105 - Write a document explaining how to use Joomla! to offer file downloads

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
fervidfrogger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

105 - Write a document explaining how to use Joomla! to offer file downloads

Post by fervidfrogger » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:22 pm

Hello everyone,

Update: (December 05, 2007, 11:04:30 PM forum time)

The final, final version is here.
For this task you will help beginning users move beyond the basics to take
advantage of the flexibility of Joomla!.

Users often wish to offer their visitors PDF, spreadsheet or document files
to download. One simple way to do this is to use the media manager to
upload the files and create links to those files in one or more content pages.

Create a one to two page document that describes the steps for doing this
in Joomla! 1.5.
My name is Cameron, and I reside in Dallas, TX. I've been piddling with many open source projects before, but since I have used Joomla! for many different websites, I thought it would be nice to give back. Some small projects that I've done were addons to firefox and scripts for greasemonkey, some small VB/Python/Ruby stuff, and of course PHP work.

Anyway, I've used the media manager before for pictures, but the only problem that I'm encountering is that with the default config settings and a 777 chrooted images folder, I cannot seem to get pdf's or text documents to upload. Both were "web safe" as far as the name goes. Surprisingly enough, images are able to upload just fine.

If you know of any way around this strange issue, be sure to tell me here so I can include it for beginners learning how to use the media manager, as well.

Thanks!

Google Task

[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
Last edited by fervidfrogger on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 105 - Write a document explaining how to use Joomla! to offer file downloads

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:39 pm

Hey Cameron -

Thanks for entering the GHOP contest and for choosing to contribute to the Joomla! community. I want to point out a resource that might help you with process questions. When you have a moment, please read GHOP Contestants Please Read: Task Process Start to Finish.

Now, as to your question, couple things to check:

1. One limitation on uploads is that spaces not be included in the filename. Double check to see if that is your problem.

2. Also, *.pdf must be listed as a allowable extension in your Global Configuration/system tab. So, please check that, as well. It is the Media Settings, section, legal extensions (file types) option. The default list is:

Code: Select all

bmp,csv,doc,epg,gif,ico,jpg,odg,odp,ods,odt,pdf,png,ppt,swf,txt,xcf,xls,BMP,CSV,DOC,EPG,GIF,ICO,JPG,ODG,ODP,ODS,ODT,PDF,PNG,PPT,SWF,TXT,XCF,XLS
Please - let us know of any questions you have. We are here to help you be successful with your task. Thanks!
Amy :)

fervidfrogger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 105 - Write a document explaining how to use Joomla! to offer file downloads

Post by fervidfrogger » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:17 am

Hello again,
Thanks for the information. It seemed as though there was a problem using firefox on my linux machine.

I've added the first version to be reviewed.
The file is located here: http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... anager.odt

The page said to have only one or two pages, so that's why I didn't include any images to guide along, hope you don't mind.

Be sure to review and share your thoughts if you're visiting this post!  ;)

Thanks,
Cameron

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:46 am

Very well written!

I don't see anything wrong with the spelling or grammar.  You should use pictures, though.  There was something that was sent out a little while ago that said ignore any length limits. 
The textbox in D is one line too small on my computer.

Good luck!  :)
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

fervidfrogger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fervidfrogger » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:12 am

Hello again,

Here's an updated version, including helpful pictures and formatting:
http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... anager.zip

Have a great rest of the week!

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:29 pm

Wow!  The pictures really help make it more visually appealing!
I don't see anything wrong with the spelling or grammar.
Sorry, I was wrong.  When reading through it again, I noticed just a small problem.  In the first sentence, there should be a coma after "wondering", before the quotation marks.

Other than that, it looks great!
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

fervidfrogger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fervidfrogger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:15 am

Trombone, thanks for the hints. The pictures got smooshed when I added borders to them, that's why some look distorted slightly. Hopefully It isn't a big problem. All original pictures are included also.

Can I please have a final review?
File here: http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... anager.zip

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:07 am

fervidfrogger has called for a final review. Please take time to review this work and respond. Thanks!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:22 pm

Brilliant!  8)

Considerations:
1. lower case "It" --> With Joomla!, It is possible to do this using the Media Manager. (That is the only error I found.  :o)
2. I believe uploaded files cannot contain spaces. Please consider testing that and adding a warning.

What is very special about this entry:
1. Love how you define geeky terms --> using FTP (file transfer protocol)
2. You must be a student of [url=http://Strunk%20and%20White%20-%20The%20Elements%20of%20Style]Strunk and White - The Elements of Style[/url] - "Omit needless words." You get that.  8)
3. Sequence perfect: Intro (short and sweet); Configuration; Upload; Linking; Maintenance (deleting, etc.)
4. Warnings perfectly timed - just when the reader might need to know.
5. Use of images, stellar.
6. EXTRA COOL - you warn them about possible PHP limitations with large file sizes - and tell them where to get info if it happens.  8)
7. You made this easy. This *will* be used.

Mighty fine work. Stellar. Brilliant.  Let's try to get more feedback and get this one closed ASAP.

THANKS!

fervidfrogger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fervidfrogger » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:02 am

Thanks for the suggestions and comments AmyStephen!

OpenOffice tends to consider the Joomla! exclamation point the start of a new sentence. :P

On point number 2, I added a warning for that as well. Thanks!

On the second point number 2, I've read plenty of step-by-step books. You get the idea...  ;)

Here's the final edited version after your suggestions:

One additional comment I have, has anyone considered making the IMAGE button below the article editing to work for all files (say, a 'media manager' button), and then have the user specify whether or not it should be directly displayed (i.e. images). That would greatly improve the ability for troubleshooting issues where people don't type the link in correctly. I might put that on my todo list...

Bye,
Cameron

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:45 am

fervidfrogger wrote: One additional comment I have, has anyone considered making the IMAGE button below the article editing to work for all files (say, a 'media manager' button), and then have the user specify whether or not it should be directly displayed (i.e. images). That would greatly improve the ability for troubleshooting issues where people don't type the link in correctly. I might put that on my todo list...
Cameron - I agree 100% - I would love to see that, and it only makes sense to me.

++++

Your document looks complete to me. I would like to see Elin and/or Chris weigh in on this, as well.

Thanks for your fabulous work!  8)
Amy

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:54 am

Great!

The only thing I noticed was that in the warning for step 6 is should be that the file name should not contain spaces (not the file). :)

You are ready to upload your final version to Google! Congratulations!
Last edited by mcsmom on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

fervidfrogger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fervidfrogger » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:56 am

Got the final uploaded and ready! I didn't even notice the issue.

Link to file:

Thanks mcsmom,
Glad I could help!

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”