064 - Create a tri-fold brochure that answers the question "What is Free Softwar

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 064 - Create a tri-fold brochure that answers the question "What is Free Sof

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:44 am

Love the theme with the cake. Love the cake with the copyleft symbol. Love most of the message but I do not like the attack on bakers who do not want to share their recipes. Try to avoid that, please.  :P

What is Free Software

Too many words, which is good, because this needs to be lightened up a bit, IMO.

there --> their (same error in the advantages of free software section) (although, this is an example of what I would like replaced.)
These bakers don't want to
share there recipes they
want you to buy there book.
teemed --> teamed

Arg! No evil cooks, please! People are free to liberate or not liberate their software. Deciding not to liberate software certainly does not make someone evil.
Free software has
teemed up with Open source
software to fight the battle
against those evil cooks who
wish to horde there recipes.
Hmm...not certain I like this, either. Are we saying GPL compatiable vs open source compliant? Not certain what hairs are being split here, or why. I'd go with "Free software guidelines are to protect the rights of users."
But unlike open source
software, free software puts
stricter guidelines on its
software so it can better
protect your rights as a user,
they want to protect you!
The Four Freedoms

party's --> parties.
●Freedom 0: The freedom to
run the program for any
purpose. You can use the
recipe for party's
Would like Rafa to comment on this, too, and he is likely with family for the holidays.

Amy :)
Advantages of Free Software -

Consider how to revise that section without talking about evil cooks. Can it stand on it's own without even questioning the integrity of the other cooks? There are honestly too many words in there anyway, so, see if it can be cooled off a tad.

ibnhafsun
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: 064 - Create a tri-fold brochure that answers the question "What is Free Sof

Post by ibnhafsun » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:10 am

I agree, TJ: I love the copylefted cake. I must admit that I was not sure if the inverted C was used by the FSF. I did a research and they did ;).

I'll try to get in touch with you (I have added you to my gmail chat).
...nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses...
http://www.todosjuntos.org
http://inmo-e.com

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:07 am

Ok i will try to have those changes up in the hour. Thanks for the advice! ;D

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:20 am

Hello here is the new draft, i tried to take out any mention of the word cook and change it to be different flavors of cake and shapes of the cake. I also tried to lighten up a lot and quit bashing so much on proprietary software ( when i think proprietary i think windows os and that i could bash for days nonstop). Let me know what you think. I am working tomorrow and will be unavailable until after 6 pacific time. I am sorry for the inconvenience that this may cause, also since this is due tomorrow can i apply for an extension on the time again (sorry i just am not good at staying under that two week limit  :laugh: ). And ibnhasfun, i have also added you to my chat list but i don't want to inconvenience you any, so if you let me know what times you are available and what time zone you are so i can see what time that would be for me i will try to be available then. Thanks!!!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:11 am

tj - I'm heading to bed, so I didn't read through your revisions, again, I want you to know how much I appreciate how well you work with others and consider all of these ideas and mold it into your work. Do not worry about the date - you have been very responsive and involved, we could ask for nothing more. Will look through tomorrow. Rafa is in Spain, so, he's not going to mind that time consideration! lol ... Amy :)

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:43 pm

You can not take it
and make it hart shaped,
you can not make it vanilla
or chocolate, your are stuck
with whatever you bought
you need the recipe 
could be better worded as:
You cannot make it
heart shaped or change the
flavor to vanilla or chocolate.
You are stuck with whatever
you bought.  You need the recipe
in order to change it.

This is
like proprietary software,
thy give you a wonderful
piece of software that you
can not edit or morph to
make your own.
Change this to
This is
like proprietary software.
You are given a wonderful
cannot edit or morph to
make your own.
Unlike
proprietary software free
software is like being given...
coma after software

...a cake recipe along with the
cake you can edit it to do
anything you wish. Like
Change to
a cake recipe along with the
cake. You can edit it to do
anything you wish.
these good neighbor's free
software wishes to protect
  your rights as a user.
change "neighbor's" to "neighbors" and put a coma after it.  Take out "wishes to" and change "protect" to "protects" as well, because free software doesn't just try!
If you wish to learn more
about anything in this
pamphlet visit the GNU
operating system website
coma after "pamphlet"
(available at
http://www.gnu.org/), or the
drop the "available at", and just put the url in parentheses.
It is like
buying a cake, you can eat
it but not make it.
semicolon, not a coma, after "cake"
This is
good and still useful but if
you wanted to make the
cake into a star using your
own cake pans you would
not be able to.
could be better worded as
This is
still useful for some purposes, but if
you wanted to make the
cake into a star using your
own cake pans, you would
not be able to.
● Joomla! : an content
  management system.
● Joomla! : a content
  management system.
● OpenOffice.org : a
  complete office suit.
● OpenOffice.org : a
  complete office suite.
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:42 pm

Hello everyone! Thank you trombonechamp for fixing my grammatical errors and helping to reword it so it made more sense. I fixed all those things in the new draft. Here you go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:19 pm

This is sooooo great! It's positive - it's easy to understand! I love it!  :-*

Some of my suggestions are to free up a bit of space since it is kind of "cramped."

This -
This is
like proprietary software.
You are given a wonderful
cannot edit or morph to
make your own.
To this:
With proprietary software,
you have a wonderful
cannot edit or morph to
make your own.
This
Unlike
proprietary software, free
software is like being given
a cake recipe along with the
anything you wish. Like
these good neighbors free
software protects your
rights as a user.
To:
With free
software, you get the
cake recipe along with the
anything you wish. In this way,
free software protects your
rights as a user.
This:
The four freedoms are
like recipes. Each contains
instructions for making your
cakes.
To:
The four freedoms are
like recipes of instructions
for making your cakes.
Advantages of Free Software - look at formatting - might have a couple of spaces in there where one is needed. A space in front of a line where it's not needed.

what ever --> whatever

I really think it's wonderful.

Great job to all of you, most especially tj!

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:13 am

Ok i fixed the wording on those things, let me know what you think. On the last suggestion you gave me
The four freedoms are
like recipes of instructions
for making your cakes.
i felt this was a little awkward so i tried to reword it to be less so let me know what you think of it, i will be unavailable tomorrow but will be on for another hour or so  and be on again early Monday morning. Thanks for everyones help!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

ibnhafsun
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ibnhafsun » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:21 am

Holy Batman! I can't catch you even with a massive overdose of coffee ;)

I was working on the review yet and now we have a new version. Just kidding :p. It's awesome.

The four freedoms are not like recipes. Software, somehow, is. Then, if you want free recipes the recipes must give you (and subsequent cookers) the four freedoms. That's the idea. And I missed it in 1.4: You started with the four freedoms but take in mind that most of us don't have a clue about what actually Free Software is.
...nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses...
http://www.todosjuntos.org
http://inmo-e.com

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:42 am

I don't drink coffee and i don't think you want to see me on coffee  :laugh: ( just kidding i don't like coffee :p and their only small changes so they only take a few minuets). That was a good point about the four freedoms not being like recipes but things the recipes must contain, however i don't see what you are getting at with this,
I missed it in 1.4: You started with the four freedoms but take in mind that most of us don't have a clue about what actually Free Software is.
if you could clarify this for me that would be great. Heres the changes, tell me what you want done! :)

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:49 pm

The four freedoms are
like the ingredients of a
recipe, each is a necessary
to make a cake.
Maybe you could change this to explain that free software is more than just cost.  Most readers will think free refers to cost, not freedom.  If you state out front that free doesn't refer to cost but freedom, the reader will not still have that impression that free means cost.  You could mention a situation where you are given a free of cost cake, but no recipie.  This is freeware.  It is very nice, just like the proprietary cake, but you still can't change it.

Make sure you remove the "http://www." from your urls.
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: 064 - Create a tri-fold brochure that answers the question "What is Free Softwar

Post by depresz » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:09 pm

Take a look on this link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0315417/. It's great lesson material to this task.
http://www.linux-france.org/~phautrive/ ... -linux.avi <= french version

The code linux is available on video Google.
Last edited by depresz on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great Hacking Opportunity Project
numbers? sure! 3d 22h on forum, about 500h of work <- this is real GHOP

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: 064 - Create a tri-fold brochure that answers the question "What is Free Softwar

Post by tj.ferrell » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:35 am

I love the vidio link, it looks good an i will try to watch it when i am next online. Thank you trombonechamp you pointed out something that i do need to fix, i think that that fits better in the definition though. I will have a new version up by noon pacific time tomorrow. And trombonechamp i would also like to thank you for all your help! I dont know how you manage to compleet your own tasks and still stay so involved with helping others with theirs :o. You have truely inspired me to start helping others more. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!  :)

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:15 pm

Ok here is the newest draft i fixed some errors that trombonechamp pointed out to me, and some errors i found in my sentence structure. Let me know what you think. ;D

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:07 pm

I know everyone is busy with the new release so just get back to me when you can, Happy New Year! ;D

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:43 pm

Well, since i have not heard back from anyone in the past 4 days i would like to submit this for a final review! ;D

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:31 am

Please upload this to Google. I accept this task as complete.

I want to thank each of you for working together to make this possible. For many people, including me, Joomla! is the first experience using free software and being involved in a free/open source community.

I would have read every word of this tri-fold just to help me understand something that was contra to all of my prior experiences and knowledge.

The way this is laid out - it is positive - it is fun - it is informative - and tj - you are a wonderful, engaging, and considerate community member. Thanks for this work on behalf of the Joomla! community,

tj.ferrell
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tj.ferrell » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:13 am

Hello, its been uploaded. Thanks for giving me a chance to participate! And i hope to see you soon, i didn't just sit and twiddle my thumbs for those four days, i decided to learn how to use Joomla! and a plan to be back again for another task, issue 68 caught my eye. Thank you to everyone who has been helping me, Especaly ibnhafsun, trombonechamp, and (of course) Amy!  ;D

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”