070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief profile

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief profile

Post by yoniwiz » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:03 am

Hi,

I am Yoni and the description of my task is to create an attractive brochure that identifies each core team member, shares their picture, and explains how they contribute to the Joomla! project using the info on these people I find at "Core Team Profiles - http://www.joomla.org/content/blogcategory/43/85/"

I plan to either use Microsoft Word or Photoshop (I know Word is bad for enlargments but for a tri-fold brochure it should be sufficient, right? It's what I use when I have to do tri-fold brochures at school...)

I will post here if I need help but for now I don't.

Nice to meet everyone and look forward to talking,
Yoni
Last edited by AmyStephen on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 70 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief profiles

Post by yoniwiz » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:38 am

oh and a little about me:

I like Apple and Google a lot and I like photo and technology and Computer Shopper and am big on design and have worked for an urban planner doing renders in Google Sketchup. I'm very design oriented and analytical and opinionated.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief pro

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi Yoni -

Thanks for selecting a Joomla! task and participating in the GHOP contest!

We would love to see you use Open Office, which is free/open source software much like Microsoft Word, and GIMP, which is like Photoshop. Below are links you will find helpful to download this software.

There are many other tri-fold tasks in the contest. I encourage you to look around this forum area and review some of the comments community members have provided. You can also review some of the entries, already complete.

The contest has been underway long enough, now, that it has become obvious the more interaction with the community, the more successful the entry. We would like to see you posting every few days, at least, to gain the input of others and help us understand the status of your project.

Good luck - please help for help, if you need it!

Amy :)

* Joomla! logo and color scheme - http://www.joomla.org/content/view/259/70/

For working with graphics, we recommend:

* GIMP http://www.gimp.org/

For writing tasks, we recommend:

* Open Office http://download.openoffice.org

For tri-folds, we recommend:

* Download Open Office http://download.openoffice.org
    * Download "All Templates" from

http://documentation.openoffice.org/Sam ... index.html

1. Unzip into your %OpenOffice.org%/user/template folder.
  2. To determine your path, open OpenOffice?.org Writer.
  3. Select the Tools-Options menu option.
  4. Click the + sign next to OpenOffice?.org to open the sub-list.
  5. Click the word Paths. Note the folder name for Templates.

* To use the OpenOffice.org Writer Template:

1. Open OpenOffice.org Writer
  2. Select File-New-Templates and Documents menu option.
  3. Select Templates in the first column.
  4. Select all_templates.
  5. Select trifold_brochure and open.

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief profile

Post by yoniwiz » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:21 pm

I have already made the brochure in Word  :o :( :-\ :'(

(heheh I get carried away with the faces sometimes)

anyway I know OO can open .doc files so I am wondering if this works. I am using OS X so I have tried opening the file in NeoOffice which runs of OO and it did not carry in the pictures. I am wondering if this will be true with regular OO in which case I suppose, unless someone has a better idea (?!?) I will be forced to open the .doc in NeoOffice and then reformat/reimport all the pictures.

Anyway just as an update heres what I have so far as a .doc (I know the format isnt ideal but thats my next step)
I am also attatching it as a .png just so all can see what it looks like. I would have attatched my work but all files are >100kb... thoughts?

I am open to any suggestions and looking for feedback on cover page, particularly whether I should rearrange the colored bars, remove them, make them blue to green at top and then green to blue on bottom with orange and red text or what. All feedback welcome.

Thanks

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief pro

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:25 pm

Go ahead and post your work in your Google task and link back to it from the forums.

The instructions provided on your Task indicate Open Office. So, try to convert what you have to that format, if at all possible.

Link when you are ready and we'll start this review process.

Thanks!

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief profile

Post by yoniwiz » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:50 pm

is it required that I use the OO template or just that I use OO?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:51 pm

We prefer you use Open Office. The template is available, if it's helpful.

Thanks,

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:58 pm

can I nickname Peter Russell PR since his job is PR man?  :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:59 pm

yoniwiz wrote: can I nickname Peter Russell PR since his job is PR man?  :)
Why did I not notice that before?  ;D ;D ;D

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:31 pm

I can use NeoOffice and I downloaded OOo but when I opened my doc in the spacing got all messed up. here is what I have in png as smaller quality but I cannot get the images to load in properly in either NeoOffice or OOo

I am also attatching the odt file without the faces since I cannot import those properly. And the images of what it should look like (the inside one was too large a file and it compressed to jpg poorly but in word and the original screenshot the images look much better!)

Ideas? (in OOo the text doesnt line up or fill the boxes... its like the font is spaced wrong or something but it shouldnt be... and in NeoOffice the pictures are the wrong size and cover some text... it would be ideal if someone with Word and OOo could port it over or find a way for me to get the images in NeoOffice or fix OOo to make the font be the same spacing. the size and font are the same specs I believe, tahoma sz 11....)

Also is there a way in NeoOffice (or OOo to import pics from word or import at all without going to insert and doing it one by one slowly??)

thanks,
Yoni

P.S. I wont get to it until i fix all these other problems but if you have feedback on the colors and things I mentioned before thats welcome. But as I said first I need help on this issue.

P.P.S. can I post my .doc and start review or should i solve this issue first?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:42 pm

Yoni -

Absolutely you can post it in Word while you see if you can get it in Oo format.

You are fast - you just took this task yesterday!  :P

It might be just as quick to redo it in Oo?

But, yes, post it in Word on the Google Task page and link to it from here. (unless it's small enough to post here.)

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:52 pm

:)

but I am quick with Word and have done tri fold brochures for school and also spent a fair amount of that period working on this. It was hours concentrated into a small block of time. OO takes me far longer as I dont know it and furthermore that spacing thing is particularly troublesome because if I were to do it in NeoOffice which is supposed to be running off the OO code and then post it as a odt and the spacing was messed up for all people who view it that would be quite sad :-(

but I digress. I will post my Word file and link to it as it is too large to do here. The direct download link can be reached by clicking http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... e+Team.doc or the issue can be accessed here: http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... tail?id=70

P.S. how do I do a link with a different title as Amy did above? i.e. words (other than a URL) that can be clicked to access a URL

*Edit:* After looking into it some, I believe the problem is with copying VBA content from the .doc file and bringing it into OOo. I do not know if newer versions can do this or not and I do not know if a clever scripter could find a way to do this but I do not know how (and this is just a belief... it might not actually be the problem). The issue stems from the fact that I used text boxes and pictures in text boxes and overlaped these boxes in my word document and OOo (or at least 2.3 which is what I have for OS X) does not support that. So question is: Does anyone know if new OOo versions will let me bring in VBA content (or more specifically text boxes and pictures inside text boxes) from Word into OO?? When I try the text boxes with pictures inside recognize that there are pictures there but simply show up as black boxes.
Last edited by yoniwiz on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:19 am

Yoni -

To hide the URL, use the link button in this editor - the world with a bucket next to it - or some such thing.  :P

Even tho Lévis and Michelle are married, let's not put them into the same paragraph, I think.

I would use the word count to try and keep things even. I would also encourage you to add the name of each of their external businesses, for consistency sake.

How did you get the colors? I don't believe they are exact Hex values for J! colors, are they? If so, cool! If not, look on the Logo and Brand page and see what those values should be. Bring in a Joomla! logo - it is the Joomla! core team.

Later, I'd like to have at least one of the core team provide a bit of feedback - but we can get the copy a little closer, first, I think.

Good work!

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:07 pm

I will seperate Lévis and Michelle. I was under the impression that not all of the members have outside compaies so should I instead remove all the names of companies or should I just add the other names (those that I can find at least?)

The colors are slightly off. I will work on correcting them.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:09 pm

Might as well include who they work for.

If there are missing spots, post 'em and we'll try to fill it in.

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:37 pm

here's what I could use. then when I add this and fix the colors I will repost the .doc file.

I need either what the following people do and/or for whom (sometimes both items if company name is important)
Louis, Chris, Johan, Andy, Wilco, Rob, Mat (probably not needed to say because he is a student but if he has a second job thats good to include I guess?), Robin, Sam. Also information on Alex would be helpful to make his blub longer if possible becasue I could only include a few sentences that I understood from the profile page and his info seems shorter than the rest as I am looking over the profiles in my brochure.

(Also any news on ideas about the .doc thing? because I'm flat out of them... I feel like I can't be the only one to have had this problem before and a simple script would do it but I dont really know)

Thanks,
Yoni

Update: Colors should be perfect now. I colormatched a dowloaded logo with Apple DigitalColor Meter and inserted the RBG values in word as the custom colors for the text and color blocks. :-)
Last edited by yoniwiz on Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:18 pm

I am at a standstill until I hear back. (just an update)

Does Joomla! take time off for winter holidays?

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:14 am

I am on break from school for a little bit longer but its going to end soon and this is my prime time to get tons of work done for the GHOP contest and be really effficient. Currently I am inactive because I am waiting to hear back. If anyone can give me an update on this task or tell me that Joomla! isn't active over the holliday break I would really appreciate it!

I know its Christmas today and tommorowish but it hasnt been the whole time so I am wondering. I dont mean to bug people or be impatient but I would like to be as productive with this time as possible.

Thanks,
Yoni

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:22 am

Actually, Yoni, I've looked a couple of times, but I do not see a new tri-fold. I do not understand your question about needing a utility for Word. I had understood from our IM session that you would try to re-do this using Open Office. Once we have that, we can get it to the core and get those answers you need.

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:24 am

oh. sorry for that miscommunication. I have not been trying to do this is OO because it was not working well. Is that my only option... do it in OO or not do it?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:09 am

Yoni - it is possible to copy text and images into Oo. Hopefully, you have looked at some of the other entries. They are able to use Oo to create tri-folds. I thought you might try to do that. The benefit is all of the work is in the same format; the software is available cross platform, free of charge. We talked about these things.

If you are sticking with Word, then you might want to see why I don't see the pictures . There is a message "Quicktime and a TIFF (Uncompressed ... and I can't read the rest.)"

On the 19th, I made several suggestions (Lévis and Michelle, Color Scheme, even out the text, add business information, bring in the Joomla! logo), and then I said:
AmyStephen wrote: Later, I'd like to have at least one of the core team provide a bit of feedback - but we can get the copy a little closer, first, I think.
So, I'm waiting for revisions. Then, we will provide your copy to the core team when we ask them for additional information.

Again, what is it you are requesting regarding a utility for Word? I still do not understand that.

Do you have other questions I am still missing?

Thanks,

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:16 am

I dunno what the deal is with those pictures I suppose that it was a format thing. I am just going to try and use the template you linked to and make a simpler brochure in OO just so I can simplify this and not cause problems by using word. I guess before I missed the part about I was supposed to be getting it into OO. Regarding the utility I wanted for word I was hoping to find a way to transfer it to OO without losing the pictures because when I copy them they come in black but I am going to work it out a different way so nevermind that.  :P Sorry for that confusion.

Re: other questions it would be great to know the info I asked above about work places etc:
yoniwiz wrote: I need either what the following people do and/or for whom (sometimes both items if company name is important)
Louis, Chris, Johan, Andy, Wilco, Rob, Mat (probably not needed to say because he is a student but if he has a second job thats good to include I guess?), Robin, Sam. Also information on Alex would be helpful to make his blurb longer if possible becasue I could only include a few sentences that I understood from the profile page and his info seems shorter than the rest as I am looking over the profiles in my brochure.
Past that I think I am set.

Thanks! :-) and sorry again glad that we figured this out

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:33 am

Yoni -

Look at those items I pointed out on the 19th and update your document - in Word, if you need to do so. Fix the pictures, too.

Then, post the updated copy and a list of specific questions you need from the core.

When you have done that, we'll get your tri-fold and your questions to the core team so that they can answer your questions and provide you feedback.

No worries about the confusion; hopefully, we are back on track!

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:43 am

I fixed my Word document as requested back on the 19th or 20th  :)

I just uploaded the new one to the google issue as it is too big to upload to these forums.

My questions for the core team are "What do you do for work?" and "What is the name of the business or company where you work?"
I need this information (if there are answers that they want included) from: Louis, Chris, Johan, Andy, Wilco, Rob, Mat, Robin, Sam.

In addition I need just general information (if possible) from Alex about his background and what he brings to the team because his blurb info thing is too short and I would like to add more if possible.

Right now I am working on getting this document into OO and about the pictures and why they do not open I do not know what is causing that and, for now at least, I am not going to trouble over it because if I am putting this into OO format it may not even be a relevant problem.

Thanks,
Yoni

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:55 am

did my google issue post of the new revised odt format brochure work? i.e. did it open properly?

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:28 pm

Yes, this one opens in openoffice. 

-It would be a good idea to stick with one color theme.  All of the different colors seem distracting.
-Also, change your font to Arial (Halvetica)
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I kinda liked the colors before, but I changed it all to the blue to be consistent. I have changed the font to Helvetica as requested by the Brand Manual. Also while browsing the Brand Manual I noticed I was not complying with the requirments for the Area of Isolation so I have modified both logos to comply with that.

Click here to download the newest version

-Yoni
Last edited by yoniwiz on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:48 pm

My project is due in three days based on the two week due date. I would really like to complete it in that time frame. What do I have left to do before the I have finished?

Sorry if I seem impatient, it's just that I have been trying to work really fast and feel like I am at a point where I'm pretty inactive on this issue.
Last edited by yoniwiz on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:42 pm

If you need any info to complete this task, please send me an email and I am happy to share my IM details with to so we can discuss this.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:15 pm

Michelle Bisson is the Fundraising Team Leader and was a founding member of the Joomla!
There should still be a period after this.

Stupid spaces.  >:(
He has programmed  everything from  assembly languages upwards on everything from  microprocessors to mainframes and has written his own Mambo documentation.
You have an extra space after "programmed" and an extra space after "from".
This document  is made available under the Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.
There are two spaces after "document"
He runs his own  company: Yorkshire Media.
There are two spaces after "own"
He  runs his own Web hosting & design business in addition to working for Rochen.
There are two spaces after "He"
He has programmed in many languages including x86,  Java and PHP.
There are two spaces after "x86,"

I know I told you to remove the color, but now it looks almost boring.  Do you have any other ideas to "spice it up"?  The rainbow text was distracting, but it might be the best option.  Experiment with a couple things and if nothing works, go back to the rainbow.

Sorry for the bad feedback the first time!  :(
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”