070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief profile

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
benediktkroll
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief profile

Post by benediktkroll » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:01 pm

Just a few words to introduce myself: I am a student in Germany who is - besides other things - interested in print design, pr and journalism.

After I claimed this task a couple of days ago, I am now starting to create a frame layout where I plan to integrate boxes for each core team member's profile. There are a few questions that I would appreciate having answered, if possible.

1) Would you like the profile to be in full text, key point or a combination of both? In my opinion, a good combination (which I shall try to find) can make the brochure easier to read.
2) I see that the joomla homepage has different background colors for each category (Main, news, help and so on). Into which category would you classify the brochure and hence what background color should I use?
3) Am I required to seek out additional information other than the data given at http://www.joomla.org/content/blogcategory/43/85/ ?

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Claimed: Dec 1 Due: Dec 15
Google Task

[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
Last edited by AmyStephen on Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanBollinger
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: 070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief profile

Post by DanBollinger » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:32 pm

You might want to read my pamphlet design concepts at: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... msg1100105

There are logos and logo style sheets at: http://www.joomla.org/content/view/259/70/

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief pro

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:30 pm

benediktkroll wrote: 1) Would you like the profile to be in full text, key point or a combination of both? In my opinion, a good combination (which I shall try to find) can make the brochure easier to read.
Sounds good! It's up to you. A tri-fold is limited space. Within that space, you will have to make design designs. Sounds like you have good ideas.
benediktkroll wrote: 2) I see that the joomla homepage has different background colors for each category (Main, news, help and so on). Into which category would you classify the brochure and hence what background color should I use?
Here's logo and brand information. But, I don't see this brochure as having a "category" color requirement. Work with the brand material and your creativity.
benediktkroll wrote: 3) Am I required to seek out additional information other than the data given at http://www.joomla.org/content/blogcategory/43/85/ ?
You might also see what kind of profile information is available here. Certainly, you can contact the core team members through PM if you want to pose questions to them. (Keep it brief, of course, since a tri-fold cannot hold much information and they are very busy.)

Also, allow me to direct your attention to the thread GHOP Contestants Please Read: Task Process Start to Finish, which will help you to understand the process we need to follow with the contest.

Good luck with the contest! Feel free to ask questions and for assistance, as needed. We will try to help you be successful with your task,
Amy :)

benediktkroll
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: 070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief profile

Post by benediktkroll » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:13 pm

Thanks for those helpful responses from both DanBollinger and AmyStephen. I am now working on a draft according to your suggestions.

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pvh123 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:39 pm

What you have to remember with a PR 3-fold is the way the receiver of that folder does the reading. The 3-fold will always be folded like left flap over right flap, so the outside of the right flap is what is seen first. Put iinteresting things there. Than wen the reader opens it up, the first thing he will see is the middle part of the inside of the 3-fold. Also a space to put the important message. Than you can elaborate to the left and the right inside flap.

Onthe back of the folded 3-fold, you put general information like phone numbers, urls etc.

Hope this helps.
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief pro

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:23 am

benediktkroll  -

Is there something we can help you with. We would appreciate an status update on your task. It is helpful if contestants touch base with us every few days so that we can help, if needed, and are aware of your progress.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:35 pm

I am happy to provide any information you may require for this task. I know where most if it is available ;)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:20 am

benediktkroll -

This is due on December 1st, and there has been no draft for community review.

If you are too busy to do the task, it is understandable. It would be appreciated if you let us know so that the task can be opened for others.

When working with an open source project, it is very important to involve others, consider their viewpoints, and try to integrate some of their ideas into your work. Given the due date that is right around the corner, there is very little time, now for that interaction.

Please try to respond quickly.

Amy

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:38 am

benediktkroll withdrew, due to illness was unable to work on the task.

I will lock this thread now so as to not confuse anyone if the task is selected, again.

Thanks benediktkroll, for letting us know. Hope you are feeling better!

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”