032 - Create a section content view that combines a category list...

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: 032 - Create a section content view that combines a category list...

Post by ianmac » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:23 am

Kevin8020 wrote: I like Ian's fix, but unfortunately, it in itself is not SEF... I'm curious if there is a way to get this to work without being SEF. The problem is that my extension adds the layout=blog out of the blue. There is no way for the router to know that if the category view is called from within view=section&layout=categoryblog, then the category should be displayed as a blog.
This isn't a problem - SEF doesn't necessarily mean there are no query parameters.  Having &layout=categoryblog is the way it has to be done.
So I think unless there can be another system there, I agree... this is the best solution for the time.
Yes.
I also agree that a non-menu based SEF system would probably be good... but that's just my two cents... haha

EDIT: Oh, also, who would I contact to have this removed from snippets on JoomlaCode? I want to upload a version without the router changes now that that's been fixed.
EDIT: sorry, wrong thread:
On another note, the multiple selection issue has been fixed, so if you can update your code to get rid of the JavaScript, that would be great.  You can now just create your new section type and the values will automatically get stored with | separating them.
End EDIT

And, you really should allow the user to specify an Itemid that should be used to display the category listing.  I would suggest having two options: allowing the user to select an Itemid from the existing itemids (you'll have to create a parameter I think), and allow the user to use whatever the default Itemid is (the frontpage).

Hope that helps,
Ian
Last edited by ianmac on Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:02 am

If you find the previous message confusing at all, please ignore it...  it may be written in the wrong thread.

Ian

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:07 am

I am to blame for the confusion. We have a couple of extensions that deal with section-category-articles. Both had challenges. Anytime things get complicated, we ask Ian to figure it out. He asked me about the GHOP_Categories and I told him about this issue. Not the same thing.

The bottomline right now for this particular extension is that we believe it should be a new component.

Kevin did what the task called for and did so correctly. So, we accepted his work as complete, knowing this probably wasn't going to work, as is. Kevin has worked on a second extension, which was completed, and is now working on his third task, a Quickstart to Joomla!, which will be very helpful.

When the contest is done, if Kevin is interested, we can pick up where we left off with this obviously important extension.

Thanks!
Amy :)

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:03 am

Alright, I've completed my other GHOP entry, and wanted to pop in over here.

1) Is there anything I can do to help get this extension going again?

2) If not, any suggestions on another task I could pick up?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:08 am

Here's a hot new task just on the scene.  ;)

Otherwise, we have a set of new 2-day testing ones that must be quickly done (157 -166).

And, we have a set of "Do a website for a non-profit" that we added (147-156).

The world is your oyster, Kevin, but wait on this one till the contest ends and we can grab a core dev. I think it rocks that you keep coming back to it, though.

Amy :)

birks
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 032 - Create a section content view that combines a category

Post by birks » Tue May 20, 2008 11:11 am

Hello, I've just been using this, and it almost did the job perfectly. I've found that when viewing an article descended from the Section Category Blog, the breadcrumb for the Category links back to a List view, rather than Blog view.

I played around with str_replace, but I'm not programming savvy, so haven't figured out how to link it to a Category that's only in a Section Category Blog.

Any advice please?
You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me.

birks
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by birks » Wed May 21, 2008 1:31 pm

Well, for now I've fudged the mod_breadcrumbs/tmpl/defult.php file to change the url for all categories apart from the News Section (which is to remain as a list, and has an ID of 30). It may not be pretty, but it will do for now:

if ($i < $count -1) {
if(!empty($list[$i]->link)) {
// Temporary hack to fix the wrong link to Category Blog view, by applying it to everything bar the News page..
if (JRequest::getCmd('Itemid') != '30') {
$ItemLink[$i] = $list[$i]->link;
$oldCatBlogLink = "view=category&id";
$newCatBlogLink = "view=category&layout=blog&id";
$ItemLink[$i] = str_replace($oldCatBlogLink , $newCatBlogLink , $ItemLink[$i]);
echo '<a href="'.$ItemLink[$i].'" class="pathway">'.$list[$i]->name.'</a>';
} else {
echo '<a href="'.$list[$i]->link.'" class="pathway">'.$list[$i]->name.'</a>';
}
} else {
echo $list[$i]->name;
}
echo ' '.$separator.' ';
} else { // when $i == $count -1
echo $list[$i]->name;
}

If any of you actual programmers have a real solution I'm all ears. 8)
You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me.

ghazal
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ghazal » Mon May 26, 2008 10:58 am

hi all,
i've been using this great snippet since its launch and its been working beautifully up to the last stable version of Joomla (with my own updates).
A great thnks to its developer and Amy for her support.
I noticed the breadcrumb pb, and thks to joomla gods, I was not the only one.
Well, I am gonna try birks solution, even if "it is not pretty" (lol), if it works, I wont complain.

ghazal
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ghazal » Fri May 30, 2008 10:10 am

Hello,
birks solution for breadcrumb pb works allright.
In case someone reads this, I have updated the files for Joomla1.5 latest version and added a french translation.
If this someone could check it, its here to download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gyd4ynjlyym
And a feedback would be nice, in case of errors mostly.

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”