. *thumbs up*

Below is my "Final" (hopefully) version. One more judge to review is nesscary before submission to Google Code.
DOWNLOAD: http://rapidshare.com/files/74998966/Jo ... l.zip.html (3530 KB)

File list for contents of ZIP
-Joomla! for Worship - Final.pdf
-Joomla! for Worship - Final.odt
-Joomla! for Worship - Cover.png (this is a vector image that can be modified - drawn in Fireworks)
-Presbyterian Screenie.png

Cheers,
James

P.S. Thanks once again each and everyone of you who have contributed in feedback, suggestions etc. You have made this task heaps of fun and I am looking forward to getting started on another.

hpatel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hpatel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:36 pm

where can i get the Helvetica and New Baskerville fonts, and do i have to pay for them?

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by drmmr763 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:11 pm

Helvetica is Ariel on a windows machine. I don't know about New Baskerville.
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:50 am

This is really great. We'll try to get this closed ASAP.

J. Ramsay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by J. Ramsay » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:23 pm

Thanks for that. I am looking forward to starting a new task!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:20 am

James -

I am so sorry for the delay.  :-[

This is one of the better pieces we have received. Thank you for your contributions.

Please post it on Google and I will close the task there.

Then, you will be free to choose another, if you like.

Thanks, again - you have been very patient with us. :-*

J. Ramsay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by J. Ramsay » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:28 am

Hi Amy,

The delay actually gave me a chance to get my new laptop running Vista x64, which tool quite a lot of effort.

I am looking forward to choosing another task.

Files have been uploaded to the Google Code site.

Cheers,
James

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”