167 - Create a Video of the GHOP Joomla! Quickstart Guide Task

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: 167 - Create a Video of the GHOP Joomla! Quickstart Guide Task

Post by MiCCAS » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:03 am

And it's up :)

Check it out, let me know what you think.
MiCCAS.net Free PC Services

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:04 am

Modules video is now available, and am about to record the Templates one.

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:41 am

.... *sniff*.... I..... *sniff*...... I ..... *sniff*... I'm done....

What.... me.... oh....... *sniff*......

Well guys, thanks for all your help. It's all done.. uploaded and ready for people to learn!

Hope you enjoyed it, and thanks to amy and kevin for all your help!

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:47 pm

I just had the chance to watch the last ones! Great job throughout!! The only thing that whooshed past me was menus slide 21... could be a tiny bit longer if possible.

Other than that - you are amazing! Good work!
We should probably link to this from the users guide maybe too... thoughts?

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:30 am

Kevin8020 wrote: I just had the chance to watch the last ones! Great job throughout!! The only thing that whooshed past me was menus slide 21... could be a tiny bit longer if possible.

Other than that - you are amazing! Good work!
We should probably link to this from the users guide maybe too... thoughts?
I'm going to buy a domain name specifically for this me thinks...

http://www.  joomla15quickstart  .com ??

Video will be uploaded in the next 15 minutes.

Any idea when I'll get a review hehe I'm anxious to get more done - this is super exciting :)

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:35 am

This is exciting!

And check with amy on that last bit... I like the idea... but make sure the Joomla! team doesn't have something random up their sleeves :P

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:45 am

Kevin8020 wrote: This is exciting!

And check with amy on that last bit... I like the idea... but make sure the Joomla! team doesn't have something random up their sleeves :P
hehe yeah true.

Have you got msn or skype mate?

I've met so many new people through this. Anyway, video is uploaded so I'm ready for a review :)

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:39 am

Yeah, I've got an MSN. Assuming school isn't in full swing, I can usually be found (timezone forgiving) - [email protected] on MSN (yeah, confusing I know).

It's been fun watching you put these together... and watching them...

This HAS been fun :D

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:22 am

I've added you to the GHOPPERS (no, not grasshoppers :P) area on msn :D It's starting to get crowded in there :)

Still waiting for this to be reviewed, would love to start on a new project :)

Kevin8020
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Kevin8020 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:32 am

I sent an e-mail off to Amy too as her PM box is full... hopefully that'll get her attention!

By the way, Amy, your inbox is full and I can't send you stuff... and I don't know if my e-mails are getting through! Did my e-mail a few weeks back with the stuff you asked me for get through?

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:46 am

Kevin8020 wrote: I sent an e-mail off to Amy too as her PM box is full... hopefully that'll get her attention!

By the way, Amy, your inbox is full and I can't send you stuff... and I don't know if my e-mails are getting through! Did my e-mail a few weeks back with the stuff you asked me for get through?
Already done that :(

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:06 am

How are my Quick Start creators?  8)  8)

I gotta tell you both - when we started talking about working with Google on this project, we really wondered if it would be worth our time to work with pre-university students.

I feel humbled by both of your efforts.

We have been very busy this last week testing Joomla! v 1.5 because very soon now it will be released to the world. I don't know if you have a sense of how many times this guide and video will be used. I don't know if you realize how many people you have helped. I try to help in the forums quite a bit. I know what good this will do. I have already started to point people to the guide and also to the videos - before they were complete.

I'm so blown away by this.

You will save COUNTLESS websites from saying "Welcome to the Frontpage" - alone!

It's all so good. I just can't say enough.

OK. I provided an FTP server address and username and password. I also recommend uploading to  http://www.veoh.com/ since we have found that they have excellent quality. When these are uploaded, add the links to the source files to the Google Task page. I'll close it when that's done. I'll let both of you know when we have your material in the Wiki.

We will talk again. You have both made Joomla! better. What a positive difference you have made, sincere thanks.
Amy :)

PS - I was touched by the last message, too. Thanks.  :)

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:01 am

AmyStephen wrote: How are my Quick Start creators?  8)  8)

I gotta tell you both - when we started talking about working with Google on this project, we really wondered if it would be worth our time to work with pre-university students.

I feel humbled by both of your efforts.

We have been very busy this last week testing Joomla! v 1.5 because very soon now it will be released to the world. I don't know if you have a sense of how many times this guide and video will be used. I don't know if you realize how many people you have helped. I try to help in the forums quite a bit. I know what good this will do. I have already started to point people to the guide and also to the videos - before they were complete.

I'm so blown away by this.

You will save COUNTLESS websites from saying "Welcome to the Frontpage" - alone!

It's all so good. I just can't say enough.

OK. I provided an FTP server address and username and password. I also recommend uploading to  http://www.veoh.com/ since we have found that they have excellent quality. When these are uploaded, add the links to the source files to the Google Task page. I'll close it when that's done. I'll let both of you know when we have your material in the Wiki.

We will talk again. You have both made Joomla! better. What a positive difference you have made, sincere thanks.

PS - I was touched by the last message, too. Thanks.  :)
No worries Amy.. but can you do me one huge favour?

If you get a lot of questions on the same thing, or have a good idea for a video, let me know.. I want to continue making these :) I can't code as well as the Joomla guys, but if I can still help with videos heck I'll do 10 a day :)

I got your PM, and will be uploading the videos shortly :)

And Amy, Thank YOU for all your help that you've given myself, Kevin any every other GHOP entrant. This has personally shown me that Joomla is an easy place to contribute, without having the "set" people.. if you know what I mean. Being able to come online and be told "do what you want, when you want.. here's a list.. do what you think you can do, do what you want to do, let us know if you need help". I don't think it's a feeling I can explain, but you'll know it if you feel it!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:11 am

That is really, really encouraging to hear you say that.  8)

I wanted to point something else out to you Melbourne Joomla! Day is coming up February 2. Two core team members, Brad Baker, who is also responsible for the forums and infrastructure, and Sam Moffatt, a core developer, will both be there. It might be fun to attend. Brad would be a good one to contact - although he's always very busy. It'd be cool if you could. Let me know!

You might consider participating with the Documentation Working Group, too, if you want to help with more videos. Chris Davenport would be the one to talk to there.

Again, thanks!

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:19 am

AmyStephen wrote: That is really, really encouraging to hear you say that.  8)

I wanted to point something else out to you Melbourne Joomla! Day is coming up February 2. Two core team members, Brad Baker, who is also responsible for the forums and infrastructure, and Sam Moffatt, a core developer, will both be there. It might be fun to attend. Brad would be a good one to contact - although he's always very busy. It'd be cool if you could. Let me know!

You might consider participating with the Documentation Working Group, too, if you want to help with more videos. Chris Davenport would be the one to talk to there.

Again, thanks!
I don't think I'll be able to make it unfortunately, I've already tried :(

And as for Documentation, it's certainly something I will be looking into.. I'm on the #joomladocs at the moment and am .... *trying* to help out :)

I sent you an e-mail too :)

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:04 am

okie dokie, it's all uploaded to the ftp server you PMed me Amy :)

14mb zipped up

Any idea when I'll be able to have a review? If you're busy then that's cool.. wait, that is a silly question isn't it Amy? Amy not busy.. yikes :)

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:38 pm

Amy,

I noticed you've set my forum post as complete (thanks) but the google thread still says it's claimed. Is there anything else you needed from me?

I know I'm probably sounding really annoying now but I am really anxious about setting up a website for a non-profit organisation. I haven't had the opportunity to do that yet, nor have I had the opportunity to setup a live Joomla 1.5 website :D

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:47 pm

EXCELLENT!!!!

I closed that - and am awaiting the words: I claim this task - on the next entry.

Did you also upload to http://www.veoh.com/ ? It would be great if you did. Then, we will embed those into the wiki, etc.

Thanks again and again,

MiCCAS
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MiCCAS » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:49 pm

AmyStephen wrote: EXCELLENT!!!!

I closed that - and am awaiting the words: I claim this task - on the next entry.

Did you also upload to http://www.veoh.com/ ? It would be great if you did. Then, we will embed those into the wiki, etc.

Thanks again and again,
Too late, I already did.. seconds after you posted.. hehe. I'm not sure if http://www.veoh.com/ will accept my type of video? I'll check it out though.

Thanks so much.

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”