079 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Community Groups"

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
djyr2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

079 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Community Groups"

Post by djyr2003 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:34 pm

Hi,
My name is Dan (username djyr2003) and I have claimed this task. I am 16 years old and am going to school for drafting and design, but I have allways liked Joomla and use it for my own site (wazupyaw.com). My task is to create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Community Groups". This task seems pretty simple. I just have one question, whare can I find some good Joomla Logos, and whare can I find some free clip art to use? Also, what do you guys meen by extra credit?
Thanks!
Dan
Discription:
Create an attractive tri-fold brochure using OpenOffice Writer that shows
how Joomla! is used by Community Groups all around the world.

Good source for finding appropriate systems is a Google Search or using the
http://JoomlaPlace.org examples.

Skills Needed

* Good communication skills.
* Creativity.
* Good Public Relations Skills.
* Good Open Office Writer and communication skills.

Difficulty

Basic.

Work Product

Attractive tri-fold that could be used by Community Groups to learn and
show others how Joomla! can be used for that purpose. Use Joomla! logo and
color scheme http://www.joomla.org/content/view/259/70/ .

Licensing

Documentation written for this task must be made available under the
Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.

Extra Credit (Optional)

Interview site owners and include their comments on Joomla!.

Time Limit

2 weeks
Claimed Nov 28 Due Dec 12

Google Task

[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
Last edited by AmyStephen on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanBollinger
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: 079 Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Community Groups"

Post by DanBollinger » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:39 pm

You might want to read my pamphlet design concepts at: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... msg1100105

There are logos and logo style sheets at: http://www.joomla.org/content/view/259/70/

djyr2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djyr2003 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:13 pm

I have one more question. Whare can i get the joomla (Helvetica) font for free?

J. Ramsay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by J. Ramsay » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:05 pm

Hi,

I was lucky as I have the font. I think it came with Adobe CS3. Anyway, here you go...

DOWNLOAD: http://rapidshare.com/files/73886674/Helvetica.zip.html (1.67 MB)

Cheers,
James

P.S. I have done a lot of work on a tri-fold and you may want to take a look at it. Feel free to borrow what ever you like.
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... msg1100524
Zebras don't have stripes, every photo you have ever seen has been Photoshoped!

DanBollinger
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DanBollinger » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:43 pm

FYI: The Helvetica font of typefaces is from the Linotype foundry and is not GPL. That is, it is a commercial, copyrighted artwork. That's the reason you see so many counterfeits, they are trying to get around the intellectual property issue.  Dan

djyr2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djyr2003 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:12 am

Great, thanks alot for you help!

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:40 am

Helvetica is used for the text itself, not for the logotype "Joomla!".
As far as I remember, the font there is Asenine Wide.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 079 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Community Groups"

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:08 pm

Welcome to Joomla! Dan -

Please do not worry about the specific fonts. We do not expect students to purchase a font for the contest and we certainly respect copyright requirements and would not want the font inappropriately obtained.

Regarding your question on extra credit. The task reads:
Extra Credit (Optional)

Interview site owners and include their comments on Joomla!.
So, if you wanted to talk to a few people who have community websites developed in Joomla! in order to capture their perspectives in the brochure, that would be favorable in the contest.

Please feel free to ask additional questions or for assistance you might require. We are here to help you and your efforts are much appreciated. Also, it is a good idea to read the thread GHOP Contestants Please Read: Task Process Start to Finish, which will help you to understand the process we need to follow with the contest.

Good luck!
Amy :)

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pvh123 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:05 pm

Just a little modest bit from me.
Have a look at my comments at
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

djyr2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djyr2003 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:27 pm

Allright, I have Finished!  ;D
I was not able to attach, so heres a link-
http://wazupyaw.com/files/Brochure.pdf
http://wazupyaw.com/files/Brochure.odt

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pvh123 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Heye,

I had a look at your 3-fold and I am impressed. It is definitely colourful, but not disturbing. You got the messages at the right spots.
have a look at the "Open Source" fold, the text is overflowing (at least on my screen ;) ) the Red part of the fold.
Also in written text you should not use what I call: "Speaking language".
You find an example of that on the same fold: "Basically is means that its offered free of charge"; this should read "Basically this means that it is offered free of charge".
Now if you where to change that you are getting into trouble with too many words, so you have to re-think that sentence.
May be, as a suggestion, you should leave out the sentence about the budget. This will save you words and it is IMHO not directly a selling item for the product message of the 3-fold.
Money and budgets is discussed later when the punter wants to have a system build.

Other than that, fantastic job done :)
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:22 am

Wow!  It looks great!  I have a couple of suggestions for you, mostly grammar.

-Under "Open Source", the sentence "Exactly what does that mean?" would be better phrased as "What exactly does that mean?"
-Directly after that, it says "Basically is means" instead of "Basically it means".
Also in written text you should not use what I call: "Speaking language".
You find an example of that on the same fold: "Basically is means that its offered free of charge"; this should read "Basically this means that it is offered free of charge".
-If you choose not to take this suggestion, you should change "its" to "it's" so it means the same as "it is".
-Again with the "speaking language",  "Want to..." should read "Do you want to..."
With Joomla!, you can add virtually any popular feature of web sites.
-You might want to consider rewording this sentence to something like, "With Joomla!, you can add virtually any feature to your web site," or, "With Joomla!, you can add any of 2481 available features to your site."
-Under "Easy to Use", "minimum" should be "minimal"
-"Keep you and your community safe." is a fragment of a sentence.  You need to add a subject.
With Joomla!, you don't have to worry too much about security on your site.
-The "too much" piece, in my opinion, makes the sentence loose its power.  If you were to read this before you knew what Joomla! was, would you have thought, "Boy, this product looks secure!"?  By being open source, Joomla! gains a big security boost, so this is surely a benefit we want to show off.
-Under "Customizable", "all most" should be "almost"
-Theres should be there's
-You use the word "tons" a lot.  You might want to try using some others.
-The first column looks like it is shifted lower than the others, but I may just be imagining things.
-It might be a good idea to change the colors in the city clip art on the front page to match your color scheme.

I hope you love feedback as much as I do, but if not I am sorry.

I wish you good luck in the contest!
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:29 am

How fun!

Thank you for this. (move the period and place the gnu.org address in there.)

In general, omit http:// and www from web addresses.
If you want to distribute, copy or modify
Joomla!, you are welcome to do so under the
terms of the GNU General Public License . See
Resources for web address.

© 2005-2006 Open Source Matters (extend into 2007)

Sorry - but - we cannot include *some* external websites and not others. I had to make the same comment on the blogging one, as well. It just isn't fair to do so.

No - open source does not necessarily free of charge. Talk about other benefits - collaboration, learning from and using code, community and world wide involvement, even " a new trend"
Joomla! is open source.
Exactly what does
that mean? Basically is means that its
offered free of charge, and open for
anybody to use to code of the program to
fit it to there needs. Joomla! is a good fit
for any budget!
On the "free" thing - it's a tough one. Certainly, reduced cost is a key benefit. But, we really aren't "inviting people" to come take our hard work for free. That wouldn't be a very good community goal. So, why are we "advertising/promoting" Joomla! for Community Groups? What do we want from those people? And, that's where you get into what is a community - you give - I give - combined, we wind up with more than we could have alone. Community should not mean some do all the work, now, come and get it. Tough message to put together but important.

I'm also uncomfortable with the security message.

Step back a minute and think about the goal of an open source community. Is it to have the software used by the most people in the world (bragging rights?) Or, is it to draw together a productive, active and positive group of people all working on common goals?

I assume you understand I am leading you to the second conclusion. ;)

So, think differently about your PR piece. We are not trying to "sell' anyone. We are trying to "engage" people. Big difference. And, we need to be very careful not to suggest people have no responsibility -

So a proprietary PR firm may say:
With Joomla!, you don't have to worry too much about security on your site.
But, an open source community may talk about Eric Raymond's comment about Linus's law:  "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow". The point being - we are *all* responsible.

In all sincerity, an open source community does not necessarily benefit from a mass influx of new end-users. End users mean more work. More training. More support. etc. There has to be more contributors in the group to help with the additional support requirements, as well.

The really great part of your brochure was talking about what Joomla! can offer to those specifically interested in community sites. (Forums, events, news, volunteer opportunities, etc.) Keep that - and add in how open source communities are important because we pool our individual contributions and each of us have more in the end.

Love the colors for an online brochure, but consider people will be printing these from home to share with others.

Thanks for your contributions to the Joomla! community,

djyr2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djyr2003 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:41 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments everybody. I made some changes and have uploaded the revised versions. I was wondering if it might be a good idea to make a version with a plane white background, for those who would be printing with a b&w printer or thoses who are printing om reagular, light weight, non glossy inkjet paper.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:33 am

I like the changes!
There are literally 100's of other add-on's for your site.
As of right now (according to extensions.joomla.org), there are 2493 extensions.  Thousands sounds better than hundreds!  ;)

Under open source, " Its made and..." should be "It's made and...".
Under security, you forgot the explanation point after Joomla!
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pvh123 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:17 pm

Looks better and the wording is more professional. A white background is a good idea. I would like to see it with white bg.
That also might let the important colours come out more.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:37 pm

Nice text ... grammar comment, under resources change:
"making your communities website"

to:

"making your community website"
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:06 am

What did you create this in? The .odt file is not usable, I am thinking. Go ahead and provide the source file, even if it's not Open Office.

Still very uncomfortable with the Security statements (plus, always use !)

It's very generic - non-descript - and comes close to promising something that we should not promise.

Most of the time, security issues come down to system administration, not application problems.

Does anyone else have ideas/comments on this?
Security
Keep both you and your community safe.
Joomla! is secure. Joomla is very safe and
secure. With security updates issued often,
chances of a breach is kept to a minimum.
the GNU General Public License --> add v 2

Remove www from joomla.org.

Again - colors are great online - but - not at all practical for a home printer.

SOLID content. Good work.

Thanks!

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pvh123 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:04 am

In a way I agree with Amy. If you take the security text on its own, one would think that Joomla has something to do with a security product, protecting you from everything.
That is not the case, Joomla is a CMS and like any other CMS has a form of security in it otherwise it would be useless. So mention security as one of its facilities but not overdo it.
May be like this:
Security!
The administration facilities of Joomla provide for a secure environment.
I realise that this gives you less text, but sometimes less is better! As long as the message is there.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:11 pm

Interesting. I took "security" to mean safe from cracks, not authorization systems.

Certainly, it's good to talk about the password, userids systems and the salted passwords. Even SSL capabilities.

Since security is so illusive and layered and complex, it's probably best not to make blanket statements that are not verifiable. The statement should be able to be confirmed. So, if we say "Joomla! is secure." What does that mean? Best be ready with a response. And, if there is a response (ex. salted passwords, SSL capabilities), it's better to say those things then something nondescript.

We could say Joomla! is Web 2.0, too. Now, what does that mean?

I wouldn't object as much to the Web 2.0 label. That means nothing and can cause no harm. Saying "Joomla! is secure" suggests site developers / owners have no responsibility anymore for their own security. And, nothing could be further from the truth.

I would encourage a completely different section there. One could look through the extensions library and find cool community extensions. Without naming any specific extensions (this is not advertising), discuss those capabilities that support a community.  Newsletters, social networking integration (delicious, digg, flickr, etc.).

Anyway, more ideas. Dan - what do you think of these concerns?

djyr2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djyr2003 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:49 am

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Im thinking that i will focus more on the security capabilities (SSL, passwords, ect...) , insted of focusein on the statement "Joomla is Secure". I will make the suggested changes tonight after school. I now realize im past the two week deadline. Is that ok? I would have responded earlyer, but school and work has been takeing alot of my time.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:28 pm

You are doing good; you've been involved and responsive. We will want to finish this quickly, of course, and I am certain that will happen.

Almost there!  8)
Amy

djyr2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djyr2003 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:09 pm

Ok, i have made the revisions. It was made in OpenOffice.org, but for some reason it gets messed up when I upload it. Does anyone know why? Heres the links for the new files:
http://wazupyaw.com/files/Brochureprintable.pdf
http://wazupyaw.com/files/Brochureprintable.odt
Last edited by djyr2003 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pvh123 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:51 pm

I specially like the printable version. That is what I mean! A leaflet to attract interest by the colours and later by the message.
Well done!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:27 pm

Wow! This has really come a long way! FABULOUS!!! It has such a positive vibe to it.

Love the User Control section  :-*

Little tiny picky things - then, let's close it down quickly!
  • Extra Resources to help you on the quest to making your community Site. --> lower case "site"
  • with out charge --> without charge
  • speak there mind --> speak their mind
  • 2000 other add-on's --> 2,000 other add-ons
  • theres a good chance --> there is a good chance
  • meet fellow members --> meet other members (gender neutral)
  • can add the possibilities are endless --> can add, the possibilities are endless
Almost there!

djyr2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djyr2003 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:49 pm

I made the modifications. I think i figured out the uploading problem, i think what you need to do is save it to your computer, and change the extentsion to .odt insted of .zip. I dont know why it did that since it was made with OpenOffice.
http://wazupyaw.com/files/Brochureprintable.pdf
http://wazupyaw.com/files/Brochureprintable.odt

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:15 am

Please post on Google - I accept this excellent contribution as complete; when you have posted there, I will mark the task as complete and you will be able to select another task, if you wish.

I thank you for your valuable contribution to the Joomla! community!

djyr2003
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djyr2003 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:55 pm

Hi,
I have posted it on google. Thanks for your help everybody, and i learned alot about open source and Joomla! through making this borchure.

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”