008 - Create a Joomla! v 1.5 plugin for Flickr Images.

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 008 - Create a Joomla! v 1.5 plugin for Flickr Images.

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:46 pm

afq -

This was working for me back on Dec 15. Now, on my server environment I am having trouble - and on my localhost. I incorrectly assumed you changed the caching and that perhaps those changes caused new problems. It sounds like my assumption was incorrect. Do you have any ideas on why this no longer works in either environment. What changes have been made since the 15th? Do you still have your work from that date?

Thanks!
Amy :)

afq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by afq » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:11 am

Amy -

The version you used on December 15th is attached to this post.

Unfortunately, I'm not in the habit of developing using SVN or CVS, so I haven't "officially" kept track of the changes I've made - but all my changes have been minor things, such as improving the XML, documentation, adding styling support, internationalization, and rolling my own API key into the plugin. (all the things you suggested on Dec. 15)

In regards to:

Code: Select all

Notice: Undefined variable: user in C:\Documents and Settings\AStephen\Desktop\Projects\websites\fresh\plugins\content\jigglr.php on line 118
As for that Notice you pointed out - I know the exact cause of the problem, but fixing it would require a bunch of extra conditionals that would really clutter the flow of the code. Since it's not a security flaw, is it absolutely imperative that I fix that Notice?
I originally meant to say that to you, but I addressed it to mcsmom instead.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by afq on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:17 am

To confirm: Are you asking me if this error I reported is acceptable since it's not a security issue?
AmyStephen wrote: Image

Notice: Undefined variable: user in C:\Documents and Settings\AStephen\Desktop\Projects\websites\fresh\plugins\content\jigglr.php on line 118

afq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by afq » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:26 pm

Right. I mean, I guess it's dumb question - I have the fix and everything, I was just wondering if it was absolutely necessary.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:30 am

Let me know when you have something to test. Or, if you want access to my installation as an administrator, that can be arranged.

Thanks!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:53 pm

If you have a fix - let's get this puppy closed today! Let me know if you have something to review. It's a fabulous extension!

afq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by afq » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:48 pm

Hehe, sorry for the slight delay. I had the plugin fixed and everything, but I completely forgot to upload it. We had some unexpected stuff going on because of Christmas ;)

The fixed version is attached to this post.

Notes

I noticed that the Joomla! System Cache might cause confusion if a user posts something containing {flickr} content tags BEFORE enabling Jigglr - since the output from Jigglr is not present, the original {flickr} tag will end up being cached, not the images. I made the necessary adjustments to the README.

The only thing that I could not fix was the issue with invalid path delimiters and so on. I tried out my idea of forcing phpFlickr to only load the PEAR libraries bundled with Jigglr by using the following code:

$original = ini_get('include_path');
ini_set('include_path', dirname(__FILE__) . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . 'PEAR');
require_once <file>;
ini_set('include_path', $original);
But unfortunately, all I got was this:

<div class="componentheading">
	Welcome to the Frontpage</div>
<table class="blog" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
	<td valign="top">
					<div>
That is, Joomla! almost completely stopped working. If I had more time, maybe I could keep on pushing to find a better solution, but for now, I think I'll have to leave it at that. I've also placed a notice in the README about this issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by afq on Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:25 am

Quickly, before I continue my exploration. I installed this and was reading through those AMAZING instructions you added and then I saw the nicest comments!  :-[  Very nice, thanks!  :)

OK. Back to my cool Flickr extension that will help me unleash hundreds of Flickr images I already have waiting to be presented on a Joomla! v 1.5 website (which, BTW, I don't think final is far off - and this will be HOT.)

Edit: Go check it out, I'm serious this Flickr Extension is going to be red hot. I don't believe there is another Flickr extension available for v 1.5 *and* this one unleashes all the power needed.
Last edited by AmyStephen on Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

afq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by afq » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:55 pm

Amy - thanks a lot for the compliments! Although maybe you're giving me a bit too much credit - all I really did was make a simple plugin layer for phpFlickr :P

Anyways, I'm not really sure what I should do next. Do I upload my plugin to the Google Task thread?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:20 pm

I am having one problem with this plugin, and that is getting the limit value to work.  I started digging into the code, but didn't have time to debug this. Do you know what limit is not working?

afq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by afq » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:18 am

Ah, my bad. I looked through the code and I saw this:

is_int($check['limit'])
Where it should be

is_int(intval($check['limit']))
I also fixed a couple of other bugs, including a styling error and an issue with the photo id parameter. Seems like I got a bit hasty - I'll be spending some time thoroughly re-checking the plugin for more bugs, so it's likely I'll upload another more stable version tomorrow.
Last edited by afq on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:20 am

Excellent - limit is working, now.

Everything looks FANTASTIC!

Check the code closely - and if you think it's good - post it. I accept it as final.

Have you got this on the JED already? It's going to move quickly! Excellent work!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:53 pm

afq -

When this is posted on your Google Task page, I will mark it complete.

Thanks for the great job,

afq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by afq » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:37 pm

Amy - will do.

Everything seems to be in tip-top shape, but I want to do one more round of intensive double-checking. In the meanwhile, I've submitted the plugin to JED and it's currently pending review.

I'll be sure to post it on Google once I feel it's as clean as I can make it :)

Thanks a lot for all your support all the way through this!
Last edited by afq on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

afq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by afq » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:29 am

Okay, it's posted on the Google Task.

I'm finally done. I fixed up a couple of small bugs, two big ones that completely slipped by me, and polished the documentation. The plugin should be pretty stable at this point.

I had a couple hours on my hands today, so I also went ahead and added two big features to make the plugin more complete:
  • Support for displaying Flickr photosets
  • Ability to output Adobe Flash slideshows identical to the one Kdevine linked to earlier
The README details these features and how to use them, as usual.

Cheers,
Last edited by afq on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

afq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by afq » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:35 am

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:18 am

The Jiggler is looking even better!  :pop

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:37 am

Afeique -

I was looking for the Jigglr and cannot find it. I see the JoomlaCode place http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jigglr/ but there are not any files. I also do not see it in the Extensions library.

Are you still maintaining this? Hope so! Look forward to hearing from you, thanks!

afq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by afq » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:38 am

Hi, Amy,

I mistakenly nuked a large portion of my website, and while I still have the Jigglr code backed up, all the documentation/demos were destroyed...I didn't want to rewrite it all, so I deleted the project for the time-being.

Whether this becomes permanent or not, I dunno. I feel guilty not being more proactive, but since time is so tight, I prefer pursuing other projects.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:29 am

Afeique -

That is all perfectly understandable and it certainly is not the first time that a developer has found time lacking to support a GPL'ed extension. The main thing is getting a maintainer for the code. This is an excellent plugin and we need to find a way to keep it available for the community.

There are a couple of options we can take depending on how you want to proceed.

Option 1: We can get the code back out on JoomlaCode and JED and get you help and a team to rebuild missing documentation and work with you on improvements, bug fixes.

Option 2: We can find someone / team willing to maintain this code. Even I would be willing to help maintain it, if necessary. It is a great extension.

Do you have a preference? If you could email me a copy of the latest code, that would be great ( [email protected] ).

I appreciate your prompt response - that rocks! Thanks for your contributions to the Joomla! community!

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:31 am

DId anyone take up the torch for this plugin? Its a great addon for joomla but I dont seem to be able to find it on JED. Has it been renamed?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:52 pm

The extension (as of that time) is posted as an attachment. I did not hear more on this.

Thanks!

hotnuts21
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hotnuts21 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:50 pm

OK thanks Amy, I notice there are a couple of extensions that utilise the phpflickr library now currently available for 1.5. I will have a play with all of them and I may well take this on myself if I get time as its something we need to use in work.

Paul

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:04 pm

That would be great, Paul. It's a very valuable capability to have on one's site. Thanks for considering.

kane738
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kane738 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi there!
I too love this extension. Brilliant work! Found a small bug in it though I think:

when I link to a specific photo by id, eg:

{flickr photo=472217607}
the link-back url to flickr doesn't seem to be formed right - it comes up as something like

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/Array/472217607">
where "Array" should be the user name. I had a look at the code myself and couldn't figure it out - my PHP skills are pretty non-existent :(
Does anyone else get this problem or am I doing something wrong?

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”