108 - Write a document explaining how to use the news flash module to display...

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
Sam Fisher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

108 - Write a document explaining how to use the news flash module to display...

Post by Sam Fisher » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:08 pm

Full Title: Write a document explaining how to use the news flash module to display a random or rotating selection of texts

Hello folks,

The following is a description of the issue:
One line summary

Write a document explaining how to use the news flash module to display a
random or rotating selection of texts.
Description

For this task you will help beginning users move beyond the basics to take
advantage of the flexibility of Joomla!.

People know that they can use the news flash module to display news, but it
is also very useful for displaying either random or rotating pieces of text
(such as quotations, jokes, or testimonials) that is stored in a single
category.

Create a one page document that describes how to use newsflash for this
purpose in Joomla! 1.5.
Skills Needed

* Familiarity with Joomla!
    * Good writing skills
    * Good page layout skills

Difficulty

Basic
Work Product

A one page polished document that effectively explains the process to a
beginning user.
Licensing

Documentation written for this task must be made available under the
Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.
Extra Credit (optional)

Post a copy of your text in the tips and tricks forum.

Create a second document that explains how to use random image module.
Time Limit

Two weeks
As this is my first issue I have a few questions:
  • Is it okay to submit the document in a .ODT format?
  • It mentions license details in the description. Must I expressly point out the license the document is released under in the document?
Claimed: Nov 29 Due: Dec 13

Google Task
[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
Last edited by AmyStephen on Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: 108 - Write a document explaining how to use the news flash module to displa

Post by Chris Davenport » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi Sam,
Sam Fisher wrote: Is it okay to submit the document in a .ODT format?
Yes, in fact that is our preferred format!
Sam Fisher wrote: It mentions license details in the description. Must I expressly point out the license the document is released under in the document?
It's usually a good idea to do that in most documents.  It avoids any possible confusion for the reader if they want to know of any restrictions on how the document may be used.  You just need to state the name of the license (in this case it will be the Joomla! Electronic Documentation License) and give a reference to where the full text can be obtained (http://developer.joomla.org/wiki/JEDL).

Good luck with the contest!

Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

Sam Fisher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 108 - Write a document explaining how to use the news flash module to displa

Post by Sam Fisher » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:40 pm

Thanks. Is mentioning the license in the footer okay or should I place it at the beginning of the document?

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chris Davenport » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:53 pm

A single mention in the "front matter" will be sufficient.  Look at a typical printed book and you'll get the idea.

Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

Sam Fisher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sam Fisher » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:07 am

I have completed this task and the document is available here.

Sam Fisher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sam Fisher » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:16 pm

I've now done the extra document as requested in the "Extra Credit" section and posted the two documents to the "Tips And Tricks" forum as well, as requested in the "Extra Credit" section.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:50 pm

Excellent, Sam. I need to find some time to walk through your instructions, step by step, and make certain it explains the process.

It might be helpful to add a couple of pictures to your document. Images say so much more than words, sometimes. Give that a bit of thought.

*COMMUNITY* - we could use review and feedback. Please check out Sam's work and let him know what you think. THANKS!

Thank you, Sam!
Amy :)

Sam Fisher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sam Fisher » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:06 pm

I was planning to add pictures anyway, but as the instructions stated it was to be a one page document, I decided not too as I didn't think I could fit any pictures in at a decent enough size to be worth it.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:12 pm

My sincere apologies! I thought we removed all of the page restrictions.  :P

I think images would be helpful. Please disregard the one page statement. (Unless someone else disagrees - Chris?)

Thanks for your response!

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:21 pm

Definitely ignore, the page lengths are just guidelines. Pictures are really a good idea.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:59 pm

Sam,
Looks good so far.  I do agree that some screenshots would help.  I just found a couple typos I thought you should be aware of.
3. Browse to the index of your new Joomla! Installation and log in to the administrator area of your Joomla! installation using the administrator link on the menu to the left hand side of the page.
To me, this sounds like a run-on sentence.  I would consider revising it.
6. You can use the Newsflash module to submit the document in a .ODT format?
Remove the question mark.
6 sub 1. Must I expressly point out the license the document is released under in the document?display different pieces of text, all from one category, in one of three ways:
Shouldn't need much explanation...
6 sub 2. You can have it display a different piece of text in a randomly on each page load
Did you mean, "...different piece of text randomly on each page load"?
6 sub 3. You can have it list different pieces of text vertically as per their order
This one doesn't make sense to me.

Good luck :)
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

Sam Fisher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sam Fisher » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:57 pm

Trombonechamp: Much of your quotes on the "6. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" section aren't actually present in the ODT file. You seem to have a mixture of text from the .ODT and my posts on here merged together in the quote :S. However I am revising the documents.

Sam Fisher
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sam Fisher » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:38 pm

Here is an updated version with pictures and amendments.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:06 pm

Oh, sorry.  I just put the numbers and subs in there to show what bullet point it was under. 

The new one looks a lot better.  The only other suggestion I have is to put a border around the pictures and add some padding so they don't blend with the text.  Other than that, it looks great!
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:19 pm

Sam,

I gave you some comments on the Tips and Tricks forum.

Also:

Random images

Bullet Point 2 ... the modules are included with the core Joomla!  installation  (not the template). Also I would delete the "so."

Bullet Point 6  delete "so"

Bullet Point 7 in random images "Make sure “Image Type” is set to “jpg”" obviously only if you are using jpgs would you want to do this! Change that to "the format you are using" or something like that. How is it determined what types are permitted? (hint: global configuration) Is it possible to put more than one type of image? Do they have to literally be images?

Newsflash

point 2 see above
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:39 am

Sam -

As a reminder, your task is due on Dec 13.

We would appreciate an update on your task. Is there anything we can do to help you be successful? We are asking all students to please check in every few days so that we know the status of your task, and are able to help, if needed.

Thanks!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:59 am

Sam -

It appears that this task is nearly complete. mcsmom and Max had a few comments for your consideration. But the document is essentially done. When you have a moment, please respond to their comments and resubmit your document. I am quiet certain it is almost done. It looks very good.

Thanks!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:43 am

Sam -

Should we take your Google submission as your final? If we have not heard from you in the next day or two, we will evaluate whether or not to accept it, as is, and either complete or cancel this task. Please respond ASAP.

Thanks,

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:28 am

Task canceled due to non response from contestant.

Thread locked to prevent confusion with next contestant.

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”