016 - Create a document defining the four types of Joomla! Extensions: Compo..

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
B4rr13
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

016 - Create a document defining the four types of Joomla! Extensions: Compo..

Post by B4rr13 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi everyone

I am Kristof from Belgium and I just claimed this reopened task;
16: Create a document defining the four types of Joomla! Extensions: Component, Module, Plugin and Template.

One line summary
Create a document defining the four types of Joomla! Extensions: Component,
Module, Plugin and Template.

Description
Study the listed resources, and write a short one page white paper about
Joomla! extensions, defining components, modules, plugins and templates and
how each are used in Joomla!. Give examples of each type of extension,
given what comes in the core implementation.

* Joomla! Help Glossary
    * Extension Types

Documentation written for this task must be made available under the
Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.

Skills Needed
Good Open Office Writer and communication skills.

Difficulty
Basic.

Work Product
Attractive, correctly written white paper. Use logo and color scheme.
Extra Credit (optional)

Explain how to install each one of these extension types and show pictures
of of the installation process.

Time Limit
4 weeks.

Greetings, B4rr13

Claimed: Dec 9 Due: Jan 6

Google Task
[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
Last edited by AmyStephen on Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 016 - Create a document defining the four types of Joomla! Extensions: Compo

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:09 pm

Welcome Kristof -

Thanks for participating in the GHOP contest. Please read the thread: GHOP Contestants Please Read: Task Process Start to Finish for instructions on how to proceed. If you have any questions or need assistance, do not hesitate to ask. We are here to help you be successful with your task.

These two resources may be helpful to you as you start on your task:
    * Joomla! Help Glossary - where you can look up the definitions for Component, Module, Plugin and Template;
    * Extension Types 

Good luck with your task and let us know how we can assist. It is appreciated if contestants provide a task update every few days to help us keep track of progress.

Thanks!
Amy :)

B4rr13
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 016 - Create a document defining the four types of Joomla! Extensions: Compo..

Post by B4rr13 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:43 pm

Work in progress..

http://www.simplefilehosting.com/downlo ... 89ddf2293f

could anyone tell me if i'm on the right track with this or if i'm completely off..?

- screenshots need to be of better quality
- spacing needs to be updated
- have to work the installation manual of extensions

1 question, am i supposed to cram the installation process of these extensions on this one page or can i use a second.. maybe third.. page as well?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 016 - Create a document defining the four types of Joomla! Extensions: Compo

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:30 pm

It is looking very good. In terms of how the page looks - it is beautifully put together.

We need you to focus on Joomla! v 1.5, though, not Joomla! 1.0.13. In v 1.5, all extensions are installed using a uniform installer, so, there is no reason to show the install, really.

The one point that I do not see made on your page is this:

1. A component is driven by a menu item. Every menu item runs a component. That's why components are the major portion of your page -- it's the subject of your page.

2. Modules are those "boxes" that typically are arranged around your component. The login module is one such example. Menus are modules. The footer is a module. Modules are assigned per menu item. So, you can decide to show or hide the logon module depending on which component (menu item) is used.

I would suggest a screen shot of the default Joomla!! v 1.5 install that has these types of extensions labeled. That might be a better visual than an installation since one never installs core extensions one at a time.

Some ideas, anyway.

B4rr13
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by B4rr13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:29 pm

AmyStephen wrote: It is looking very good. In terms of how the page looks - it is beautifully put together.

We need you to focus on Joomla! v 1.5, though, not Joomla! 1.0.13. In v 1.5, all extensions are installed using a uniform installer, so, there is no reason to show the install, really.

The one point that I do not see made on your page is this:

1. A component is driven by a menu item. Every menu item runs a component. That's why components are the major portion of your page -- it's the subject of your page.

2. Modules are those "boxes" that typically are arranged around your component. The login module is one such example. Menus are modules. The footer is a module. Modules are assigned per menu item. So, you can decide to show or hide the logon module depending on which component (menu item) is used.

I would suggest a screen shot of the default Joomla!! v 1.5 install that has these types of extensions labeled. That might be a better visual than an installation since one never installs core extensions one at a time.

Some ideas, anyway.
Hi

I've tried to make these changes and I hope I got it better this time.

Regards, Kristof

edit: *it*  :-[
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by B4rr13 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:53 pm

Kristof -

You are very talented. Everything is in it's place. Well organized. Beautiful. You write clearly. Excellent work.

I'm going to ask for two more things:

1. We made a mistake not including Language as an Extension. That was very, very bad on our part.  :-[ Will you please add it?

2. On your final image (which is FABULOUS) - can you circle the body of the frontpage - and label it as the component? The search and polls represented on that page are actually modules (but they have component counterparts that are not shown.)

You are nearly done. My sincere apology for adding an addition of the language. If you prefer not to do so, I understand. We can adjust your document later. If you want to, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

B4rr13
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by B4rr13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:23 pm

AmyStephen wrote: Kristof -

You are very talented. Everything is in it's place. Well organized. Beautiful. You write clearly. Excellent work.

I'm going to ask for two more things:

1. We made a mistake not including Language as an Extension. That was very, very bad on our part.  :-[ Will you please add it?

2. On your final image (which is FABULOUS) - can you circle the body of the frontpage - and label it as the component? The search and polls represented on that page are actually modules (but they have component counterparts that are not shown.)

You are nearly done. My sincere apology for adding an addition of the language. If you prefer not to do so, I understand. We can adjust your document later. If you want to, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Thanks for the very nice compliments, i'm glad you like it.
  • 1. I was actually wondering if i should include it or not  :-[
  • 2. No problem at all
So, consider it done, i'll get back on it as soon as possible.

PS; thanks for the great followup of this task.

Kristof

B4rr13
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 016 - Create a document defining the four types of Joomla! Extensions: Compo..

Post by B4rr13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:58 pm

Okay

So i made the adjustments as I were asked, updated file in attachment.
I also changed the color scheme a bit.

Kind regards
Kristof
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:08 pm

Very time I look at this, it gets better.  8)

We are now into the 'tiny edits' phase of your task.

Change ';' to ':'
There are five types of extensions for Joomla!; Components, Modules, Plugins, Templates, and Languages.
Add ',' between the word 'loads' and 'a component'
Every time a Joomla page loads a component is called
Add a ',' between 'and' and 'as' + another ',' after administrator
and as an administrator you
Remove this comma
portion of your page, because a component
Remove 'as'
as for example: the login module.
Always add a '!' to Joomla! (in fact, double check all of them)
Joomla powered website.
The image is perfect. So clear - this will help many people.

Beautiful work. Make these little fixes and we'll have someone else do a final review. If they sign off, you can post at Google and we'll close this entry.

You are very talented.

B4rr13
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by B4rr13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:23 pm

Hi

I made the changes you asked Amy, i also checked if all the Joomla! words had ! after them.
Thanks for the great, quick followup and your perfect guidance for this task.

Thanks Amy!

Kristof

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:35 am

I approve wholeheartedly! Great work! Thank you for your contributions to the Joomla! community and for entering this contest.

Need one more final review on this.

Perhaps you might consider another task, she asked hopefully!

Take care and thanks again!

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:37 am

Just a couple little things:
There are two parts in a component, an administrator part and a site part.
I think there should be a colon after after component, instead of a coma.  Then, a coma should go after part.
Modules are assigned per menu item. So, you can decide to show or hide the logon module depending on which component (menu item) is used.
So shouldn't start a sentence.  Consider: "...per menu item, so you can decide..."
Plugins were also known as mambots.
Is the end of this supposed to be in italics?

Wow!  Looks great!  I learned something!
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:42 am

Max -

I do not believe I have ever disagreed with any of your editorial comments, before. But, I do not agree about the semicolon or the "," to combine those two sentences. The second might suffer a bit from wording, but, it's acceptable.

It's okay to italicize mambots, too.

It does look great; on that, we both agree (see how the semicolon separates two sentences ;) .)

I want you to know how much I appreciate your involvement improving all tasks.

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:49 am

I would also like to commend you on your work!  Great job!  I think your work is more than acceptable and certainly exceeds our expectations.  We will mark it complete here and on Google.

Ian

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:54 am

Kristof -

Good job - Ian is in charge of Developer Documentation.

Please post your work at Google and we will mark it complete there.

If interested, we encourage you to take another task. The quality of your work is very, very good!

Thank you,

B4rr13
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by B4rr13 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:53 am

Thanks for all the great comments and the surprisingly quick followups.

I've posted the file at google and I'm looking for a new task.

Kristof

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”