077 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Personal Sites and Blogs"

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 077 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Personal Sites and Bl

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:28 am

Looking good!  8)

Chad raised the same error I did in my last post.

The Why Joomla! site looks much more like a website.

I would change their to the; and, I would get rid of the word some:
Along with all their extensions and themes, Joomla! has a massive amount of documentation if you ever need some help.
Two spaces following Joomla! (change to one.)
Joomla!  has tons of extensions that you can
Bold both Joomla and org - instead of just Joomla - green back panel.

Really fabulous work.
Amy :)

rmiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 077 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Personal Sites and Bl

Post by rmiller » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:10 am

http://www.rsfgalleries.com/brochure.odt
http://www.rsfgalleries.com/finish.pdf

I really do have a grasp of the english language, but for some reason I can never proofread my own work effectively. So thanks for the help.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:27 pm

Joomla! Integrates
perfectly with other
tent within my site.
-Autocorrect capitalized "Integrates" for you!
-On the front page, "Joomla! for Personal Sites and Blogs" is a bitmap, whereas the rest of the text is real text.  If at all possible, you should make it real text, as it looks awful if you even zoom only to 150%.
-You may want to use a site other than the "Why Joomla!" site.  It would be best if you could use one with a fancy template, because many people are probably looking for appearance as well as function.
-If at all possible, I would really like it if you increased the image resolution.  Modern printers may make this look pixelated.  I have a B&W laser, so I can't test it. If you have a color inkjet, it may be a good idea to test it.  Having pixelated images would reflect poorly on Joomla! and make Joomla! look... (dare I use the "C" word?)    cheap.  :o
-For your final, you will also want to get that blank page out of the PDF.

Nice work!
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: 077 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Personal Sites and Blogs"

Post by drmmr763 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:20 pm

Having pixelated images would reflect poorly on Joomla! and make Joomla! look... (dare I use the "C" word?)    cheap
Joomla! isn't cheap! IT'S FREE! *laughs at own joke..*

I totally agree, high resolution for these documents is important. Especially if someone ever prints these off on a 'real' printer. 300 DPI is the norm in print jobs.
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

rmiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rmiller » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:10 pm

I really don't have any experience with print design, so sorry if I'm a bit slow.

I redid the cover in 300ppi, though when I import it into OO and increase the size, I can't say that I see any improvement in quality. I took off the text on the front cover and replaced it with real text. I tried to make the cover in eps (vector format), but OO writer couldn't read it for some reason. I redid one of the thumbnails as well in 300 ppi but truly I see no difference in quality even when I blow it up to 300% for some reason.

I can't print this out to see, because I am on vacation, but it should turn out fine now. I really don't want to invest much more time into this considering I have to get 6 college applications turned in by Jan 1st.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:45 pm

I wonder what the problem is.  I can't notice much difference in the pdf either.  I am pretty sure you shouldn't be scaling it to make it larger, though. You might have to make it a higher resolution in your graphics editor, and then scale it to make it smaller.  I am not the most reliable source, though, so don't take anything I say as 110% correct.

Hopefully someone who is experienced in this field will come by to help.  ;)
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

drmmr763
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: 077 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! for Personal Sites and Blogs"

Post by drmmr763 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:05 am

Just changing a resolution of a file, say in photoshop, or any graphics editor, doesn't 'change' its resolution. You have to start and develop with a 300DPI resolution. you cannot just go and change it to 300 and make it so. DPI stands for 'dots per inch', you can't add dots, you can only remove them. So, basically, its a one way deal. You can only go down, and not up. For example, I cannot take a image published at 72 DPI from the web, and bring it into photoshop, and make it 300, and have a high res image. Once the pixels are removed, you can only get them back by going to the original.
-Chad Windnagle
Please use the search feature as your question might already have been answered.

http://www.s-go.net/ ~ Website Hosting - Strategic Marketing - Website Development - Print Work

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:17 am

rmiller -

Are you trying to make the panels larger?  If you are able to use Max and/or Chad's advice and do so - and are willing to try, that would be great.

Otherwise, I understand the need to get your college apps, in, and the limited time we all have.

The brochure is nicely done. It is simple - but simple as in elegant, tasteful. If you want this to be your final, say so, it is of high quality and I will accept it as complete.

You have done a nice job responding to feedback and I appreciate your ability and willingness to do so.

Thank you for this contribution. It is very useful and will be used.

rmiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rmiller » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:45 am

Thanks drmmr, but I do know that. I tried recreating the entire front cover as well as one of the thumbnails from scratch in 300ppi and could not see any difference in quality from the only made completely in 72ppi. If someone wants to try to redo it all in 300ppi and see if they get different results or make a large image and scale it down, which might work better, then be my guest. I'll zip up all my psd files and such. Unfortunately I have no time to do this myself, so this is my final. It's the same as before by the way.

http://www.rsfgalleries.com/brochure.zip (for example peachbg2 was made with 300ppi and peachbg was made with 72ppi. I don't see any difference when I put them into OO)

Thanks for all your advice guys, I hope I was able to help out.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:17 pm

Ross -

You were, indeed, a great help. This is a very nice tri-fold brochure and will be helpful to others when available on a conference table or for community members to share locally.

As per Google's rules, you must upload these files to your Google Task. Once you have done so, we will mark it as final.

Thank you very much for your contributions to the Joomla! community. Good luck with your college apps!

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”