070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief profile

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief pro

Post by yoniwiz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:41 pm

ahhhh i didnt save that copy! I meant to but it got losttt  :(

its okay w/e i can fix it back. my only other idea is to do one pannel in blue, the next in green, then one in orange/yellow, and the last in red. otherwise I can go back to the rows of same color instead of columns. thoughts?

I will get on fixing the spacing

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief profile

Post by yoniwiz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:35 pm

After feedback I have made some more changes. The core team is now alphabetically organized, the spacing has been fixed etc etc.

Colors
Okay so... the colors were close before but I realized I hadn't used the exact hex values like Amy said and since I cant enter hex values into OOo I took the RBG values that were the same colors from the brand manual and changed all the colors to be those. Sounds just perfect, right? Well thing is, on my screen the colors in the logo I put in (which came from the site about the logo...) and the colors I took the values of from the very same page are notttttt the same. Like deffinately not the same. Sooo it's either my screen being crapppyyyy (possibly and hopeffully the case but unlikely becuase it was and they were the same values as they should be then they would be equally distorted, right?) orrr it could be that they are just plain wrong. But thats the only thing I can do for the colors unless you just want me to do it how I had it before and call it close enough? Or someone else can fix it if they really want to  :) also with these other colors (the new values) and putting it back to "rainbow" theme it was really hard to see the text so to make it "pop" some I used the bolder version of the typeface. personally, I despise the way the colors look now but that could be the fact that the colors look different on my screen than they do to the rest of the world. Maybe a screenshot of how it looks to people would clear up the confusion but its frustrating.

soooooo thats my story. I can still use a little more information about Alex and then all the info requested about about where ppl work if we still care about including that? (its not going to be fun to fit in with the spacing but w/e)

I would really love an update from Amy about getting that info... I really hate to sound like a pest but I am feeling pressured to use my break well and, with the exception of the past hour or w.e, I feel like I'm sitting on my hands.

Click here for a direct download of the latest version

Thanks,
Yoni
Last edited by yoniwiz on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief pro

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:43 pm

brad wrote: If you need any info to complete this task, please send me an email and I am happy to share my IM details with to so we can discuss this.
Yoni - I just have to laugh! You need to read the instructions, people's responses and requests, and all of the posts in your thread. Honestly, much of the delay is coming because these things are being missed.

Did you see Brad's post in your thread? Recognize him? He's a core team member who has agreed to help you with your questions.

OK. Send him a note and see if he's available. Be prepared with all of your questions for the core team because he doesn't have lots of extra time. Allow him time to work with others, too. It might take a bit.

Amy :)

guyjosephuk
I've been banned!

Post by guyjosephuk » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:01 am

I think that you need to establish some consistancy with the bio's. If it is relevant to mention one persons education level then it is relevant for all. There are also a few grammar coorections needed

eg
"He also is a longtime member of the Joomla! Extensions Directory "

Should perhaps be

He is also a longtime editor of ...

and
"He started programming at the age of twelve works on a Tandy TRS 80 and has been programming since. "

should perhaps be

He started programming at the age of twelve, on a Tandy TRS 80, and has....

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:07 am

AmyStephen wrote:
brad wrote: If you need any info to complete this task, please send me an email and I am happy to share my IM details with to so we can discuss this.
Yoni - I just have to laugh! You need to read the instructions, people's responses and requests, and all of the posts in your thread. Honestly, much of the delay is coming because these things are being missed.

Did you see Brad's post in your thread? Recognize him? He's a core team member who has agreed to help you with your questions.

OK. Send him a note and see if he's available. Be prepared with all of your questions for the core team because he doesn't have lots of extra time. Allow him time to work with others, too. It might take a bit.

I did. I have emailed him and we have already gone over his input on gTalk and he had lots of great suggestions and I made changes accordingly. Other than that, he said my brochure looked good and he would follow the thread. I didn't bother responding on the forums because he said to email him. So I did.  :) Meanwhile, I know you are busy with all these issues etc, but I am wondering, when you get a chance, if there is any update on getting additional information about people? (I just like to know what is going on) or am I supposed to be asking Brad for information about the other Core Team members? Finally, how long I should ask for suggestions before I submit my final?

guyjosephuk wrote: I think that you need to establish some consistancy with the bio's. If it is relevant to mention one persons education level then it is relevant for all. There are also a few grammar coorections needed

eg
"He also is a longtime member of the Joomla! Extensions Directory "

Should perhaps be

He is also a longtime editor of ...

and
"He started programming at the age of twelve works on a Tandy TRS 80 and has been programming since. "

should perhaps be

He started programming at the age of twelve, on a Tandy TRS 80, and has....
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with your points and I think we should have it so it is consistent but since many of the education levels are not mentioned I suppose I should take out who has degrees from where or whatnot. Anyones thoughts on this before I do? When writing these I have been taking the information from their bios which I presume they wrote and included what mattered to them. On the other hand, for consistency's sake, maybe take out the bits about who has degrees and whatnot?

I will change the second one and as for the first about the Extensions Directory could you please explain what this is to me? I do not know how to reword it without knowing what it is. My understanding of your suggestion is that I should change it to "He is also a longtime editor of the Joomla! Extensions Directory." Is this correct and is the Extensions Directory something that is not "membership based" but a code or document that is changed and edited? I apologize for the ignorance but as I said I do not know what it is.

Were there any other grammar things? I have checked it but often a second pair of eyes sees what I miss. :)

Many thanks,
Yoni
Last edited by yoniwiz on Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:35 am

Yoni -

If you need any information about the core team, Brad is the one to talk to. He is a member of the core team and has good access to other members of the team. So, please ask him what questions you have. That is why I made that connection for you - so that you could get the information you needed.

When your tri-fold is ready with all the final information, formatted as you want it, then I'll take a look again, along with Brad.

Thanks!

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:37 am

great, that clears that up a lot, thank you very much sorry for the hassle if I have been one

I'll get back to you when I have my final information.

Thanks again,
Yoni

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: 070 - Create a tri-fold brochure entitled "Joomla! Core Team" with brief profile

Post by brad » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:47 am

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:19 am

I have finished (as far as I know). Attatched is the links to my two final copies. The only difference is the color scheme. If I am only supposed to have one final copy then I choose "Joomla!CoreTeamFinal.odt" since I like it better than "Joomla!CoreTeamFinal2.odt"

My attitude, which Brad agrees with, is that it is OK to include where people work or their education backgrounds since what people wanted to share was their choices in writing their bios so I am taking this to mean some want that information about them included and some do not. That is how I justify the inconsistency in information provided.

About the colors - I used the correct RBG values from the Brand Manual that I got from the Logo Page. They look wrong to me and seem to not correspond to the the logo itself but I used the values provided. Except when I converted the green from the hex value to RBG I got 191 for the G value not 91 as the manual says so I used that becuase it looked closer...

Links:
Click here for direct download of primary final version

Clcik here for direct download of secondary color scheme final version

Thanks for the attention and feedback from everyone and I look forward to hearing back,
Yoni

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Like the colors much better.

Good having the countries listed, as well.

The layout is not right:
Brad, Shayne, Levis and Michelle - Michelle's bio spills over until the back page.

On the back page:
It says Visit Us At:, then nothing, and after deleting a couple of spaces, I see the URL. Show Joomla.org as the address, absent http:// or www.

Chris, Wilco, Johan, Alex - Alex spills over to next column
Mateusz, Louis, Andy, Sam - Sam's picture and the majority of his text is in next column
Robin, Ole, Pete, Rob - Rob is 100% on the third page.

+++

Masters in Electronic Media. (not masters in Electronic Media)
Project Manager and Lead Developer (not Project Manager: Lead Developer)

For Louis change that last sentence to state : Louis holds a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and is a founder of the web development consulting firm webimagery

+++

I hear what you are saying about the bios you copied came from what people shared. But, it's a couple of years old for some of these people and it's not the original, it's greatly condensed.

I suggest focusing on one of these copies - if you like the primary final version - go with that. Get it to fit properly. Copy it to Google. Then, let's give each of the core team members the opportunity to review and suggest revisions, or accept it.

Our goal, here, is to produce something usable and useful - something that can be shared at conferences and Joomla! Day events; with Joomla! User Groups and at work. Given this is so personally focused, their sign-off (or opportunity to sign off) will be important. I'll see if Brad agrees.

Thanks,

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:24 pm

AmyStephen wrote: The layout is not right:
Brad, Shayne, Levis and Michelle - Michelle's bio spills over until the back page.

On the back page:
It says Visit Us At:, then nothing, and after deleting a couple of spaces, I see the URL. Show Joomla.org as the address, absent http:// or www.

Chris, Wilco, Johan, Alex - Alex spills over to next column
Mateusz, Louis, Andy, Sam - Sam's picture and the majority of his text is in next column
Robin, Ole, Pete, Rob - Rob is 100% on the third page.
This concerns me because on my screen the layout is fine. I do not know how to fix a problem I can't see so I dont know how to deal with this....  ???

Update: I reinstalled OOo without using Apple System Fonts and was about to create the same problem. I will get on fixing it and repost the fixed copy.

Thanks,
Yoni

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:28 pm

I'm confused. How can you fix it, if it works on your machine?

Thanks!

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:30 pm

sorry I should have taken that line out. initially I could not fix it because it looked fine. then I deleted OOo, reinstalled it changing the font library it used and in doing so the spacing got all screwed up and the document appeared with the problems you described. I believe that the different fonts, although called the same thing, have different spacing etc so when I thought it was fine it was not to you so now I must make the fonts smaller etc

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:32 pm

Great - thanks! When it's ready, post it on Google, then post in this thread that it is available - with a link directly to the download. I'll look at it, if it's good, then, we will let the core team know to review and approve (or ignore) - so, anticipate at least 24 hours after you post - longer if revisions are required.

You are getting close.  8)
Amy

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:55 pm

The layout is not right:
Most of the odf tri-folds have been like this on my computer.  I think it is a font issue, because I use GNU/Linux.  Yoni uses a Mac, so that is why it would be like this on a Windows or Linux machine.  The pdfs always look fine, though.
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:11 pm

I have not noticed it before.

In this case, though, Yoni said he can see the problem, too, on his Mac.

Unless a special font is used, it should be the same, cross-platform.

Can you point me to a trifold where it spills over the page for you? I'd like to see what it looks like on mine, compared to yours.

Thanks!

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:32 pm

This brochure spills over more than any other one: this one goes onto the 2nd column of the 4th page!!!

The "Joomla! for personal sites" brochure cuts off the bottom part of all of the text.  The "free software pioneers" runs almost to four pages.  The "What is Joomla!" runs just onto the forth page.  "Joomla! for higher education" goes to the middle column of the 4th page, and "Joomla! for communities" just cuts off a bunch of text.  I didn't bother checking the rest; this should give you a good idea.

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:34 pm

font definitely vary by system because I was using it with the Apple "Heleticva" then the OO "Heleticva" and in NeoOffice it looks yet still different but w/e when I fix it for me hopefully it will fix it for other Windows users too...

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:42 pm

Fun! :P Thanks to both of you!

Maybe all that we can do is have the PDF work - and submit the original - someone might have to mess with it on their system. But, it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Thanks!

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:48 pm

Maybe all that we can do is have the PDF work - and submit the original - someone might have to mess with it on their system. But, it shouldn't be a huge problem.
I think what we need to do is have all of the brochure contestants submit the brochure with information on what version of Halvetica they used (Arial, Halvetica, DejaVu) and what OS was used.  It shows up differently on every os.  If we find that it is due to the fonts, we should consider choosing an open source font for everyone to work with.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:54 pm

The real problem with that, of course, is we have seven already complete and seven nearing completion. We could certainly go back and adjust those, that's fine.

Do you have a suggestion for an open source font? I'm all ears!

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:08 pm

But the brand manual calls for Heleticva (dunno how to spell it but that one) and I was under the impression Arial was a diffferent font. Furthermore, not only are seven done, all J! stuff is already in that font. But i suppose this would just be like a third option seeing as the brand manual already has a secondary one this would just be extending the options provided. Anyway, this should now work for Amy and most of the people (i.e. Windows or Mac)

The direct download links are below. Hopefully the core team wont have much for me to add since i have very little wiggle room and the only other option would be to make the font even smaller! (I like the gradients on other brochures but I do not know how to do this in OO... even if I dont do it on this because it would probably be distracting im still interested  :P)

Click here for direct download or the .pdf version

Click here for direct download of the .odt version

Thanks,
Yoni

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:17 pm

Freesans and liberation sans look like it is the best ones.  I uploaded the copies to my server.  They are at:

http://Bernsteinforpresident.com/FreeSans.ttf
http://BernsteinForPresident.com/Libera ... egular.ttf
But the brand manual calls for Heleticva
These are open source versions of Helvetica.

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:00 pm

Just confusing to me because there are so many variations that are the same but vary by tiny amounts but call themselves Heleticva or a version of but are different!!!!  >:( :( :o ???

not that I am going to worry that much because no1 outside the creator of the document would ever notice  :pop

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:21 pm

I know it is New Year's Eve so if people aren't around I get that I am just eager as always  ;D

Anyway, you said
AmyStephen wrote: When it's ready, post it on Google, then post in this thread that it is available - with a link directly to the download. I'll look at it, if it's good, then, we will let the core team know to review and approve (or ignore) - so, anticipate at least 24 hours after you post - longer if revisions are required
so I was just checking in (since it's technically due today) and seeing what's up and if I have to change it or if i'm done or if we dont know yet

happy new years!!!

-Yoni

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:34 pm

I like the gradients on other brochures but I do not know how to do this in OO...
I don't know too much about the gradient in Oo so i can't help you too much with that but what you could do is do it in something like the gimp, export it as a png, and then have it as a background image. I like what you have it looks great! ;D

ps. i didn't think there was anyone else as eager as me  ;D

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:06 am

I like the gradients on other brochures but I do not know how to do this in OO...
Go to the "fill" context menu item of whatever you want to "gradientize".  Then, go to the gradient tab, select new, and change the options to your liking.  Your new gradient will now be available under the gradient drop down menu item under the "Area" tab.

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:47 am

:-) trust me t.j. im prettyyyy eager & impatient especially when I have a deadline (and I was wrong b4 the deadline was yesterday but w/e)

and thanks tombonechamp :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:12 am

I accept it as final. Go ahead and post it on the Google Task list. If the core team need changes, we can always change it later!

Thanks so much for your contributions to Joomla! and Happy New Year!

yoniwiz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yoniwiz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:15 am

Thanks!

what do you mean post it on the task list? I am sorry I do not understand...

-Yoni

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”