048 - Create a Joomla! QuickStart Guide

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 048 - Create a Joomla! QuickStart Guide

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:53 am

Heavens no!  :P

It's been a busy day, read it last night and I wanted to actually follow the instructions on a blank J! site, step by step, so I knew for certain it was good. Honestly, I see this getting a lot of action.

It's not going to give ANY DEPTH AT ALL, which is EXACTLY what I hoped for. It's is intended for people to go through, first, just to have seen it all. Then, there are a number of other resources we can point out that show a lot more detail about parameters, or what authors do and how work flow happens, or how to correctly configure SEF URLs, or customizing a 404, etc., etc., etc. This is the jump in and get wet guide that will even be useful for people to see if they WANT to use Joomla! or if it could possibly meet their needs.

So, yea, I wanted to spend some time with it.

++++

Hat's off, Kevin. This is really good stuff. You nailed it!

MINOR things:

On page 4, add the red text (or something like it):

In order to set up Joomla! for this website, you first need to have a server installed on which Joomla! can run.  The easiest way to set up a server on your own computer is to use XAMPP. If you are installing Joomla! on a web host, see the Official Joomla! v 1.5 installation Guide at help.joomla.org. Do not install the sample content and skip ahead to the Sections, Categories and Articles chapter after your installation is complete.

On page 12, I think you should add a bulleted item that briefly points out how the image button beneath the editor can be used to upload and image to be inserted into an article.

On page 20, I would start with something like this : If you look at the front end of your website, you can still only see the frontpage articles. The contact information, weblinks, newsfeeds and articles not published on the frontpage are not visible. That is because...(and then the rest of what you have.)

On page 21, I would add the red text: For this website, enter “Landscape Smart”, replacing “Welcome to the Frontpage” text.

On page 38, change RSS box to Syndicate module. I know what you mean, but since you have not talked about the box on the template yet, it might throw some people.

At the very end, I recommend you add a brief conclusion. A couple of sentences that tie back to your intro - and remind the reader that you did what the Landscape company asked to have done - this, that and the other thing.

Then, BRIEFLY point out these resources:
  • forum.joomla.org - Sign up for the forums, search, and ask questions, even helping others if you are able;
  • help.joomla.org - Find more documentation and training information;
  • extensions.joomla.org - Find lots of very cool extensions to further enhance their Joomla! websites;
  • joomla.org - Find a way to give something back to the community!
This is awesome, Kevin. So very awesome! I'll look for your final so we can close this one quickly!

Sincere thanks! To your dad, as well!
Amy :)

PS - not a single item, above, is grammar or spelling related. Just new ideas that I think will enhance the guide that is so well constructed.
Last edited by AmyStephen on Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:38 am

I'll go get to work on some of those changes. The spelling and grammar... haha... yeah, that's probably a result of the fact that my dad spent an hour on that... and he's a professional editor. He's amazing.

One question - any chance i could have a 1 day extension on this? I don't know if I can get all those editing changes in tomorrow. I might be able to, but I'm not sure...

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:45 am

OK, your dad being a professional editor makes some sense. But, I read it before, too, and your work is exceptional.

Of course, Kevin, you can have time! Are you certain this isn't a four-week task? Plenty of time, I think, remaining anyway. But, in any case, you have been on task, working, as you always do, no worries!

Thanks, again,

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:50 am

Hah! I counted wrong! I've got another week... but i'll finish this weekend anyhow... haha

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:31 am

Ok, here's what is most likely a close-to-final draft, if not the end:

http://www.kahstudios.com/kevin8020/joo ... kstart.odt (NOTE: File is 5.20MB)
http://www.kahstudios.com/kevin8020/joo ... kstart.pdf (NOTE: File is 4.07MB)

A few things I would like an opinion on:

1) p12 - I completely re-organized #9 to hopefully better suit the section.
2) p49 - I took some creative license with the conclusion.

By the way... weird issue. On new chapter pages, the header doesn't update with the correct chapter name. This is because at the start of the page, the new chapter has not yet been started... working on a solution.

EDIT: Just to note, I know what the problem is. It's an issue with the Convert page styles up in the 40's... working on it now.
Last edited by Kevin8020 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:21 am

Kevin8020 wrote: Ok, here's what is most likely a close-to-final draft, if not the end:

http://www.kahstudios.com/kevin8020/joo ... kstart.pdf (NOTE: File is 4.07MB)

A few things I would like an opinion on:

1) p12 - I completely re-organized #9 to hopefully better suit the section.
Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Thanks.
Kevin8020 wrote: 2) p49 - I took some creative license with the conclusion.
Made me smile...again.  :)
Kevin8020 wrote: By the way... weird issue. On new chapter pages, the header doesn't update with the correct chapter name. This is because at the start of the page, the new chapter has not yet been started... working on a solution.
Only on Templates and Further Resources. WEIRD. Don't waste much time on this, though. Just type it in. That appears to work. Then, you can submit this wonderful guide. It's ready.

I was thinking of opening a related task for this task - create a video of the Joomla! QuickStart Guide. What do you think of that?

Mighty fine work, Kevin.

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:29 am

Alright, fixed those headers up... had to redefine the page styles, which didn't take long.

http://www.kahstudios.com/kevin8020/joo ... kstart.pdf (NOTE: File is 4.08MB)

And I LOVE the video idea... could be a great side resource! Coolo!

So, once I get final clearance on this, I know that needs to get uploaded onto the google code site... anywhere else on this one?

And a side note, I'll be sending you that e-mail here shortly :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:36 am

Upload the guides to the Google task page, please!

I'll be adding a task for the accompanying video in a minute. I'll update this thread when the new task is available.

This is wonderful work. Maybe, I did not mention that, yet?

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:10 am

Yeah, you've mentioned that now and again! Thanks for supporting me through that task... took a while and a lot of trying to make myself sound good... haha!

Google task updated! I can't wait to see who takes the video one. I'm no good with videos, so I'll be sitting that one out, but I can't wait to see how it turns out!

EDIT: Having issues with the upload... will update soon.
EDIT2: Google doesn't want to accept both files in the same comment, trying them separately.
EDIT3: Google won't accept any files... trying zip archive now.
Last edited by Kevin8020 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:22 am

It's official, files are all too big for Google... ideas?

UHH... "Project attachment quota exceeded."

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:25 am

For now, post the links, and I'll contact Google.  :P

Also I went ahead and added #167 Create a Video of the GHOP Joomla! Quickstart Guide Task #48 for whomever wants to bring to live this wonderful novel. Maybe you'll have second thoughts?

Thanks, again, Kevin!!!

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:27 am

Alright, stuff posted. And I'll consider on the video thing... part of it is my history of bad experiences with screen capture... haha!

Also, once we do get google things resolved, I'd love to pull my links down... save on my own bandwidth... haha!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:34 am

Good point!

Delete your comment, add put these links, instead:

http://JoomlaPlace.org/ghop/joomla_15_quickstart.odt (NOTE: File is 5.20MB)
http://JoomlaPlace.org/ghop/joomla_15_quickstart.pdf (NOTE: File is 4.08MB)

Thanks again!

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:42 am

Ahh, thanks for uploading those! Files are up!

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”