069 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "The Joomla! Project"

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: 069 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "The Joomla! Project"

Post by tj.ferrell » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:24 pm

I love the picture it is a great idea and i will defiantly use it. Scribus is a great app but my computer is crap so i cant run it. :laugh:

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:00 am

Here is the new brochure. I had trouble meeting your 100mb limit. Let me know what you think! ;D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:28 am

I have some feedback for you.

-First of all, you might not want the background to be black.  Yes, it looks really cool, but people will be printing this off from their home computers.  That is an expensive and time consuming print job with an inkjet!
-Why are the words bitmaps?  Please, please, please save it as text instead of a bitmap!!!!  Bitmaps are blurrier, larger file sizes, and you can't scale them up or select and copy text from them.  It is really hard to read as a bitmap.
-It is kind of distracting that all of the text boxes have different sized font.  Some are as big as the titles, and some are too small to read.  You may want to make them all the same, somewhere in the middle.
-There are places in there where the word after the word Joomla! is capitalized.  You should find these and un-capitalize them.
-In that post about brochure design, it was mentioned that you shouldn't put any information on the back of the brochure.  I think this would be a good idea.
-One of the bullet points have more space after them than others.  I think it would be a good idea to add this much space (or possibly even more) to all of them to add readability.

You have a lot of great content on there, but some factors impair the readability.  Once you get the visual factors down, this is going to be a killer brochure!!!
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:51 am

trombonechamp wrote: I have some feedback for you.

-First of all, you might not want the background to be black.  Yes, it looks really cool, but people will be printing this off from their home computers.  That is an expensive and time consuming print job with an inkjet!
-Why are the words bitmaps?  Please, please, please save it as text instead of a bitmap!!!!  Bitmaps are blurrier, larger file sizes, and you can't scale them up or select and copy text from them.  It is really hard to read as a bitmap.
-It is kind of distracting that all of the text boxes have different sized font.  Some are as big as the titles, and some are too small to read.  You may want to make them all the same, somewhere in the middle.
-There are places in there where the word after the word Joomla! is capitalized.  You should find these and un-capitalize them.
-In that post about brochure design, it was mentioned that you shouldn't put any information on the back of the brochure.  I think this would be a good idea.
-One of the bullet points have more space after them than others.  I think it would be a good idea to add this much space (or possibly even more) to all of them to add readability.

You have a lot of great content on there, but some factors impair the readability.  Once you get the visual factors down, this is going to be a killer brochure!!!
Agree 100%. 200% with the last part.

I like black too - but - it's not going to work.  :P

Amy :)

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:57 pm

Hello Thanks For the Input Everybody! I will definitely make those changes. I didn't even realize that the text was in a bitmap form  :) sorry. I have a monster English project to  do today but i will try my hardest to have a new brochure up by tomorrow afternoon(sorry i am cutting it a little close!) I was planning on changing the color to white to minimize the amount of ink used in printing and make the inkjet border look less obvious. For the text being different sizes i was just trying to cram some things on in an orderly fashion that made sense. I will try to rethink everything and edit the text when necessary. I must have missed the suggestion to not put information on the back but I know when i read a brochure i look on the back before opening up the brochure, but maybe i am just weird like that. I will probably move the conclusion to the back like i originally had planned since it is not vitally important information. As for the capitalization after Joomla! i once again did not notice it and will be on the lookout for it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:50 pm

my English project took more time than i thought sorry! :'( I might be able to upload a new version tonight but it might not be until tomorrow. What time is it due tomorrow? Just getting started on the new version now. Thanks!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:24 am

tj -

Do this as quickly as you are able. You have worked closely with us. You have been cooperative and flexible.

You are doing great - keep it up.

Thanks for keeping in touch and letting us know the status of your work. Very cool!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:28 am

http://tj.ferrell.googlepages.com/downloadpage the new brocure is here i could not limit it to the upload size for Joomla there was too much in it. sorry! I guess i will submit it for a final review. it also has the draw file.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:46 pm

tj  -

Looking LOTS better - on the "What is Joomla!" page - add a ? and the bottom text - News - is the same as the top text (I think you forgot to copy in that section  ;) )

No reason for quotes:
"This document is subject to
the Joomla! Electronic
Documentation License."
No bullet for this point (it's the header point). There instead of "Their" and are there two spaces between "currently" and "five?"
●Joomla! Working Groups
focus on a specific area of
Joomla! working closely with
the core team. Their are
currently five working
groups:
No comma:
enhancing, and debugging
an - instead of "a"
a efficient environment
Lowercase available
makes Joomla!
Available
You're almost there!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:17 am

OK i fixed everything suggested above and i defiantly want to submitt it for a final review. Is it allright that it most likely will not be up on the goggle forum tonight? here is the link http://tj.ferrell.googlepages.com/downloadpage thanks!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:52 am

AmyStephen wrote: There instead of "Their" and are there two spaces between "currently" and "five?"
Joomla! Working Groups
focus on a specific area of
Joomla! working closely with
the core team. Their are
currently five working
groups:
That's it! (Do you hate it, yet? By this time, working with a tri-fold, I cannot stand my work, anymore! lol!)

I'll try to get another judge to review. This is good stuff - thanks!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:03 pm

I fixed the changes here is the upload link http://tj.ferrell.googlepages.com/downloadpage thanks i have work until tonight and i will be unavailable all Sunday so please let me know what i need to do next soon! thanks. :D

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 am

Go ahead and publish it on Google when you are able. I will close it there after you have posted it.

I accept this as complete.

Thank you for your contributions to the Joomla! community!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:07 am

Done it's posted! ;D Thank you so much for giving me an opportunity to participate! I have introduced my friend to Joomla! and we have decided to use it to manage our FIRST robotics website!  8) for anyone interested in seeing it it is https://www.aocrobotics.org/joomla/ it is still under development but it has saved our main programmer allot of work. :laugh: I am browsing through all of the open tasks to find my second one and it looks like you might be seeing me again sometime soon! :P Thanks again.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:12 am

tj -

So glad you will be selecting another task with us - and soooo happy to see you and your friend working with robotics and Joomla!.

BUT - what are you doing with the J! v 1.0.x series? Get J! v 1.5 - and take advantage of some of the cool extensions your peers are building!!!

I'll see you around!

Have fun with Joomla!,

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”