088 - Create a two-page document entitled "Creating a Custom 404 page"

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
The_PHP_Jedi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

088 - Create a two-page document entitled "Creating a Custom 404 page"

Post by The_PHP_Jedi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Hello. I'm Alesandro and I'm a fifteen year old freelance web developer and entrepreneur. My areas of expertise are PHP (specifically PHP5 OOP), XHTML (yes, I code in Strict), CSS, JS, HTML, some C and C++, Flash, ActionScript, etc...

I will be posting a draft of the document within the next couple of days (maybe later tonight?) for review. Hope my work is useful for the community! :D

(I have claimed the task under Google Account "k00lstuffks")

*Start Issue Description*

One line summary
Create a two-page document entitled "Create a two-page document entitled
"Creating a Custom 404 page"

Description
Download and install Joomla! using the Joomla! Installation Guide. Using
the instructions provided in this and the next Joomla! forum post, document
how to create a custom 404 page for a Joomla! v 1.5 website. Provide screen
shots and detailed, step by step instructions of the process.

Documentation written for this task must be made available under the
Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.

Skills Needed
Ability to use install a local host environment. Ability to review software
and identify features. Good Open Office and writing skills.

Difficulty
Basic.

Work Product
Attractive, correctly written white paper. Use logo and color scheme.

Time Limit
1 week

*End Issue Description*
Last edited by AmyStephen on Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ibnhafsun
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Issue 088 - Create a two-page document entitled "Creating a Custom 404 page"

Post by ibnhafsun » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:43 am

Well, Jedi (we already have a famous one, Leolam), thanks for joining and... we will be waiting for your first draft ;)

Have you read the phpgacl documentation?  ;D
...nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses...
http://www.todosjuntos.org
http://inmo-e.com

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Issue 088 - Create a two-page document entitled "Creating a Custom 404 page"

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:25 pm

Here are a couple of links to get you started.

Also, this is a two-week task, not a one week task.

# http://www.developer.joomla.org/wiki/System_error_pages
# http://www.developer.joomla.org/wiki/Custom_error_pages

Please take time, every few days, to check in and review your drafts with the community. That way, we can help answer your questions or direct you to good information needed to help you be successful with your task. This contest has been underway long enough, now, that we can certainly see better results come from closer interaction with the community. So, be certain to take advantage of that!

Look forward to reviewing your work,
Amy :)

The_PHP_Jedi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 088 - Create a two-page document entitled "Creating a Custom 404 page"

Post by The_PHP_Jedi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:11 pm

I took some time off before my birthday party to work on the documentation. I've already got the outline of the document in my mind, and I'll start writing after the party. The document will probably include:
  • What is an error 404 page?
  • How to customize your Joomla! error pages
              -Includes how to keep visitors from leaving + other tips
  • Error pages outside of Joomla!
There's probably some things missing on the list, since I had it in an unsaved document (yeah, I know... always save periodically) last night when the power went out (new UPSes arrived this morning -- kinda late :P).
The_PHP_Jedi wrote: Work Product
Attractive, correctly written white paper. Use logo and color scheme.
I'm assuming this document will be part of the Joomla! User Guide, so I'll be using the same color scheme used in the v1.5 Installation Guide PDF, but I have no clue where I should use the logo. (Maybe I'll find the answer on the Joomla! Editorial Style Guide, which I've started reading.)

I'm trying to have a rough draft done between Thursday and Friday for the community to review.

Thanks,
Jedi

Edit: I have already installed RC4 and noticed the error template structure has changed from individual error files (404.php, 403.php, etc) to one error.php file. It's a good move, and I'll write the document to reflect these changes. If by the time I'm done with the task the wiki hasn't been updated, I will take care of that too.
Last edited by The_PHP_Jedi on Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:49 pm

The_PHP_Jedi wrote: Hello. I'm Alesandro and I'm a fifteen year old freelance web developer and entrepreneur.
So, this is just a lie? You're not really 15? What else is a lie? Are you really, Alesandro?  ???

Happy 16th Birthday, Jedi!

The_PHP_Jedi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The_PHP_Jedi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:55 pm

hehe, thanks! :D The cake is not a lie though. ;)

Also check the edit I made to the post... you seem to have posted just as I was editing it.

(Also answer my question on the previous post... *pokes Amy*)
Last edited by The_PHP_Jedi on Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_PHP_Jedi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The_PHP_Jedi » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:52 pm

Woo! First draft is ready! I've put in everything I can think of regarding error pages. I haven't proofread it yet, but I will do after I take a break.

I'll be waiting for feedback from the community! (although I haven't seen anyone else post in this thread, except ibnhafsun)

Version 0.1.3
http://ecocubetech.com/tpj/ghop/joomla/ ... 4_page.odt

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:24 am

Sometimes you use Halvetica, and sometimes you use Georgia.

Also, sometimes file names are in quotes and sometimes they aren't.
This document shows you what are 404 error pages, how to customize them, how to keep the visitor on your site, and references to other error pages.
This could be better worded as: "This document shows you what 404 error pages are, and how to customize them to reference other pages and keep visitors on your site."
Caution: It is recommended you do a backup of error.php before you do any changes to the file.
You should explain how to do this. 

Removing technical details
The average user will not want to see these details, and just want a way to get back to your content. In the error.php file, you should remove all code that starts with “$this->error->”, such as “$this->error->message”. Remember to remove the tags that are immediately before and after this code.
Or, what you may want to do is move these to a section at the bottom that says:
"If you would like to report this problem to an administrator (mailto:[email protected]) and give them these details:"
You then move $this->error->message, etc. here.  It is probably not a good idea to remove this stuff, because this will tell the admin what is wrong.
Leonard Bernstein for President -
Web Development Services: www.BernsteinForPresident.com
My Software Freedom Blog: Trombonechamp.Wordpress.com

The_PHP_Jedi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The_PHP_Jedi » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:33 am

Change log:
  • Added "how to backup error.php/error.css" in caution areas
  • Added single quotes on all file names and directory locations
  • Fixed inconsistencies in font faces
  • Modified document summary
  • Modified "Removing Technical Details" (Also renamed to "Moving Technical Details")
trombonechamp wrote: This could be better worded as: "This document shows you what 404 error pages are, and how to customize them to reference other pages and keep visitors on your site."
I have no idea why I wrote the 'reference' part... I modified the line to say "This document shows you what 404 error pages are, how to customize them, and how to keep visitors on your site."
trombonechamp wrote: Or, what you may want to do is move these to a section at the bottom that says:
"If you would like to report this problem to an administrator (mailto:[email protected]) and give them these details:"
You then move $this->error->message, etc. here.  It is probably not a good idea to remove this stuff, because this will tell the admin what is wrong.
Great suggestion. I wrote that part in a hurry and didn't really think of that.

Here's v0.1.7...
http://ecocubetech.com/tpj/ghop/joomla/ ... _0.1.7.odt

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:43 pm

Who is your audience?  If it is newbies, you might want to include the command for unix-based machines to back up that file.  I am pretty sure Windows servers still run the GUI, but for unix servers, you need to type

Code: Select all

cp filename.ext filename.bk.ext
in the directory to back up a file.  If you want to mention how to restore it, it is just the opposite:

cp filename.bk.ext filename.ext
If you are writing this for more experienced admins, it should be fine as it is.
Due to the large number of web servers available in the internet, please look at your web server's documentation for details on how to customize server error pages.
Since most of the people here will be using Apache or IIS (possibly even lighttpd), it may be a good idea to include instructions for these servers, and then say "if you use something else, go find help elsewhere."  At the least, you should probably link to some pages that do this for Apache, IIS, and lighttpd.

This is really good!!!

The_PHP_Jedi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The_PHP_Jedi » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:38 am

trombonechamp wrote: Who is your audience?  If it is newbies, you might want to include the command for unix-based machines to back up that file.
The audience will probably be novice-intermediate users... I could add the command, but I'm sure newbies know how to copy files anyways ;) (I could add the line, just don't think it's really necessary -- more input from community + word from reviewers requested)
Also I'm a linux user (no, not an ubuntu user), so I know my CLI ;) but thanks for putting in the commands anyways
trombonechamp wrote: Since most of the people here will be using Apache or IIS (possibly even lighttpd), it may be a good idea to include instructions for these servers, and then say "if you use something else, go find help elsewhere."  At the least, you should probably link to some pages that do this for Apache, IIS, and lighttpd.
I think linking should be better, but idk what is the "policy", if you will, on external linking on documentation for Joomla!... I thought about linking, but then I had the concern of outdated links being in the docs.. but then again, writing it in the docs would end up in the same situation... eventually outdated information.
trombonechamp wrote: This is really good!!!
I'm not usually a good writer, but apparently I'm pretty good writing documentation :P
Note: In Joomla! 1.0, the error page templates are separated per HTTP error code ('404.php', '500.php', etc...).
Can someone verify this? I know that in Joomla! 1.5 RC3, the scheme described above was used, but idk if it was really used in Joomla! 1.0... I just assumed it was at the moment of writing.

Possible changes:
  • Add commands to copy files in Unix-based systems
  • Adding links to Apache, IIS, etc. docs for customizing error pages.
  • Correction of Joomla! 1.0 reference information.

I'll be away from Monday afternoon until Tuesday night or Wednesday. Happy Holidays!

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:43 pm

The audience will probably be novice-intermediate users...
Yes, scrap the unix command.  Those people are expected to know how to use their server.
Also I'm a linux user (no, not an ubuntu user), so I know my CLI Wink but thanks for putting in the commands anyways
Yay!  Another GNU/Linux user!  Even on these forums you don't find many of those!
I think linking should be better, but idk what is the "policy", if you will, on external linking on documentation for Joomla!... I thought about linking, but then I had the concern of outdated links being in the docs.. but then again, writing it in the docs would end up in the same situation... eventually outdated information.
Other people have linked to Joomla! forum entries, but this could be the "Pingus effect"
Can someone verify this? I know that in Joomla! 1.5 RC3, the scheme described above was used, but idk if it was really used in Joomla! 1.0... I just assumed it was at the moment of writing.
I know I have a 404.php in my installation of Joomla! 1.0, but I don't have any other error numbers. 

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:47 pm

I don't see a /templates//css/error.css or /templates//error.php file.

What am I missing? I wonder if that is old documentation? Or, is there an example error.php file we can copy from somewhere to get started?

I'm going to have to ask around. I originally proposed this task and used a thread I was in for the example. But, these links were added - I assumed by the documentation folks. My suggestions were a "work around" since I did not see any other solution.

But, I believe you are talking about files that I do not see existing. So, we might need more information. Do you know where those files are?

We'll figure it out. Now, do you understand how important this work is? This is a valuable document. Thank you for taking this task for our community.

Last edited by AmyStephen on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:15 pm

I don't see a /templates//css/error.css or /templates//error.php file.
Mine is only in the "system" directory.  I don't think all templates specify error pages, and just use the default.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:22 pm

I noticed that, too. I also tried to navigate to a URL within my site that does not exist. That resulted in an error message "Notice: Undefined index: option in D:\VirtualWebsites\JoomlaPlace\JoomlaGHOP\includes\router.php on line 226." I do not believe the error.php file was used.

Need more info...

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:32 pm

We are talking with a developer on this.

trombonechamp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trombonechamp » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:18 pm

I think I got the Joomla! standard error page.  It looks like the picture I uploaded.  It only happens when you pass an article number to index.php that doesn't exist.  For example, this url:

/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=999999999999&Itemid=99999999999
If you go to a page that doesn't exist, you get the standard 404 page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:49 pm

Thanks, Max. I should have been specific as the problem is with SEF URL pages. In particular, the SEF URL option absent index.php (so 2nd and 3rd.)  But, you are right in that this can be documented using that testing. Then, hopefully, the bug will be figured out..

Thanks for all you do, Max.

Amy

The_PHP_Jedi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The_PHP_Jedi » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:31 am

Well I'm back a bit earlier :D I see a lot of posts, so I'm going to read them carefully and reply!
trombonechamp wrote: Other people have linked to Joomla! forum entries, but this could be the "Pingus effect"
I'll add in the links in the next revision.
trombonechamp wrote: I know I have a 404.php in my installation of Joomla! 1.0, but I don't have any other error numbers. 
Thanks for verifying.

AmyStephen wrote: I don't see a /templates//css/error.css or /templates//error.php file.

What am I missing? I wonder if that is old documentation? Or, is there an example error.php file we can copy from somewhere to get started?

But, I believe you are talking about files that I do not see existing. So, we might need more information. Do you know where those files are?
That is very true... I now noticed not all templates have an error.php and error.css file included. I'll need to add to the document how to copy these files from /templates/system/error.php and /templates/system/css/error.css into their template's folder and then proceed, if necessary.
Also regarding "old documentation", I'm writing this document from viewing the file structure and Joomla!'s behavior, not from previous documentation, since it is probably outdated (anyways, I have not found previous documentation on custom error pages for Joomla!).
AmyStephen wrote: We'll figure it out. Now, do you understand how important this work is? This is a valuable document. Thank you for taking this task for our community. And personally if I would have more time, I would volunteer more hours to open source projects... but Google's incentive has "made time" ;) in my busy schedule... Developing new technologies, preparing to launch a startup, working on side projects for personal benefit/practice and school takes away most of your free time, unfortunately.
I am realizing how important this is, because when I Google "Joomla custom 404" or "Joomla custom error page", and variations of these, I cannot find any actual guide on doing this for Joomla!. This document is also very important since old documentation for Joomla! 1.0 wouldn't apply to Joomla! 1.5 due to the changes in file structure for error pages.

AmyStephen wrote: I noticed that, too. I also tried to navigate to a URL within my site that does not exist. That resulted in an error message "Notice: Undefined index: option in D:\VirtualWebsites\JoomlaPlace\JoomlaGHOP\includes\router.php on line 226." I do not believe the error.php file was used.

Need more info...
AmyStephen wrote: Thanks, Max. I should have been specific as the problem is with SEF URL pages. In particular, the SEF URL option absent index.php (so 2nd and 3rd.)  But, you are right in that this can be documented using that testing. Then, hopefully, the bug will be figured out..
I didn't take into consideration SEF URLs... I'll experiment more with Joomla!'s SEF URLs and see if it is possible to use the template's error pages... (maybe using the code Amy posted on another thread, but that involves editing of the template source files)

Please let me know if there is any other way for Joomla! to also use error.php when using SEF URLs.

For the next revision...
  • Adding links for Apache, IIS, etc. instructions on customizing error pages.
  • Adding notes to copy files from System template if not provided by template.
And after publishing the next revision, going to experiment with SEF URLs error pages. Any extra info on this is welcome!

Well, I see I have plenty of work to do in the morning! Happy Holidays!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:50 pm

The_PHP_Jedi wrote: That is very true... I now noticed not all templates have an error.php and error.css file included. I'll need to add to the document how to copy these files from /templates/system/error.php and /templates/system/css/error.css into their template's folder and then proceed, if necessary.
I wonder, do they have to copy these into their own template folder? I need to do some experimenting of my own. In the Milkyway template, the system.css is linked to:
baseurl ?>/templates/system/css/system.css" type="text/css" />
The application routes to the templates/system/error.php file with errors. I don't know if you can copy that file into your template folder to override the existing one. Might want to test that theory. (Maybe you have already tested it. I have not.)
The_PHP_Jedi wrote: I didn't take into consideration SEF URLs... I'll experiment more with Joomla!'s SEF URLs and see if it is possible to use the template's error pages... (maybe using the code Amy posted on another thread, but that involves editing of the template source files)

Please let me know if there is any other way for Joomla! to also use error.php when using SEF URLs.
For now, do not document that work around method I posted. I hope that the SEF URL 404 issue is resolved as a bug. Since I was able to figure out a 404 in the template using the ItemID, this certainly can be fixed in the appropriate place in the router. We have developer attention on it and the problem will be (or has been) added to the tracker. We will continue to work with the developers on this and get back to you. For now, assume it works for all types of URLs and document the non-SEF URL. (specially, avoid the SEF URL without index.php)
The_PHP_Jedi wrote: For the next revision...
  • Adding links for Apache, IIS, etc. instructions on customizing error pages.
  • Adding notes to copy files from System template if not provided by template.
No reason to add any Apache or IIS error pages. Most end users do not have access to the web server configuration, anyway, and it is outside the scope of Joomla!. There are better sources of that than us. Let's instead stick with the error.php file and the various errors it is able to show.

Thanks!

The_PHP_Jedi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The_PHP_Jedi » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:58 pm

AmyStephen wrote: I wonder, do they have to copy these into their own template folder? I need to do some experimenting of my own. In the Milkyway template, the system.css is linked to:
baseurl ?>/templates/system/css/system.css" type="text/css" />
The application routes to the templates/system/error.php file with errors. I don't know if you can copy that file into your template folder to override the existing one. Might want to test that theory. (Maybe you have already tested it. I have not.)
Uh... copying system.css won't do much.... I 'm not sure where that is used, but it's not in the error.php file. It's probably best to copy error.php and error.css files into your template folder, instead of editing the System template, as this can be used for backups, etc... (probably shouldn't be tampered with anyways)
AmyStephen wrote: For now, do not document that work around method I posted. I hope that the SEF URL 404 issue is resolved as a bug. Since I was able to figure out a 404 in the template using the ItemID, this certainly can be fixed in the appropriate place in the router. We have developer attention on it and the problem will be (or has been) added to the tracker. We will continue to work with the developers on this and get back to you. For now, assume it works for all types of URLs and document the non-SEF URL. (specially, avoid the SEF URL without index.php)
Alright. It's better to have it fixed in the core than add possibly buggy and unreliable workarounds. :D
If necessary, before final release of the doc, add a note saying that this procedure will not work for SEF URLs. Hopefully by then the core will be modified accordingly to issue this bug, though!
AmyStephen wrote: No reason to add any Apache or IIS error pages. Most end users do not have access to the web server configuration, anyway, and it is outside the scope of Joomla!. There are better sources of that than us. Let's instead stick with the error.php file and the various errors it is able to show.
Alright, I won't modify this section.

Change log:
  • Added note regarding 'error.php' and 'error.css' files not being in template directory.
  • Changed some words for more smoothness and understanding.
  • Replaced first 'error.php' screenshot with new screenshot in 'Changing Visual Styles' section.
Version 0.2.0
http://ecocubetech.com/tpj/ghop/joomla/ ... _0.2.0.odt

Edit: Corrected version number
Last edited by The_PHP_Jedi on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_PHP_Jedi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The_PHP_Jedi » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:21 pm

Just wanted to acknowledge my presence... I was away on a three day vacation; arrived earlier today.

Happy Holidays!

(P.S. my task is due on Monday Dec 31st... waiting on community feedback for v2.0)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:56 am

OK. I've been trying to get the SEF URL 404 issue resolved, but it might take a bit longer.

I'm very pleased with this work. Please upload it to your Google Task page and I will close your task.

Thanks very, very much for your contribution to the Joomla! community!

This task is complete.

The_PHP_Jedi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The_PHP_Jedi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:51 pm

Alright. Thank _You_!

I posted the document on the GHOP task page @ http://code.google.com/p/google-highly- ... tail?id=88

Hope you guys get the SEF issue resolved before final release :)

Again, thanks. It's been a pleasure contributing to an Open Source project :) I'm sure to take on another task as soon as possible!

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”